• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
This is also why I do not think we'd get Kamui as a character in the next Smash. Robin fits the role of representing the Avatar tactician, and since transformations are difficult to do without being the Final Smash, the Dragonstone really wouldn't play into Kamui's moveset anyway, so Kamui likely wouldn't be a good character to utilize.
Kamui could transform parts of their body into dragonesque forms at will, or fight with a projected dragon soul to augment their powers.

Basically how I imagine Tiki would fight, but with a sword and hooves and stuff. :3

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
I wish Overalls Wario was an unique character with moves based on Wario Land games...
Eh keep him a clone but change some moves. Basically Project M Wario as an option.

I'd rather that than a generic brawler type character that a lot of people come up with for "Wario Land Wario". A more offensive playstyle of Wario's moveset ala PM Wario to contrast how defensive Brawl/4 Wario is though? That'd be amazing in my eyes.

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Kamui could transform parts of their body into dragonesque forms at will, or fight with a projected dragon soul to augment their powers.

Basically how I imagine Tiki would fight, but with a sword and hooves and stuff. :3
If they'd be willing to use that kind of mechanic I could see that being interesting. But its never been incorporated in FE before, so I definitely find it questionable.

The problem is that's HW Impa...

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
If they'd be willing to use that kind of mechanic I could see that being interesting. But its never been incorporated in FE before, so I definitely find it questionable.
I mean in Smash.

Creative liberties ain't exactly new in Sakurai's vision.

Troykv

Smash Master
Actually, there's a significant factor to the current FE reps that people overlook.

:4marth:: First Fire Emblem character to be a protagonist of more than one game (in fact, the only one by the time Brawl was in the works). FE 1, 3, and their remakes 11, 12.

:4myfriends:: Protagonist of FE 9 and 10. Also the only Non-Marth to get a significant character to take his helm in 13's descendants in the form of the last Free DLC map, Priam.

:4robinm::4robinf:: One of effectively 3 Protagonists of FE13, but a PLAYABLE My Unit class was first implimented into FE 12 and was written into the story, this CONCEPT, while not being the exact same character is in fact taking the sole protagonist spot in IF.

:roymelee: and :4lucina: were rushed into the roster as Marth clones for different reasons, but should be considered exceptions to the rule.
As a little extra detail, there are other "Lords" that appear in more than one game discounting Awakening (Roy himself, Eliwood, Hector, Seliph and Leif), although none of these is usable in the "main" mode except Leif (In Seisen no Keifu), but although relatively important compared to all others except Seliph, Julia and others have not mentioned; he is not a protagonist.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
As a little extra detail, there are other "Lords" that appear in more than one game discounting Awakening (Roy himself, Eliwood, Hector, Seliph and Leif), although none of these is usable in the "main" mode except Leif (In Seisen no Keifu), but although relatively important compared to all others except Seliph, Julia and others have not mentioned; he is not a protagonist.
Ike and Marth are the main ones you think of as they're the main characters in two games (some argue Micaiah actually is in RD, but she really shares the spotlight with Ike).

Leif is actually the only other main Lord who is playable in two separate games during the main story, though in Genealogy he's not a Lord. Eliwood and Hector are playable in FE6, but only in the post-game.

And Roy? He's only mentioned in 7. (Or does he appear in the ending?)

I just want Impa. Skyward Sword or Hyrule Warriors, I don't care. I wouldn't even care if she's an outright Sheik clone either.
Sheik semiclone is really the only way I see Impa getting in without her getting an original fighting style outside of HW...

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Roy does appear in the FE7 ending but only in the American and Japanese versions. The scene was removed in the European version of the game.

Sheik semi-clone would be an okay route for Impa. If she'd turn out to be one, I expect her as one of the earlier DLC characters to be revealed to be honest.

Troykv

Smash Master
Ike and Marth are the main ones you think of as they're the main characters in two games (some argue Micaiah actually is in RD, but she really shares the spotlight with Ike).

Leif is actually the only other main Lord who is playable in two separate games during the main story, though in Genealogy he's not a Lord. Eliwood and Hector are playable in FE6, but only in the post-game.

And Roy? He's only mentioned in 7. (Or does he appear in the ending?)
Yeah, Seliph and Roy (a younger/child one in the Roy's case) appear in the ending from Thraccia 776 and Rekka no Ken (FE7)
respectively.

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I thought Seliph appeared before the ending of Thracia 776, honestly. I do know that Thracia 776 appears between various chapters of Genealogy.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Not enough King K.Rool and Isaac in that video. Goku and Shrek should've also appeared 4dalulz

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
magolor is that popular? still not enough to overthrow the Dee
I think Magolor is there because he represents who the author of the video wanted while Ridley and Shovel Knight reflected his friend's choices.

Not enough King K.Rool and Isaac in that video. Goku and Shrek should've also appeared 4dalulz
This and the lack for Shrek was also pretty disturbing. :troll:

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
If Shovel Knight gets in, I also want to play as the Floppy Bird. :rolleyes:

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
I just want Impa. Skyward Sword or Hyrule Warriors, I don't care. I wouldn't even care if she's an outright Sheik clone either.
I'm not really that keen on Impa....but if we did get her I'd want her Skyward Sword form.

I think it looks so much cooler than her Hyrule Warriors form.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I'm not really that keen on Impa....but if we did get her I'd want her Skyward Sword form.

I think it looks so much cooler than her Hyrule Warriors form.
This could be a sollution to that:

I also am more fan of the darker skinned Impa to be honest.

NachoOfCheese

Smash Ace
NNID
NachoOfCheese
Guys, I just hit the lab. We need to talk about Mii Gunner.
I run a short thin 3112, and this guy is (brace yourself) the bomb. The fact that both Bombs and Grenades autocancel lead to incredible zoning, edgeguarding, and forcing approaches. I'm not kidding, Gunner is probably borderline Villager in terms of being annoying. Also, he has Villager's Fair except even better because it has recoil properties for movement gimmicks. Speaking of movement, short thin Gunner is about as mobile as Zero Suit Samus. Combine this with Grenade Launch and Bomb drop B-reversals and you have a real killer on your hands. Did I mention his edgeguarding? All of this dude's projectiles wreck shop on and offstage, which can lead to some real lobsided matchups (RIP Donkey Kong)
Mid-high tier if I were to guess. He gets held back by some notable stuff. The biggest obstacle? Tournement rule sets.

Last edited:

random rendum

Smash Journeyman
I think Magolor is there because he represents who the author of the video wanted while Ridley and Shovel Knight reflected his friend's choices.

This and the lack for Shrek was also pretty disturbing. :troll:
ok that makes sense, I like Magolor and support him but I just found it weird to not have BDee, but he could just not want jim

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Comparing those is not a good comparison, at least Shovel Knight was available in Nintendo consoles and not pure shovelware like Flappy Bird.
Flappy Bird uses Warp Pipes in the game, almost the same thing. :smirk:

Okay, it's not. But to me, it is.

IT'S JUST A STUPID CHOICE OKAY! :estatic:

PushDustIn

Salt Lord
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
PushDustIn
3DS FC
3695-0954-3750
The only thing voting for ATs and bosses will do is raise their likeliness of being considered for future Smash games. That isn't a bad thing, but raising expectations too high is.

For this game, however, the development team will likely only consider characters that they can add to the game without compromising any of the base game's content.

That inherently means any sort of NPC roles is excluded:
- Assist Trophies (Lyn, Midna, Ghirahim)
- Poké Balls (Meowth, Eevee, Mew)
- bosses (Ridley, Yellow Devil, Master Hand)
- Final Smash cameos (Chrom, X, Dunban)

I guess, though I also think popularity won't be the sole deciding factor. It's possible they'll look at less popular choices as well and pick characters that would bring something unique to the game. The ballot isn't a popularity contest.

In fact, I think Mr. Game & Watch was from a lone suggestion for Melee. (@ PushDustIn PushDustIn could confirm this.)
The Game and Watch @Frostwraith is talking about comes from the Smash 64 polls. Someone asked for his inclusion as a background element and he included a description of some of the games he was in. Sakurai identified them in his response.

random rendum

Smash Journeyman
I honestly think characters who have never been on Nintendo have no chance until they get a game on the wii u, tbh OctoDad has a higher chance than Meatboy for being on a Nintendo console, like someone with a Zelda on Epona avatar quoted,

Dev: I want my character in smash even though i dont support the company and it doesn't make good sales

tbh devs are going overboard, if they're lucky we'll get two 3rd parties, but it honestly pisses me off that people who don't support Nintendo want them to get people to buy that characters platform

CatRaccoonBL

You can do it!
NNID
RaccoonBL
3DS FC
2294-4606-0767
I actually want a Wario more based on the Warioware games instead of "lol, funny man who is fat and farts!"

I mean really, a moveset based on a game designer sounds awesome!...And we get nothing of the sort!

Last edited:

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
I actually want a Wario more based on the Warioware games instead of "lol, funny man who is fat and farts!"

I mean really, a moveset based on a game designer sounds awesome!...And we get nothing of the sort!
Which is why we need Mona in Smash since she could easily represent those micro games (even her trademark weird ones). But her chances are little to zero since the games aren't that popular and Game & Wario was rather..... divisive at best.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand

His current moveset is incredibly fun and creative. Perfectly captures the quick, snappy and random microgames of the Warioware series. The acrofatic approach that tries to imitate the microgames was honestly the best direction they could have went, all while adding two iconic elements of the character from each series. (The bike and the shoulder bash, though the latter got removed from Smash 4 for some weird ass reason.)

He has practically three moves in the Wario Land series (throwing, shoulder bashing and butt stomping. Transformations typically require him getting hit BY enemies), and he doesn't even fight in Warioware. They could have made him a brawler-type character and try to capture his masculinity and strength, but we don't really need more generic heavyweights. They could have made him borrow moves from various microgames but that would have essentially made him Game&Watch 2. Instead they looked at the design and appeal of the Warioware games, tried to fit the whole concept of it into a moveset and emphasized Wario's zany and unpredictable side to let him stand out even more. Wario stands out from the whole cast in a GOOD way. Personally, I think his moveset design is perfect, conceptually and functionally, and it makes him an incredibly versatile character.

It's always disheartening whenever I see people knock his moveset for being "original". Why? There's nothing wrong with that! A lot of love and care went into his current one, particularly his animations and sound effects. (his double jump is actually a straight up reference to his official art in Warioware Twisted and yet ya'll who complain probably would have never thought of a neat touch like that) People just focus on the fart and the lack of the shoulder bash but they can't see the forest for the trees.

Also another neat touch specific to Smash 4 Wario: All his Smash attacks are more crude and "Wario-fied" versions of Mario's.

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
So many people who argued that Ridley is possible (not for Smash 4 but in general) instantly flip flop once Sakurai says his opinion on the matter.

I mean, I don't think he's getting in either but...

It's like your entire way of thinking changed....

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
So many people who argued that Ridley is possible (not for Smash 4 but in general) instantly flip flop once Sakurai says his opinion on the matter.

I mean, I don't think he's getting in either but...

It's like your entire way of thinking changed....
Uh, to me it seems that people are just salty for now and are convinced he won't get in this time no matter what, I can guarantee you there will be this madness next time. Hopefully Ridley becomes playable and the debate will finally end

Yeah i have noted multiple switches. I cant tell if they were just bandwagoning the whole time or are becomi g haters becaus iits "cool" to insult ridley fans.

Glad i chose not to get involved anymore or i would spend all my time fighting battles that cant be won

Last edited:

MagnesD3

Smash Master
PM Wario is practically Brawl Wario with just a few different moves.
And they took out the best ones (Bike and DAir)
Right.... Shoulder charge is amazing as well as the butt bomb, He has his down smash which causes knockdown his goofy forward smash and his charge throw from wario world, also dat bair. PM Wario is awesome idk what you smokin...

Last edited:

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
Okay, interessting. How much do you predict a character is going to cost? $5,00 per character is about my estimation... I think they will handle Smash's DLC quite similary to Mario Kart 8's to be honest.
That's an interesting question. It is something I haven't tackled yet, but I definitely will though. It will take a bit more research.

I am thinking about doing an article on amiibo, but I need to finish what I've currently got on my plate.

Pretty awesome artwork.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom