• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
So many people who argued that Ridley is possible (not for Smash 4 but in general) instantly flip flop once Sakurai says his opinion on the matter.

I mean, I don't think he's getting in either but...

It's like your entire way of thinking changed....
To be fair, Sakurai did deliver his honest opinion on Ridley, something that, up until that point, was a subject of intense debate. It's at least understandable why people would flip after Sakurai condemned him to unplayability.

I, for one, still support the idea of Ridley being playable, and think he's a fully justifiable choice. I don't see it happening anytime soon, unfortunately.

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master

100%- Mewtwo and Lucas
75%- Wolf
60%- Chorus Kids and Dixie Kong
50%- (Can go either way)- Inklings, Ice Climbers
35%- King K. Rool
15%- Wonder Red, Krystal, Roy, Captain Toad, Young Link, Cross, Bandanna Dee, Isaac, and Paper Mario
10%- FE14 Avatar, Pichu, Hades, Melia, Fiora, New Pokemon Character, Impa, Daisy, and Lip
5%- Squirtle and Ivysaur
3%- Andy, Chibi Robo, Style Savvy, Fossil Fighter, Ray MK
2%- Monita, Vince, Medusa, Cranky Kong, Masked Man
1%- Mach Rider, Excitebiker, Bubbles, Muddy Mole, Mike Jones
Updated with popularity added as a factor now, will update with 3rd parties later.
Give me some more suggestions please! I think I'm missing some here.
So K. Rool clearly being the most requested Nintendo newcomer along with all his other merits only grants him 35% chance rating, huh?

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584

100%- Mewtwo and Lucas
75%- Wolf
60%- Chorus Kids and Dixie Kong
50%- (Can go either way)- Inklings, Ice Climbers
35%- King K. Rool
15%- Wonder Red, Krystal, Roy, Captain Toad, Young Link, Cross, Bandanna Dee, Isaac, and Paper Mario
10%- FE14 Avatar, Pichu, Hades, Melia, Fiora, New Pokemon Character, Impa, Daisy, and Lip
5%- Squirtle and Ivysaur
3%- Andy, Chibi Robo, Style Savvy, Fossil Fighter, Ray MK
2%- Monita, Vince, Medusa, Cranky Kong, Masked Man
1%- Mach Rider, Excitebiker, Bubbles, Muddy Mole, Mike Jones
Updated with popularity added as a factor now, will update with 3rd parties later.
Give me some more suggestions please! I think I'm missing some here.
Er, wait. Why is Chorus Kids and Inklings above K. Rool?

They don't have near the amount of following as K. Rool.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
To be fair, Sakurai did deliver his honest opinion on Ridley, something that, up until that point, was a subject of intense debate. It's at least understandable why people would flip after Sakurai condemned him to unplayability.

I, for one, still support the idea of Ridley being playable, and think he's a fully justifiable choice. I don't see it happening anytime soon, unfortunately.
Yeah, and that's fine.

Its not that find problem with people not finding him likely.

It's that people have now flipped on the concept itself, which I find strange.

Troykv

Smash Master

Inklings above K. Rool... Okey... I'm no sure, but okay.

Chorus Kids, Dixie and IC above K. Rool... What? xDU

Last edited:

Deathcarter

Smash Lord
I want to see them try and add extra Mii Fighters as DLC. Like say a Mii Sorcerer or a Mii Sports Fighter (based on the Wii Sports titles) for example. Sure its not a fighter with an actual fanbase but DLC looks like an brilliantly way to expand on Mii customization.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
There's data on-disc that's heavily suggesting that a Rhythm Heaven character was in the works so there's a good reason.

MagnesD3

Smash Master
So many people who argued that Ridley is possible (not for Smash 4 but in general) instantly flip flop once Sakurai says his opinion on the matter.

It saddens me people are so easily swayed, Im afraid that his cut in support may ruin his chance for being Smash 5's possible star attraction :( .

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Plus with the new game coming out, Chorus Kids seem like a priority again with DLC.

Inklings can go either way, on one hand, their game is currently the most anticipated, Nintendo is wanting to push Splatoon as a major IP, and the Inklings have so much uniqueness on their side. On the other hand, we never seen a very new IP (Don't argue Roy) make it in Smash before and Sakurai might not take the opportunity due to that, so it makes things uncertain. That's why I think Inkling has a 50/50 chance in getting in.

So K. Rool clearly being the most requested Nintendo newcomer along with all his other merits only grants him 35% chance rating, huh?
It's way better than the chance K. Rool had last time, and that was the time popularity didn't matter.

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer

I still think he's feasible and Sakurai's wrong.

I just don't have the energy to argue about it any more.

It's because BluePikmin still isn't giving popularity the credence a fan poll would imply it deserves.

Hey guys i might be a slowpoke but

Early poll results

http://i.4cdn.org/v/1428113598948.png

GO KING K ROOL

and one more thing

RIDLEY DECONFIRMED.........AGAIN.
Those were the observations of a single person. They're certainly not official.

Last edited:

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Out of all the potential newcomers that can be incorporated as DLC, I would have K. Rool, Isaac, and Andy (Andy's chances are really slim but dammit I love the 2 GBA Advance Wars games lol).

For my predictions, I think this format would fit well for DLC

- 2 Cut Melee Vets: Mewtwo and Roy

- 2 Cut Brawl Vets: Lucas and Wolf

- 3 Newcomers: K. Rool, Isaac, and (insert very popular requested character that hasn't been in Smash before)

- Ice Climbers (This isn't a guarantee but they can come in separate from the poll if there's ever a solution to their problem).

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
It's way better than the chance K. Rool had last time, and that was the time popularity didn't matter.
:rosalina::4bowserjr::4littlemac::4palutena::4robinm::4shulk::4pacman::4villager::4mii:

and ****ing :4megaman: of all things.

Blue, this crap is getting really old.....

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Popularity has always mattered. It's never been the only thing that mattered, but there was never a Smash game it had no impact on the roster.

domokl

Smash Lord
Heck iwata said in the direct they heard the requests for lucas and added him. If that doesn't convince you popularity is a factor then look at sonic from brawl. Added because of popularity last minute.

Last edited:

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465

Not sure if I'm filtered into this group, but I've actually never thought Ridley could feasibly be playable. Argued that point with Pieman years ago. I just kept my mouth shut and assumed Sakurai would cave and make him playable given fan demand.

Now it's simply easier to be vocal about my position.

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Not sure if I'm filtered into this group, but I've actually never thought Ridley could feasibly be playable. Argued that point with Pieman years ago. I just kept my mouth shut and assumed Sakurai would cave and make him playable given fan demand.

Now it's simply easier to be vocal about my position.
Nah, you're good. I remember you stating that, long ago.

It's just we have more flip flops that Sticker Star.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
I was never all that interested in Ridley TBH. I mean I wouldn't be opposed to him in Smash of course but i'm just not as hyped about him as other people are.

I kinda like how Metriod is rep'd though. It sorta fits well with Samus being a lone wolf character in her series so her representing the franchise herself does make sense in a way.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I was never all that interested in Ridley TBH. I mean I wouldn't be opposed to him in Smash of course but i'm just not as hyped about him as other people are.

I kinda like how Metriod is rep'd though. It sorta fits well with Samus being a lone wolf character in her series so her representing the franchise herself does make sense in a way.
Eh, that's the thing though.

Usually, her lone wolf tendencies are interrupted by guess who. So having the main character and the main character's reason for doing things would be a pretty good dynamic.

Although recently with Prime 2, Prime 3, Prime Hunters and Other M...

It's not about isolation anymore.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Eh, that's the thing though.

Usually, her lone wolf tendencies are interrupted by guess who. So having the main character and the main character's reason for doing things would be a pretty good dynamic.

Although recently with Prime 2, Prime 3, Prime Hunters and Other M...

It's not about isolation anymore.
Yeah, Other M really changed up her character from what I heard. I've seen some clips of the game and I wasn't really fond of it TBH. The Prime games as well as the older Metriod games portrayed her much better.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Yeah, Other M really changed up her character from what I heard. I've seen some clips of the game and I wasn't really fond of it TBH. The Prime games as well as the older Metriod games portrayed her much better.
Agreed, but the Prime games moved away from the isolation aspect to develop characters and races, like Dark Samus, the Luminoth, the Prime Hunters, the Prime 3 Hunters and the Galactic Federation.

Other M went a step further with Anthony and the like.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Agreed, but the Prime games moved away from the isolation aspect to develop characters and races, like Dark Samus, the Luminoth, the Prime Hunters, the Prime 3 Hunters and the Galactic Federation.

Other M went a step further with Anthony and the like.
I guess so but I guess that's something that needs to be done in a 3D game sorta. The thing they still retained was not changing Samus's personality in the game and kept her quiet for most of the game which is why I like the Prime games.

If their going to release another Metriod game, I would really want it to retcon Other M or at least not portray Samus as she was in the game. I'm not sure if that's likely but that's something the Metriod fanbase wants to happen from what i've seen.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I guess so but I guess that's something that needs to be done in a 3D game sorta. The thing they still retained was not changing Samus's personality in the game and kept her quiet for most of the game which is why I like the Prime games.

If their going to release another Metriod game, I would really want it to retcon Other M or at least not portray Samus as she was in the game. I'm not sure if that's likely but that's something the Metriod fanbase wants to happen from what i've seen.
A retcon is out of the question.

Never suggest a retcon.

Besides, I'd rather they just fix the problems than ignore them completely. It's just like people asking to reboot Star Fox...

Overall, Samus had talked before Other M. Her talking and her talking a lot wasn't a problem. She had conversations and monologues in Fusion, but they were done well.

It was how she spoke, that was the problem.

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
:rosalina::4bowserjr::4littlemac::4palutena::4robinm::4shulk::4pacman::4villager::4mii:

and ****ing :4megaman: of all things.

Blue, this crap is getting really old.....
They clearly only got in for being in new games. :rosalina:: Super Mario 3D World. :4bowserjr:: Mario Party: Island Tour. :4littlemac:: ... :4palutena:: Kid Icarus: Uprising. :4robinm:: Fire Emblem Awakening. :4shulk:: Xenoblade :4pacman:: Pac-Man and the Ghostly Adventures 2. :4villager:: Animal Crossing New Leaf. :4mii:: Wii Party U. :4megaman:: His cameo appearance in Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3. It's the only logical explanations for their appearances.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
A retcon is out of the question.

Never suggest a retcon.

Besides, I'd rather they just fix the problems than ignore them completely. It's just like people asking to reboot Star Fox...

Overall, Samus had talked before Other M. Her talking and her talking a lot wasn't a problem. She had conversations and monologues in Fusion, but they were done well.

It was how she spoke, that was the problem.
Yeah that's pretty much what I meant by that lol.

A retcon might not happen but i'd like to see that (starting from the end of MP3). One can wish I suppose.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
:4megaman:: His cameo appearance in Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3. .
T.T

Yeah that's pretty much what I meant by that lol.

A retcon might not happen but i'd like to see that (starting from the end of MP3). One can wish I suppose.
Trust me.

No good will come out of a retcon in a video game franchise.

Last edited:

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
They clearly only got in for being in new games. :rosalina:: Super Mario 3D World. :4bowserjr:: Mario Party: Island Tour. :4littlemac:: ... :4palutena:: Kid Icarus: Uprising. :4robinm:: Fire Emblem Awakening. :4shulk:: Xenoblade :4pacman:: Pac-Man and the Ghostly Adventures 2. :4villager:: Animal Crossing New Leaf. :4mii:: Wii Party U. :4megaman:: His cameo appearance in Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3. It's the only logical explanations for their appearances.
Well, I'm pretty sure Pac and Mega got in soley due to fan demand, you could be right about the others, though.

mark welford

Smash Ace
Pac-Man not only got in because of fan demand it was also a way of Sakurai thanking Namco-Bandai for their help in developing the game interestingly enough this is the second collaboration of Sega, Capcom and Namco-Bandai the 1st being Project X Zone but this collaboration used the respective companies' more recognizable characters.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
The argument was specifically that they found something new to do with Lucina, and Dark Pit "did not fit" using the 3 Sacred Treasures. Yes, they are basic clones, but this still leaves a sour taste in my mouth, because Dark Pit fits using "the 3 Sacred Treasures" just as much as the Koopalings fit using Shadow Mario. I don't give a crap that Dark Pit is a simplistic clone; its a lame excuse as to why he did it in the first place.
While the reasoning behind Dark Pit is somewhat questionable, let me remind you of something:
- The Koopalings were not viable to make clones of. Either you separate them all and have 7 clones of one character (of the nearly-identical sort) or you would separate some of them and that would be rather odd and inconsistent. In order to keep them as aesthetic changes, not a single change to their gameplay could be made.
- Dark Pit's Final Smash is identical to Zelda's Light Arrow in regards to functionality. That alone says a lot on how cheap and convenient the solution they came up with to make it possible was. If there wasn't a Light Arrow move to base on, he would have remained with Pit's Final Smash and possibly as an alt.

I don't care about people's biases for or against characters. I care about game design itself and criticize Sakurai's decisions based on that.

As it stands, the addition of clones and whatever the reasoning for their addition does nothing to detract from the game's quality itself.

Does the game have bugs resulting from their addition? Are the clones broken characters? The clones go against the purpose of the game? Was the project compromised from their addition? This is what I care about. And the answer to all those questions is the same: no.

If the clones don't detract from the game nor compromise its development and purpose, then they aren't bad additions.

Last edited:

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
"It's about isolation. Samus is always alone"

Yeah, I love the Metroid series. It's about Samus kicking around a little stone because she's bored.
No! It's about her kicking behinds of alien races swarming around all kinds of planets.
This serie isn't about the protagonist "being lonely".
It's about the protagonist being lonely to eradicate all evil from the galaxy.

This argument only helps Ridley, since Samus doesn't have any fellow hunters since she works alone.

Dark Pit: Becomes a character because his final smash isn't fitting.
Falco: I. PREFER. THE. AIR. Take the hint Sakurai

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
K. Rool and Inklings have the best shot when it comes to newcomers IMO. I have hopes for Isaac and Banjo, but the former two seem like solid choices.

Wolf is almost guaranteed for me with Star Fox U, release him the around the release window of Star Fox U and BAM TOTALLY NOT PLANNED ADVERTISEMENT
I'm iffy on other vets since we would realistically be left with Snake and Ice Climbers. Judging by Sakurai's logic on keeping Ganondorf unchanged, the Climbers aren't happening since the removal of their team mechanic would "isolate players who played as those characters in a previous title". So Snake is the only other veteran they could work with I guess.

This 6 character idea seems perfect tbh, it's not like they're making another Smash game so the possibilities of seeing more than 10 is incredibly ludicrous, and 6 DLC characters total is a nice round number to work with.

Mewtwo, Lucas, Wolf, NEWCOMER #1, NEWCOMER #2, NEWCOMER #3 / Snake
its like skullgirls all over again (but with one extra character)

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
I've always thought that 6 characters, of which 3 are veterans and 3 are newcomers is a good approach for DLC.

We already have 2 veterans, so I think that, following this premise, the third veteran should be Wolf. He's popular, he's wanted and he has a new game coming.

Though I have a feeling that we could get more than 6 characters... They've pulled so many surprises and blown many predictions away at this point that anything can really happen. :chuckle:

Wolf at E3 is looking likely at this point, but I have a hunch they will pull yet another unexpected stunt.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom