• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Pac-Man not only got in because of fan demand it was also a way of Sakurai thanking Namco-Bandai for their help in developing the game interestingly enough this is the second collaboration of Sega, Capcom and Namco-Bandai the 1st being Project X Zone but this collaboration used the respective companies' more recognizable characters.
It also helps that Miyamoto ostensibly requested him in Brawl.

Mewtwo, Lucas, Wolf, Snake? / NEWCOMER #1, NEWCOMER #2, NEWCOMER #3
its like skullgirls all over again (but with one extra character)
squigly 4 deeelcee

Damn it that actually sounds amazing.

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
squigly 4 deeelcee

Damn it that actually sounds amazing.
b: center stage OR squigly battle opera
<-> b: silver chord
^ b: draugen punch
v b: liver mortis (ground) / fallen woman (ground)
fs: inferno of leviathan

CONFIRMED, best dlc fighter option

who needs inkling / k. rool / banjo / reckless silhouette guy when you have squigly

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
Though I have a feeling that we could get more than 6 characters... They've pulled so many surprises and blown many predictions away at this point that anything can really happen. :chuckle:
I can't help but think about this every time I see someone say something like "This is the most we can expect and if you think otherwise you're crazy!"

I'm paraphrasing.

Wintropy

NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
b: center stage OR squigly battle opera
<-> b: silver chord
^ b: draugen punch
v b: liver mortis (ground) / fallen woman (ground)
fs: inferno of leviathan

CONFIRMED, best dlc fighter option

who needs inkling / k. rool / banjo / reckless silhouette guy when you have squigly
Rooftops Assault stage DLC or riot.

Actually, being sincere for a sec, if - speaking purely hypothetically - any Skullgirls character was to appear in Smash, I reckon Squigly would be the best pick. She's a fan favourite and among the more iconic fighters, is the poster girl for the game's DLC, has a versatile moveset and Smash needs more cute zombie girls.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
I've always thought that 6 characters, of which 3 are veterans and 3 are newcomers is a good approach for DLC.

We already have 2 veterans, so I think that, following this premise, the third veteran should be Wolf. He's popular, he's wanted and he has a new game coming.

Though I have a feeling that we could get more than 6 characters... They've pulled so many surprises and blown many predictions away at this point that anything can really happen. :chuckle:

Wolf at E3 is looking likely at this point, but I have a hunch they will pull yet another unexpected stunt.
It's Nintendo and Sakurai.

Of course they're going to pull some crazy, unexpected stunt.

Wishful thinking: A Rhythm Heaven character to go with the new Remake+ game getting localized.

Strofirko

Smash Master
Out of all the characters,ign chooses to advertise tails an meatboy...:evil:

Last edited:

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
Out of all the characters ign chooses to advertise tails an meatboy...:evil:
Who the flying **** is MeatBoy?

And I don't care how much of a Sonic fan I am, Tails better not go anywhere near playable unless by some undesirable luck Nintendo buys the Sonic franchise. (That isn't happening anytime soon anyway)

Last edited:

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Was I the only one that saw the video of what could be the full roster with DLC(meaning Lucas and Mewtwo) in it. It may be fake but still....
It is fake, but the roster post-Lucas could certainly look like that.

:231:

Wolfie557

Witch-King of the North
3DS FC
3153-4071-1007
Switch FC
SW 3128 8188 4021
Was I the only one that saw the video of what could be the full roster with DLC(meaning Lucas and Mewtwo) in it. It may be fake but still....
2 more DLC characters........

.......and my OCD shall be gone from Smash 3DS!!!!
(even though I'd like 5 DLC characters, not 4........just because Wolf + 2 newcomers instead of wolf + 1 newcomer!)
Yes I know they can resize and make even more stupid black squares/rectangles.

Last edited:

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
It is fake, but the roster post-Lucas could certainly look like that.

Unless they decide to move Ness and Lucas to between the Kid Icarus and Fire Emblem series, as their franchise debuted between those and now is part of the series with multiple characters in the roster.

:4mario::4luigi::4peach::4bowser::4yoshi::rosalina::4bowserjr::4wario::4gaw:
:4dk::4diddy::4link::4zelda::4sheik::4ganondorf::4tlink::4samus::4zss:
:4pit::4palutena::4ness::4lucas::4marth::4myfriends::4robinm::4littlemac::4duckhunt:
:4kirby::4dedede::4metaknight::4fox::4falco::4rob::4falcon::4villager::4olimar:
:4pikachu::4charizard::4lucario::4jigglypuff::4greninja::4mewtwo::4wiifit::4shulk:
:4drmario::4darkpit::4lucina::4pacman::4megaman::4sonic::4mii::substitute:

I think the roster looks better like this.

Or maybe they pull something like this by putting the clones next to their respective series' characters:
:4mario::4luigi::4peach::4bowser::4yoshi::rosalina::4bowserjr::4wario::4drmario:
:4pit::4palutena::4darkpit::4ness::4lucas::4marth::4myfriends::4robinm::4lucina:
:4kirby::4dedede::4metaknight::4fox::4falco::4gaw::4littlemac::4duckhunt::4rob:
:4pikachu::4charizard::4lucario::4jigglypuff::4greninja::4mewtwo::4falcon::4villager::4olimar:
:4wiifit::4shulk::4pacman::4megaman::4sonic::4mii::substitute:

I actually like this last one better.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Like Team Rocket who are persistent in their quest to catch Pikachu, I will be persistent in my quest to get Meowth playable in Smash.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
To explain the ballot thing i posted

I was hearing something on

Early smash ballot results a couple of videos and that 1 image was what i was getting.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
Like Team Rocket who are persistent in their quest to catch Pikachu, I will be persistent in my quest to get Meowth playable in Smash.

I really don't think Meowth fits in the fanservice catfighter niche...

He looks so hilariously out of place in that row of images.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I really don't think Meowth fits in the fanservice catfighter niche...

He looks so hilariously out of place in that row of images.
LOL Cat Peach would be a better fanservice catfighter but do we really want another version of Peach? :glare:

And I said "feline fighter", not "fanservice catfighter" so it should be okay, right?! :crazy:

Unless you want Meowth's Final Smash to be Boss Fantasy! :troll:

I'll say if meowth had the old voice actor from the anime and just talked a lot during the fight it would be pretty neat.
That old voice actor died. :( Then again, they could always use her voice recordings from the anime if they wanted to.

MagnesD3

Smash Master
LOL Cat Peach would be a better fanservice catfighter but do we really want another version of Peach? :glare:

And I said "feline fighter", not "fanservice catfighter" so it should be okay, right?! :crazy:

Unless you want Meowth's Final Smash to be Boss Fantasy! :troll:

That old voice actor died. :( Then again, they could always use her voice recordings from the anime if they wanted to.
Really :(. That sucks.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux

I was referring more to the other characters lined up next to Meowth. There isn't really a "feline fighter" niche so much as a feline based fanservice niche, because Japan. Cat Daisy IHSO could totally work in that group though. :troll:

Wolfie557

Witch-King of the North
3DS FC
3153-4071-1007
Switch FC
SW 3128 8188 4021
Unless they decide to move Ness and Lucas to between the Kid Icarus and Fire Emblem series, as their franchise debuted between those and now is part of the series with multiple characters in the roster.

:4mario::4luigi::4peach::4bowser::4yoshi::rosalina::4bowserjr::4wario::4gaw:
:4pit::4palutena::4ness::4lucas::4marth::4myfriends::4robinm::4littlemac::4duckhunt:
:4kirby::4dedede::4metaknight::4fox::4falco::4rob::4falcon::4villager::4olimar:
:4pikachu::4charizard::4lucario::4jigglypuff::4greninja::4mewtwo::4wiifit::4shulk:
:4drmario::4darkpit::4lucina::4pacman::4megaman::4sonic::4mii::substitute:

I think the roster looks better like this.

Or maybe they pull something like this by putting the clones next to their respective series' characters:
:4mario::4luigi::4peach::4bowser::4yoshi::rosalina::4bowserjr::4wario::4drmario:
:4pit::4palutena::4darkpit::4ness::4lucas::4marth::4myfriends::4robinm::4lucina:
:4kirby::4dedede::4metaknight::4fox::4falco::4gaw::4littlemac::4duckhunt::4rob:
:4pikachu::4charizard::4lucario::4jigglypuff::4greninja::4mewtwo::4falcon::4villager::4olimar:
:4wiifit::4shulk::4pacman::4megaman::4sonic::4mii::substitute:

I actually like this last one better.
I think it would look even better if Lucas was next to Ness but Ness is where he is right now, and they put the clones next to the respective series.

MagnesD3

Smash Master
I've seen a lot of people think we are only getting maybe 6 characters including mewtwo and Lucas. But how many of you think if Nintendo makes a crapton on this (which they should) that they will just keep going.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Cat Peach doesn't offer much in fanservice...ahem.

Nintendo doesn't have a whole lot of protagonists based on cats, it seems. Or maybe you could have hoped that Krystal wasn't turned into a Fox when Dinosaur Planet became a StarFox title.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Still, sex appeal aside, Meowth could be a feline fighter. Plus I think those other cat fighters wouldn't be in Smash for the same reason Tharja wasn't in Smash.

Last edited:

Wintropy

NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Cat Peach doesn't offer much in fanservice...ahem.

Nintendo doesn't have a whole lot of protagonists based on cats, it seems. Or maybe you could have hoped that Krystal wasn't turned into a Fox when Dinosaur Planet became a StarFox title.

Shame, really. Cats are where it's at~ *Flicks ears*

As great as Meowth is and all, as far as kitty Pokermoonz go, my favourite's Meowstic~

Shame s/he has no chance of ever getting into Smash.

Oh well - Cat Lucina when, mya~? :3

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Shame, really. Cats are where it's at~ *Flicks ears*

As great as Meowth is and all, as far as kitty Pokermoonz go, my favourite's Meowstic~

Shame s/he has no chance of ever getting into Smash.

Oh well - Cat Lucina when, mya~? :3
Someone should ask Sakurai to let custom headgear be used on normal fighters. That would open a world of possibilities. :laugh:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I've seen a lot of people think we are only getting maybe 6 characters including mewtwo and Lucas. But how many of you think if Nintendo makes a crapton on this (which they should) that they will just keep going.
I doubt they'll just "keep it going." They'll end it eventually.

I'd say additional DLC could be from 4-6, one being Wolf. Its all based on the timing of the poll; it ends way too damn late. Also, if Wolf releases in August, they could go for a two month trend. Regardless of whether they do two months each or not, they're not going to stop doing characters and other veterans are iffy/not viable (Ice Climbers), so they'll have to start working on new characters long before the poll ends.

NNID
Ridleylash
3DS FC
1736-1657-3905
You know, I could see Sakurai cobbling together an excuse for having himself put Ridley in the game if he is highly fan-requested; I mean, the one in the game isn't the original Ridley, after all; it's based on Clone!Ridley from Other M, who does not look too much like the original Ridley.

Here's Clone Ridley:

And here's the original Geoform 187;

They look pretty different, so having the original Ridley be playable while Clone!Ridley remains the Pyrosphere hazard is a pretty good way to skip over the issue of "but he's already in the game as a boss!".

MagnesD3

Smash Master
I doubt they'll just "keep it going." They'll end it eventually.

I'd say additional DLC could be from 4-6, one being Wolf. Its all based on the timing of the poll; it ends way too damn late. Also, if Wolf releases in August, they could go for a two month trend. Regardless of whether they do two months each or not, they're not going to stop doing characters and other veterans are iffy/not viable (Ice Climbers), so they'll have to start working on new characters long before the poll ends.
I'm just super curious what's gonna happen once Nintendo figures out that there is just a print money button they have and can use at any time. I sure hope they go crazy with the power.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
You know, I could see Sakurai cobbling together an excuse for having himself put Ridley in the game if he is highly fan-requested; I mean, the one in the game isn't the original Ridley, after all; it's based on Clone!Ridley from Other M, who does not look too much like the original Ridley.
You know, considering that people have hated on Ridley's Other M design for years, it's starting to sound like a blessing in disguise.

Oh, about your idea, some may counter it saying that Pyrosphere Ridley uses the original Ridley's head as its icon on the results screen.

Burruni

Smash Hero

They look pretty different, so having the original Ridley be playable while Clone!Ridley remains the Pyrosphere hazard is a pretty good way to skip over the issue of "but he's already in the game as a boss!".
For around the 10th time this has been stated since the DLC poll was revealed a week ago: Sakurai KNOWS Ridley is incredibly requested because they have done polls pre melee, pre brawl, and pre Sm4sh and he's been up there every time. In fact, one could argue that it is BECAUSE of his popularity that Ridley is the ONLY newcomer that Sakurai came out to say why he didn't make the purple dragon playable.

However, your point is ENTIRELY moot because Ridley's KO Icon in a results screen, trophy description, and games listed for the Other M "Roidley" all state that, in Sakurai's eyes if nothing else, to consider him all part of the same entity as the Ridley from which he was cloned. End. Of. Discussion... when it comes to this approach.

As a Metroid fan, I understand newcomers are slim pickings with Ridley being the only real hope. It just... it just isn't going to happen through Sm4sh DLC. Not with how things have been set up and explained by the man leading the game's teams.

Last edited:
NNID
Ridleylash
3DS FC
1736-1657-3905
Oh, about your idea, some may counter it saying that Pyrosphere Ridley uses the original Ridley's head as its icon on the results screen.
I'd have to laugh at them then, because anybody using reusage of a pre-created asset (Ridley's Brawl render) to try and discredit that idea is obviously reaching for straws to grasp at to decry Ridley's chances at DLC. :p

Wintropy

NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
I'd have to laugh at them then, because anybody using reusage of a pre-created asset (Ridley's Brawl render) to try and discredit that idea is obviously reaching for straws to grasp at to decry Ridley's chances at DLC. :p
No, not really.

As @ Burruni Burruni said, as far as Sakurai's concerned, Ridley and Roidley are the same thing.

You could argue that Mario and Doc are separate characters, but there are very obvious essential differences between them: one's Mario, the other's Mario in a lab coat. A minute difference, sure, but it's much easier to distinguish them to the layman than "Ridley" and "Ridley with big muscles".

Canon doesn't matter a damn in Smash anyway. If Sakurai acknowledged that the clone is a separate entity, it'd be one thing. He doesn't. He's (incorrectly) of the notion that they're the same creature. Unless something suddenly switches 'round in his brain to tell him Super Metroid Ridley would be a viable candidate as a separate entity, it's not gonna happen.

And I'm an ardent Ridley supporter, so I'm not grasping straws to poke holes in your argument. I'm telling you that your argument doesn't hold water in the first instance.

Wintropy

NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Ridley gets the same treatment as Link and Zelda. They use one specific design and in the original games there are multiple of them, but in Smash, they're amalgamations of all those similar entities.
Just want to chime in here before the inevitable comparison is made.

Toon Link is a separate entity, but Sakurai acknowledges that they are separate entities. That's why Link and Toon link can coexist in the same roster.

Ridley could coexist alongside Roidley if Sakurai acknowledged them as separate entities. The issue is that he doesn't. It's arbitrary and it's silly, but it's how Sakurai works. The moment he refers to Roidley as a clone of the original Ridley and that the original Ridley is still on the cards, I will drop this line of thinking - until then, though, this is where we are, and this is where we have to continue from.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom