• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
Kinda already exists:
:4jigglypuff:
Although I don't recall Jigglypuff being terrible on the ground.
That Ridley PSA works like that though, I think.
No she pretty much is. She has some good ground buttons, but is too terrible slow there to play ground footsies properly.

Plus she dies easily and has little margin for error, though for different reasons than Mac...so yeah, Air Mac before Mac was even a thing.

Last edited:

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
Isn't Little Mac one of the best gimpers with Nair anyway?
That would really never work ever since most up bs beat it. Plus Mac effectively dies doing it. Way too risky.

So you pretty much do it when you wanna disrespect. Like Falcon Punch.

Okay, I think I've managed to make things more fair between sites in my survey. I just added up the percentages from each site so far, that way no one community gets more say just because more people responded. If that's a horrible way to go about this, I'm open to other suggestions.

Anyway, here's the top 25:
  • King K. Rool
  • Isaac
  • Wolf
  • Ridley
  • Snake
  • Inkling
  • Shovel Knight
  • Dixie Kong
  • Ice Climbers
  • Rayman
  • Banjo and Kazooie
  • Bayonetta
  • Paper Mario
  • Bandana Dee
  • Waluigi
  • Wonder-Red
  • Captain Toad
  • Roy
  • Geno
  • Bomberman
  • Impa
  • Krystal
  • Daisy
  • Sceptile
  • Chorus Men
And percentages, if you're curious.
that is the highest ridley percentage ive seen. thanks for proving to me that reddit hates him btw. been suspicious of it since this started.

wonder red and dixie have a nice little spot there too. makes me pretty happy. good job with this

I guess I should take it as well.

Last edited:

TheNerdyOne_

Smash Ace
that is the highest ridley percentage ive seen. thanks for proving to me that reddit hates him btw. been suspicious of it since this started.

wonder red and dixie have a nice little spot there too. makes me pretty happy. good job with this

I guess I should take it as well.
Link's in my signature, if you didn't see it. The more responses the better, especially because Smashboards/GameFAQs responses are currently worth much more than those coming from reddit.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
No she pretty much is. She has some good ground buttons, but is too terrible slow there to play ground footsies properly.

Plus she dies easily and has little margin for error, though for different reasons than Mac...so yeah, Air Mac before Mac was even a thing.
Jigglypuff isn't really a hard hitter though. She's more of a "I'm gonna push you off the stage ;3" than a "I'M GONNA DESTROY YOU" character.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
Jigglypuff isn't really a hard hitter though. She's more of a "I'm gonna push you off the stage ;3" than a "I'M GONNA DESTROY YOU" character.
Except she is. Her damage output and knockback are pretty good.

She's a glass cannon, exactly like Mac.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Except she is. Her damage output and knockback are pretty good.

She's a glass cannon, exactly like Mac.
(After comparing damage percentages.) Ah. I guess I never noticed because she has little KO power. She doesn't KO as fast as Little Mac. Jigglypuff may have an advantage over other characters in the air, but she isn't bad on the ground either. I'd say take Jigglypuff, and make her ground moves and throws terrible, and speed her up.

Last edited:

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
Okay, I think I've managed to make things more fair between sites in my survey. I just added up the percentages from each site so far, that way no one community gets more say just because more people responded. If that's a horrible way to go about this, I'm open to other suggestions.

• King K. Rool
  • Isaac
  • Wolf
  • Ridley
  • Snake
  • Inkling
  • Shovel Knight
  • Dixie Kong
  • Ice Climbers
  • Rayman
  • Banjo and Kazooie
  • Bayonetta
  • Paper Mario
  • Bandana Dee
  • Waluigi
  • Wonder-Red
  • Captain Toad
  • Roy
  • Geno
  • Bomberman
  • Impa
  • Krystal
  • Daisy
  • Sceptile
  • Chorus Men
I never thought I'd see the day Isaac was beating Wolf in a poll.

Isaac fans are crawling out of everywhere.

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir

• King K. Rool
  • Isaac
  • Wolf
  • Ridley
  • Snake
  • Inkling
  • Shovel Knight
  • Dixie Kong
  • Ice Climbers
  • Rayman
  • Banjo and Kazooie
  • Bayonetta
  • Paper Mario
  • Bandana Dee
  • Waluigi
  • Wonder-Red
  • Captain Toad
  • Roy
  • Geno
  • Bomberman
  • Impa
  • Krystal
  • Daisy
  • Sceptile
  • Chorus Men
Pretty excited about that Inkling placement. If those are really the top 6 receiving votes in the ballots, I'm pretty happy.

TheNerdyOne_

Smash Ace
Pretty excited about that Inkling placement. If those are really the top 6 receiving votes in the ballots, I'm pretty happy.
I really think that an Inkling is quite likely for DLC. They're popular, relevant, and pretty unique. The only thing standing in their way is that they only have one game.

looking at the reddit's percents is kind of strange.

their support for Ridley, dixie, and k rool is much lower than the other places. Shovel knight is much higher and waluigi is technically twice as high
skull kid is 6 times as high.

not to say smashboards is void of outliers (wolf)

gameFaqs needs to be educated on how viewtiful Wonder Red is

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Isaac is doing pretty well everywhere from what I can tell. In Japan he's probably doing about as well as you'd expect over there, which is good but not great.

It's all very nice to see. Hopefully something comes of it. :)

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
I really think that an Inkling is quite likely for DLC. They're popular, relevant, and pretty unique. The only thing standing in their way is that they only have one game.
Yeah, but if the game is as well received as it's getting hyped up to be, we could (hopefully) be seeing many more Splatoon games. I think Nintendo is really banking on this game's growth, so I definitely agree that the Inkling could be very likely for Smash. Even more publicity than just the game advertisement itself.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593

• King K. Rool
  • Isaac
  • Wolf
  • Ridley
  • Snake
  • Inkling
  • Shovel Knight
  • Dixie Kong
  • Ice Climbers
  • Rayman
  • Banjo and Kazooie
  • Bayonetta
  • Paper Mario
  • Bandana Dee
  • Waluigi
  • Wonder-Red
  • Captain Toad
  • Roy
  • Geno
  • Bomberman
  • Impa
  • Krystal
  • Daisy
  • Sceptile
  • Chorus Men
Princess Daisy is No. 23? I'm completely ok with this, especially considering that the Geno hype is slowly getting big and Captain Toad stomps because relevance.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
If Nintendo wanted to assure Splatoon a steady future they'd stick Inkling in Smash, however at that point Smash would fully become a tool for promotion over simply promoting the newest aspects of "deserving" series that were included due to what they had already accomplished, not what they might accomplish in the future.

But that's the way it all seems to be going anyway.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I'd like to remind people that even though Ridley is Top 5 in that list, he probably won't be made playable. If Sakurai's words are anything to go by, we should be trying other characters rather that beating a dead space dragon.

I'm not sorry if that offends anybody either. Like, Ridley is a pretty cool dude. I don't hate the character. But I wish people would realize that there is a difference between optimism and blatantly defying what the director of the game is saying. That pretty much goes for any character that already has a role. I wouldn't expect them to suddenly become DLC.

That might just be me. But I just don't get it...

Anyway, from that Top 6, that's roughly what I expected. Happy to see Snake so high up :). Pretty interesting totals. Is that just from polling different sites on the topic or is somebody getting actual numbers?

EDIT: @ N3ON N3ON I don't think that's necessarily a problem. If the Inklings can provide a great moveset and be fun to play, why not? At this point, I don't think there's much of anything to the "deserving" argument as it is. If you have a lot of good stuff going for you for Smash, you've got a good shot. If you're lame and provide nothing unique by being in the game, then you don't get in.

Luckily, most of the characters in that list provide something good, so there isn't much issue :awesome:

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I'd like to remind people that even though Ridley is Top 5 in that list, he probably won't be made playable. If Sakurai's words are anything to go by, we should be trying other characters rather that beating a dead space dragon.

I'm not sorry if that offends anybody either. Like, Ridley is a pretty cool dude. I don't hate the character. But I wish people would realize that there is a difference between optimism and blatantly defying what the director of the game is saying. That pretty much goes for any character that already has a role. I wouldn't expect them to suddenly become DLC.

Anyway, from that Top 6, that's roughly what I expected. Happy to see Snake so high up :). Pretty interesting totals. Is that just from polling different sites on the topic or is somebody getting actual numbers?
The Japanese version of the ballot says the characters could be taken in consideration for the next game, where Sakurai will have either left or possibly changed his mind. Veterans always get high votes, a certain charm

Wolley2xjd

Banned via Administration

With that logic we shouldn't hope to see Pac-man or a Animal crossing fighter in the gam-OH WAIT.

Yeah i'm pretty that's not going to stop people for voting for him plus it's not like his words are finally sooooo still voting him.

#RIDLEYTOOBIGTOFAIL2015. :awesome:

you know it really is like we are back to early specualtion. Because every other page talks about relvance, popularity, and has Ridley

I miss this
With that logic we shouldn't hope to see Pac-man or a Animal crossing fighter in the gam-OH WAIT.

Yeah i'm pretty that's not going to stop people for voting for him plus it's not like his words are finally sooooo still voting him.

changing one's mind over years != changing one's mind in a month

. . .but i'm still voting because smash 5 and im stubborn and voting for Viridi is pointless

Last edited:

TheNerdyOne_

Smash Ace

EDIT: @ N3ON N3ON I don't think that's necessarily a problem. If the Inklings can provide a great moveset and be fun to play, why not? At this point, I don't think there's much of anything to the "deserving" argument as it is. If you have a lot of good stuff going for you for Smash, you've got a good shot. If you're lame and provide nothing unique by being in the game, then you don't get in.

Luckily, most of the characters in that list provide something good, so there isn't much issue :awesome:
Those results are from a poll that I set up, the link is in my signature if you want to take it. Once I think I have a good amount of responses, at least enough to get pretty accurate results, I hope to post a similar list with everyone that has gotten more than one vote (or maybe a higher number, as I'm pretty sure some people just voted for everybody).

Last edited:

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
The Japanese version of the ballot says the characters could be taken in consideration for the next game, where Sakurai will have either left or possibly changed his mind. Veterans always get high votes, a certain charm
That's a bit different then I suppose. However, when Sakurai has acknowledged the fact that a lot of people want the character and STILL won't add him, I just don't see any reason to keep going. I can already see a repeat for the next Smash with the Ridley fans. I was once on the bandwagon, but quickly got myself in check once the April Direct showed up.

I just get the feeling that a lot of people take this poll as, "ERMAGHERD IF OUR CHARACTER DOES SUPER WELL, THEY'RE GUARANTEED TO BE IN". On the other hand, Sakurai has acknowledged that they look at fan popularity. That bodes well for AT LEAST the top 10 on that list. If that list is maintained into October, I would expect at least 2 of those guys to be DLC or in the next Smash.

I would consider it like the NHL Draft Lottery. Currently, if the Sabres end in last place, they have the highest percentage of getting the 1st overall pick. Other teams also have the chance, but if they lose the lottery, they only move down one place. I feel like Sakurai could look through votes the same way, and handpick certain character ideas he falls in love with. That doesn't necessarily mean top picks will get passed over, rather the opposite. It just means that even though you may have the most votes, it doesn't mean you'll be picked is all.

The Smash fanbase is notorious for getting its hopes up. This could get bad, so I just kinda am hoping it doesn't get to that point. Luckily, I have a good amount of characters I plan on voting for aside from Snake. So I can't be disappointed really :awesome:

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826

Except that's comparing a time period of much larger than...months after Smash 4 came out. That's not really comparable at all. Those words on Pac-Man and Villager were from around Brawl. Not Smash 4. Two different games.

Kalimdori

Amateur Youtuber
NNID
Kalimdori
3DS FC
5129-1442-5970
might be relevent
If they didn't want Third Party characters they would have specified it in the announcement, not on only one of their social medias. The ballot itself asks for people to vote for their favorite "Video Game Character", not specifically Nintendo characters.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
That's a bit different then I suppose. However, when Sakurai has acknowledged the fact that a lot of people want the character and STILL won't add him, I just don't see any reason to keep going. I can already see a repeat for the next Smash with the Ridley fans. I was once on the bandwagon, but quickly got myself in check once the April Direct showed up.

I just get the feeling that a lot of people take this poll as, "ERMAGHERD IF OUR CHARACTER DOES SUPER WELL, THEY'RE GUARANTEED TO BE IN". On the other hand, Sakurai has acknowledged that they look at fan popularity. That bodes well for AT LEAST the top 10 on that list. If that list is maintained into October, I would expect at least 2 of those guys to be DLC or in the next Smash.

I would consider it like the NHL Draft Lottery. Currently, if the Sabres end in last place, they have the highest percentage of getting the 1st overall pick. Other teams also have the chance, but if they lose the lottery, they only move down one place. I feel like Sakurai could look through votes the same way, and handpick certain character ideas he falls in love with. That doesn't necessarily mean top picks will get passed over, rather the opposite. It just means that even though you may have the most votes, it doesn't mean you'll be picked is all.

The Smash fanbase is notorious for getting its hopes up. This could get bad, so I just kinda am hoping it doesn't get to that point. Luckily, I have a good amount of characters I plan on voting for aside from Snake. So I can't be disappointed really :awesome:
Again, Sakurai can change his mind again or a new director that doesn't keep Ridley true to their fanfiction

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
If they didn't want Third Party characters they would have specified it in the announcement, not on only one of their social medias. The ballot itself asks for people to vote for their favorite "Video Game Character", not specifically Nintendo characters.
THANK YOU.

I've been waiting for somebody to pick up on that.

TheNerdyOne_

Smash Ace
Plus, I highly doubt that the person who wrote that has anything to do with the actual poll, or knows much more about it than we do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom