• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

A10theHero

SSJ Fraud
NNID
A10theHero
someone is forgetting he is 3rd party. also he isnt that popular since ps2 as he pretty much disappeared.

I love spyro but please not that new design. also never happening
What's wrong with him being 3rd party? Any video game character is allowed.
His new design is meh, but it's not that bad. Could've been worse (case in point, his original design for Skylanders).
And there still is a possibility of him getting. Sure, it might be small, but it's still worth the effort.

Last edited:

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
I haven't been this excited about Smash since February '14.

The hype train never ends~ :3

A10theHero

SSJ Fraud
NNID
A10theHero
Just because you're allowed to vote for them doesn't mean they have a shot. Master Chief is also a video game character, but there's absolutely no way he's ever getting into Smash.
Master Chief was never on a Nintendo platform. Spyro was. That's why Master Chief is not getting in and why Spyro does still have a (small) chance.
If you're going to invalidate my choice, at least pick a character who's actually a legitimate option! :p

Last edited:
What's wrong with him being 3rd party? Any video game character is allowed.
His new design is meh, but it's not that bad. Could've been worse (case in point, his original design for Skylanders).
And there still is a possibility of him getting. Sure, it might be small, but it's still worth the effort.
you said (and I quoted) his biggest obstacle is low popularity. I said it is a bigger problem that he is 3rd party

and that was the design I was referring to. Didn't know he got another one.
I haven't been this excited about Smash since February '14.

The hype train never ends~ :3

Last edited:

A10theHero

SSJ Fraud
NNID
A10theHero
you said (and I quoted) his biggest obstacle is low popularity. I said it is a bigger problem that he is 3rd party

and that was the design I was referring to. Didn't know he got another one.
Oh, that's what you meant. I thought you were saying that I couldn't even vote for him in the first place since he's 3rd party. Sorry, my bad.
I see what you mean. Did Nintendo say that they would give preference to their own characters over 3rd party characters? Cuz if they didn't, I still think low popularity in Japan would be a bigger problem.

And yeah, they modified his design a little bit. It's still similar, but a slight improvement, in my opinion.

alright saying this now in case people get the wrong idea. . .

but anyone who sees this image (or any similar one)
know that it is crap and unofficial

cranky isn't beating dixie, geno isnt magically not 3rd party, chibi robo isnt a front runner. and then there is 75% of the characters below the 3rd row.

also any recognition of viewtiful joe must mean fake.

PS what's the deal with this thread being stickied
http://smashboards.com/threads/the-smash-democracy-thread.397115/page-2

Last edited:

random rendum

Smash Journeyman
Those are only his specials.

I haven't said anything yet about spike pillars smashes, energy ball jabs or Ray-Man like hands used for tilts.
and Dee has a Spear, your call <w<

but seriously tho, I tried to make a moveset thats never been in smash4 before thats new and unqice. I did only the special attacks and not the whole moveset.
then again I cant do a moveset for Nintendo, since they probely would do completely diffirent

to add to it, each character has "some kind of theme" and since magolor can do portals, he should do them most since the other smash4 characters cant
The difference is Dee's spear is the majority of what he can do, it's a defining trait of him to use a spear, I think one portal move is ok but not an entire moveset dedicated to one thing. http://kirby.wikia.com/wiki/Magolor look at what he has to offer and his floating hands aren't special, they have a limit, I just think that having at least 50% of his specials being the same thing is a horrendous idea

Last edited:

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
I take solace in knowing people voted for the Elite Beat Agents.

Last edited:

RoseyBetch

Smash Journeyman
DLC Predictions: Wolf, King K. Rool, Isaac, Inklings.

DLC Wishlist:
1. Wolf + Krystal Pack with Corneria, more music, and a Slippy and Peppy Assist Trophy.
2. King K. Rool + Dixie Kong Pack with Gangplank Galleon, more music, and a Cranky Kong Assist Trophy.
3. Isaac with a Golden Sun stage and obviously music to accompany it.
4. Impa with the Pirate Ship's return and a Tetra Assist Trophy.
Bonus [5]. Ridley.

TheNerdyOne_

Smash Ace
DLC Predictions: Wolf, King K. Rool, Isaac, Inklings.

DLC Wishlist:
1. Wolf + Krystal Pack with Corneria, more music, and a Slippy and Peppy Assist Trophy.
2. King K. Rool + Dixie Kong Pack with Gangplank Galleon, more music, and a Cranky Kong Assist Trophy.
3. Isaac with a Golden Sun stage and obviously music to accompany it.
4. Impa with the Pirate Ship's return and a Tetra Assist Trophy.
Bonus [5]. Ridley.
I really hope Isaac gets added as DLC. If Sakurai can look at how popular he is and still not think that he is a viable cantidate, the only thing that can change his mind is a new Golden Sun game.

DLC additions will likely be based more on popularity than usual, for the sake of sales, so he's as likely as ever now.

Last edited:

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
I really hope Isaac gets added as DLC. If Sakurai can look at how popular he is and still not think that he is a viable cantidate, the only thing that can change his mind is a new Golden Sun game.

DLC additions will likely be based more on popularity than usual, for the sake of sales, so he's as likely as ever now.
The one thing in Isaac's favor is the random disappearance of his Assist Trophy. Why?

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue

He probably knows Isaac's popularity, I think Sakurai is looking for something bigger than just a new game, a new game wouldn't convince me to add him in the game, especially when Dark Dawn made Camelot uncertain of GS's future. If he gets a very successful critically accepted game, he could change his mind... for Smash 5 at least.

Then again, this is based on popularity now, so who knows how many rules Sakurai has he can break to miraculously get Isaac at top priority at this point.

Last edited:

A10theHero

SSJ Fraud
NNID
A10theHero
im honestly thinking my wants, Bandana Dee, Paper Mario, and Captain Toad have decent chances.
I don't know about Captain Toad. The only reason I say that is because he can't jump. But maybe regular Toad could get into Smash.

I think popularity wise....they are kinda close together.

If only I could know how to support outiside of here....it would help me so much....
You can use social media. You can make a website. If you have a blog, make a post. Make more images like your signature and spread it around.

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
Canada, Quebec (or Rogeuport if you want)
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
I don't know about Captain Toad. The only reason I say that is because he can't jump. But maybe regular Toad could get into Smash.

You can use social media. You can make a website. If you have a blog, make a post. Make more images like your signature and spread it around.
Well, I'm trying with tumblr and someone teaching me, but it's like....not as easy as i thought....

I mean facebook would pretty much require me to create a page because there's no way I would use my personal account for this.

as for Twitter....i really wonder how the heck I can do anything with 140 characters...

blog might works, it's just another wordl than forum which is jsut so EASY to have both presentation and contents. I'm in a situation where the presentation would matter as much as the contents (due to really popular arguments which I recently found a clear way to counter them), but it's just hard to figure everything out....

random rendum

Smash Journeyman

I hate when people say he can't jump, its not a gimmick, its just a puzzle element. I honestly wish he could jump so he wouldn't get that argument. If a character doesn't jump in game they'll jump in smash. period. Captain Toad not jumping will never be a valid argument

A10theHero

SSJ Fraud
NNID
A10theHero
Well, I'm trying with tumblr and someone teaching me, but it's like....not as easy as i thought....

I mean facebook would pretty much require me to create a page because there's no way I would use my personal account for this.

as for Twitter....i really wonder how the heck I can do anything with 140 characters...

blog might works, it's just another wordl than forum which is jsut so EASY to have both presentation and contents. I'm in a situation where the presentation would matter as much as the contents (due to really popular arguments which I recently found a clear way to counter them), but it's just hard to figure everything out....
Yeah, this kind of stuff is hard to do on your own. If you can get fellow supporters to help you, you can make tons of cool and appealing stuff to persuade people to vote for Paper Mario. Also, it's easier to brainstorm and come up with ideas when you're working in a team.
Also, another option I didn't mention is YouTube. Presentation is super important here, so this might be the medium you were looking for.

I hate when people say he can't jump, its not a gimmick, its just a puzzle element. I honestly wish he could jump so he wouldn't get that argument. If a character doesn't jump in game they'll jump in smash. period. Captain Toad not jumping will never be a valid argument
Oh, I didn't mean to offend you. But I thought Nintendo said he couldn't jump because of his heavy backpack. And that's a design element, right? So if they made him keep his backpack in Smash, I wouldn't expect him to jump. I don't really understand the logic of what you were saying though. "If a character doesn't jump in game they'll jump in smash. period." Can you explain that please?

Last edited:

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
Yeah, this kind of stuff is hard to do on your own. If you can get fellow supporters to help you, you can make tons of cool and appealing stuff to persuade people to vote for Paper Mario. Also, it's easier to brainstorm and come up with ideas when you're working in a team.
Also, another option I didn't mention is YouTube. Presentation is super important here too, so this might be the medium you'll want to use.
that is simply a miracle for now.

Look, i'm really the most vocal one. I actually managed to get people here that helped a bit because I had expereiences with them, but by far, I'm just the one that is the most interested.

i HAVE to rely on my own....I sure should try because why not, but the problem is here, I have to gain supporters AFTER I tried....that is actually luck based, but it just might work.

As for yt, I don;t even have a mic and can't feel comfortable to record myself talking.....not a good idea.

so far, tumblr sems a simple, but heavy luck based option to start, twitter might seerver, but facebook would be tooo complicated and as for reddit....it'slimiting.

My point is no matter what I do, I can;t chnage my main activities being here because I have like everything here (jsut check the support thread, there;s litterally everything).

The best I can do is link here, but they have to register....not much would do it.

So, I can just do stuff and basically hope....like always.

random rendum

Smash Journeyman
I think popularity wise....they are kinda close together.

If only I could know how to support outiside of here....it would help me so much....
well for us bdee supporters it seems he's getting a lot more popular by miiverse drawings , so try to make good art for paper mario.

A10theHero

SSJ Fraud
NNID
A10theHero
that is simply a miracle for now.

Look, i'm really the most vocal one. I actually managed to get people here that helped a bit because I had expereiences with them, but by far, I'm just the one that is the most interested.

i HAVE to rely on my own....I sure should try because why not, but the problem is here, I have to gain supporters AFTER I tried....that is actually luck based, but it just might work.

As for yt, I don;t even have a mic and can't feel comfortable to record myself talking.....not a good idea.

so far, tumblr sems a simple, but heavy luck based option to start, twitter might seerver, but facebook would be tooo complicated and as for reddit....it'slimiting.

My point is no matter what I do, I can;t chnage my main activities being here because I have like everything here (jsut check the support thread, there;s litterally everything).

The best I can do is link here, but they have to register....not much would do it.

So, I can just do stuff and basically hope....like always.
I just visited your support thread, and I have to say, it looks really really good. With that kind of art, you could do a lot.

I definitely encourage you to try. Use Tumblr, Twitter, whatever you can. And you should still link back to that thread here on Smashboards whenever you can. Even if they don't have an account, they can still view the thread and see what you have to say.

Also, I still suggest that you try using YouTube. Don't bother with using a mic and speaking. Put in some music from Paper Mario games and use fancy text and eye-catching images to get their attention. A video can still be pretty powerful even if a human isn't talking (and of course, you could always record the audio from Google Translate if you want. :p). But just saying, don't put all the information you have on your thread all into one video. Make several separate videos about separate topics. (For example, you could have a video for each counterargument, a video just about a possible moveset, etc.) Oh and end each video with a link to the Smashboards thread.

I like what @ random rendum random rendum said. On Twitter and whatnot, you should paste a link to artwork you see that supports Paper Mario!

And now all I can really say at this point is good luck! :)

Last edited:

random rendum

Smash Journeyman
I'm bad at drawing and miiverse is like asking my brain to explode.

i tried twice.....it wasn';t pretty....
well, what's wrong with the supporters? you said something about them.
Also, another option I didn't mention is YouTube. Presentation is super important here, so this might be the medium you were looking for.

Oh, I didn't mean to offend you. But I thought Nintendo said he couldn't jump because of his heavy backpack. And that's a design element, right? So if they made him keep his backpack in Smash, I wouldn't expect him to jump. I don't really understand the logic of what you were saying though. "If a character doesn't jump in game they'll jump in smash. period." Can you explain that please?
oh sorry, you didn't offend me, I just think that people dislike him because of him not jumping, which makes me upset, so sorry for being rude but like olimar, a better example would be fox, since he didn't be on land before smash64, he took away the element with still making him unique, I used to be against this but now I think weight changing backpack could be a good idea. If they make a cpt. toad sequel I wouldn't him to jump, it would make the game pathetically easy if he could.

TheNerdyOne_

Smash Ace
Mechanics in Smash and mechanics from their original game don't have to be exactly the same. It's always great when Smash makes references to the original mechanics, but they don't have to be identical.

That said, not being able to jump is a big part of Captain Toad and pretty important to his character. Luckily, there are plenty of ways to maintain that. He could have a gimmick where he can empty and fill up his backpack throughout the match, the heaver it is the lower his jump height.

But my personal favorite idea is to do something completely different with his jumping mechanic. When you press the jump button, he doesn't actually jump, but rather a floating platform spawns underneath him and quickly flies upwards. It would be a mechanic completely unique to Captain Toad, referencing both his inability to jump and similar platforms in his game. If properly balanced, he could be a really fun fighter.

Last edited:

random rendum

Smash Journeyman
Mechanics in Smash and mechanics from their original game don't have to be exactly the same. It's always great when Smash makes references to the original mechanics, but they don't have to be identical.

That said, not being able to jump is a big part of Captain Toad and pretty important to his character. Luckily, there are plenty of ways to maintain that. He could have a gimmick where he can empty and fill up his backpack throughout the match, the heaver it is the lower his jump height.

But my personal favorite idea is to do something completely different with his jumping mechanic. When you press the jump button, he doesn't actually jump, but rather a floating platform spawns underneath him and quickly flies upwards. It would be a mechanic completely unique to Captain Toad, referencing both his inability to jump and similar platforms in his game. If properly balanced, he could be a really fun fighter.
@ A10theHero A10theHero this is what I meant, that him not jumping would have to be overcome be one of these

@ aldelaro5 aldelaro5 what kinds of things do supporters disappoint you on?

A10theHero

SSJ Fraud
NNID
A10theHero
well, what's wrong with the supporters? you said something about them.

oh sorry, you didn't offend me, I just think that people dislike him because of him not jumping, which makes me upset, so sorry for being rude but like olimar, a better example would be fox, since he didn't be on land before smash64, he took away the element with still making him unique, I used to be against this but now I think weight changing backpack could be a good idea. If they make a cpt. toad sequel I wouldn't him to jump, it would make the game pathetically easy if he could.
Oh, okay. I don't hate Captain Toad, I think he's really awesome! :D I was just unsure because of him being unable to jump.

I like what you both said about him emptying his backpack. And the one about floating platforms is cool too! I hope Nintendo is taking notes. It'd really make Captain Toad a fun and interesting character to play in Smash. :)

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
I just visited your support thread, and I have to say, it looks really really good. With that kind of art, you could do a lot.

I definitely encourage you to try. Use Tumblr, Twitter, whatever you can. And you should still link back to that thread here on Smashboards whenever you can. Even if they don't have an account, they can still view the thread and see what you have to say.

Also, I still suggest that you try using YouTube. Don't bother with using a mic and speaking. Put in some music from Paper Mario games and use fancy text and eye-catching images to get their attention. A video can still be pretty powerful even if a human isn't talking (and of course, you could always record the audio from Google Translate if you want. :p). But just saying, don't put all the information you have on your thread all into one video. Make several separate videos about separate topics. (For example, you could have a video for each counterargument, a video just about a possible moveset, etc.) Oh and end each video with a link to the Smashboards thread.

I like what @ random rendum random rendum said. On Twitter and whatnot, you should paste a link to artwork you see that supports Paper Mario!

And now all I can really say at this point is good luck! :)
ok, that thread, VERY long story, but what happened is that I eventually realised I was in very dark time in speculation. You know before that July 10 robin announcement video? the freaking sal leak was so annoying because there was like not enought proof to say it was true and people so much assumed it was that EVERY thread suffered BUT the one in the leak. That was even AFTER the rosalina video....i came to the realisation that I was not even bringing support enough which is wehn the OP idea came in. Some of these images are there since like 8 months because they just worked and I had to organised ripped contents and learn gimp skills. The best part? it worked, so much that I decided to add the supporter list and it just kept going.

Thoguh, I had to strategically choose when to post because I could loose bumps, risk infractions by double posting and keep the thread on first page.....that was very hard.

Today, these are of the past as everything is so active that i have to frequently bump the thread, but it means people posts more.

So, that; how the images came, I learned by a game theory video (I'm not kidding, it was the smartest video I saw ever) that you basically NEED to present what you want to people in a way that they feel reached. To have something become a trend, you would have to gather enough to make a downhill effect. It';s really hard to do, but I was getting the logic that images would simply make people more go on the thread. You have NO FREAKING IDEA how much my sig helped. Seriosuly, that sig might have gained me like a ton of supporter because I simply had to talk int he social thread...that;s even why I still did for al this time.

The truth is that not only I know how god that OP is (especially when you comapre it to other threads), but the thing is, you;re definetely not alone to have praised me for that. Some even told it directly in the thread, it was obvious that it just was the way to go and because it worked so well, that will never change.

The good part is I have a pc that is a best for emulation, I can run TTYD and SPM at 60 fps and I have 150+ saves for each game so I can even record it and convert to gif, that is not a problem, anything images isn;t a problem because I know a lot with gimp.

The real problem is how much lcuk based it is. Here, I could try to strategically choose wha to do to actually give me chance while in tumblr, I try and I hope somethign happens. It's really a different way to see this, but idk if it will work as....this also conflicts with my exhaustive mind.

idk if it was obvious, but I'm VERY exhaustive. i jsut want to have everything said but that;s just not possible in tumblr (people are interested by werid stuff). I have to do small post....something I actually fear because I just have the feel I miss something....

So, that is why it';s really hard to figure out for me...it might eventually works, but it just will be time consuming.

@ A10theHero A10theHero this is what I meant, that him not jumping would have to be overcome be one of these

@ aldelaro5 aldelaro5 what kinds of things do supporters disappoint you on?
if you talked about miiverse, that place is everything, but rational...something my brain fears a lot.

And if you meant in general, basically if you support by chances only. That';s like counterintuitive, you woulod support just cause you think he's in....if you have like no idea what I talk, before release, it was a huge problem. Several people supported because they felt more chances. Now, this is still influencing because theygained support, but now, it;s more even as I notice my thread is as much active as others would be, it's not much of a prioblem now.

i actually wuestion the question :)

Anyway, I think so far, tumblr is a good first step because it is the least limiting, but the msot luck based....might work, but I might try in some days....

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
They say that but they're obviously going to dismiss some characters.
@ N3ON N3ON is right on the money here, just read it carefully:

"I can certainly understand your interest in if third-party characters are eligible for the Smash Bros. Fighter Ballot. I want to assure you that you are able to submit any video-game character for this ballot. While we are unable to guarantee your suggested character will become a Super Smash Bros. Fighter, rest assured, we do take all feedback into consideration."

Of course third-party suggestions are acceptable. That doesn't mean they'll get into the game, they've spelled it out clearly twice already (once in the Direct and once again here).

There are undoubtedly some characters that won't happen or are less likely to happen. I would argue if there's nothing keeping them from being playable (not being an Assist Trophy or boss in-game and being a first-party Nintendo character) and they get among the highest votes (K. Rool appears to be a likely candidate for this in regards to newcomers), they're probably pretty much guaranteed to get in.

Third-parties are more questionable, though. So its perfectly fair to speculate on who may or may not be likely to get in. Spyro was the one brought up in this discussion. As a mostly Sony character, I'd say the odds of him are slim, and frankly, hardly anyone is talking about him so he probably wouldn't get high votes, anyway.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Spyro would never happen and recieve massive backlash:
Activision was asked if Spyro and Crash could be used in Sony Smash Bros. They asked a stupidly high amount of money. Why would Nintendo do that for a purple dragon from a seemingly dead franchise when they already have that?

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Spyro would never happen and recieve massive backlash:
Activision was asked if Spyro and Crash could be used in Sony Smash Bros. They asked a stupidly high amount of money. Why would Nintendo do that for a purple dragon from a seemingly dead franchise when they already have that?
A much more popular purple dragon from a seemingly dead franchise, as well.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom