• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

pikazz

Smash Lord
NNID
pikamaxi
The difference is Dee's spear is the majority of what he can do, it's a defining trait of him to use a spear, I think one portal move is ok but not an entire moveset dedicated to one thing. http://kirby.wikia.com/wiki/Magolor look at what he has to offer and his floating hands aren't special, they have a limit, I just think that having at least 50% of his specials being the same thing is a horrendous idea
I was kidding about the spear
however, the moveset I was listing for magolor was most based of his attacks from Kirbys Dream Collection races
the only thing I can think of is either replace UpB or SideB with the move that "makes him spin and bypass walls" and replace downB with a enemy creater attack (like Dededes SideB in brawl) or a counter there if he get hits, he laughs to the opponent and strikes back.
however thanks to the limitations to 3DS, the enemy creater attack can be hard to pull off

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Who do you guys seem confident on? K.Rool, Isaac and Wolf for me
Actually, quite the same characters as you have listed. Am mostly hopeful for K.Rool and Isaac though, am all but 100% certain they'll make it, but Wolf, yeah he's a total given at this point.

Hopefuls now: King K.Rool, Isaac, Dixie Kong, Impa

And the best thing is, these where all my most wanted togheter with Mewtwo

PushDustIn

Salt Lord
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
PushDustIn
3DS FC
3695-0954-3750
Hopeful: Wolf, Chorus Kids, King K. Rool OR Dixie Kong, Paper Mario OR Inkling. Chorus Kids because I think they were worked on during development, and then the other characters have strong support worldwide.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Am I the only person who goes very in depth as to why I think characters should be added in the, "Why should they become a playable character?" section? I went on for almost the allotted 500 characters for Snake.

Last edited:

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Am I the only person who goes very in depth as to why I think characters should be added in the, "Why should they become a playable character?" section? I went on for almost the allotted 500 words for Snake.
Most people do, as far as I know, but that's kinda tricky if you don't speak the language. >w<;;

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Who do you guys seem confident on? K.Rool, Isaac and Wolf for me
Honestly it's only Wolf and K. Rool for me at the moment. There will certainly be a lot of call for Isaac and Banjo but I'm unsure how that'll go down.

I want to say I think any of the ones in my banner have a chance, but I'm not super confident I'll be so lucky. Even Dixie Kong who I thought would be a great choice seems less likely if it's down to pure fan demand.

Am I the only person who goes very in depth as to why I think characters should be added in the, "Why should they become a playable character?" section? I went on for almost the allotted 500 words for Snake.
Nope. I likewise used up all 500 words for Captain Toad. I have noticed a lot of people only do really short reasons like "S/he is the best" though.

Last edited:

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
I'm pretty sure Wolf will make it in.
The fan demand and Sakurai hating it to cut characters make him likely.

King K. Rool and Isaac will place high in the ballot, but Sakurai might just see it as a suggestion box rather than a contest with the "top character" getting in.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
It's how you should be doing it. I did it for one of my suggestions.

As an aside, it seems people are spamming the poll with the same character. Besides the fact that its suppose to be one per person, you shouldn't just keep trying to post for the same character. I can understand if you want to do suggestions for different characters, but your not helping by just spamming one character. In truth, it's far better to do what @ Scoliosis Jones Scoliosis Jones is doing and put some effort into the comment for the character you want. They'll look at that over sheer number. Nintendo does view these threads and they'll be aware if you're trying to ballot stuff. Plus, it's a little dishonest. You are one person and one vote represents you. Spamming a character inflates the votes.

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
I would think that any Nintendo owned character that performs really well (Top 5) would be almost a shoe in, unless Sakurai has something against that character for whatever reason.

In the end they'll be selling these characters individually to us, so it's really in Nintendo's best interest to actually listen to us.

Last edited:

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
It's how you should be doing it. I did it for one of my suggestions.

As an aside, it seems people are spamming the poll with the same character. Besides the fact that its suppose to be one per person, you shouldn't just keep trying to post for the same character. I can understand if you want to do suggestions for different characters, but your not helping by just spamming one character. In truth, it's far better to do what @ Scoliosis Jones Scoliosis Jones is doing and put some effort into the comment for the character you want. They'll look at that over sheer number. Nintendo does view these threads and they'll be aware if you're trying to ballot stuff. Plus, it's a little dishonest. You are one person and one vote represents you. Spamming a character inflates the votes.
Honestly, I've voted for Snake 3 times, have a chance to do a fourth, and plan on continuing to type out a legitimate "Why?" section every time.

To continue, as I've said before, I plan on satiating my appetite for other characters when I am at college and have access to many many many computers. I'll be doing an explanation for every single one too.

But see, that's why I don't think I can possibly be disappointed by this ballot. Honestly, I don't. There are plenty of characters I would be fine with just by them appearing, and many more just by seeing their movesets and how they work. I may not vote for say, Bandanna Dee, but if he gets revealed and has a sweet moveset, HELL YEAH I'll love Bandanna Dee. That's how I work.

Pretty much, I'll be voting for a few different characters. But I think I'll be satisfied with anybody that gets selected. Just moreso if it turns out to be: Snake, K.Rool, Inkling, Banjo, Wonder Red, Isaac...actually you could fit Captain Toad in there too.

Last edited:

random rendum

Smash Journeyman
I was kidding about the spear
however, the moveset I was listing for magolor was most based of his attacks from Kirbys Dream Collection races
the only thing I can think of is either replace UpB or SideB with the move that "makes him spin and bypass walls" and replace downB with a enemy creater attack (like Dededes SideB in brawl) or a counter there if he get hits, he laughs to the opponent and strikes back.
however thanks to the limitations to 3DS, the enemy creater attack can be hard to pull off
oh, ok I just thought you were being blind :p, anyway I like both but Dee is overall more likely

Last edited:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I'm a little concerned with the Layton fans voting for Layton in the ballot. I've seen a number just going "He can use a sword" and then call it a day. I've tried telling them to go a little more detailed with him and not just make the sword as his main factor as he can do a whole lot more than that but I don't know.....

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I'm a little concerned with the Layton fans voting for Layton in the ballot. I've seen a number just going "He can use a sword" and then call it a day. I've tried telling them to go a little more detailed with him and not just make the sword as his main factor as he can do a whole lot more than that but I don't know.....
Hat frisbee. No seriously, if Layton gets in, that has to be a move. Also stealing hint coins

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Even that would be better than just "He's good at fencing".

I would like to see a move that involves hint coins though. Or at least as part of a taunt.
If Layton were to ever get in Smash, it is absolutely mandatory that one of his taunts be "This reminds me of a puzzle!"

Also, he should definitely make use of his various contraptions; that slot-machine gun is just asking to be made into a special.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Even that would be better than just "He's good at fencing".

I would like to see a move that involves hint coins though. Or at least as part of a taunt.
I thought a move can have him slam down a big bag of hint coins or something that gradually gets smaller, to refill it, press Down B to make Layton stand still and think a bit. It also clears his mind and buffs him a bit

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
I just said "I like Rhythm Heaven" when I voted Chorus Kids :V

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
If Layton were to ever get in Smash, it is absolutely mandatory that one of his taunts be "This reminds me of a puzzle!"

Also, he should definitely make use of his various contraptions; that slot-machine gun is just asking to be made into a special.
Yeah that Slot Machine Gun is just begging to be used as a special move. Layton has made quite a number of things that could be used as part of his moveset for Smash in the past so I hope they take advantage of it if they do decide to include him into the games.

I thought a move can have him slam down a big bag of hint coins or something that gradually gets smaller, to refill it, press Down B to make Layton stand still and think a bit. It also clears his mind and buffs him a bit
Sounds pretty neat. Perhaps as a Final Smash they could play that infamous scene where he goes "And the culprit, is YOU" on his opponents. Probably also have a cameo of some other Layton characters too in it. Would be pretty cool imo.

Last edited:

TheNerdyOne_

Smash Ace
Considering the sheer amount of responses, I highly doubt they'll actually read the vast majority of the reasoning. Maybe they'll read a select few from the characters that they might want to make as DLC, but other than that I don't expect anything I wrote to be read by anybody. Plus they would have to go through the translation process for each one.

Though they do seem to be taking the Japanese poll more seriously, they'll probably read those.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
I wrote one up for Rayman and ended up going over the limit and having to cut down and alter my word choices to get it to fit.

I did one for Snake too, but that was mostly me going on about how I miss him since his gameplay potential was already there.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Yeah that Slot Machine Gun is just begging to be used as a special move. Layton has made quite a number of things that could be used as part of his moveset for Smash in the past so I hope they take advantage of it if they do decide to include him into the games.

Sounds pretty neat. Perhaps as a Final Smash they could play that infamous scene where he goes "And the culprit, is YOU" on his opponents. Probably also have a cameo of some other Layton characters too in it. Would be pretty cool imo.
Best part is I know next to nothing about Layton and can think of this stuff! I personally love making movesets for characters

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
Canada, Quebec (or Rogeuport if you want)
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
@ N3ON N3ON is right on the money here, just read it carefully:

"I can certainly understand your interest in if third-party characters are eligible for the Smash Bros. Fighter Ballot. I want to assure you that you are able to submit any video-game character for this ballot. While we are unable to guarantee your suggested character will become a Super Smash Bros. Fighter, rest assured, we do take all feedback into consideration."

Of course third-party suggestions are acceptable. That doesn't mean they'll get into the game, they've spelled it out clearly twice already (once in the Direct and once again here).

There are undoubtedly some characters that won't happen or are less likely to happen. I would argue if there's nothing keeping them from being playable (not being an Assist Trophy or boss in-game and being a first-party Nintendo character) and they get among the highest votes (K. Rool appears to be a likely candidate for this in regards to newcomers), they're probably pretty much guaranteed to get in.

Third-parties are more questionable, though. So its perfectly fair to speculate on who may or may not be likely to get in. Spyro was the one brought up in this discussion. As a mostly Sony character, I'd say the odds of him are slim, and frankly, hardly anyone is talking about him so he probably wouldn't get high votes, anyway.
ok, you don't get why I posted the sad face.

The guy said you COULD submit them, but we know both you and me that their usefullness as a submission can be really low. The guy basically said I COULD submit Goku, but again, we know both me and you that it just won't happen.

Add the fact that indie said the same thing.....they basically made everything to have even more spam, which explains my sad face.....

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I do that for Meowth (and Team Rocket) and Simon Belmont.

Oh, and it's 500 characters, not 500 words.

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
Canada, Quebec (or Rogeuport if you want)
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
I typed a text in librooffice only to spens 2 hours to get a syntasically perfect text, very exhaustive and EXACTLY 500 characters.

Proof:

Screenshot from 2015-04-02 23:15:50.png

A well explained vote just worths more. i'm the type of guy that 500 chracters is just far from enough, but I think I got exhuastive enough :)

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
No. I went to 498 characters telling them why I think Isaac should be in the game.

I didn't feel it was in depth though. I'd need way more than 500 characters to go into any real detail on what Isaac is capable of.

TheNerdyOne_

Smash Ace
I made something, because we all could use more Serperior in our lives.

Before the ballot ends? Veterans. After that it's (somewhat) of a fair game.
I'm betting Lucas and Wolf will be spaced out so that each characters will be evenly spread out across the timespan of Smash DLC. Wolf will probably be pretty late in the year, maybe even after Star Fox U's release, and the next newcomer can be released around the same time of the year Mewtwo is.

Last edited:

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
About DLC, who do you think will have the priority, veterans or newcomers?
I don't think that either will have priority in this process. I feel that if a plausible newcomer is getting more votes than a veteran, the newcomer will get precedence, and vice versa.

D

Deleted member

About DLC, who do you think will have the priority, veterans or newcomers?
I think Wolf is a given, considering he was a cut character from Brawl and the new Star Fox release.

From there, I think the ballots will pretty much look at the top 10, and pick 3-4 to be DLC, the rest will be taken into consideration for Smash 5.

Remember, being the "most voted" doesn't mean ****. This isn't democracy, you're not voting for a character to get in, you're suggesting characters for Nintendo to see which DLC additions will make Nintendo the most money what characters people would like to see in Smash. So, your character could in theory be no.1, but for whatever reason Sakurai could decide to make charactes out of #s 7, 8, and 9 instead.

Granted, in certain cases I feel, such as Banjo, that if a character shows overwhelming support, that's just a pile of cash Nintendo won't be passing up.

EDIT:
Also, I can see Inkling being a DLC character regardless of anything. Promotional purposes, unique concept, game is a fresh IP, etc...

Just wait till Sakurai gets his hands on Splatoon like the rest of us, I can almost guarantee he'll be like "oh ****, I wanna make this into a character for Smash" and he'll likely be encouraged to do so as well. Not gonna lie, game looks hype as ****.

Last edited by a moderator:

SonoUnProcione

Smash Cadet
I don't think that either will have priority in this process. I feel that if a plausible newcomer is getting more votes than a veteran, the newcomer will get precedence, and vice versa.

I agree with this.
I'm also a bit sad tho; we have the possibility to vote a unique, fresh and brand new character, that has never been in a Smash bros., but still the majority is voting for veterans like Wolf.
(I'm italiano, so sorry for my bad english)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom