• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
It's a good thing Doshin the Giant isn't popular.

I'd love an assist trophy of him though.....or heck even a regular trophy.

Last edited:

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Again, Sakurai can change his mind again or a new director that doesn't keep Ridley true to their fanfiction
I get what you're saying, but I also hate that defense because it's inarguable. You could say that about anybody or anything, in regards to anything.

Instead of saying that Ridley still has a good chance because "Sakurai can change his mind", fans should (my opinion) keep the outlook of, "I"ll support him, but I don't necessarily expect him." The vibe I get is that people banging their heads off the wall for Ridley DLC are going to knock themselves out from doing the same thing over and over again.

Smash 5? Different story. He could change his mind, but that's not exactly a sturdy reason to expect him.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
*for smash 5 only

with the implications of Ridley being Big this is glorious
It's something, it'll take about 6 years but it will be glorious

You mean Ridley does have small wings and doesn't join sides like a prison *****?
EDIT: My confidence in Ridley DLC is 0.5% so I'm fully aware he's not making it in this installment

Last edited:

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
I love Ridley as much as the next chap, I was there when it all fell apart and remained a long time afterwards, but I agree with @ Scoliosis Jones Scoliosis Jones and @ A Distant Demon A Distant Demon : it's not happening right now.

Next game, sure thing. But give it time. Sakurai is not going to change his mind anytime soon. Instead of clinging to the past and trying to desperately shoot down reality, move on and find something else to appreciate. It's a big game, there's a lot to talk about. Dredging up the "he said, she said" mudslinging antics of the past only makes everybody look bad and helps nobody.

EDIT: :4greninja:'d with this beauty of a post:

I get what you're saying, but I also hate that defense because it's inarguable. You could say that about anybody or anything, in regards to anything.

Instead of saying that Ridley still has a good chance because "Sakurai can change his mind", fans should (my opinion) keep the outlook of, "I"ll support him, but I don't necessarily expect him." The vibe I get is that people banging their heads off the wall for Ridley DLC are going to knock themselves out from doing the same thing over and over again.

Smash 5? Different story. He could change his mind, but that's not exactly a sturdy reason to expect him.
Yes to all of this. ALL OF IT.

Last edited:

Kalimdori

Amateur Youtuber
NNID
Kalimdori
3DS FC
5129-1442-5970
Again, Sakurai can change his mind again or a new director that doesn't keep Ridley true to their fanfiction
With that logic we shouldn't hope to see Pac-man or a Animal crossing fighter in the gam-OH WAIT.

Yeah i'm pretty that's not going to stop people for voting for him plus it's not like his words are finally sooooo still voting him.

#RIDLEYTOOBIGTOFAIL2015. :awesome:
Oh not again...

It's perfectly fine and dandy to vote for Ridley, I did too, but to argue he has any chance isn't smart.

Is it possible that Ridley could be added in the next game? Yes, it is TECHNICALLY even possible for him to be added as DLC for this game, but there is literally NOTHING that is in his favor right now. It's fine to support him, I still do as well, but I facepalm every time I see someone trying to argue why he has a chance.

Wolley2xjd

Banned via Administration
Except that's comparing a time period of much larger than...months after Smash 4 came out. That's not really comparable at all. Those words on Pac-Man and Villager were from around Brawl. Not Smash 4. Two different games.
Yes that's true but if if someone we're to show that he can work has a fighter then i'm pretty he would be more open to the idea.

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
So is this the character discussion thread or the Ridley v2 thread? No such thing as Smash character discussion without Ridley arguments, I suppose....

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Oh not again...

It's perfectly fine and dandy to vote for Ridley, I did too, but to argue he has any chance isn't smart.

Is it possible that Ridley could be added in the next game? Yes, it is TECHNICALLY even possible for him to be added as DLC for this game, but there is literally NOTHING that is in his favor right now. It's fine to support him, I still do as well, but I facepalm every time I see someone trying to argue why he has a chance.
Again, I don't believe he has a chance this time, I'm talking about how the Japanese ballot said the results will be taken in consideration for future games and even then he wouldn't be a shoo in unless he was small in Metroid by then

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
Canada, Quebec (or Rogeuport if you want)
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
So is this the character discussion thread or the Ridley v2 thread? No such thing as Smash character discussion without Ridley arguments, I suppose....
before release, I would say yes of course, that's almost a fact.

Now, I feel it's like more something that comes from time to time....whichb might be better that way....

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I don't know if anybody else is doing this, but when I get access to more computers, I plan on spreading the wealth of my vote to multiple candidates. Those candidates are:

1) Snake
2) K.Rool
3) Isaac
4) Inkling
5) Wolf
6) Banjo & Kazooie
Maybe 7) Wonder Red

I have school on Monday, and I plan on using the computer lab I have access to in the morning to vote. I've already voted for Snake 3 times. I will be happy no matter who out of this list shows up. Even if Snake doesn't make it, but K.Rool does, that will be a victory for me, and the fans who want him. I hope a lot of people do stuff like this. Gives a good sense of togetherness, doesn't it?

Ice Climbers I love to death, but I don't think they'll come back unless Sakurai thinks up a new mechanic with a solo Climber. Kind of a cool idea to think of really.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
looking at the reddit's percents is kind of strange.

their support for Ridley, dixie, and k rool is much lower than the other places. Shovel knight is much higher and waluigi is technically twice as high
skull kid is 6 times as high.

not to say smashboards is void of outliers (wolf)

gameFaqs needs to be educated on how viewtiful Wonder Red is
Communities are different. Noticed Tumblr is fully on the Daisy train. (My feed anyway)

Last edited:

TheNerdyOne_

Smash Ace
Speaking of Tumblr, I need to spread my survey there. Problem is, I don't use Tumblr and don't know how I would go about that.

Wolley2xjd

Banned via Administration
I understand the points people try to make but at the same time I feel that it's silly to say he won't make it in when people have pointed out the "reasons" why he wasn't in the first place, I not going to act like he's a sho in but at the same time i'm not going to act like he has not chance because that claim is is just false but then again we're dealing with a man who thought that it would be a good idea to add random tripping to a fighting game and to add a party mode that barely fun to play so who i'm to talk.

I stick by my statement and will stand by my statement until he get's in or not.

I other words, i'm still voting for Ridley and there's not a thing you can do about it. (unless you come to my house and kill me but killing is wrong unless you're Ridley then in which case kill more then)

Yeah now changing fighters so what you guy's thing of having another 3rd party character in the game.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Who do you guys seem confident on? K.Rool, Isaac and Wolf for me
I think the only DLC character we can say is a relatively safe bet at this point is Wolf; he has every reason to return at this point, especially after Lucas came back. Aside from that, anything's possible, I suppose. Though I still stand by my belief that a DK newcomer, whether that be K. Rool or Dixie, is a very likely choice.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I think the only DLC character we can say is a relatively safe bet at this point is Wolf; he has every reason to return at this point, especially after Lucas came back. Aside from that, anything's possible, I suppose. Though I still stand by my belief that a DK newcomer, whether that be K. Rool or Dixie, is a very likely choice.
I pretty much agree with this.

I think if @ BKupa666 BKupa666 and the Kremling Krew do a good enough job selling K.Rool, we might see him as DLC. He's been popular for awhile and clearly is getting a lot of votes. If he doesn't happen for one reason or another, I think Dixie would have a good shot as well.

Wolf is, in my opinion, going to happen. Ice Climbers? Understandable reasoning. Snake? Even though he's my favorite, I can understand the reasoning. Wolf?...I got nothing. If you bring back Lucas and Mewtwo, and acknowledge that Wolf has the votes, then here he comes.

Maybe 7) Wonder Red

Bing bang boom, look who's in the room.

Any video game character is eligible, confirmed by a Nintendo rep in response to worried fans.

Banjo is in the running boys.
rayman hype? rayman hype
what kind of intro is that?

as for who I see as likely, wolf. I would say dixie but now i'm not sure. K rool has dedicated fans but dixie corners the casual market and has muh relevancy. (which actually matters believe it or not) but im certain one or the other will be playable

Maybe not likely but I could see Wonder Red making it in on uniqueness alone, something Sakurai likes.

Last edited:

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
I pretty much agree with this.

I think if @ BKupa666 BKupa666 and the Kremling Krew do a good enough job selling K.Rool, we might see him as DLC. He's been popular for awhile and clearly is getting a lot of votes. If he doesn't happen for one reason or another, I think Dixie would have a good shot as well.

Wolf is, in my opinion, going to happen. Ice Climbers? Understandable reasoning. Snake? Even though he's my favorite, I can understand the reasoning. Wolf?...I got nothing. If you bring back Lucas and Mewtwo, and acknowledge that Wolf has the votes, then here he comes.
The way I see it, if Lucas can come back, then there's absolutely nothing stopping Wolf from doing the same, with or without the ballot. Every reason for bringing Lucas back can apply to Wolf as well. The difference is that Wolf is even more popular than Lucas and comes from a larger and much more well-known series, which happens to be getting a brand new game this year that features Wolf.

To be perfectly honest, I can't think of a good reason why he wouldn't return at this point.

As for K. Rool... If the ballot is seriously taken into consideration, and Sakurai doesn't have some sort of personal reasoning for not adding him to the roster, then I think there is a very real chance that he could be made into DLC.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Think I've said it before, but Ridley votes are perfectly permissible in my book as a way of sending a message. I guarantee he'll get the most votes out of any NPC with a pre-existing role in SSB4, which is a pretty good sign that, despite that role supposedly being designed with fan satisfaction and character faithfulness in mind, the fans disagree. Doesn't mean he's likely at all to happen now, but it's better than just sitting back and remaining silent.

TheNerdyOne_

Smash Ace
Nintendo really should have allowed people to vote for multiple characters, and only allow one response per computer while they're at it. There's not just one character that I would be excited for, I see no problem with voting for multiple.

Wintropy

NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
I agree with Falsie, Wolf has no real reason not to come back. Which is great, as I'll be able to play with my all of my top Brawl characters again~

As for characters I think are likely:

K. Rool, for obvious reasons;

Dixie, especially if she's a Lucas / Wolf style semi-clone;

Isaac, the dark horse of the Smash scene;

Inkling, Nintendo's newest all-star;

Roy, a popular veteran with a loyal fanbase;

Wonder Red, an unsung hero that Sakurai seems to be fond of;

Snake, if Nintendo are willing to invite him back in;

Rayman, ibid;

Bandana Dee, the fourth hero of the Kirby clan;

A simple, no-hassle clone like Young Link or Pichu.

I think two or three of these characters will make it in. It's just a matter of whom it is at this point.

TheNerdyOne_

Smash Ace
I agree with Falsie, Wolf has no real reason not to come back. Which is great, as I'll be able to play with my all of my top Brawl characters again~

As for characters I think are likely:

K. Rool, for obvious reasons;

Dixie, especially if she's a Lucas / Wolf style semi-clone;

Isaac, the dark horse of the Smash scene;

Inkling, Nintendo's newest all-star;

Roy, a popular veteran with a loyal fanbase;

Wonder Red, an unsung hero that Sakurai seems to be fond of;

Snake, if Nintendo are willing to invite him back in;

Rayman, ibid;

Bandana Dee, the fourth hero of the Kirby clan;

A simple, no-hassle clone like Young Link or Pichu.

I think two or three of these characters will make it in. It's just a matter of whom it is at this point.
3 seems like a pretty reasonable number for newcomers if you ask me. My predictions are Inkling, Captain Toad, and King K. Rool. If they're going to sell this DLC, they're going to need popular characters. An Inkling obviously has appeal with Splatoon releasing soon, Toad is quite popular among the majority of Nintendo fans, and K. Rool definitely has popularity on his side.

Wintropy

NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
3 seems like a pretty reasonable number for newcomers if you ask me. My predictions are Inkling, Captain Toad, and King K. Rool. If they're going to sell this DLC, they're going to need popular characters. An Inkling obviously has appeal with Splatoon releasing soon, Toad is quite popular among the majority of Nintendo fans, and K. Rool definitely has popularity on his side.
Shoot, forgot Captain Toad.

I think he has a very strong chance.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
On Banjo&Kazooie, I'm gonna be massively paranoid that if they pick 'em, we get those awful Microsoft redesigns. I really hope they pull Pac-Man/Mega Man and keep them classic N64-era selves.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
I think Wolf is super obvious at this point.

Snake...probably not, but even if he has a chance I still didn't want to vote for him (even though he's practically the only character that I REEEEEEEALLLY want) because I'm confident he'd get in if there's no problems. Plus even if votes for him mattered, I know how passionate MGS fans are, so I'm not worried about his vote count.

I voted Chorus Kids...who I think could get in just based on the data found and if the dev team worked out the issues with them (or whichever RH character we were gonna get), so I probably wasted my vote in the end. In all honesty I don't know who to vote that legitimately has a chance (cuz otherwise I'd vote Elite Beat Agents up in this alllll day), because for me, the inclusion of Snake and Chorus Kids (and Wolf) would make the roster pretty much perfect and I wouldn't ask for anyone else, so whatever.

I couldn't care less about the Ice Climbers, mostly because I'm still salty about wobbling and chain grabs. :V

Last edited:

A10theHero

SSJ Fraud
NNID
A10theHero
I kinda want Spyro the Dragon to be in Smash. I feel like he's an important video game character. He has been a part of some important developments in video games. Before his first game, open world games would conceal faraway locations in a level with fog or other methods. Spyro the Dragon introduced the concept of showing these places and having their polygon counts increase as the player nears them. Along with that, the enemy AI was also interactive during a time when most enemies had static/fixed processes. Also, Skylanders started the interactive toys revolution, which we can see has influenced Nintendo, as evident through the Pokemon Rumble U NFC figures and Amiibo.

In addition, Spyro is a recognizable character. The older audiences know about him from the original and Legend of Spryo series, and the younger kids know about him because of Skylanders. It would be really cool if they made his Smash design similar to his appearance in the original series, based the majority of his moveset on his attacks from The Legend of Spyro, and used his voice actor from the Skylanders series. In my opinion, this would be the most appealing way to include Spyro.

This is what I had in mind for his moveset:
In The Legend of Spyro, Spyro had access to melee combos and breath attacks. The majority of his aerials, tilts, smashes, and neutral attack could be based on these melee attacks. And if they decide to include a jab combo, they could use those games for reference for that as well!

B: He could breathe fire like what Charizard and Bowser do. Or it could be like the Daybringer Flame from Skylanders, which is just a fireball. I would prefer the latter just because it could work well with my idea for his customs.

B Customs: In The Legend of Spyro, Spyro's breath attacks included Fire, Electricity, Ice, and Earth. These could be made into customs, and they could be blasts that have different effects. The electricity breath could be similar to Zero Suit Samus's neutral special and paralyze (but have a shorter range to compensate). The ice breath could freeze like Mario and Luigi's ice balls. And the earth breath could have no additional effect and be able to travel farther than any of the other breaths. Since he can only have two of these other breaths, I would personally choose Electricity and Earth to be the alternates to his Fire breath.

Side B: This could be him charging forward/backward.

Side B Customs: They could make a heavy charge that's slower and more powerful. It could be based on Ibex's Wrath Charge from Skylanders. Then there could be a faster charge that's weaker.

Up B: In the Skylanders series and The Legend of Spyro: Dawn of the Dragon, Spyro could fly. So he could flap his wings and fly upwards. If they want to stay true to the original Spyro, it could be more like Meta Knight's up special. Or, since sheep are an important part of the original and Skylanders series, he could do something like Sonic, but with sheep.

Up B Customs: He could have one that does a lot of damage but doesn't go that high and one that goes high but doesn't do any damage. For the more powerful version, maybe he could be on fire when he charges upward. And the weaker version could just be a floatier modification of his regular Up B.

Down B: I can see two different paths they can take with this one. He could have a counter where Spyro would shield himself with his wings and then strikes back. Or he could do something like Spyro's Earth Pound from Skylanders.

Down B Customs: If he has a counter, he could have one that stuns (like Lucario's Stunning Double Team) and one that's just a dodge and an attack (like Lucario's Glancing Counter). If he uses his Earth Pound, he could have a flaming Earth Pound like Series 2 Spyro and an Earth Pound that does no damage but pushes enemies away.

Final Smash: In The Legend of Spyro, Spyro has a fifth breath that's used pretty much exclusively against the final boss. It's called Convexity. They could do something with this, where he attacks multiple times using this powerful breath. They could even have Sparx play a role in this, maybe shooting at and stunning the opponent, giving Spyro the opportunity to attack.

The biggest obstacle that I can see for Spyro is his minimal presence in Japan. He's much more popular everywhere else. But I'm sure that the developers at Nintendo know about him because of Skylanders and the interactive toys that inspired their own line of such toys. Unfortunately, however, before Skylanders: Spyro Adventure, which released in Japan on the Wii U in 2013, there was no new Spyro game there for almost 10 years. I can't find any sales data on that game in Japan, so I'm not sure how many people are aware of his existence there. But then again, not that many people knew who Marth and Roy were when they first appeared in Melee. And it turned out fine for them. Perhaps doing the same with Spyro wouldn't be that big of a problem. Other than that issue, I don't think that there's anything else that's really a hindrance for Spyro the Dragon being in Smash.

Of course, it's still important to mention that because Spyro is a 3rd party character, he may be at a disadvantage compared to other potential choices, such as King K. Rool. We don't know to what extent the extra effort for securing a 3rd party character will affect Nintendo's decision when choosing a character, but the costs must be in their mind. Nevertheless, they never said that it was impossible for a 3rd party character to make it into Smash, so Spyro the Dragon still has a chance!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom