• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I know people are GOING to vote for Goku, but seriously, I still don't understand it. Why do they HONESTLY think Goku has ANY chance in HELL of getting added? They did say, you know, "within reason." Not all characters work. Goku is clearly one of them, but some idiots just don't understand that logic.

And people get on me for trying to hype up an AT for DLC -_-
Actually, I never caught who you were requesting. Though, considering your avatar, my guess would be Lyn. Honestly I'd love to see her, don't see it happening, though. Lyn was actually my Fire Emblem request before her AT confirmation, and Robin ended up replacing Lyn on my Fire Emblem request.

The longer that the game's out, the more that they can work on it so they may be finding a way around the IC problem as we speak
That's a totally different thing from suggesting that they'd even think of making IC's exclusive to new 3DS, though. Yes, they could definitely try considering making IC's work on 3DS, but that's probably the only way it will happen.

So I just thought of something: I wonder how the CSS is going to be changed to accommodate Lucas.

As you all might know, there's an order to it, that being the series with multiple characters going in chronological order of release date...while the lone rep series also go in order, in between the gaps.

Mario extended universe (1981)
The Legend of Zelda (1986)
Metroid (1986)
Kid Icarus (1986)
Fire Emblem (1990)
Kirby (1992)
Star Fox (1993)
Pokémon (1996)

Game & Watch (1980)
Punch-Out!! (1984)
Duck Hunt (1984)
R.O.B. (1985)
Mother (1989)
F-Zero (1990)
Animal Crossing (2001)
Pikmin (2001)
Wii Fit (2007)
Xenoblade Chronicles (2010)

Pac-Man (1980)
Mega Man (1987)
Sonic (1991)

However, Mother will no longer be an single character series once Lucas returns. That means, if they want to maintain the organization of the CSS, the Mother duo will have to be relocated to in between the Kid Icarus and Fire Emblem characters, as Mother was first released in 1989.
I'm guessing they'll shift the clones into their proper franchises and move Duck Hunt up one, kicking the FE characters to the next line. Or the DLC characters could just get their own page, or be positioned at the end of the CSS, and avoid the dilemma of reorganizing the roster all-together.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Oh, good, we're talking about which characters will be highest in the ballot! It just so happens that I have an answer based on the people who have answered my survey so far.

You can take a look here.

I only got 136 of those results from Smashboards, the rest are from reddit (feel free to up the number by voting in the survey, link in my signature), so the results are skewed towards that community. According to that, the top 10 are:
  1. Shovel Knight
  2. King K. Rool
  3. Snake
  4. Isaac
  5. Wolf
  6. Ice Climbers
  7. Bayonetta
  8. Inkling
  9. Waluigi
  10. Rayman
3rd Parties might be possibly out of bounds if NOE's Twitter post was any indication. So a lot here might not get in. Though the company behind Bit Trip suggested to vote for CommanderVideo in their Twitter, so IDK.

Waluigi and Ice Climbers have already been dismissed to their respective roles, unless Sakurai is willing to change the game to add both in.

I can only see Isaac, Wolf, King K.Rool and Inkling being good candidates (though I wonder if Wolf will follow Lucas as a new DLC outside of the ballot.) if going by all the above.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I'm guessing there's going to be a DLC button between the Mii Fighters and the Random box in both games.

ZeldaFan01

Cassie Shore/Shelby Goodkind (Netflix)
NNID
?
I know people are GOING to vote for Goku, but seriously, I still don't understand it. Why do they HONESTLY think Goku has ANY chance in HELL of getting added? They did say, you know, "within reason." Not all characters work. Goku is clearly one of them, but some idiots just don't understand that logic.
Same here. Goku is an Anime character. I mean if they didn't allow Ash to become the Pokemon Trainer in Brawl, how the hell do they expect to have Goku in? I-I don't understand peoples' thinking..

ChaosSoul

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ChaosSoul
3DS FC
2148-8364-1572
I think we need to do a quick tally of who we voted for to see what we have

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
I'm guessing there's going to be a DLC button between the Mii Fighters and the Random box in both games.
We'll be finding out soon enough.

3DS will put the second page to good use, I'd guess. Given that each player has his own screen, switching pages works.

Wii U still has some room for character icons, but they could go with a special icon and have the DLC characters in one menu similar to Mii Fighters or custom character builds.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Same here. Goku is an Anime character. I mean if they didn't allow Ash to become the Pokemon Trainer in Brawl, how the hell do they expect to have Goku in? I-I don't understand peoples' thinking..
Goku isn't an anime character though, he should be playable, hasn't been in a game since Kirby Dreamland 3. Retro revival bab-Oh, THAT Goku

Hobler

Smash Rookie
I know this sounds crazy but if we were to have another pokemon character i would have to vote for Farfetch'd

Hobler

Smash Rookie
Even tho Goku is troll and probably is impossible to make it here is my top 10
1. King K. Rool
2. Shovel Knight
3. Crono (From Chrono Trigger)
4. Isaac
5. Goku
6. Ridley
7. Knuckles
8. Banjo and Kazooie
9 Farfetch'd (Yup)
10. Wolf

Last edited:

Dinoman96

Smash Master
Same problem as the Ice Climbers.

Too many swordsman amirite?
I'm going to be honest here: I never saw Chorus Kids being designed in the same way as Ice Climbers. To me, they seem like they would of been more like Duck Hunt, as in basically one character with the appearance of multiple. The "multiple characters out as once" gimmick firmly belonged to the Ice Climbers, and I don't really understand why Sakurai would attempt to copy it and compromise their overall uniqueness.

I don't know, I think four should be the maximum number of third parties in Smash. This game is still mainly based on Nintendo so you don't want to add too many third parties willy nilly.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
I'm going to be honest here: I never saw Chorus Kids being designed in the same way as Ice Climbers. To me, they seem like they would of been more like Duck Hunt, as in basically one character with the appearance of multiple. The "multiple characters out as once" gimmick firmly belonged to the Ice Climbers, and I don't really understand why Sakurai would attempt to copy it and compromise their overall uniqueness.

I don't know, I think four should be the maximum number of third parties in Smash. This game is still mainly based on Nintendo so you don't want to add too many third parties willy nilly.
If they didn't have a similar gimmick, then why were they not in the game? What other tech limitation possibly kept them out?
Sakurai already copied Zelda's transformation, twice. I don't see how else the Chorus Men would have worked.

Five third parties is barely anything. One of them was already in Smash and one is just sitting there as a trophy, so why not?

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
If they didn't have a similar gimmick, then why were they not in the game? What other tech limitation possibly kept them out?
Sakurai already copied Zelda's transformation, twice. I don't see how else the Chorus Men would have worked.
I'm really surprised time constraints aren't taken into considerations when discussing cut characters.

MainJPW

M.T.A
Five third parties is barely anything. One of them was already in Smash and one is just sitting there as a trophy, so why not?
There is this idea of Sakurai not wanting to break the "Holy Trinity" with Sonic, Pacman & Megaman, but Snake and Rayman are easily the highest requested 3rd parties worth implementing. I can see though not wanting to spend development time on more than one 3rd party as there are quite a few of high caliber nintendo characters still not in the game already.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
Wolf is really obvious at this point and they're just waiting for the Star Fox U hype train to start.

Choo choo

Last edited:

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
I'm really surprised time constraints aren't taken into considerations when discussing cut characters.
Here's where you need to get out of the box.

Gematsu mentioned the Chorus Men, but not Bowser Jr. It's clear that they were working on them some time early into development if at all, whereas Jr. was apparently close to a last minute decision. If the Chorus Men were cut due to time constraints, then they would have never been on that leak at all. If they were worked on so early into development, there's simply no way for time constraints to be any issue, they would have given up on them mid development, just like the Ice Climbers.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
Except you're not taking into consideration all the other veterans and newcomers that could have been possibly been worked on before Chorus Kids. You simply can't prove they were worked early based on Gematsu, like, at all.

And we DON'T know the reason why Gematsu missed Bowser Jr and Duck Hunt Dog. We can only assume.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Except you're not taking into consideration all the other veterans and newcomers that could have been possibly been worked on before Chorus Kids. You simply can't prove they were worked early based on Gematsu, like, at all.

And we DON'T know the reason why Gematsu missed Bowser Jr and Duck Hunt Dog. We can only assume.
Sakurai said DHD were considered since the beginning, right?

Burruni

Smash Hero
Correct me if I'm wrong, but was there or wasn't there data found on the disc for Sm4sh WiiU that contained a cheer for Ice Climbers, as well as a series logo for Icies, Dr. Mario, and Rhythm Heaven? I'm not saying "OH THERE'S PROOF CHORUS KIDS WERE WORKED ON. GEMATSU 4 LYFE," but I want to have accurate information on our equivilent of the Forbidden 7.

D

Deleted member

@ Starphoenix Starphoenix

Told ya. :troll:
Buggy shocked face.png

brb casting a million votes for Banjo

And you should all too. If there's a character that unanimously deserves to be in Smash, and is well overdue as well as iconic to Nintendo, AND would be incredibly awesome... it's Banjo and Kazooie.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
I'm trying to recall a picture that showed Luma, Pikmin, and the Duck in comparison to Nana.

Nana is her own character basically, but those three are just weapons with eyes.

How would three individual characters that are clearly not weapons with eyes work any other way than the IC way?

Deathlightning21

Smash Lord
NNID
Deathlightning21
3DS FC
1779-0225-2026
I'm trying to recall a picture that showed Luma, Pikmin, and the Duck in comparison to Nana.

Nana is her own character basically, but those three are just weapons with eyes.

How would three individual characters that are clearly not weapons with eyes work any other way than the IC way?
I think S-Man said something about Nana not properly following PoPo or doing what he exactly did...and flying off the screen...

Burruni

Smash Hero

In a similar way to Duck Hunt, we'd presume. The best comparison I could try to make is the Color Pandora species in Monster Rancher. Basically, the three would act as one unified entity with three "tiny" characters working together as one hitbox. The entire point of the series as a whole and their game in particular is to be in rhythm and synch with who you're partnered with.

Edit: Their dash attack

Last edited:

Pallex

Smash Journeyman
I'm trying to recall a picture that showed Luma, Pikmin, and the Duck in comparison to Nana:

Thank you Google.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom