• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

IceBreakerXY

Universal Champion
I don't think Shulk or Robin will be cut, but to be fair, having a unique moveset isn't always a saving grace, seeing what happened with Mewtwo in Brawl (we're getting him now, I know, but...), as well as Ice Climbers, Snake, Squirtle and Ivysaur...but I suppose those characters had good reasons to be cut, because of either third party issues or technical limitations.
while i can't speak on Squirtle and Ivysaur and i can say that snake and Ice climbers have a reason to be cut.NOt gonna state them becuase everyine and teher grandmother knows why they were cut.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Sometimes I sort of wish Roy was never added to Smash, or at the very least he was never cut. It seems like his exclusion from Brawl, as well as the inclusion of Ike, is what made people think that Sakurai planned on deliberately replacing characters in Smash 4 with others. Like, "Olimar is gonna get replaced by Alph, guys!" and "Pokemon Trainer is gonna get replaced by a new one!" (though in the end he got axed altogether lol), and now I'm seeing "Shulk is FOR SURE gonna get replaced by the X guy!". I suppose the fiasco with Lucario and Mewtwo did this too, but with Lucario in Smash 4 and Mewtwo coming back soon, I thought people would of figured it was all a misunderstanding.

The only character that i can think of that actually did basically get replaced was basically Young Link ----> Toon Link...which makes sense, not because Toon Link is the new flavor of the month, but because he's the most notable "younger link" at this point, with him appearing in six of his own games, and having a more distinctive design from the adult Link from TP. Granted, Lucas was planned to replace Ness back in Melee, but that was a looooong time ago, when the roster was smaller and certain things had yet to be established. Nowadays, I doubt Sakurai actually intends to replace anyone, especially considering he knows each character has their own fans.
Mewtwo and Roy were both planned to be in Brawl, which renders the replacement theories and assumptions nil.

In fact, Dr. Mario and Pichu also had files for Brawl, alongside a few other characters, such as Dixie Kong, who Sakurai said she was planned for Brawl.

The only cut character not found in Brawl's files was Young Link and Sakurai has explicitly stated Toon Link fills the same role.

Add to the fact he stated he doesn't cut characters out of the way at the beginning of development and you know how Sakurai really dislikes the idea of cuts and will only do so whenever necessary.

Heck, the first two DLC characters for Smash 4 are veterans.

Of the 39 characters in Brawl, only 6 didn't return for Smash 4. Of the 26 in Melee, only 5 (or 4, if you consider Young Link = Toon Link) didn't make the cut in Brawl.

If all those facts don't say how Sakurai doesn't simply cut or replace characters out of his own desire, I don't know what will.

Last edited:

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Realtalk:

I highly, highly doubt Robin or Shulk will be cut. Robin is simply too unique and diverse to cut or outright replace. Kamui as a replacement doesn't even make sense, since the two have totally different designs and fighting styles. Chrom replacing Ike would kinda make sense, since they're both robust and noble swordfighters, but it'd still be cutting a fan favourite in favour of "repping" the new guy. I personally find that extremely distasteful, and I can't imagine Sakurai would do such a thing for any reason.

As for Shulk being cut - why? Why on earth would a popular, unique, creative and perfectly legitimate newcomer be scrapped after one game just to "rep" a newer hero, who may or may not even fight anything like him? It would be a ridiculous move, in my opinion, and nothing more than a cynical attempt at "repping" what's popular over what works. And anyway, Shulk is basically the Marth of Xenoblade: the hero of the first (of this particular sub-series and the original one in the Nintendo canon) game in their respective series and, therefore, a representative of the series as a whole. He's not going anywhere.

Seriously tempted to start a Kamui thread now.

ZeldaFan01

Cassie Shore/Shelby Goodkind (Netflix)
NNID
?
on the topic of dlc which characters will get on the top?
From what I understand, I think the top 10 characters will be
1. King K. Rool
2. Snake
3. Wolf
4. Isaac
5. Impa
6. Inkling
7. Dixie Kong
8. Ice Climbers
9. Krystal
10. Bandana Dee

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Realtalk:

I highly, highly doubt Robin or Shulk will be cut. Robin is simply too unique and diverse to cut or outright replace. Kamui as a replacement doesn't even make sense, since the two have totally different designs and fighting styles. Chrom replacing Ike would kinda make sense, since they're both robust and noble swordfighters, but it'd still be cutting a fan favourite in favour of "repping" the new guy. I personally find that extremely distasteful, and I can't imagine Sakurai would do such a thing for any reason.

As for Shulk being cut - why? Why on earth would a popular, unique, creative and perfectly legitimate newcomer be scrapped after one game just to "rep" a newer hero, who may or may not even fight anything like him? It would be a ridiculous move, in my opinion, and nothing more than a cynical attempt at "repping" what's popular over what works. And anyway, Shulk is basically the Marth of Xenoblade: the hero of the first (of this particular sub-series and the original one in the Nintendo canon) game in their respective series and, therefore, a representative of the series as a whole. He's not going anywhere.

Seriously tempted to start a Kamui thread now.
Cross fights with a Machinegun, total Shulk clone, better replace him amiright

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Sakurai won't simply cut characters because of things like irrelevancy and such.

He does prioritize characters with several factors in mind, including relevancy, but he will never cut characters as a direct consequence of such things.

And with DLC being a thing now, the lower priority characters will have a second chance to make it in the game.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
  1. King K. Rool
  2. Snake
  3. Rayman
  4. Wolf
  5. Isaac
  6. Impa
  7. Inkling
  8. Dixie Kong
  9. Ice Climbers
  10. Krystal
Fixed that for you.

Rayman was top 5 in the latest fan poll, right behind Snake. We already have many, many people voting as well.

Last edited:

ZeldaFan01

NNID
?
I meant who do you think is likely?
It's kinda the same results of characters I suppose. I'm sure people are voting for them as we speak. But if we're talking about 3-4 characters excluding Mewtwo and Lucas.
What I think is Likely
1. Wolf
2. Rool
3. Isaac
4. Dixie or Impa

What I would want as likely
1. Isaac
2. Inkling
3. Krystal
4. Impa

But my guess is as good as yours.
I think theirs going to be an additional 5 characters for DLC not including Mewtwo and Lucas who were included before the DLC poll and the Ice Climbers who I think will get in the game in the future regardless of the poll.
I'd love a straight forward number like that as well but, they didn't..tell us.. how many..unfortunately. So who knows, right?

Last edited:

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
I think theirs going to be an additional 5 characters for DLC not including Mewtwo and Lucas who were included before the DLC poll and the Ice Climbers who I think will get in the game in the future regardless of the poll.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Wolf is likely going to be announced at E3. A promotion involving Star Fox Wii U is something I can see happening.

As for possible newcomers, Dixie Kong may be quite likely. She's popular, thus likely going to be among the most wanted characters in the official poll, and Sakurai also considered her during Brawl's development. She also appeared recently in Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze, which helps.

Last edited:

MainJPW

M.T.A
Most likely King K Rool, the missing vets, ridely, shrek, ect
You had to mention Shrek, huh?:smirk:
In all seriousness I wish Sakurai or Nintendo would have clarified and set rules for character voting so as to make sure there aren't too many wasted unrealistic requests such as Shrek, Goku, ect. People really need to think logically about this and need to learn that there's a time and place for silly overused memes and an official nintendo poll isn't the place.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
People say Ridley fans are in denial, but IC is literally impossible because of the hardware. I miss them even though I disliked the chaingrab, so when both IC and chaingrabbing were confirmed to be gone I was upset
Sorry what I meant by that was IC's will either get in or not get in regardless of the DLC poll seeing as Sakurai already finished making them. I could potentially see Nintendo releasing the IC's on the New Nintendo 3DS instead of the regular 3DS even though it won't be popular with some.

I can see only one third party character getting in. It would most likely be a race between Snake, Rayman, and Banjo & Kazooie seeing as their the most requested 3rd party characters. The Snake fan in me wants to see him get in though B & K would be hype as well.

ShinyRegice

Smash Lord
1. Goku
2. Shrek
3. Spongebob
4. Mickey Mouse
5. King K. Rool
6. Snake
7. Wolf
8. Isaac
9. Impa
10. Inkling
ftfy
:troll:
Okay on a more serious note, contrary to the Direct and the Smash Bros. official website, the Smash Bros. Facebook page specifies "Nintendo characters" instead of "Video game characters", which means it quite possibly severely hurts the chances of any third-party character. Unless there was some confusion from the one who posted this, but as much as I want Rayman I honestly wouldn't be surprised if him and other third-party videogame characters are going to just be rejected similar to the likes of Goku and Spongebob because 1) acquiring the rights for a playable third-party character in SSB is always much less easy than any first-party character and 2) I could totally see Sakurai not wanting to break the "holy trinity" of third-party characters currently in SSB4 aka Sonic, Mega Man and Pac-Man. (Not saying no one else deserves a chance, but I'm guessing Sakurai kind of thinks so.)

PS: I checked if new posts were posted before posting mine but I don't want to erase what I wrote prior ahah. But oh well, I'm going to vote for Rayman using another computer and IP address regardless (already voted for K. Rool), even though I'm aware I could possibly just throwing a vote to waste.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Sorry what I meant by that was IC's will either get in or not get in regardless of the DLC poll seeing as Sakurai already finished making them. I could potentially see Nintendo releasing the IC's on the New Nintendo 3DS instead of the regular 3DS even though it won't be popular with some.

I can see only one third party character getting in. It would most likely be a race between Snake, Rayman, and Banjo & Kazooie seeing as their the most requested 3rd party characters. The Snake fan in me wants to see him get in though B & K would be hype as well.
I see, sorry for misunderstanding you, but I don't believe N3DS exclusive won't happen really

TheNerdyOne_

Smash Ace
Oh, good, we're talking about which characters will be highest in the ballot! It just so happens that I have an answer based on the people who have answered my survey so far.

You can take a look here.

I only got 136 of those results from Smashboards, the rest are from reddit (feel free to up the number by voting in the survey, link in my signature), so the results are skewed towards that community. According to that, the top 10 are:
  1. Shovel Knight
  2. King K. Rool
  3. Snake
  4. Isaac
  5. Wolf
  6. Ice Climbers
  7. Bayonetta
  8. Inkling
  9. Waluigi
  10. Rayman

Last edited:

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
I see, sorry for misunderstanding you, but I don't believe N3DS exclusive won't happen really
Nintendo made Xenoblade Chronicles exclusive to the New 3DS and some other games so I wouldn't rule it out. But like I said before, it would be a controversial decision for sure though it would be worth it to get the IC's back in Smash. If theirs some people are really distraught with the idea of a New 3DS exclusive, they could always just get the IC's on the Wii U version. Works fine IMO seeing as most SSB4 owners primarily play the Wii U version.

ZeldaFan01

NNID
?
Oh, good, we're talking about which characters will be highest in the ballot! It just so happens that I have an answer based on the people who have answered my survey so far.

I only got 136 of those results from Smashboards, the rest are from reddit (feel free to up the number by voting in the survey, link in my signature), so the results are skewed towards that community. According to that, the top 10 are:
  1. Shovel Knight
  2. King K. Rool
  3. Snake
  4. Isaac
  5. Wolf
  6. Ice Climbers
  7. Bayonetta
  8. Inkling
  9. Waluigi
  10. Rayman
I'm quite shocked no Zelda characters made the top 10... and about people who actually did vote for a current Assist Trophy

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Nintendo made Xenoblade Chronicles exclusive to the New 3DS and some other games so I wouldn't rule it out. But like I said before, it would be a controversial decision for sure though it would be worth it to get the IC's back in Smash. If theirs some people are really distraught with the idea of a New 3DS exclusive, they could always just get the IC's on the Wii U version. Works fine IMO seeing as most SSB4 owners primarily play the Wii U version.
For Xeno it was because...3DS can't handle it, N3DS has better power

TheNerdyOne_

Smash Ace
I'm quite shocked no Zelda characters made the top 10... and about people who actually did vote for a current Assist Trophy
Well, since this carries over to the next title in the series as well, voting for a currant AT can help their chances in the next game.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
They made a GAME exclusive to that, but we're talking about ONE ASPECT of a game that is already fully available. Its NOT at ALL the same thing.

I'm not because the most popular Zelda suggestions are already Assist Trophies, and Impa isn't THAT popular; she is the next-most important character in the series, but her roles vary more heavily than the triforce trio. Yes, some will still vote for AT's, but a lot less will.

Last edited:

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
Which Nintendo character do you want. =/= DO NOT ask for third party characters.

People go up and down about how Mega Man is basically a Nintendo character.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
@ Cutie Gwen Cutie Gwen @ JaidynReiman JaidynReiman

Then I guess it will sorta be a last resort thing if the IC's on the regular 3DS just doesn't work period. If the IC's were on the New 3DS exclusively, it would still please the fanbase because they could always just get them on the Wii U version. No harm done IMO.

D

Deleted member

1. Shovel Knight
  2. King K. Rool
  3. Snake
  4. Isaac
  5. Wolf
  6. Ice Climbers
  7. Bayonetta
  8. Inkling
  9. Waluigi
  10. Rayman
Those voting Shovel Knight are going to be sorely disappointed unless the game's release in Japan goes through....

HylianHeroBigBoss

Smash Lord
NNID
HylianHeroSnake
"Which Nintendo character do you want in Super Smash Bros.?"
You're taking the US facebook pages literal words at face value, just because its worded like that doesnt mean anything. They could have outright told us that all else would not be worth voting for, but they didnt, and if they didnt want an influx of shrek and etc they could have easily stamped that out as well (people would still do it) but none of that holds true since its all fair game at this point.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
@ Cutie Gwen Cutie Gwen @ JaidynReiman JaidynReiman

Then I guess it will sorta be a last resort thing if the IC's on the regular 3DS just doesn't work period. If the IC's were on the New 3DS exclusively, it would still please the fanbase because they could always just get them on the Wii U version. No harm done IMO.
Its not a last resort unless Sakurai states its a last resort or even has that as an option. As of right now, its not even on the cards whatsoever as far as we know. We can't say "oh it could be a last resort" because we're not the ones that make that decision.

ZeldaFan01

NNID
?
Its not a last resort unless Sakurai states its a last resort or even has that as an option. As of right now, its not even on the cards whatsoever as far as we know. We can't say "oh it could be a last resort" because we're not the ones that make that decision.
The longer that the game's out, the more that they can work on it so they may be finding a way around the IC problem as we speak

Dinoman96

Smash Master
So I just thought of something: I wonder how the CSS is going to be changed to accommodate Lucas.

As you all might know, there's an order to it, that being the series with multiple characters going in chronological order of release date...while the lone rep series also go in order, in between the gaps.

Mario extended universe (1981)
The Legend of Zelda (1986)
Metroid (1986)
Kid Icarus (1986)
Fire Emblem (1990)
Kirby (1992)
Star Fox (1993)
Pokémon (1996)

Game & Watch (1980)
Punch-Out!! (1984)
Duck Hunt (1984)
R.O.B. (1985)
Mother (1989)
F-Zero (1990)
Animal Crossing (2001)
Pikmin (2001)
Wii Fit (2007)
Xenoblade Chronicles (2010)

Pac-Man (1980)
Mega Man (1987)
Sonic (1991)

However, Mother will no longer be an single character series once Lucas returns. That means, if they want to maintain the organization of the CSS, the Mother duo will have to be relocated to in between the Kid Icarus and Fire Emblem characters, as Mother was first released in 1989.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom