• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deathlightning21

Smash Lord
NNID
Deathlightning21
3DS FC
1779-0225-2026
You obviously missed my point. Trophies are collectibles, bosses and summons are NPCs. The latter affect directly the gameplay itself.

That's what I mean by major roles.

If they make Ghirahim a character, his Assist Trophy would have to be replaced by a character to fill that same role in order to make DLC add something to the game, rather than adding an element while subtracting another.
But there is the option to turn both bosses and ATs off from the gameplay, thus making them non-effecting of the fights. You however can not turn off the trophies from the game.

And there are easy ways around keeping both the characters and the ATs in the game. Take Lyn for example (there might be better examples, iunno). In Awakening's DLC they introduced Character Cards you got from beating a DLC map or downloading a classic character. These card characters had a blue glow to them to distinctly group them away from the actual character models.

If they wanted to add Lyn into the game all they would have to do is give the AT model that same blue glow.

CometX-ing

Smash Apprentice
Here, I'll change the topic.

Who should I vote for?
Klonoa at least once since you can vote more than once.

Reasons: his only real issue is obscurity.

He has a large number of attacks to choose from.
He has a Wii remake of his first game and seeing how that helped Little Mac...
He's is sorta like a secondary mascot for Bandai Namco, even having the primary mascot on his hat.
He has appeared in Namco X Capcom and has had Cameos and references in plenty of BN games like the Tales of series and Soul Caliber V
His appearance fits in with the casts more cartoony characters.
Namco helped make the game so I would hope they could at least get a second rep
He's the probably the best choice for a Xover character out of BN's whole cast having appeared in every game in his series and being the most unique out of the more popular picks.

that's just me though, other than him I'd say Bandanna Dee or some popular indies.

Dinoman96

Smash Master
Reasons: his only real issue is obscurity.
That only issue is kind of a big problem, considering third parties characters need to be giant icons like Pac-Man and Sonic in order to qualify for Smash. :p

I also never liked the idea of having more than one third party character from each company. Pac-Man already sufficiently represents Namco Bandai, so I don't see the need for any more.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Just a curious question, I'm wondering if you guys are tired about Ridley in general.
You guys probably squeezed out every topic for Ridley to grasping at straw confirmations, to how fierce and awesome Ridley is, to Metroid representation. Do you any of supporters feel like there's still more to talk about.
There really should be nothing else to talk about considering Sakurai himself has already deemed him as nonviable.

People wanting Ridley should look forward to Smash 5 instead.

People keep forgetting that it's going to be the development team that will pick the characters they find viable in regards to implementation within the game and not just based on popularity. The voting is just that: a suggestion.

By sending a vote, you're suggesting the development team to consider that character. More votes for a character will gain more attention from the team, but is no way a ticket for confirmation.

But there is the option to turn both bosses and ATs off from the gameplay, thus making them non-effecting of the fights. You however can not turn off the trophies from the game.

And there are easy ways around keeping both the characters and the ATs in the game. Take Lyn for example (there might be better examples, iunno). In Awakening's DLC they introduced Character Cards you got from beating a DLC map or downloading a classic character. These card characters had a blue glow to them to distinctly group them away from the actual character models.

If they wanted to add Lyn into the game all they would have to do is give the AT model that same blue glow.
And you still keep missing my point.

Why would they add something as DLC WHILE removing other aspects of the game? It doesn't make a lick of sense from a game designing point of view. DLC is supposed to ADD to the game. They're advertised as ADD-ON content.

Having an Assist Trophy promote to playable via DLC implies that said Assist's role HAS to be replaced by another character in order to keep the game design itself intact. Otherwise, an aspect of the game would be lost.

It makes no sense to spend resources in the development of a boss or Assist Trophy, only to scrap said content with a DLC patch. It's bad enough when they're forced to do so due to constraints, let alone doing so deliberately.

And like I said, there are characters with MULTIPLE trophies in the game already such as Mario, Luigi, Link, Pit, Zelda, Ganondorf and Fox.

They can easily label the new Lucas and Mewtwo trophies as "Lucas (Fighter)" and "Mewtwo (Fighter)" to tell their Classic mode trophies and their vanilla game trophies apart, just like how, for example, Ganondorf has the "Ganondorf" trophy for his fighter profile and the "Ganondorf (Wind Waker)" and "Ganondorf (Ocarina of Time)" for his other trophies.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Sure you can. Turn items off = random trophies stop dropping (along with equipment)

ZeldaFan01

Cassie Shore/Shelby Goodkind (Netflix)
NNID
?

You seem to be the one of the only ones who backs up this idea. Seeing Lyn playable using the AT model would be great, It already looks so perfect! Assist Trophies coming as DLC could be disabled if they are played (or taken away entirely actually), it's that simple. I shouldn't have high hopes for this idea but Lyn for the win!

Deathlightning21

Smash Lord
NNID
Deathlightning21
3DS FC
1779-0225-2026
And you still keep missing my point.

Why would they add something as DLC WHILE removing other aspects of the game? It doesn't make a lick of sense from a game designing point of view. DLC is supposed to ADD to the game. They're advertised as ADD-ON content.

Having an Assist Trophy promote to playable via DLC implies that said Assist's role HAS to be replaced by another character in order to keep the game design itself intact. Otherwise, an aspect of the game would be lost.

It makes no sense to spend resources in the development of a boss or Assist Trophy, only to scrap said content with a DLC patch. It's bad enough when they're forced to do so due to constraints, let alone doing so deliberately.

And like I said, there are characters with MULTIPLE trophies in the game already such as Mario, Luigi, Link, Pit, Zelda, Ganondorf and Fox.

They can easily label the new Lucas and Mewtwo trophies as "Lucas (Fighter)" and "Mewtwo (Fighter)" to tell their Classic mode trophies and their vanilla game trophies apart, just like how, for example, Ganondorf has the "Ganondorf" trophy for his fighter profile and the "Ganondorf (Wind Waker)" and "Ganondorf (Ocarina of Time)" for his other trophies.
I just gave you an example of how they could still keep the AT version of the character in the game WHILE having a DLC character of that AT. Yes, I understand for other characters it will be more tough for them. But not all AT characters should be written off because of it.

Also, If Nintendo didn't want to use AT characters as submissions, then wouldn't that had said so during the direct OR made a disclaimer on the Smash Ballot page?

ultimatekoopa

Smash Ace
Just a curious question, I'm wondering if you guys are tired about Ridley in general.
You guys probably squeezed out every topic for Ridley to grasping at straw confirmations, to how fierce and awesome Ridley is, to Metroid representation. Do you any of supporters feel like there's still more to talk about.
Of course there is, the topic is too big

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
I'd vote Layton, but I'm afraid that my vote for a more likely character would encourage whoever actually views the votes to take the request to the top.

But I'm completly satisfied with the characters, now that Lucas has returned. So any new character is a win for me.

ChaosSoul

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ChaosSoul
3DS FC
2148-8364-1572
Although I like the idea of having 10 doc characters people don't seem to realize that most fighting games tend to have about 3-4 dlc characters so I wouldn't get your hopes up for more than that mabey they will do 3 veterans and 1 newcomer

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Depends, are the more vocal Ridley detractors tired of going "HA HA **** YOU SUCK A RIDLEY SIZED **** GOKU IS MORE LIKELY"? Nope. I usually talk about what Ridley could do in potential fights in the actual games or moveset possibilities, weaknesses included

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
I just gave you an example of how they could still keep the AT version of the character in the game WHILE having a DLC character of that AT. Yes, I understand for other characters it will be more tough for them. But not all AT characters should be written off because of it.
You used Lyn as an example, but that definitely doesn't apply to all characters.

An exception doesn't make a rule.

Also, If Nintendo didn't want to use AT characters as submissions, then wouldn't that had said so during the direct OR made a disclaimer on the Smash Ballot page?
I'd say they had the unrealistically high expectations that the players would have common sense... :rolleyes:

Sakurai has explicitly stated that Assist Trophies aren't playable and I think he's going to keep his word on that.

I think anyone expecting Assist Trophies to become playable has unrealistic expectations.

Deathlightning21

Smash Lord
NNID
Deathlightning21
3DS FC
1779-0225-2026
You used Lyn as an example, but that definitely doesn't apply to all characters.

I'd say they had the unrealistically high expectations that the players would have common sense... :rolleyes:

Sakurai has explicitly stated that Assist Trophies aren't playable and I think he's going to keep his word on that.

I think anyone expecting Assist Trophies to become playable has unrealistic expectations.
Now your just getting saucy with me >.<

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
So, looking to the future...

Will Kamui replace Robin in SSB5?

ChaosSoul

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ChaosSoul
3DS FC
2148-8364-1572
Also I'm looking through my trophy collection and both mewtwo and lucas have trophy's already so they do seem content on reuseing the trophy as the classic mode reward I am assuming so mabey we should also take into account who they don't have to make new trophy's for

ZeldaFan01

NNID
?

But, let us have our fun. It can be fun to theorize these things without logic for a change. I think your logic is correct but we can just say its fun to vote on any character to our hearts content and call it a day.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209

How dare you suggest such a thing. :evil:

Could Kamui replace Robin? Yes, that's a possibility. In the same way that Chrom replacing Ike was a possibility.

Kamui and Robin are both distinct characters from different games in the series, each with their own, unique set of abilities. There's no need for one to replace the other. If anything, I'd say it's more likely we'd get both of them (assuming that If is the most recent Fire Emblem game at the time, otherwise we may get whoever the latest protagonist is).

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
So people don't think that the new avatar will replace the current one.

Good.

Hopefully Kamui is just as interesting as Robin.

Hopefuly, we'll see Robin DLC in Fire Emblem: if!

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Kamui probably wouldn't replace Robin. I doubt Kamui would replace Lucina either, since Kamui uses swords and a Dragonstone. As cool as transforming into a dragon would be, there's not much of a way you can incorporate that into a full moveset. The only thing the dragon aspect would do is for a Final Smash.

If anything I think the dancer girl would be a better bet. She's a major part of the story (like Robin was in Awakening), she uses a lance in battle apparently, she's a dancer (no real dancing/bard type of characters in Smash), and likely has other things, too. But very important aspect is that she wields lances, a weapon not really used in Smash basically at all.

Kamui... I have a hard time imagining a moveset. Robin was extremely easy with tomes and swords, but the Dragonstone is hard to incorporate. Unless they tweak it a bit and do a Volga (being able to transform small parts of his/her body for different attacks).

Curious Villager

Puzzles...

Kinda doubt it, we'd probably have another FE game by the time SSB5 rolls around and they would most likely go for whatever character strikes their fancy there.

And even then I don't think they would replace Robin.

Last edited:

Deathlightning21

Smash Lord
NNID
Deathlightning21
3DS FC
1779-0225-2026
So people don't think that the new avatar will replace the current one.

Good.

Hopefully Kamui is just as interesting as Robin.

Hopefuly, we'll see Robin DLC in Fire Emblem: if!
I hope we get another decedent character like Priam again.

ZeldaFan01

NNID
?
Micaiah should've replaced Ike. She's the real protagonist of RD. It would've been another "Roy" situation but I would've loved to see her. there's a slight chance of her making it but Ana seems to be the more popular choice (if they're allowing more FE characters)

Last edited:

The Light Music Club

Smash Master
NNID
_TLMC_
3DS FC
0576-6097-0725
Micaiah should've replaced Ike. She's the real protagonist of RD. It would've been another "Roy" situation but I would've loved to see her. there's a slight chance of her making it but Ana seems to be the more popular choice (if they're allowing more FE characters)
Wow I didnt think her name would be brought up by anyone but me. I voted for her since I wanted a non-clone strictly female magic only character haha.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
While I'm not going to be saying anything on supporting these characters, I still gotta agree with @ Frostwraith Frostwraith on the DLC and Assists, along with many other characters becoming NPCs in Smash 4, aren't very eligible candidates. As they are already given roles, it means they have been dismissed from a playable spot from this time, and changing that would change the core game that was finalized, and might be hassle to implement again after already being in a programmed to function in a certain way and represented with enough love and effort as all things in Smash Bros-games.

It also helps cut down many character requests already in these NPC roles tremendously, which would better help narrow down the great candidates not already in Smash 4 in any form (like Isaac, K.Rool, Dixie and so on.)

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Ike also appears in Path of Radiance, unlike Micaiah, so he's a more important character for the franchise.

Ike is also more popular, again unlike Micaiah.

Sakurai doesn't like cutting characters, let alone outright replace them. The only exception was Young Link replaced by Toon Link and the latter is pretty much a spiritual successor to the former, as both fill the same role in Smash as a younger, lighter and faster version of Link.

Dinoman96

Smash Master
Sometimes I sort of wish Roy was never added to Smash, or at the very least he was never cut. It seems like his exclusion from Brawl, as well as the inclusion of Ike, is what made people think that Sakurai planned on deliberately replacing characters in Smash 4 with others. Like, "Olimar is gonna get replaced by Alph, guys!" and "Pokemon Trainer is gonna get replaced by a new one!" (though in the end he got axed altogether lol), and now I'm seeing "Shulk is FOR SURE gonna get replaced by the X guy!". I suppose the fiasco with Lucario and Mewtwo did this too, but with Lucario in Smash 4 and Mewtwo coming back soon, I thought people would of figured it was all a misunderstanding.

The only character that i can think of that actually did basically get replaced was Young Link ----> Toon Link...which makes sense, not because Toon Link is the new flavor of the month, but because he's the most notable "younger link" at this point, with him appearing in six of his own games, and having a more distinctive design from the adult Link from TP. Granted, Lucas was planned to replace Ness back in Melee, but that was a looooong time ago, when the roster was smaller and certain things had yet to be established. Nowadays, I doubt Sakurai actually intends to replace anyone, especially considering he knows each character has their own fans.

Last edited:

ZeldaFan01

NNID
?
While I'm not going to be saying anything on supporting these characters, I still gotta agree with @ Frostwraith Frostwraith on the DLC and Assists, along with many other characters becoming NPCs in Smash 4, aren't very eligible candidates. As they are already given roles, it means they have been dismissed from a playable spot from this time, and changing that would change the core game that was finalized, and might be hassle to implement again after already being in a programmed to function in a certain way and represented with enough love and effort as all things in Smash Bros-games.

It also helps cut down many character requests already in these NPC roles tremendously, which would better help narrow down the great candidates not already in Smash 4 in any form (like Isaac, K.Rool, Dixie and so on.)
But people everywhere are still gonna vote for Shadow(;
Ike also appears in Path of Radiance, unlike Micaiah, so he's a more important character for the franchise.

Ike is also more popular, again unlike Micaiah.

Sakurai doesn't like cutting characters, let alone outright replace them. The only exception was Young Link replaced by Toon Link and the latter is pretty much a spiritual successor to the former, as both fill the same role in Smash as a younger, lighter and faster version of Link.
Yeah, I guess that's the downside of Micaiah unfortunately. But I'm disappointed because she's also my favorite character besides Lyn. I always thought it would have been cool to have a pure magic-based character from FE. Then there's Tiki a manakete (dragon shifter) who's a recurring character in the series, who also seems to be a popular choice right now. She definitely has my vote

IceBreakerXY

Universal Champion
Yeah i'm pretty robin and shulk are main stays.Sakurai loves those unqie movesets we still have game and watch despite him not having a game and god knows how long and when was the last time marth starred in a fire emblem game

random rendum

Smash Journeyman
Kamui probably wouldn't replace Robin. I doubt Kamui would replace Lucina either, since Kamui uses swords and a Dragonstone. As cool as transforming into a dragon would be, there's not much of a way you can incorporate that into a full moveset. The only thing the dragon aspect would do is for a Final Smash.

If anything I think the dancer girl would be a better bet. She's a major part of the story (like Robin was in Awakening), she uses a lance in battle apparently, she's a dancer (no real dancing/bard type of characters in Smash), and likely has other things, too. But very important aspect is that she wields lances, a weapon not really used in Smash basically at all.

Kamui... I have a hard time imagining a moveset. Robin was extremely easy with tomes and swords, but the Dragonstone is hard to incorporate. Unless they tweak it a bit and do a Volga (being able to transform small parts of his/her body for different attacks).
I think a poking weapon should be used for characters without 4 reps, bandana dee, or krystal

Dinoman96

Smash Master
Yeah i'm pretty robin and shulk are main stays.Sakurai loves those unqie movesets we still have game and watch despite him not having a game and god knows how long and when was the last time marth starred in a fire emblem game
I don't think Shulk or Robin will be cut, but to be fair, having a unique moveset isn't always a saving grace, seeing what happened with Mewtwo in Brawl (we're getting him now, I know, but...), as well as Ice Climbers, Snake, Squirtle and Ivysaur...but I suppose those characters had good reasons to be cut, because of either third party issues or technical limitations.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I don't think Shulk or Robin will be cut, but to be fair, having a unique moveset isn't always a saving grace, seeing what happened with Mewtwo in Brawl (we're getting him now, I know, but...), as well as Ice Climbers, Snake, Squirtle and Ivysaur...but I suppose those characters had good reasons to be cut, because of either third party issues or technical limitations.
Time constraints, hardware issues, copyright. No excuse for the pokemon though other than us being at 8 characters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom