• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheNerdyOne_

Smash Ace
Because the chances are so small given his statement on Ridley just came out you'd be better off shifting to your next choice. Because Ridley didn't just start getting popular... because it's not lack of demand that's keeping Ridley out... because Ridley already has a role in the game... because Sakurai's problem with Ridley is Ridley himself? I mean these things aren't going to change overnight.

Down the line, for Smash 5, is it possible that Sakurai will change his mind? It's not outside the realm of possibility. Keep in mind that certainly doesn't mean it's likely. But the thing about the people who are still going as hard for Ridley as they ever did is that they've acted like Sakurai never issued that statement, like Ridley hasn't gotten passed over twice already, like nothing has changed and it's still before we got that Pyrosphere caption and it all went to hell. Sure they might've acknowledged it, but saying maybe it'll happen anyway, by whatever justification you want to use, isn't acceptance, it's denial.

There comes a point where you need to cut your losses. There comes a point where you need to face the music. Ridley, at this juncture, is a dead end.

People like to bring up Villager as the example for why Ridley might happen. But you know what happened after Sakurai gave his statement about Villager? People stopped asking for him. Yet it happened anyway. And that's what Ridley fans need to grasp. Ridley is important enough, Ridley is popular enough, and Sakurai is more than aware of the demand. More demand at this point will solve nothing. If it's meant to happen, it'll happen. Eventually. Just wait it out, if it happens great, if not it's certainly not for lack of trying, and in the meantime use your voice where it could actually still effect things.
Voting in a poll on the internet isn't exactly a big deal, I think it's okay for people to vote for who they would like to see regardless of likelihood. Especially given that this is the entire purpose of said poll.

There is very little chance that Captain Charlie will ever be added to the roster, but I voted for him anyway. Why? Because I want to see him in the game. Nintendo giving us this poll to see who we want, not who we think is likely.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

What's with the Frozen hate? You gotta:

:troll::troll::troll::troll::troll::troll::troll::troll::troll::troll::troll::troll::troll:
Not hate; just that no one can ever say those three words without running the risk of dragging the song (which isn't a bad song by any means) into the discussion.
I've literally had to cut the phrase out of my vocabulary while on campus.
....and my own mother.

EDIT:
Besides......
I have a counter. :troll:

Last edited by a moderator:

ZeldaFan01

Cassie Shore/Shelby Goodkind (Netflix)
NNID
?
Voting in a poll on the internet isn't exactly a big deal, I think it's okay for people to vote for who they would like to see regardless of likelihood. Especially given that this is the entire purpose of said poll.

There is very little chance that Captain Charlie will ever be added to the roster, but I voted for him anyway. Why? Because I want to see him in the game. Nintendo giving us this poll to see who we want, not who we think is likely.

We need more people like you 'round here. :3

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
Where did I say that they'd need to remove Stage Hazard Ridley (Clone Ridley) from Pyrosphere (which could be done, but not needed)?
It was heavily implied, because Ridley isn't going to both be a boss that you can KO (with his own stock icon of the actual Ridley, mind you) and a playable character.

Why would you keep the topic closed where there is no reason to do so, surely with it going against any self consistent piece of logic there is no reason to keep in closed?
Proof against Ridley has been provided by both the game and it's director. The straws you are grasping do not help your case.

Nobody is going to "confuse" an entirely different Ridley, with an entirely different look either are they?
Nobody would confuse Toon Link next to Conductor Link either, but precautions were still taken none the less.

As you state, there are exceptions, even with the exact same character (i.e. Duck Hunt Dog). Actual Ridley looks nothing like Clone Ridley from Other M, and surely nobody is going to get confused beyond "he's purple", in which case I wonder why you can still use a purple Charizard on Pyrosphere. They could even reskin Clone Ridley if it were that much of a problem.
Purple Charizard =/= Ridley. The Dog appears for a second, is 8-Bit compared to a 3D model, it's much bigger than the playable Dog, and the player knows when and where it shows up.

Both Ridleys would both be Ridleys that fight during the match, being able to launch and KO each other even. Confusion is bound to happen with many people.

If you concern is that "you just don't want Ridley discussed here as the moderation team can't handle such a large discussion again", just flat out say it. There's no logic in the argument being presented here, but "we can't handle a Ridley thread" is a perfectly valid reason.
If you want to go to a place where Ridley is discussed I implore you to talk about him in his personal Social Forum.
http://smashboards.com/social-forums/space-pirates-luxurious-mansion.1760/

He's not getting a thread for the reasons I've been telling you since the beginning. ...And now I'm done talking about this.
(No one post the damn song, please. -_-)
why say this?????

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Their was a Brawl poll? Didn't know that. I only followed the Dojo site back in the day, Don't remember much from Brawl because I was like 12-13 years old when it was released.

The poll will most likely give Sakurai a basis as to who he thinks should get in the game. There's going to be a zillion people voting for Goku and Shrek but those 2 characters are pretty much guaranteed to not make it in any Smash game.

PeterJude

Smash Ace
It was heavily implied, because Ridley isn't going to both be a boss that you can KO (with his own stock icon of the actual Ridley, mind you) and a playable character.
Yeah, I do find it a bit odd that they have a stock icon that is different to Clone Ridley. But again, they're changing plenty of things through patches.

Proof against Ridley has been provided by both the game and it's director. The straws you are grasping do not help your case.
I'm not the one grasping at straws, you're the one who's relying on a huge assumption. Sakurai presented plenty of evidence against plenty of characters over the years, and look where we are now. The point remains that we are not in a position to rule characters out for pretty much any reason, particularly not characters that aren't in the game.

Nobody would confuse Toon Link next to Conductor Link either, but precautions were still taken none the less.
Precautions could be taken in this case too.

Purple Charizard =/= Ridley. The Dog appears for a second, is 8-Bit compared to a 3D model, it's much bigger than the playable Dog, and the player knows when and where it shows up.
A purple Charizard isn't Ridley, but at the same time Clone Ridley =/= Ridley to put it your way. Their main similarity is that they are purple dragons, and if that were enough for confusion then thoughts would have to be made to the purple Charizard.

Both Ridleys would both be Ridleys that fight during the match, being able to launch and KO each other even. Confusion is bound to happen with many people.
People get confused by plenty of things. The characters are different, and it wouldn't be a stretch to reskin Clone Ridley in same way to make him distinctive or different in such matches (much like the change of Toon Link for the Spirit Tracks level).

If you want to go to a place where Ridley is discussed I implore you to talk about him in his personal Social Forum.

I'm actually not interested in discussing Ridley. I just find it absolutely bizarre that you'd block discussion of one of the most popular characters for no self-consistent logical reason.

He's not getting a thread for the reasons I've been telling you since the beginning. ...And now I'm done talking about this.
The reasons that have no self consistent logical basis?

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Here's a little factoid that should probably be stickied on this forum somewhere: you aren't voting for characters. This isn't a competition where the highest requested character "wins." This is a ballot. It's an opportunity to show your enthusiasm for a character, potentially get picked up by some intern at Nintendo and passed along to some suit in Japan, and maybe, just maybe, pique Sakurai's interest enough to give character _____ a consideration. This isn't any different from the Brawl poll way back when. The only difference is its effects are a little more immediate since we're talking about DLC characters.

Just something to consider.
Well... it is still a vote. We are still filling out a ballot with a candidate we want to see included in a position. It's just that we might not ever find out the rankings, and it's hardly a guarantee that the highest placed characters will actually get in. But to call it... like... a "suggestion" wouldn't be wrong either.

It doesn't really matter what you call it...

There is very little chance that Captain Charlie will ever be added to the roster, but I voted for him anyway. Why? Because I want to see him in the game. That's the whole point of Nintendo giving us this poll, to see who we want, not who we think is likely.
Everybody likes to get behind an idealistic perspective... but the whole point of this poll is not to tell Nintendo who we want, it's to get Smash characters. Asking who people want is the step before getting the character (actually a couple steps before but the ones in the middle stop involving us). If you want to stop at that step, or if you believe any one character - regardless of who they are or their perceived likelihood actually has a chance, you go for it. It can't hurt to vote for whoever you want. But let's be honest, voting for some characters could for real help, not just add one more tally to a character who won't make it to the important rounds.

But I've gone on enough about this. Vote for whoever you want on whatever basis you want, even if it's one that seems willfully short-sighted, that's what open ballots are for I suppose.

Last edited:

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
I'm actually not interested in discussing Ridley. I just find it absolutely bizarre that you'd block discussion of one of the most popular characters for no self-consistent logical reason.
We were just discussing him, weren't we? I didn't say people are getting infracted if they talk Ridley, there's just no thread for him.

TheNerdyOne_

Smash Ace
Everybody likes to get behind an idealistic perspective... but the whole point of this poll is not to tell Nintendo who we want, it's to get Smash characters. Asking who people want is the step before getting the character. If you want to stop at that step, or if you believe any one character - regardless of who they are or their perceived likelihood actually has a chance, you go for it. It can't hurt to vote for whoever you want. But let's be honest, voting for some characters could for real help, not just add one more tally to a character who won't make it to the important rounds.

But I've gone on enough about this. Vote for whoever you want on whatever basis you want, even if it's one that seems willfully short-sighted, that's what open ballots are for I suppose.
It's not about believing that the character you vote for has much of chance, it's just about letting Nintendo know who you would like to see in the game. That's what Nintendo is after with this, to see who we want. If who we want doesn't line up with who they want, they'll just skip over that character and move on to the next.

You can try to manipulate the data all you want, but at the end of the day the popular characters will still end up at the top regardless. And besides, Nintendo has actually decided to give us the chance to directly voice our opinions, the more honest we are the more useful the data is for them.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
HEY, LOOK OVER THERE, A RAYMAN.
Or any other character besides Ridley.

PeterJude

Smash Ace
We were just discussing him, weren't we? I didn't say people are getting infracted if they talk Ridley, there's just no thread for him.
No, we're discussing why he isn't allowed a thread on him.

That's the thing, my concern is just why you'd block discussions here for such a popular character when we have no reason anymore to block any character discussions. We have no precedents anymore, anything now is an unbacked assumption. Even the assist trophies aren't an issue in the slightest as they could very easily replace them with something else.

For example, I honestly wouldn't be surprised if Takamaru gets added if there's a decent amount of support through the ballot for him. The same with Ghirahim.

The big difference with Ridley though is that he can actually coexist with the clone Ridley as they are different characters within their own series, and data errors in the trophies or not (and the stock icon) don't discount Ridley in the slightest, particularly when even taking them to be the same character (that is, ignoring the Metroid series' story outright), it's not impossible for Stage Hazard Ridley to be reskinned (i.e. Meta Ridley).

There just isn't a reason to block such discussions here, at least not the reasons given. If it's just a rule to reduce the workload by preventing another Mega Ridley thread, I could understand that, but the reasons given don't match with what we have to work with right now.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
It's not about believing that the character you vote for has much of chance, it's just about letting Nintendo know who you would like to see in the game. That's what Nintendo is after with this, to see who we want. If who we want doesn't line up with who they want, they'll just skip over that character and move on to the next.

You can try to manipulate the data all you want, but at the end of the day the popular characters will still end up at the top regardless. And besides, Nintendo has actually decided to give us the chance to directly voice our opinions, the more honest we are the more useful the data is for them.
Exactly, why would you want to be skipped over, something that will happen to the vast majority of characters entered, when you can effect the outcome on a grander scale? The downside to not putting your very most wanted character is putting a wanted character that you might actually end up playing as. But why is that a downside? If you value a pipe dream more than a fair shot, go ahead, I did say it's not all about who you believe has the best chance in my last post, but why would you? If you believe it won't be skipped over that's one thing, but it's not useful data if it's going to be skipped over...

I understand it boils down to a difference of values, and I'm not saying yours is without merit, but I fail to grasp why people would prioritize sharing the character they want most above potentially getting a character they want a little less, but still an amount you'd be very pleased to get them. I mean you can share your slim shots here. Sure Nintendo isn't listening here, but given the likely volume, they won't be listening to 99% of the seldom requested/ineligible characters on the poll either.

I'd rather just put my money on the safer bet that pays less than shoot for the jackpot I suppose.

Last edited:

PeterJude

Smash Ace
Insta locking Ridley threads without discussing why they should be locked, classy stuff.

There was even one for actual Ridley started by someone that got locked without a mod even commenting. Why stifle discussion when there is evidence to suggest that anyone is off the table at this point? Particularly stifle discussion about a character that isn't even in the game?

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
There are many places you can still talk about Ridley even if he doesn't have his own thread, it's not really that much of a problem.

Also I don't believe you were around for Ridley's old thread. If you were you'd know why the mods aren't eager to have a new one.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Insta locking Ridley threads without discussing why they should be locked, classy stuff.

There was even one for actual Ridley started by someone that got locked without a mod even commenting. Why stifle discussion when there is evidence to suggest that anyone is off the table at this point? Particularly stifle discussion about a character that isn't even in the game?
We've already made our stance pretty clear dude. Multiple times.

And just so you know, you're preaching to the choir.

Both @ AEMehr AEMehr and I wanted Ridley pretty badly. Most of the staff did. He was my most wanted.

But it's time to move on. You're grasping at straws. The trophy identifies Other M Ridley as Ridley.

It cites his game appearances as Metroid and Super Metroid.

Sakurai refered to him as just Ridley.

It's meant to be the same Ridley.

It's sad, but its time to accept our fate.

Last edited:

PeterJude

Smash Ace
There are many places you can still talk about Ridley even if he doesn't have his own thread, it's not really that much of a problem.

Also I don't believe you were around for Ridley's old thread. If you were you'd know why the mods aren't eager to have a new one.
There are plenty of places to still buy milk, but if my supermarket stopped selling it because it was "the work of the antichrist" I'd still find it utterly bizarre.

We've already made our stance pretty clear dude. Multiple times.

And just so you know, you're preaching to the choir.

Both @ AEMehr AEMehr and I wanted Ridley pretty badly. Most of the staff did. He was my most wanted.

But it's time to move on. You're grasping at straws. The trophy identifies Other M Ridley as Ridley.

It cites his game appearances as Metroid and Super Metroid.

Sakurai refered to him as just Ridley.

It's meant to be the same Ridley.

It's sad, but its time to accept our fate.
Sakurai could have referred to him as Charlotte for it matters. The point is that we're in a new beginning now, and it's worth having all character threads open for discussion until we know more about what they're doing. I've seen plenty of communities go through the same non-logic and ultimately be shown to be completely wrong when the developers go back and change their minds. I remember the Civilization forums discussing how certain Civs were "deconfirmed" due to city states, only for the developers to just change which city states were in the game. I remember plenty of games where the same applies.

I doubt Ridley will be included during this development cycle, but don't dress up your opinions as having any basis in fact. We don't know at this point whether or not it's possible, and it's something work being discussed. Regardless of what the trophy (which have already been shown to have zero value in determining if a character is "deconfirmed" or not) says, we are in a new position now, one without precedent. Why not just open the threads for discussion and see what happens rather than stick to weak assumptions?

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
There are plenty of places to still buy milk, but if my supermarket stopped selling it because it was "the work of the antichrist" I'd still find it utterly bizarre.
You'd still be sol and no better off complaining about it.

Until you went to the supermarket next over and realized you could still buy milk there.

PeterJude

Smash Ace
You'd still be sol and no better off complaining about it.

Until you went to the supermarket next over and realized you could still buy milk there.
So what you're saying is that in this case Smashboards is trying to be a poor supermarket chasing off it's customers?

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Yes.

And one would find a new supermarket which we conveniently created.

Sakurai could have referred to him as Charlotte for it matters. The point is that we're in a new beginning now, and it's worth having all character threads open for discussion until we know more about what they're doing. I've seen plenty of communities go through the same non-logic and ultimately be shown to be completely wrong when the developers go back and change their minds. I remember the Civilization forums discussing how certain Civs were "deconfirmed" due to city states, only for the developers to just change which city states were in the game. I remember plenty of games where the same applies.
Did those Civs have the creator literally say why a certain civ wasn't in the game?

I doubt Ridley will be included during this development cycle, but don't dress up your opinions as having any basis in fact. We don't know at this point whether or not it's possible, and it's something work being discussed. Regardless of what the trophy (which have already been shown to have zero value in determining if a character is "deconfirmed" or not) says, we are in a new position now, one without precedent. Why not just open the threads for discussion and see what happens rather than stick to weak assumptions?
Bro.

I was for keeping the Ridley thread open after the April Direct.

I was holding on until the leaks...

We have a place for discussion with one of the greatest and most supportive communities on this site.

Just go there.

So what you're saying is that in this case Smashboards is trying to be a poor supermarket chasing off it's customers?
We're saying that certain customers shouldn't get more special treatment than they already got.

Last edited:

RoseyBetch

Smash Journeyman
I'm praying for K Rool though.

[just to try and bring up a different conversation]

Last edited:

PeterJude

Smash Ace
Yes.

And one would find a new supermarket which we conveniently created.
Actually, I'd complain to corporate normally, as it would be giving them a bad reputation and they'd probably want to know about it.

Did those Civs have the creator literally say why a certain civ wasn't in the game?
The developers never talked much about selections if I recall. However, Sakurai has been known to "rule out" characters that he's gone right ahead and picked at the next possible chance (i.e. Villager).

Bro.

I was for keeping the Ridley thread open after the April Direct.

I was holding on until the leaks...

We have a place for discussion with one of the greatest and most supportive communities on this site.

Just go there.
I'm not actually that interested in discussing Ridley. What I'm interested in is why there are weak assumptions and circular logic being used to justify locking threads for one of the most requested characters immediately after the creators opened a ballot for exactly that reason.

This isn't about "he isn't likely", it's about the fact that no one on this forum can know if he's still possible or not, and no matter how unlikely you feel he is at this point, with the ballots you never know what they might end up deciding, particularly when Ridley isn't even in the game.

My personal preference though would be to not ruling anyone out, or if you're going to, for Smash Boards to pledge a figure, say $5000 per character to a charity, for each one of these "deconfirmed characters" that end up in the game. If you're so certain about it, why not, it could be a fun gesture to demonstrate how sure you really are. For example, say that Takamaru is confirmed in 6 months time, Smash Boards donates $5000 to a charity. Say Takamaru and Ridley are confirmed, $10,000 etc.

We're saying that certain customers shouldn't get more special treatment than they already got.
In this analogy, Ridley is milk, not a customer.

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Actually, I'd complain to corporate normally, as it would be giving them a bad reputation and they'd probably want to know about it.
Then go complain in the Forum Support.

The developers never talked much about selections if I recall. However, Sakurai has been known to "rule out" characters that he's gone right ahead and picked at the next possible chance (i.e. Villager).
Yeah.

In other games.

Not the same game.

I'm not actually that interested in discussing Ridley. What I'm interested in is why there are weak assumptions and circular logic being used to justify locking threads for one of the most requested characters immediately after the creators opened a ballot for exactly that reason.
Well then, here's a question.

What about Chrom?

This isn't about "he isn't likely", it's about the fact that no one on this forum can know if he's still possible or not, and no matter how unlikely you feel he is at this point, with the ballots you never know what they might end up deciding, particularly when Ridley isn't even in the game..
But Ridley is in the game.

Literally.

He even had developer comments directed toward him being in the game.

My personal preference though would be to not ruling anyone out, or if you're going to, for Smash Boards to pledge a figure, say $5000 per character to a charity, for each one of these "deconfirmed characters" that end up in the game. If you're so certain about it, why not, it could be a fun gesture to demonstrate how sure you really are. For example, say that Takamaru is confirmed in 6 months time, Smash Boards donates $5000 to a charity. Say Takamaru and Ridley are confirmed, $10,000 etc.
1. Not my place to bet for all of SWF
2. Neither I nor SWF has that kind of money to spare
3. You never once offered anything if he wasn't confirmed.
4. Are you seriously bringing very large amounts of money into this?

In this analogy, Ridley is milk, not a customer.
Yeah...

Customers want Ridley milk, but are forced to go to another supermarktet that has diet Ridley Milk.

PeterJude

Smash Ace
Then go complain in the Forum Support.
I'd prefer it discussed in the open so people can see the debate for themselves.

Again, my only issue is that it takes a massive assumption at this point to rule anyone out.

Yeah.

In other games.

Not the same game.
We have never before seen characters added after release either. This is a new situation, you should treat it as one. What you're using there is poor circular logic.

Well then, here's a question.

What about Chrom?
They could rework Robin's final smash, it's not impossible. If they felt enough were to be gained they could come up with something else. They've reworked others coming into Smash 4, and as has been done by other companies you can rework content to make DLC possible.

But Ridley is in the game.

Literally.

He even had developer comments directed toward him being in the game.
A developer that has been known to change his mind.

1. Not my place to bet for all of SWF
2. Neither I nor SWF has that kind of money to spare
3. You never once offered anything if he wasn't confirmed.
4. Are you seriously bringing very large amounts of money into this?
You're the ones making the huge claim. I am making no such assumptions. Discuss it with the staff, maybe a smaller figure. But the point is that you're clearly not as confident in your statement that "they're ruled out" (or words to that effect) now that something is on the line.

Yeah...

Customers want Ridley milk, but are forced to go to another supermarktet that has diet Ridley Milk.
...or maybe the supermarket shouldn't chase away customers for poorly justified reasons?

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
You're the ones making the huge claim. I am making no such assumptions. Discuss it with the staff, maybe a smaller figure. But the point is that you're clearly not as confident in your statement that "they're ruled out" (or words to that effect) now that something is on the line.
Or you know...

I'm an honest man and don't intend to bet money I don't own because that's ****ing stealing?

And SWF won't just go and give thousands of dollars away for a bet.

Moreover, I can turn this around on you.

You never once offered a counterbet.

Maybe you're not the confident one.

Or maybe you're trying to weasel away from the core issue.

Regardless, I refuse to discuss this anymore.

Asking thousands of dollars to be bet is absolutely ludicrous.

PeterJude

Smash Ace
Or you know...

I'm an honest man and don't intend to bet money I don't own because that's ****ing stealing?

And SWF won't just go and give thousands of dollars away for a bet.

Moreover, I can turn this around on you.

You never once offered a counterbet.

Maybe you're not the confident one.

Or maybe you're trying to weasel away from the core issue.

Regardless, I refuse to discuss this anymore.

Asking thousands of dollars to be bet is absolutely ludicrous.
It's not a bet, it's a charitable offer in certain circumstances. Again, I'm not asking you to confirm it. Discuss it with the staff, could be fun and it would quieten a lot of this kind of discussion as it would prove that you're actually confident in your statements. Which at the moment you don't appear to be.

Why would I offer a counterbet when I've made no such assumptions? The starting point is "all character threads open", your side is the one that's made an assumption and moved from the starting point.

I at no point claimed that I think the likes of Ridley, Takamaru, even Chrom are likely, just that they aren't entirely ruled out. You're the one making the claims, hence you're the one that should be putting something up to prove your confidence.

You can "refuse to discuss this anymore", but that just proves that you haven't a leg to stand on in this regard.

ZeldaFan01

Cassie Shore/Shelby Goodkind (Netflix)
NNID
?
:4peach:This is fun!

It's not a bet, it's a charitable offer in certain circumstances. Again, I'm not asking you to confirm it. Discuss it with the staff, could be fun and it would quieten a lot of this kind of discussion as it would prove that you're actually confident in your statements. Which at the moment you don't appear to be.

Why would I offer a counterbet when I've made no such assumptions? The starting point is "all character threads open", your side is the one that's made an assumption and moved from the starting point.

I at no point claimed that I think the likes of Ridley, Takamaru, even Chrom are likely, just that they aren't entirely ruled out. You're the one making the claims, hence you're the one that should be putting something up to prove your confidence.

You can "refuse to discuss this anymore", but that just proves that you haven't a leg to stand on in this regard.
Straw grasping game so strong that you broke all the bendys.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Circular logic = A standard that has been decided upon?

We're not denying that any character "excluded" by this singular logic (Assist Trophies, Pokeballs, Final Smashes, Stage Hazards) have a chance of entering the game. We're just opting to not re-open previously cloned closed cans of worms (wow that accidental Ridley wordplay). That's the standard. Most characters have social groups which they can congregate and be hyped by the new prospects, it isn't wrong to advertise those groups in these general topics or in general talking about the voting of a character in these types of topics (but best if you direct people towards the social groups).

Last edited:

PeterJude

Smash Ace
Straw grasping game so strong that you broke all the bendys.
The straw grabbing in this case is ruling anyone out.

Circular logic = A standard that has been decided upon?

We're not denying that any character "excluded" by this singular logic (Assist Trophies, Pokeballs, Final Smashes, Stage Hazards) have no chance of entering the game. We're just opting to not re-open previously cloned closed cans of worms (wow that accidental Ridley thing). That's the standard. Most characters have social groups which they can congregate and be hyped by the new prospects, it isn't wrong to advertise those groups in these general topics or in general talking about the voting of a character in these types of topics.
But we don't want another round of the same stuff, when the conversation itself is pretty much cyclical in and of itself.
You can decide upon a stand based on circular logic, yes.

Why have any "Character for DLC" threads open at all in this section then?

PeterJude

Smash Ace
Don't provoke him.

This assumes everyone has a chance including Master Chief, Crash Bandicoot, Bill Gates, and the Fairy Godmother.
I think that you could self consistently deduce that it will be limited to characters that have appeared on a Nintendo console as a video game character. But you can't rule out otherwise valid characters at this point.

Whether or not Nintendo could licence a character to get them in is an entirely different matter all together though.

Last edited:

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Why have any "Character for DLC" threads open at all in this section then?
Because they didn't break the standard we set?
We're happy as long as Social Groups cover the gaps for characters with large followings.

Nothing in this section has changed since before this news. We don't see it as a reason to change it either with all things considering. There's nothing wrong with using the many already existing threads to cover your needs (like who you voted for, or referring people to groups, etc).

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

....yeah, I'm tired of reading this crap. Just going to set this guy on Ignore before I pull an old SSBC forum-styled rant (@ AEMehr AEMehr knows what I'm referring to) and recommend others do the same.

Don't provoke him.

This assumes everyone has a chance including Master Chief, Crash Bandicoot, Bill Gates, and the Fairy Godmother.
How is Crash in the same category as a character owned by Nintendo's corporate rival, a living real world person who founded said corporate rival, and a fairy tale character?

PeterJude

Smash Ace
Because they didn't break the standard we set?
We're happy as long as Social Groups cover the gaps for characters with large followings.

We don't want to reopen things already closed by said logic. Nothing in this section has changed since before this update. We don't see it as a reason to change it either with all things considering.
Yes, but why is that "the standard"? You just can't shout "the standard" and move on with your day, a standard has to be based on something.

Why are certain characters banned from discussion: "Our standard"

Why are certain characters allowed: "Our standard"

Why is that the standard: *crickets*

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
I think that you could self consistently deduce that it will be limited to characters that have appeared on a Nintendo console as a video game character. But you can't rule out otherwise valid characters at this point.

Whether or not Nintendo could licence a character to get them in is an entirely different matter all together though.
Which is why you don't make bold statements. Anyone can be ruled out, but when taken down to a notch, then there are people who shouldn't be ruled out which like you said and anyone in their right mind knows are Nintendo characters or heavily associated with Nintendo. Even then, there are characters who can be ruled out like pointless ones like Pink Gold Peach, Metal Mario, or even Dr. Luigi. Not to mention random NPC #37 in Paper Mario.

How is Crash in the same category as a character owned by Nintendo's corporate rival, a living real world person who founded said corporate rival, and a fairy tale character?
They were examples of why you don't make statements like "ruling out anyone". Crash despite being owned by Activision is still considered a Sony character for some like how Master Chief is a Microsoft character; he's still a rival to some. Outside of that, he's some character not really affiliated with Nintendo. Kind of like asking for Cloud Strife 'cause he's popular.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

They were examples of why you don't make statements like "ruling out anyone". Crash despite being owned by Activision is still considered a Sony character for some like how Master Chief is a Microsoft character; he's still a rival to some. Outside of that, he's some character not really affiliated with Nintendo. Kind of like asking for Cloud Strife 'cause he's popular.
Sounds like a certain soldier of fortune....:snake:

But aside from that, there's clear difference between Crash and Master Chief.
Master Chief is literally impossible due to never appearing on a Nintendo system and being owned by Nintendo's rival.
Crash has been on Nintendo systems and isn't owned by a rival company.

Having questionable odds is not the same as having absolutely no odds at all, which is where your lumping of Crash among the likes of Master Chief, Bill Gates, and the Fairy Godmother falls flat.

Last edited by a moderator:

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Because it covers a majority of what's sensible inclusion without an incessant circular argument.
Why? Because we offer social groups to cover them. Also I've mentioned because of the cyclical conversations that exist within them. What we have now wouldn't change this. And if it wasn't obvious, seeing as you've been around a while, the moderation issues that exist with those topics too.

No point pulling the "I don't like it" (or construing everything possible to express that notion) because it isn't going to change right now. If you have a lesser popular character to discuss with this new chance without a social group, try talking about it here, if it's bigger than that (or grows to be) there's social groups to cover it and we can help out with that if need be (so there's one clean one).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom