• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

IceBreakerXY

Universal Champion
like most people dk rep and wolf is a must have.However i think a indie rep would be nice to see shantae or shovel knight even if that's unlikely

random rendum

Smash Journeyman
I think that dlc characters should be in packs, about 7.99 (like mario kart dlc giving almost half a game) characters, depending on theme would be in packs, and have individual characters, that way 10 characters would be only about 24 bucks in a whole, less than individual purchases OR make a dlc pack from a series with characters,stages,music,trophies,mii costumes, etc.

Kalimdori

Amateur Youtuber
NNID
Kalimdori
3DS FC
5129-1442-5970
So.. okay, 10 characters 5 dollars a character... oh that's like.. almost another game? for not even 20% more content. Sure they might do that, but I don't think they will. They wanna do DLC right from what I've read, and that doesn't seem right to me.
They are charging 6 dollars for 8 Mii Outfits. 9 dollars if you want them on both versions. 4 dollars for a character, 5 if you want it on both versions. (Maybe more in the future, who knows?) And we haven't had any word on possible DLC stages or modes.

Your worries definitely aren't shared by Nintendo, compared to other companies this is very cheap DLC. They seem to be perfectly content with milking Smash Bros for all the money they can get out of it, and the only complaints I'm seeing about the Smash DLC is what it is, not how much it costs.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
MGS HD Collection would be sweet on WiiU, as would Zone of the Enders. Likewise, maybe we can also get some decent Castlevanias on 3DS again. Last good one to come out period was Order of Ecclesia on DS.
Now here's some off topic thread derailment, but I was actually glad to see a new team take over the Castlevania franchise. The Mercury Steam games ended up being highly disappointing as a whole, but the IGA games were not evolving at all. Each one recycled sprites and assets that were dated to begin with, and they all seemed to just be trying to recapture "the magic" of SoTN. OoE was my favorite DS Castlevania by a long shot just because it tried to freshen up the formula, but it was already too little, too late.

Yet Snake was the first third party ever in a Smash game.

Not because of his history with Nintendo, but because Sakurai went out of his way to do it for his friend.

That should tell you how much a third party's "closeness" with Nintendo matters. Not at all.
Not even remotely the same situation. First off, that friend is gone. Secondly, Konami was supporting Nintendo very well during the Wii/DS era. That is no longer the case.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
Not even remotely the same situation. First off, that friend is gone. Secondly, Konami was supporting Nintendo very well during the Wii/DS era. That is no longer the case.
I love playing MGS 2, 3, and 4 on Nintendo consoles, yep.

And apparently Kojima never left, if Konami putting his name back on things is any indication.

The point is that Sonic and Mega Man got in on fan demand alone, not any closeness to Nintendo (which gets thrown around a lot).
The demand for Snake is there, and he's a veteran. Even without Kojima, why would Sakurai not bring him back?

D

Deleted member

Now here's some off topic thread derailment, but I was actually glad to see a new team take over the Castlevania franchise. The Mercury Steam games ended up being highly disappointing as a whole, but the IGA games were not evolving at all. Each one recycled sprites and assets that were dated to begin with, and they all seemed to just be trying to recapture "the magic" of SoTN. OoE was my favorite DS Castlevania by a long shot just because it tried to freshen up the formula, but it was already too little, too late.
No, thread derailment would be if we began talking about how SMTxFE is nothing like SMT and nothing like FE, but instead a weeaboo clusterfest marketed as a broken promise. :p

Personally, I quite like all 3 Castlevania games on DS. They all offer something slightly different in terms of mechanics and are honestly great entry points for newcomers to the franchise.

The Lords of Shadow series was mediocre at best, so the poor sales it got all around, especially on the Nintendo consoles, as well as the flop that was Snake Eater 3D is your answer.

Also, whatever happened to the YuGiOh WC series. Those were pretty fun too, but they're gone now.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
I love playing MGS 2, 3, and 4 on Nintendo consoles, yep.

And apparently Kojima never left, if Konami putting his name back on things is any indication.

The point is that Sonic and Mega Man got in on fan demand alone, not any closeness to Nintendo (which gets thrown around a lot).
The demand for Snake is there, and he's a veteran. Even without Kojima, why would Sakurai not bring him back?
It's not about Metal Gear, it's about the parent companies relationship to Nintendo. If you are not on good terms with someone, you are not going to do them a favor and feature their characters in one of your top selling games. Konami had launch software on the Wii and DS. Metal Gear on the Game Cube was still fresh in people's minds when Snake was announced for Brawl. It is just not the same situation.

Listen, I would love for Snake to come back, I'm just pointing out that things aren't the same as they were when Brawl launched. He could come back, sure. It's just easy to see why he was excluded and why bringing him back is an uphill battle.

Andinus

Smash Journeyman
NNID
kyonyuudaisuki
They are charging 6 dollars for 8 Mii Outfits. 9 dollars if you want them on both versions. 4 dollars for a character, 5 if you want it on both versions. (Maybe more in the future, who knows?) And we haven't had any word on possible DLC stages or modes.

Your worries definitely aren't shared by Nintendo, compared to other companies this is very cheap DLC. They seem to be perfectly content with milking Smash Bros for all the money they can get out of it, and the only complaints I'm seeing about the Smash DLC is what it is, not how much it costs.
That's exactly my point. They already asking a lot of money from consumers. Could they put out 10, 20 characters and have us pay for the game 3 times over, sure, if they have forecasts that say it could happen and will be profitable. I guess so. I don't think they do have that ambitious of a forecast though, and I think they will stick to the classy policy they have stated about DLC for now.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
A couple things I'd like to say without providing too much explanation simply because i'm a lazy sack of **** right now:

1) Gematsu seems more right to me now (Sal said at one point that Lucas was gone but would be made DLC. OH NOEZ)
2) 3rd Party DLC (if it happens) will probably either be Snake or Rayman. I simply don't see anybody else happening.
3) Getting lots of votes will be nice, but I for one doubt that those votes alone will make a character be in the game 100%

That's basically it. Just a few random tidbits.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
It's not about Metal Gear, it's about the parent companies relationship to Nintendo. If you are not on good terms with someone, you are not going to do them a favor and feature their characters in one of your top selling games. Konami had launch software on the Wii and DS. Metal Gear on the Game Cube was still fresh in people's minds when Snake was announced for Brawl. It is just not the same situation.

Listen, I would love for Snake to come back, I'm just pointing out that things aren't the same as they were when Brawl launched. He could come back, sure. It's just easy to see why he was excluded and why bringing him back is an uphill battle.
Snake is from Konami, but Konami's other games don't have anything to do with him or Smash. Hell, Pac-Man is the only case of a third party bringing stuff from outside their franchise, but Namco developed the game and Pac is closely tied with them anyway.

Snake would bring a profit to both Nintendo and Konami, and that's pretty much all that matters to them. Just because Konami isn't making games for Nintendo currently won't hurt anything, Nintendo still does business with Sony on occasion.

There's no proof at all that any of this had to do with Snake being "excluded" either, it's all baseless conjecture. Like how people kept saying that Lucario replaced Mewtwo and Greninja killed him even more, or how Ness stole Lucas' moves.

Hell, people keep saying the same thing about Ubisoft and how they're even worse than Konami, yet there's three Rayman trophies in Smash for no good reason.

Last edited:

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I could go on for hours about why Snake should come back, but it remains important that he is a Smash veteran, and he always will be. If he didn't show up in Brawl, I would get the "DON'T ADD SNAKE" stuff. But really. He was one of the most out of nowhere characters, and that sticks.

He's unique, he's an awesome character, and he's appeared on Nintendo consoles. Sakurai's basis for 3rd parties is that they've appeared, not that they've appeared a butt ton of times. That was established early on in Smash 4 speculation. It's not the number of games, it's the fact that you've appeared.

Also, if him being on competitor consoles is a big deal, they had freaking Gekko trophies and MGS4 music in Brawl. Gimme a break.

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
A couple things I'd like to say without providing too much explanation simply because i'm a lazy sack of **** right now:

1) Gematsu seems more right to me now (Sal said at one point that Lucas was gone but would be made DLC. OH NOEZ)
2) 3rd Party DLC (if it happens) will probably either be Snake or Rayman. I simply don't see anybody else happening.
3) Getting lots of votes will be nice, but I for one doubt that those votes alone will make a character be in the game 100%

That's basically it. Just a few random tidbits.
You know what? I completely forgot about that.

mark welford

Smash Ace
It's too golden of a opportunity for Nintendo to miss announcing Wolf as DLC alongside footage of the new Star Fox game at E3 and they know that is too good of a marketing strategy to pass up not only will he build up hype but Wolf will be promoting Star Fox Wii U all the while bringing in money from fans who wanted him in the game like myself.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
I've voted for Wolf for the simple reason that he was playable in Brawl.

I regret nothing.
You did the right thing.
So with the new information from the Direct, how many DLC characters is everyone predicting?

I'm sticking with my old prediction, 8 more characters (well, 7 now) at minimum, can't decide a maximum as we don't know how long they will be supporting Smash Wii U. Of those characters, Wolf is a lock. Not even a question of if Wolf is going to be DLC, just when he will be DLC.
I think at least 4 more. I don't think they would go through all the trouble of having this big poll for a character or two. Plus they are going all out with the DLC. We do need some stages though.
So when did the support threads turn the ballots into some kind of political election?
See NE0N's point.

The nature of these support threads have changed. Before, they were just for talking about the characters. Now, they are actually campaigns. Since Nintendo is seriously taking suggestions for new characters, support for these characters matters. As such, everyone is the threads will campaign for the character rather than just discussion
I'm expecting around five in total, including Lucas and Mewtwo. Sakurai recently said on his twitter that there wouldn't be too many additional characters due to the amount of work it takes. https://twitter.com/Sora_Sakurai/status/583402090862551040
Sakurai was also debating doing it at all so it may not mean much.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
I could go on for hours about why Snake should come back, but it remains important that he is a Smash veteran, and he always will be. If he didn't show up in Brawl, I would get the "DON'T ADD SNAKE" stuff. But really. He was one of the most out of nowhere characters, and that sticks.

He's unique, he's an awesome character, and he's appeared on Nintendo consoles. Sakurai's basis for 3rd parties is that they've appeared, not that they've appeared a butt ton of times. That was established early on in Smash 4 speculation. It's not the number of games, it's the fact that you've appeared.

Also, if him being on competitor consoles is a big deal, they had freaking Gekko trophies and MGS4 music in Brawl. Gimme a break.
Once again I want Snake, and I think he is possible. It's just that there are certain issues in his way, and we would be better off not ignoring them.

ZeldaFan01

Cassie Shore/Shelby Goodkind (Netflix)
NNID
?
I'm starting to wonder why Sakurai opened up requests again. I think it's because he'd rather see what characters people want now, then to just pick what was popular during development.
Now, I think you should all re-read or read this article about how characters get on the roster
http://kotaku.com/smash-bros-creator-explains-how-characters-get-on-the-1644208199
Did this change any if your minds or is this just old news to you that you were already aware of?

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Roy, Snake, and K,Rool. These are the 3 characters i'm pretty much cheering on for to become DLC characters. If their ends up being 10 DLC characters (including Mewtwo & Lucas who are already confirmed and the Ice Climbers who are already done and awaiting to be released when Sakurai solves the 3DS limitation problem) these 3 characters can easily be a lock.

My dark horse pick is Young Link though I doubt he's getting in at this point.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
I'm making support icons again. I'll do requests for people I know here, if they want to use these.

Thank you and don't mind if I do take some of these for my signature.

Inkling and K. Rool is all I need since N30N's Daisy sig might take a lot of room.

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
Eh, I'll just vote for the characters I like and go from there.
No use muddling myself into the horrors of speculation.

XStarWarriorX

[Get Ready]
hmm through my observations i've noticed throughout you guys' speculating period alot have said.

Chrom is a lock.
Gemastu is a lock.
The base game only is a lock.
Only mewtwo is a lock.
etc.
Now im seeing Wolf is a lock.

I dunno man you guys have a slight chance of being chrom'd again, i always thought we'd get dlc from the beginning and after m2 and chrom wouldn't be in due to "clone reasons" oddly enough the guidance makes fun of this.

What if sakurai sees two semiclones for starfox is "one too many?" I dunno but knowing how crazy sakurai is i wouldnt put it past him. Main point is, be careful on calling locks, most of the time, dey backfire.

Personally im hoping for just newcomers, as veterans as DLC would just be a bore and further reducing the poll's importance to just "smash 5 poll". Just my 2cents. still hype either way, but still skeptical on this whole "shoe in/lock" thing.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Chrom is anything but a lock. He isn't even top 5 on DLC polls.

Burruni

Smash Hero
Chrom didn't get in because Sakurai didn't see anything about him that would be interesting or new as a fighter in comparison to Marth and Ike. Instead, he got used as the Final Smash for the protagonist he saw far more "wow" factor in.

Honestly, I don't see FE getting any newcomer in Sm4sh DLC. Because when we look past the games between Brawl and now and going by the standard of protagonists...

FE10: Radiant Dawn, actually had 2 main protagonists. :4myfriends: Buff Ike and Micaiah, a big spell caster who could heal at the cost of her own HP and plot wise was like some terrible Mary Sue written to no end with fanficy cliches, a target of much hatred in the FE community.

FE11/12: Remake of FE 1 and 3, aka :4marth:'s two games.

FE13: HEY LOOK AT THAT WE'RE BACK AT AWAKENING.

Honestly, even the FE:IF protagonst doesn't seem extraordinary yet as a fighter, I'd hold out until we get someone with a proper lance or axe for diversity.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
I think were good with Awakening reps. You don't need 3 characters to rep one game of one franchise.

RoseyBetch

Smash Journeyman
The reason people see Wolf as a lock is because he's just as popular as Lucas. Additionally, Star Fox U is coming out and a good way to promote it (if he's in the new game) would be to add Wolf in as DLC. I'd love a StarFox bundle with Wolf and Krystal, but that won't happen. Regardless, Wolf has the highest chance to become DLC in my opinion.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Wolf, IC's, and Lucas were around the same when it came to popularity. One has already been confirmed, one has already been finished but is in a tricky situation, and the other will most likely make it in next.

XStarWarriorX

[Get Ready]
Chrom is anything but a lock. He isn't even top 5 on DLC polls.
Chrom didn't get in because Sakurai didn't see anything about him that would be interesting or new as a fighter in comparison to Marth and Ike. Instead, he got used as the Final Smash for the protagonist he saw far more "wow" factor in.

Honestly, I don't see FE getting any newcomer in Sm4sh DLC. Because when we look past the games between Brawl and now and going by the standard of protagonists...

FE10: Radiant Dawn, actually had 2 main protagonists. :4myfriends: Buff Ike and Micaiah, a big spell caster who could heal at the cost of her own HP and plot wise was like some terrible Mary Sue written to no end with fanficy cliches, a target of much hatred in the FE community.

FE11/12: Remake of FE 1 and 3, aka :4marth:'s two games.

FE13: HEY LOOK AT THAT WE'RE BACK AT AWAKENING.

Honestly, even the FE:IF protagonst doesn't seem extraordinary yet as a fighter, I'd hold out until we get someone with a proper lance or axe for diversity.
Im talking about the whole smash 4 spec period, its been a trend throughout.

Thats the thing.... what if he sees it in wolf? I mean in the mother franchise the second most important is indeed lucas. But with starfox its sort of debatable, falco more important or wolf? even then,krystal or hell, even slippy could have that wow moveset/silly moveset factor. Just sayin'.

Realistically wolf is probably going to be in, but being realistic, given whats went on, I wouldnt call it a 100% lock as some have been saying around the boards and other sites.

LOL no

Chrom is anything but a lock. Let's not forget to mention that he's in as a Final Smash, not playable
I clarified, read again.

People have been calling locks since spec day 1, just wondering as to why, because I dont see the 100% "lockness" there.

Last edited:

TheNerdyOne_

Smash Ace
How do you check the survey results?
I'll be sharing those shortly, want to get a few more replies first.

Normally it would probably be best to wait to show results until the poll is finished, but in this case I think an exception can be made.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
I think characters who are Final Smashes, Assist Trophies, or Stage Hazards have a very minimal chance of getting in. That's why i'm very doubtful of Lyn getting in to the game even though I wanted her in.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
I'll be sharing those shortly, want to get a few more replies first.

Normally it would probably be best to wait to show results until the poll is finished, but in this case I think an exception can be made.
I see. Will be waiting then.

@ JamesDNaux JamesDNaux
Hope you don't mind me using your pics in my sig. I made sure to credit you.

EDIT: Sorry for the double post.

Last edited:

ZeldaFan01

Cassie Shore/Shelby Goodkind (Netflix)
NNID
?
I think characters who are Final Smashes, Assist Trophies, or Stage Hazards have a very minimal chance of getting in. That's why i'm very doubtful of Lyn getting in to the game even though I wanted her in.
Disappointing isn't? Lyn is beautiful AND she's a strong and popular lord like Eliwood and Hector.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Disappointing isn't? Lyn is beautiful AND she's a strong and popular lord like Eliwood and Hector.
Yeah, she would be one of my top picks had it not been for her status as an Assist. Will be sure to campaign for her for Smash 5 lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom