• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
Personally I can't see them opening up the ballot for just 1 or 2 characters.

I'm thinking something more like 3-5, if we're trying to be reasonable.

Last edited:

The Light Music Club

Smash Master
NNID
_TLMC_
3DS FC
0576-6097-0725
I think Wolf will now return (I predicted he would be shown instead of Lucas hahaha). I also think once they are voted for, Sakurai will find a way to bring the Ice Climbers back. Snake I think would be the other cut vet with a chance to come back.

As for newcomers, King K Rool has the best bid in my opinion. After that Inkling has a shot (I hope they don't get added). I think Isaac, Mach Rider, and Lip could be potential wild cards. I voted Micaiah as my throw away. Lip, King K, Wolf, and Ice Climbers get my others.

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
I really hope the people who see 3 or more newcomers are right.
That would be about the hypest thing ever, especially considering the character I want most desperately (Toad or Captain Toad) has a solid shot. That plus other cool characters like K. Rool and Isaac having shots is just fantastic.

ZeldaFan01

Cassie Shore/Shelby Goodkind (Netflix)
NNID
?
I just love how Midna, Ghirahim, and Skull Kid could all be potential newcomers, yet they're all ATs which kills their chances quite a bit :(
But I know a lot of people will support and vote for Tetra, Impa, and Vaati, and certain others I'm sure I'm missing
Impa I'd want the most not just because of how beautiful she is

but obviously because of the potential move set we've discussed countless times.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
I just love how Midna, Ghirahim, and Skull Kid could all be potential newcomers, yet they're all ATs which kills their chances quite a bit :(
But I know a lot of people will support and vote for Tetra, Impa, and Vaati, and certain others I'm sure I'm missing
Impa I'd want the most not just because of how beautiful she is

but obviously because of the potential move set we've discussed countless times.
Inb4 @Diddy Kong start spamming multiple votes just for her. :troll:

Kalimdori

Amateur Youtuber
NNID
Kalimdori
3DS FC
5129-1442-5970
So with the new information from the Direct, how many DLC characters is everyone predicting?

I'm sticking with my old prediction, 8 more characters (well, 7 now) at minimum, can't decide a maximum as we don't know how long they will be supporting Smash Wii U. Of those characters, Wolf is a lock. Not even a question of if Wolf is going to be DLC, just when he will be DLC.

RomanceDawn

Smash Lord
NNID
Romancedawn
3DS FC
0044-2811-9045
So with the new information from the Direct, how many DLC characters is everyone predicting?

I'm sticking with my old prediction, 8 more characters (well, 7 now) at minimum, can't decide a maximum as we don't know how long they will be supporting Smash Wii U. Of those characters, Wolf is a lock. Not even a question of if Wolf is going to be DLC, just when he will be DLC.
I always figured at least 4 even before Mewtwo was announced. So if we have 2 now I'm guessing about 6 over all.

Mewtwo is a test, hahaha. Sakurai can only say what he is allowed to say. With the way Nintendo was handling DLC with all of their other franchises there was no way Smash wasn't going to get significant DLC. With the way Nintendo is hurting for money of course it was going to happen. And the way they are getting the community involved to feel like we have in impact is fantastic for marketing purposes.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
With Zelda delayed until 2016, Nintendo might want to use Smash DLC's to fill in this year. No need to stop until Zelda comes out at the very least.

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
I really have to wonder if they are willing to add any new 3rd party characters. If they are it's definitely going to take them a longer time to release them than it would a 1st party character.

ultimatekoopa

Smash Ace
Sakurai said they were fine in the Wii U version and cut just because of the 3DS, meaning they had to have tried 8 player
They said they were barely able to include it in the wii U version, if he had troubles putting 8 characters, putting 16 would surely be way too complicated

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Would everyone be OK if Wii U got Ice Climbers and 3DS got Pichu as exclusives?
No. Exclusives are a bad idea and will always be.

I think they might get work around the issue by making him single. It destroys their gimmick, but also the major source of their complaints. A bit of a double edged sword.

:231:

Last edited:

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Everyone rules out the idea of ICs being on "new" 3DS exclusively, but it's something Nintendo would absolutely do.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
When Nintendo embraces DLC, they don't do it half-heartedly. Now that we know it won't just be Mewtwo, never mind the fact that there's a poll, I expect there will be a decent amount of characters to be added. I mean MK8 has added basically half the amount of content they started with at this point.

Nintendo knows Smash DLC will make them a tidy profit, so I have to imagine they won't be reluctant in continuing to support the game. Smash DLC will end up making them more than the entire profit of some games they've put out for Wii U. Because as integral as Sakurai is, what it comes down to is what Nintendo wants > what Sakurai wants.

D

Deleted member

>People think that we'll have 10 characters for DLC.

1428006801908.gif

You people are delusional.

Dinoman96

Smash Master
I'm expecting around five in total, including Lucas and Mewtwo. Sakurai recently said on his twitter that there wouldn't be too many additional characters due to the amount of work it takes. https://twitter.com/Sora_Sakurai/status/583402090862551040

Which makes sense. Fighting games typically don't tend to have a huge amount of DLC characters (For example, Mortal Kombat 9 had only four, I think), and Smash 4's roster is already packed to the brim with characters (53+, yes, that includes Mii Fighters, Mewtwo, Lucas, and whatever else we're gonna get).

Outside of Lucas and Mewtwo, I definitely think we're getting Wolf back. Seems extremely obvious, with him being on the same boat as Lucas and the fact that Star Fox actually has a new game coming out.

But I definitely hope the Smash devs eventually revisit the idea of the Chorus Kids, or at least implement some kind of Rhythm Heaven character. RH is a fairly significant Nintendo SPD/Yoshio Sakamoto developed franchise and it's extremely bizarre how much it's been given the cold shoulder in Smash. It's not just the lack of a character, it's the lack of a stage, the lack of an assist trophy, and the lack of music. Between the Sneaky Spirits in Smash Run and the fact there's data pertaining to RH within Smash 4's files, it's clearly obvious Sakurai was going to do something more significant with the series, and I hope he comes back to the idea for DLC.

Last edited:

Kalimdori

Amateur Youtuber
NNID
Kalimdori
3DS FC
5129-1442-5970
>People think that we'll have 10 characters for DLC.

View attachment 45531

You people are delusional.
I love it when people try to claim others are delusional, but don't try to back up the claim.

We have two characters coming in the next few months, two months apart from each other, Nintendo is opening up a poll to gauge popular demand for more characters, Iwata reassuring that they will continue to make content for Smash Bros.

10 characters may be an optimistic view, one that I'm fully willing to take, but delusional? No.

When Nintendo embraces DLC, they don't do it half-heartedly. Now that we know it won't just be Mewtwo, never mind the fact that there's a poll, I expect there will be a decent amount of characters to be added. I mean MK8 has added basically half the amount of content they started with at this point.

Nintendo knows Smash DLC will make them a tidy profit, so I have to imagine they won't be reluctant in continuing to support the game. Smash DLC will end up making them more than the entire profit of some games they've put out for Wii U. Because as integral as Sakurai is, what it comes down to is what Nintendo wants > what Sakurai wants.
^This

D

Deleted member

I'm expecting around five. Sakurai recently said on his twitter that there wouldn't be too many additional characters due to the amount of work it takes. https://twitter.com/Sora_Sakurai/status/583402090862551040

Which makes sense. Fighting games typically don't tend to have a huge amount of DLC characters (For example, Mortal Kombat 9 had only four, I think), and Smash 4's roster is already packed to the brim with characters (53+, yes, that includes Mii Fighters, Mewtwo, Lucas, and whatever else we're gonna get).

Outside of Lucas and Mewtwo, I definitely think we're getting Wolf back. Seems extremely obvious, with him being on the same boat as Lucas and the fact that Star Fox actually has a new game coming out.

But I definitely hope the Smash devs eventually revisit the idea of the Chorus Kids, or at least implement some kind of Rhythm Heaven character. RH is a fairly significant Nintendo SPD/Yoshio Sakamoto developed franchise and it's extremely bizarre how much it's been given the cold shoulder in Smash. It's not just the lack of a character, it's the lack of a stage, the lack of an assist trophy, and the lack of music. Between the Sneaky Spirits in Smash Run and the fact there's data pertaining to RH within Smash 4's files, it's clearly obvious Sakurai was going to do something more significant with the series, and I hope he comes back to the idea for DLC.

My thoughts exactly.

Not counting Wolf and the two we're getting, we might get 3 tops from the ballots, and that's generous. 2 seems like a more reasonable guess.

People forget about the balancing aspect when it comes to a fighting game. PM for example has thus far only added 2, and 3 more are rumored to be added. That's a total of 5 characters in a 2 year time frame. Sure Nintendo will add a lot of content, but not all that content will be characters. Look at MK, only 6 racers added since the game launched. Why would Smash which takes more work be any different?

Because the fans want it??

I love it when people try to claim others are delusional, but don't try to back up the claim.

We have two characters coming in the next few months, two months apart from each other, Nintendo is opening up a poll to gauge popular demand for more characters, Iwata reassuring that they will continue to make content for Smash Bros.

10 characters may be an optimistic view, one that I'm fully willing to take, but delusional? No.

^This
I didn't realize N3ON was on the Smash 4 development team. I'm sorry. I'll take back what I said.
/sarcasm

Last edited by a moderator:

Andinus

Smash Journeyman
NNID
kyonyuudaisuki
I'm fairly certain the 3DS will use the next page feature that was found through datamining for all character DLC, so I wouldn't worry about the CSS limiting everything.

This game was designed with DLC in mind, don't forget that.
If that's the case I'm sure you are right but I was less talking about the CSS screen being a reason for limitation and more about that I can't see them putting out say 10 characters and charging 5 bucks a piece for them, essentially the cost of a whole other game, plus you know we will have stages and probably more costumes and fanfare to download too. I don't think they will be that greedy and if they are, well I'm sure there will be some backlash, not to mention, I'm sure they want to save some quality picks for the next installment, assuming there is one of course. So my guess is we will be getting 3 more characters, 5 tops for this installment before they put their eyes on smash 5.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
2 characters is too little,

6-7 seems more likely to me. And Lucas and Wolf already have art assets available.

:231:

Last edited:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I'm not even sure what the limit would be. I think it would depend whether or not said characters already have any assets in the game they could use as well as any potential rights that may come along.

However, I think the Ballot isn't just for what they would include for this game but also for the potential next game too so who knows. I am hoping for at least about 5 more though.

Last edited:

Argos

Smash Apprentice
Expect less, hope for more. It's a strategy that's been working for me so far.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
It doesn't take a dev team member to realize that Nintendo knows they'll probably end up making more profit continuing to support their blockbusters than pump out titles which they might not manage to break even on.

That MK8 DLC was probably one of the most profitable things the Wii U had last year apart from MK8 itself and Smash. And when it comes down to it, balancing is important (then again Namco is competent and balancing has never been the highest priority anyway with Smash), Sakurai's wishes are important, but Nintendo is a business, so what's going to turn them a profit is most important. I'm not saying we'll get ten, that does seem kind of steep, but six, seven, eight? It could see it happening.

Prior to the MK DLC being announced, would anybody have expected getting at least sixteen whole courses? That's basically half the retail game right there. When NSMBU came out, was anybody expecting Nintendo to double the amount of levels with DLC? Even Hyrule Warriors gave us a lot more DLC then most were expecting. I'm just saying, Nintendo hits hard with its blockbusters, because in this gen, on the Wii U, that's going to compensate where many of their games underwhelm commercially, if not fail.

I'm happy getting any DLC, I'm just predicting this is merely the beginning.

Kalimdori

Amateur Youtuber
NNID
Kalimdori
3DS FC
5129-1442-5970
My thoughts exactly.

Not counting Wolf and the two we're getting, we might get 3 tops from the ballots, and that's generous. 2 seems like a more reasonable guess.

People forget about the balancing aspect when it comes to a fighting game. PM for example has thus far only added 2, and 3 more are rumored to be added. That's a total of 5 characters in a 2 year time frame. Sure Nintendo will add a lot of content, but not all that content will be characters. Look at MK, only 6 racers added since the game launched. Why would Smash which takes more work be any different?
PM is a game where the developers have to jump through hoops to add in any sort of character, that's a terrible example :p

Mario Kart has only had 6 racers because the focus of Mario Kart is not the racers, it is the tracks, of which they have added 16. (Tracks, by the way, are much harder to make then characters in Mario Kart)

I've always been exasperated by people trying to claim we'll only get 1-2 more characters after Mewtwo before the Direct, but I kept quiet about it. But now that we have confirmation of continuous support, as well as a ballot trying to gauge popular characters, in addition to how much Nintendo has been supporting DLC in recent years, I'm fully confident in claiming that the only delusional people here are the ones expecting a small amount of characters.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117

The meat of fighting games are characters, the meat of racing games are courses. Different animals entirely.

Andinus

Smash Journeyman
NNID
kyonyuudaisuki
I was viewing Mewtwo's page on the official Smash website and I saw this:

Notice the squares with Pac-Man, Miis, question mark (for secret characters) and Mewtwo? It looks like there's room for five more characters. While it may mean nothing, I think it means that there are five more characters to add before DLC support for SSB4 ends. The next one is obviously going to be Lucas as he's already confirmed, then unless they want to stop before all those slots are filled or on the contrary to go further there are four more characters to add. Also, considering there are two months between Mewtwo and Lucas, we can reasonably assume that there will be two months between each DLC character, which would mean the third one in August, the fourth in October, the fifth in December, and the final one in February 2016, unless maybe if they plan to release two characters in the same month. Those dates would make sense considering the date when the official ballot is no longer supported.

So, what do you think about that?
The thing is the though the poll that is supposed to be giving us the power won't close until October this year. So there is a chance we won't be getting anybody new until after that. But I would suspect we might see somebody like Wolf though since if they knew about Lucas they certainly would know about Wolf since he was apparently also heavily requested in Japan too. Also I think the reason there was 2 months between Lucas and Mewtwo is because the started working on them two months apart. So if they have not started on anybody else yet, then we should probably expect more like a 6 month wait, until of course who they will make becomes decided on, then they could just pump them out one after the other like you are theorizing.

Last edited:

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
I'm only thinking that we'll be getting 5 or 6 characters, counting Lucas and Mewtwo, so 3 or 4 more character announcements.

Anyway, I just want Wolf back and thankfully, he seems a likely choice.

random rendum

Smash Journeyman
My thoughts exactly.

I didn't realize N3ON was on the Smash 4 development team. I'm sorry. I'll take back what I said.
/sarcasm
project m is a fan game, the devs have less experience than the real thing, I don't know why you call people delusional for saying 5-8 newcomers is delusional, sakurai said that there would only be mewtwo but he didn't want pacman or villager he said melee and brawl were the last games.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
People will continue to deny everything.

"We're never getting DLC."

"Oh, Mewtwo will be the only DLC."

"Lucas? Uh, we'll only get line one or two more."

It'd probably feel like a slap to their faces if Snake came back with all the poor excuses used against him.

D

Deleted member

I'm fully confident in claiming that the only delusional people here are the ones expecting a small amount of characters.
It's called managing your expectations. Especially for things that fall out of your control. See:
Expect less, hope for more. It's a strategy that's been working for me so far.
It doesn't take a dev team member to realize that Nintendo knows they'll probably end up making more profit continuing to support their blockbusters than pump out titles which they might not manage to break even on.

That MK8 DLC was probably one of the most profitable things the Wii U had last year apart from MK8 itself and Smash. And when it comes down to it, balancing is important (then again Namco is competent and balancing has never been the highest priority anyway with Smash), Sakurai's wishes are important, but Nintendo is a business, so what's going to turn them a profit is most important. I'm not saying we'll get ten, that does seem kind of steep, but six, seven, eight? It could see it happening.

Prior to the MK DLC being announced, would anybody have expected getting at least sixteen whole courses? That's basically half the retail game right there. When NSMBU came out, was anybody expecting Nintendo to double the amount of levels with DLC? Even Hyrule Warriors gave us a lot more DLC then most were expecting. I'm just saying, Nintendo hits hard with its blockbusters, because in this gen, on the Wii U, that's going to compensate where many of their games underwhelm commercially, if not fail.

I'm happy getting any DLC, I'm just predicting this is merely the beginning.
I agree and I disagree.

No doubt Nintendo will support their juggernauts especially when they turn a profit. That's basically been their strategy since N64. I was never denying that, it's why we rarely see Nintendo explore new IP, and utterly disregard 3rd party support. (hell, they hardly market their 2nd party these days).

But I feel you underestimate how many man hours go into making ONE character. Something that's been stated by Sakurai again and again. And again, you gotta take the balancing aspect into account. One new character means rebalancing the whole roster to adequate it. It happens in the metagame for pretty much any competitive game where new content can be introduced (see TGCs).

Despite the profit. I would honestly be surprised if we get more than 6 total DLC characters. Other gaming studios and producer are businesses too, and at best they end up adding 5-6 new characters through DLC or future expansions sets. See Blazblue, Street Fighter, Mortal Kombat, MvC3 etc...

Yes, Nintendo does a great job with their DLC, but sometimes you gotta take into account the amount of time and effort going into it.

Personally, I was more surprised by the ridiculously cheap price it costs to dl Mewtwo. Sony and Capcom should take notes.

project m is a fan game, the devs have less experience than the real thing, I don't know why you call people delusional for saying 5-8 newcomers is delusional, sakurai said that there would only be mewtwo but he didn't want pacman or villager he said melee and brawl were the last games.
I do it make a joke and piss people off, because the angst and anger from overly emotional fanboys fuels my artistic prowess. :p

Plus, I love a good laugh, amid all this SRSDISCUSHUN about Nintendo games and videogame economics.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom