• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

I remember piles of people stating that it would be "ridiculous" for an animal crossing character to be in the game. There was genuine opposition from what I remember. That doesn't mean anything though, nor did Sakurai stating that it wasn't viable. As you said, he changed his mind. Ridley is one of the most wanted characters, the point isn't who "doesn't want them in", it's who wants them in.

Whether or not he's suitable is a different discussion is a different matter all together, right now it's a new start for characters and everyone is fair game, particularly characters not currently in the game (like the actual Ridley). The thread discussing him should at the very least be open to discussion at this point.
Dude...

Do whatever you want then. But manage your expectations and don't feel disappointed if he doesn't show. Likewise, don't expect people to agree with you either.

One thing I will tell you, if there's one thing the Ridley fanbase managed to do is tire people out of the idea of Ridley being in. Too much discussion and controversy eventually burned everyone out, and it just became annoying at one point. People who once were indifferent or in favor or Ridley quickly turned around and said "no" or "**** it" because they were just so worn out.

As for me. I already cast my votes, and I'm sticking to them. I accept the fact that there's a chance Snake might not come back. But I can settle for Wonder Red and Inkling. I anything, the latter will certainly show up for Smash 5 next gen. I'm just happy we get new and exciting characters most of all.

So be grateful for what you have and shut the **** up. I'm tired of discussing Ridley on every forum I go to.

ShinyRegice

Smash Lord
I was viewing Mewtwo's page on the official Smash website and I saw this:

Notice the squares with Pac-Man, Miis, question mark (for secret characters) and Mewtwo? It looks like there's room for five more characters. While it may mean nothing, I think it means that there are five more characters to add before DLC support for SSB4 ends. The next one is obviously going to be Lucas as he's already confirmed, then unless they want to stop before all those slots are filled or on the contrary to go further there are four more characters to add. Also, considering there are two months between Mewtwo and Lucas, we can reasonably assume that there will be two months between each DLC character, which would mean the third one in August, the fourth in October, the fifth in December, and the final one in February 2016, unless maybe if they plan to release two characters in the same month. Those dates would make sense considering the date when the official ballot is no longer supported.

So, what do you think about that?

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
The Ridley thread was locked because he was deconfirmed. He's a stage hazard, so his chances of being playable in this game are second to none.

There's a Ridley group though.
To clarify on this, the subject remains similar to the cases for other characters with roles that would seemingly hamper the chances of them ever being playable, comparable to all the Assist Trophies and Chrom/regular Toad for already being part of other characters' movesets.

Until tangible evidence comes to light supporting either that "disconfirmed" characters like the above still have a shot at being reconsidered/deemed possible, or something like Sakurai himself acknowledging that hazard/clone Other M Ridley is different from original Ridley/what people actually want playable, then the situation hasn't changed at all since the initial locking/jurisdiction of said threads. Not to say anyone of us is discrediting the possibility remaining, however improbable that seems at this point.

As stated by numerous other members, the Social group still remains the best place to take continued support and discussion, if only to otherwise avoid comments/arguments like these.

So be grateful for what you have and shut the **** up. I'm tired of discussing Ridley on every forum I go to.
Then don't discuss it or go to said forums. No one is forcing you to participate.

PeterJude

Smash Ace
Dude...

Do whatever you want then. But manage your expectations and don't feel disappointed if he doesn't show. Likewise, don't expect people to agree with you either.

One thing I will tell you, if there's one thing the Ridley fanbase managed to do is tire people out of the idea of Ridley being in. Too much discussion and controversy eventually burned everyone out, and it just became annoying at one point. People who once were indifferent or in favor or Ridley quickly turned around and said "no" or "**** it" because they were just so worn out.

As for me. I already cast my votes, and I'm sticking to them. I accept the fact that there's a chance Snake might not come back. But I can settle for Wonder Red and Inkling. I anything, the latter will certainly show up for Smash 5 next gen. I'm just happy we get new and exciting characters most of all.

I don't think he will. If you read my posts you'll carefully not that my main and only concern here is to the lack of an open Ridley thread for discussion here on the matter, not to whether or not he actually ends up in the game as DLC.

I honestly don't get what you're wound up about. You'd think I were talking about your mother with the tone of your response, rather than the state of a thread about an incredibly popular character.

To clarify on this, the subject remains similar to the cases for other characters with roles that would seemingly hamper the chances of them ever being playable, comparable to all the Assist Trophies and Chrom/regular Toad for already being part of other characters' movesets.

Until tangible evidence comes to light supporting either that "disconfirmed" characters like the above still have a shot at being reconsidered/deemed possible, or something like Sakurai himself acknowledging that hazard/clone Other M Ridley is different from original Ridley/what people actually want playable, then the situation hasn't changed at all since the initial locking/jurisdiction of said threads. Not to say anyone of us is discrediting the possibility remaining, however improbable that seems at this point.

As stated by numerous other members, the Social group still remains the best place to take continued support and discussion, if only to otherwise avoid comments/arguments like these.

Then don't discuss it or go to said forums. No one is forcing you to participate.
Isn't that the opposite of good logic though? We're in a position with no precedents, no evidence to work on in the matter, and yet the fall back point is to a very presumptive position on here? Why is that?

If I see a glass bottle with clear liquid in it, my fall back position isn't to go "Vodka until proven otherwise". It's "unknown liquid".

The "but they already have a purpose in the game" argument was broken before release as well, with Toon Link being both a stage element and a playable character.

All this said, the Ridley being requested isn't even the same character that's already in the game. Surely the thread should be open for discussion at this point.

Last edited:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...

Notice the squares with Pac-Man, Miis, question mark (for secret characters) and Mewtwo? It looks like there's room for five more characters. While it may mean nothing, I think it means that there are five more characters to add before DLC support for SSB4 ends. The next one is obviously going to be Lucas as he's already confirmed, then unless they want to stop before all those slots are filled or on the contrary to go further there are four more characters to add. Also, considering there are two months between Mewtwo and Lucas, we can reasonably assume that there will be two months between each DLC character, which would mean the third one in August, the fourth in October, the fifth in December, and the final one in February 2016, unless maybe if they plan to release two characters in the same month. Those dates would make sense considering the date when the official ballot is no longer supported.

I'm pretty sure that speculation has been done to death and agreed upon that it means nothing. If I recall correctly, you can see different number of squares if you view the page on other devices such a Smart Phone.

Last edited:

random rendum

Smash Journeyman

maybe there's still a page left
meaning 14 more including lucas. I really think that smash will get a lot of dlc so it will probably be about 10 characters

ChaosSoul

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ChaosSoul
3DS FC
2148-8364-1572
Yeah, I really didn't follow all that drama. What exactly happened?
long story short a power strugle between the higher ups and kojima productions led to kojima being fired after mgsv is relased and they have removed his name from any of the projects he was working on though still no word on silent hills many asume its been canceld and kojima productions has been disbanded

The_Naraotor

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-1669-2956-1774
Did you think we can vote character like Rayman / Bomberman or Snake I mean third party character will be not take in concideration the ballot vote I think ?

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
Eh, I've always thought the idea of playing as a creepy purple dragon was pretty neat even though I wouldn't care all that much if he didn't make it in. Ridley just seems like a character that has a high enough status to be playable.

What I think of him hasn't changed just because some random people on the internet were annoying. People are always annoying about something on the internet. If I let irrational annoying people control my opinions they'd be all over the place and constantly changing at the drop of a hat.

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
It's pretty obvious that those who are NPC like Ridley or AT aren't gonna be in this.

Let's see how many Ridley fans get their hopes up again :troll:

It's pretty obvious that those who are NPC like Ridley or AT aren't gonna be in this.

Far far too many. Although a lot of fan bases seem to be even if they have no chance.
I rather see the very unlikely characters happen as DLC at this point, which "impossible" character did you guys vote for?
I prefer all stars than nobodies. I only voted for viridi as pity.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I voted for Ridley being extremely aware that he's pretty much impossible for this installment, but still, like Bkupa said, it'll show that people don't like the dumb boss that helps. "Small wings would break canon, so I changed his personality and none of the 2d games are canon to me"

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
I already accepted that Ridley isn't playable once we saw his fate confirmed. I don't mind seeing someone like Dixie, K Rool, and Isaac who are deserving newcomers while we get Ice Climbers, Wolf and Roy back

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I already accepted that Ridley isn't playable once we saw his fate confirmed. I don't mind seeing someone like Dixie, K Rool, and Isaac who are deserving newcomers while we get Ice Climbers, Wolf and Roy back
IC had tech issues so that's a nono
EDIT: Bluepikmin, he literally made the wing stuff up

Last edited:

PeterJude

Smash Ace

It's pretty obvious that Toon Link's been cut, he's right there as part of the Spirit Tracks level.

This is the thing, we can't rule anything out, particularly when you could easily have Ridley and Roidley in the game (they aren't even the same character). Whether or not people think it's "likely" really isn't the issue, there are plenty of characters being discussed that have near zero chance of being in, there are characters in the game that Sakurai directly stated weren't viable for Smash, there are characters in the game that have been "deconfirmed". At the very least there should be an open Ridley thread during this time, as there is going to be discussion about it somewhere, why block it here?

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
How many characters do you think Sakurai will incorporate for DLC? I was thinking like 5-10 might make it in (including the Ice Climbers who Sakurai already made but can't release due to 3DS limitations).

dezeray112

Smash Hero
I've already submitted my vote.

Anyways, I wonder how many DLC characters Smash will have as I am sort of expecting a mixture of cut veterans and newcomers within.

ZeldaFan01

Cassie Shore/Shelby Goodkind (Netflix)
NNID
?
Do you think there's any point in voting for assist trophy characters like Dillon or Waluigi?

I guess it'll make them know they're wanted for the sequel, but surely they're out of luck this Smash?
It doenst really matter if theres a point because people are gonna be voting for Shadow like crazy! I'm just doing it because Saki is my favorite video-game character. If anything, it does let them know we want to play as a current AT. I have high hopes for DLC that turns AT into playable characters in this game, and if there isn't, oh well. Maybe we'll see them in SSB5. Theres a reason that they're ATs in the first place but theres been a mistake with some of them imo. (Saki, Lyn, Takamaru, Waluigi, Kat & Ana......)

Idk how Isaac would play. I know how he COULD play, but that's something different. Snake on the other hand. I know how he DID play, and he was my main. I'd like for him to be back so I can make more people cry in FG mode.
It doesn't matter how he could play, as long as he's in the game as playable. I think they removed his AT because they knew people would ask for him in something like this, and maybe even Ray MK III for that matter. Isaac's absence is getting old. he would "Move" the competition!

random rendum

Smash Journeyman
anyone else think the ballot will be a broken mess? with requests like goku and shrek wanted characters will be buried under garbage

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Sakurai will probably ignore requests for Goku and Shrek seeing as he's very adamant on not letting non-video game based characters in the game.

G0LD3N L0TUS

Smash Lord
NNID
G0LD3N_L0TUS
3DS FC
3007-8158-6601
I still wonder how much the poll will actually affect the roster. Like, I think a few more DLC choices are already planned, and some of the middle-ground poll results that Sakurai likes will be chosen. I wonder how clones will be handled, though. Those are obviously much easier.

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
Anyone feel that the ballot should be linked to your Nintendo ID?

Anyway, it's nice to see something like this come up.
I don't think we need to say much more than that.
No, we need Shrek. Miiverse needs Shrek. Smash needs Shrek.

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
IC had tech issues so that's a nono
EDIT: Bluepikmin, he literally made the wing stuff up
Actually they COULD make Ice Climbers, but it would most likely be Wii U exclusive. They may have to go as far as cutting Nana for the sake of having an Ice Climber in the game...maybe have half of Popo's colors be Nana's

ZeldaFan01

NNID
?
Actually they COULD make Ice Climbers, but it would most likely be Wii U exclusive. They may have to go as far as cutting Nana for the sake of having an Ice Climber in the game...maybe have half of Popo's colors be Nana's
There can't be Wii U exclusive, 3DS and wii U get the same characters. If Ice Climbers goes on wii U they HAVE to come on 3DS. Am I missing something?

D

Deleted member

It doesn't matter how he could play, as long as he's in the game as playable. I think they removed his AT because they knew people would ask for him in something like this, and maybe even Ray MK III for that matter. Isaac's absence is getting old. he would "Move" the competition!
*shrugs*

Geomancy and Alchemy are cool I guess.

Not denying that a character with Geokinesis and Terraforming wouldn't be awesome. It's just, I already see him coming to PM and I'd rather have "muh solid snacks"

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
You know, it's not like Sakurai has never fallen back on an opinion before.

Heck this is the same guy who's arm was falling off and now he's going to be making who knows what amount of dlc content for Smash 4. The guy seems rather contrary.
"We currently have no plans for paid DLC... oh by the way, here's Lucas, who is far enough along in development for us to show off. We totally haven't been working on him this entire time or anything."

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
There can't be Wii U exclusive, 3DS and wii U get the same characters. If Ice Climbers goes on wii U they HAVE to come on 3DS. Am I missing something?
Key word: COULD. C-O-U-L-D

They COULD appear Wii U exclusive, but it wouldn't make sense market wise. If they can't get them to work on the 3DS, It's possible they may have to come up with something unique for single Ice Climber and bring the duo back the following game.

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584

They COULD appear Wii U exclusive, but it wouldn't make sense market wise. If they can't get them to work on the 3DS, It's possible they may have to come up with something unique for single Ice Climber and bring the duo back the following game.
There's also the possibility of "new" 3DS exclusivity, alongside Wii U. Yeah, it'll suck, but it's the next best thing.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Maybe they'll keep up the Melee veteran coupled with a Brawl veteran flow with reveals. Anyway, am still thinking Sakurai will make the Ice Climbers work again, and reveal both them and Wolf next time. I also expect far more Mii DLC than anything... And the only clone from Melee I think is likely now is Roy. Am also expecting a lot of Fire Emblem characters to appear as Mii Swordfighters.

L9999

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3780-9480-2428
I think Sakurai is going to do a Roy skin for the miis for trolling people. He already did Megaman X and Protoman for the MM fans who wouldn't shut up, so what is stopping him for trolling Roy fans after Lucina? And I would love FE skins for the Miis. As long it's old school FE (Genealogy of War and Sacred Stones to be precise) and not Awakening garbage.

ultimatekoopa

Smash Ace
I voted for Ridley because I feel like it, I don't see how Ridley fans are in denial for saying that they want him, it's not like there is anything to lose at this point

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
I think Sakurai is going to do a Roy skin for the miis for trolling people. He already did Megaman X and Protoman for the MM fans who wouldn't shut up, so what is stopping him for trolling Roy fans after Lucina? And I would love FE skins for the Miis. As long it's old school FE (Genealogy of War and Sacred Stones to be precise) and not Awakening garbage.
You know what? Throw in a new set of specials for the Mii Sword Fighter, two of which are Roy's old neutral and side specials, and I wouldn't even be mad.

Last edited:

ZeldaFan01

NNID
?

Would you be happy if this time Popo fights alone, but his sister Nana can be selected as an alternate? Cant say if I would be happy or not but it better than not having them at all!
Maybe they'll keep up the Melee veteran coupled with a Brawl veteran flow with reveals. Anyway, am still thinking Sakurai will make the Ice Climbers work again, and reveal both them and Wolf next time. I also expect far more Mii DLC than anything... And the only clone from Melee I think is likely now is Roy. Am also expecting a lot of Fire Emblem characters to appear as Mii Swordfighters.
I don't know if it'd be a good idea to have another Marth clone but, I still really want him back. He's been absent from smash far too long

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
Lol at people elsewhere on the internet thinking 4 dollars for a new character is too much money. They obviously have not been around a lot of fighting game DLC.

Burruni

Smash Hero
After Lucas, I think our range of DLC characters is 1-3 more.

First, let's look at our lost Veterans.
:wolf: I feel is almost a lock-in at this point because he and Lucas were always in the same tier of how much they were clones, came out in the same game, had/have comparable popularity and have a number of their specials delegated to customs of the others from their series.

:younglinkmelee::pichumelee: are all-but pointless for the roster. The only means by which :younglinkmelee: was argued to not be redundant with:4tlink: was a transforming character using MM's other species, which was effectively killed by the April Direct and only received a small resurgence with the MM DLC for Hyrule Warriors. :pichumelee:... was a joke. Word of God Sakurai said this himself and I just can't see the time and effort being put in for DLC.

:roymelee:: :4myfriends: Took the heavier hits and flames :4lucina:Took the spot of a Marth Clone :4roy:Took the name. Rest In Peace.

:snake:: With Kojima and Konami having their turbulence as of late and the kind of unsaid rule that with all the deals and contracts that would be factors in a 3rd Party characters, I don't see any 3rd Party DLCs and Snake just... is too up in the air at his own company.

:squirtle:/:ivysaur:: Honestly, even if it is my favorite tarter, :squirtle: I believe doesn't have a standing anymore. I can't give PARTICULAR reasons why but I feel like Sakurai chose :4charizard:to "replace" :pt:because he was the most popular of the three in the home eries and Smash. All :ivysaur: REALLY has as a hope is the grass typing but I doubt that Pokemon is getting any 2nd DLC character.

:popo::icsmelee:: I miss these two so friggin' much. But with Sakurai adamant about equal roters, unless they get some manipulation to function on NORMAL 3DS like :rosalina:and:4olimar: were, I am just waiting for a return in Sma5h.

Then... with newcomer, it's such a wild shot.

For Mario, there's enough flack about them dominating the roster and the only character I could feasibly see, with how much Nintendo's been boosting him up, is Captain Toad... if they somehow make a moveset which revolves around his inability to directly jump.

Zelda, I'd say WizPig Ganon is the only way the series is going to expand until we get a reocurring and major character who ets enough fan support. Impa's hopes rode on Sheik being cut initially and then off her Hyrule Warriors design which has basically died with the lifespan of the game. Tetra/Toon Zelda is a bit of a far stretch but it would "balance" the Toon amount of Zelda representation.

Kirby, it's Bandanna Dee or bust (personal hope, and I won't bother going over likeliness).

Pokemon... I just don't see a 2nd DLC fighter.

Star Fox is likely getting Wolf and I don't see them getting another DLC character.

Metroid and Kid Icarus would have done more with character potential of Ridley and Dark Pit if they wanted a proper newcomer.

Fire Emblem... I feel just won't be expanded on until the next game, where the Protagonist of FE14, 15, or 16 will be a newcomer.

F-Zero, Xenoblade, Pikmin, Earthbound, Wii Fit, Punch-Out!! and Animal Crossing have their ground covered and I don't see a newcomer coming from them.

Retro.... is just plain unpredictable, with Sakurai at the helm.

For "New Series," Isaac is in high demand and may be on the way, but I believe Inklings will be upcoming with just how popular Splatoon has gotten with how little people have truly gotten ahold of it. You really only hear of people getting more and more infatuated with the series, and the game is clearly being boosted by Nintendo with special Amiibos and being displayed as much as Sm4sh at E3.

3rd Party... I just think it's not viable on the way that they have to work, contractually. Going through the legal work and payment for a character that is "just" DLC doesn't seem like something many companies would consider.

L9999

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3780-9480-2428
Veterans:
:wolf:: Wolf fanbase is as big as :4lucas:. It would help promote SFU more.
:popo:: Bigger fanbase than :wolf:, but might take more time for making them work on 3DS.
:pichumelee:: 7.8 Too much PkMn. There are also better joke characters than Pichu. Not coming back.
:roymelee: 7.8 Too much FE. Go play P:M.
:younglinkmelee: Unless they pull out a Hyrule Warriors, too much Link is too much Link.
:squirtle::ivysaur: Too much PkMn. They sucked, not coming back.
:snake: Konami is a mess. Not coming back.

Newcomers: I think of Isaac and K Rool. They were the top 4 of the requests, which of them:4mewtwo:got in, and Ridley is a stage boss. Isaac and Rool will dominate the poll with no doubt. Of retro, I can't take a guess since Sakurai already killed Takamaru.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
If we have 10+ DLC characters, then I think we will get Roy, Squirtle, Ivysaur, and maybe even Pichu. If DLC stays at a more manageable number, though, I think Wolf and maybe Ice Climbers (if they can get them to work) are it for vets.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom