• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Burruni

Smash Hero
Voted for Bandana Dee because he's the most likely newcomer of my desired choices at this point.

I called Mega Mewtwo Y being the final smash because Mega Charizard X and MMY being the form that got a movie.
A little surprised that none of his specials were changed.
Lucas was a bit of a surprise but a pleasant one.

Also, a good friend of mine texted during the direct while I was having my dinner "Oh dear god, Ridley confirmed!"
"Yeah, right. I know what day it is. Any REAL news?"
If they actually had a proper pun/tag-line for a reveal, I MAY have pondered it being real and being doubtful until I checked my normal news sources.

PS: Smug Shaq avatar made this post all the better.

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I hate to say it, because I get where it comes from and I'd definitely enjoy his inclusion, but if people are still in such denial about Ridley's fate in Smash they think voting for him is going to do anything, I can see why his support is regarded nowadays as a joke.

C'mon guys... if Sakurai said Isaac flat out wasn't going to work in Smash I'd be bummed sure, but I'd shift my vocal support and my vote elsewhere...

People, please just vote for characters with a good amount of popularity. They're obviously just going to go for some of the most requested characters, and characters like

Don't have a chance in hell of getting that many votes, no matter how many times you and your friends vote for them.
Ees true.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Yeah the place where we discuss characters is no place for debating characters.

DDCWGD

Smash Rookie
I hate to say it, because I get where it comes from and I'd definitely enjoy his inclusion, but if people are still in such denial about Ridley's fate in Smash they think voting for him is going to do anything, I can see why his support is regarded nowadays as a joke.

C'mon guys... if Sakurai said Isaac flat out wasn't going to work in Smash I'd be bummed sure, but I'd shift my vocal support and my vote elsewhere...
That line of thinking would basically nullify almost every character people are voting for. It's a self-fulfilling prophecy. People say "I'm certain this character can't be in, so I won't even bother trying," and then they never get in. As far as I know, no one has been explicitly ruled out, so anyone should be treated as fair game.

We were certain Toon Link was gone, then we were certain Mewtwo was gone. Don't be so certain about anything in Smash.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Im going to make sure if you can do mutiple (after 1 character you can do another.)

But a got to warn you guys

I can smell ridley fans coming back for revenge with this ballot thing.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
That line of thinking would basically nullify almost every character people are voting for. It's a self-fulfilling prophecy. People say "I'm certain this character can't be in, so I won't even bother trying," and then they never get in. As far as I know, no one has been explicitly ruled out, so anyone should be treated as fair game.

We were certain Toon Link was gone, then we were certain Mewtwo was gone. Don't be so certain about anything in Smash.
That's absolutely untrue, considering Ridley is one out of only a handful of characters Sakurai has bothered sharing the reason why they aren't playable, and that reason isn't going to change with people voting for him.

That's the problem; people are ignoring what Sakurai said about him, or thinking more of the same demand he's had for a decade will change things. I advocated to not dismiss Ridley for a long time, but there comes a point, where two titles pass and he doesn't get in even though he more than deserves to, where the creator himself outlines that the problem is the character itself, that you just have to let it go.

Sending in a ballot saying you want Ridley isn't going to change Ridley, and Ridley being Ridley is the reason we haven't gotten Ridley. There's your self-fulfilling prophecy.

Were probably going to get more bratty anyway (10x more I bet), and I'll just enjoy the fun that happens here.
Makes sense, considering I am a brat. :awesome:

Last edited:

CatRaccoonBL

You can do it!
NNID
RaccoonBL
3DS FC
2294-4606-0767
This pretty much confirms future character DLC.

The question now is now "when?", but rather, "who?"

oni's right, this is something that people ought to think long and hard about. For the first time in the history of Smash, Sakurai is letting us offer our feedback directly, and that's going to make a huge difference.

I'm going to wait a while before I cast my vote. I want to make sure I know exactly what I'm doing before jumping straight in.
I decided on my character a long time ago. That character of course being Bandana Dee. He is just too important for me.

He is from one of my favorite video game series.
He is my favorite character from that series.
He offers a play style I would enjoy.

And one of the most important reasons, I wouldn't have my best friend if it wasn't for him.

So I want to see him in smash the most. Inkling might be the overall better choice some might think, but all in all, I have too much of a personal connection with Bandana Dee to just drop him here, when I might have my only chance here.

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
$10 says Nintendo and Sakurai already have their list of characters for DLC. This poll is probably just to help Sakurai decide which to choose. If I had to bet... Wolf, Ice Climber(s), Chorus Men, Inkling, Captain Toad and Wonder Red are in the mix.

Still voted for Bandana Dee regardless. Never know. :p

Last edited:

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
While I get the idea that "amount of requests" are the only things that matter now to some people, I don't think that means Sakurai has changed his criteria. Roy could finish top 3, but that doesn't necessarily mean he's a lock.

I voted Snake

CatRaccoonBL

You can do it!
NNID
RaccoonBL
3DS FC
2294-4606-0767
$10 says Nintendo and Sakurai already have their list of characters for DLC. This poll is probably just to help Sakurai decide which to choose. If I had to bet... Wolf, Ice Climber(s), Chorus Men and Wonder Red.
I do agree there is potential for this...but Chrous men not being one of them...I mean, I believe the leak no doubt...but I don't expect Sakurai to seriously think Chrous men would get a lot of votes. Even if I do want them.

RoseyBetch

Smash Journeyman
That's absolutely untrue, considering Ridley is one out of only a handful of characters Sakurai has bothered sharing the reason why they aren't playable, and that reason isn't going to change with people voting for him.

That's the problem; people are ignoring what Sakurai said about him, or thinking more of the same demand he's had for a decade will change things. I advocated to not dismiss Ridley for a long time, but there comes a point, where two titles pass and he doesn't get in even though he more than deserves to, where the creator himself outlines that the problem is the character itself, that you just have to let it go.

Sending in a ballot saying you want Ridley isn't going to change Ridley, and Ridley being Ridley is the reason we haven't gotten Ridley. There's your self-fulfilling prophecy.

I voted for Ridley because I wanted him in. That's what the ballot is for, is it not? To voice which character you want in? The example set by Nintendo was Cat Mario. Even if it's not likely, I voiced my opinion on my most hopeful newcomer.

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
I do agree there is potential for this...but Chrous men not being one of them...I mean, I believe the leak no doubt...but I don't expect Sakurai to seriously think Chrous men would get a lot of votes. Even if I do want them.
A lot of people have already voted for him. You'd probably be surprised. I certainly know I want to see them now.

Plus a Rhythm Heaven game will be coming out for the 3DS soon.

Last edited:

CatRaccoonBL

You can do it!
NNID
RaccoonBL
3DS FC
2294-4606-0767
A lot of people have already voted for him. You'd probably be surprised. I certainly know I want to see them now.

Plus a Rhythm Heaven game will be coming out for the 3DS soon.
Well, certainly due to the leak. But is Sakurai even factoring the leak? Thats the question.

I could see Sakurai factoring the amount of support a "Rhythm heaven" character gets. And if there are enough Rhythm heaven characters votes combined, he would include chrous men.

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
While I get the idea that "amount of requests" are the only things that matter now to some people, I don't think that means Sakurai has changed his criteria. Roy could finish top 3, but that doesn't necessarily mean he's a lock.

I voted Snake
I think K. Rool will definitely be in top 5. Don't know Sakurai's criteria though so he may not even appear.

Me too

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Well, certainly due to the leak. But is Sakurai even factoring the leak? Thats the question.

I could see Sakurai factoring the amount of support a "Rhythm heaven" character gets. And if there are enough Rhythm heaven characters votes combined, he would include chrous men.
Doesn't really matter. People are voting for them, and there's enough evidence lingering in the game that they were considered at some point.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
oh one more thing

for ridley

the fans are going to attempt to show evidence to sakurai with ridley as one of there votes that hes wrong about ridley back in that interview.

---

大空のぶっとび
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Wolf, Snake, Chorus Men, and K. Rool are probably the only characters that have my votes. Inkling I'm borderline on.

I don't see the point in voting for characters who already have major roles or obvious development issues. I'm a bore I know. "shrugs"

DDCWGD

Smash Rookie

You do realize he's the same guy who de-confirmed Miis and Villager right? For being what they were, which was too peaceful. I sincerely doubt any decision Sakurai makes is set in stone.

Burruni

Smash Hero
You do realize he's the same guy who de-confirmed Miis and Villager right? For being what they were, which was too peaceful. I sincerely doubt any decision Sakurai makes is set in stone.
Nothing is set in stone with Sakurai. We can all agree on this. We may even be able to thank Fire Emblem ever going international because of him going back on the idea of not including :marthmelee:and:roymelee: for international versions of Melee.

But there's one significant detail to what Sakurai said about Ridley. It's INCREDIBLY RECENT. That interview took place since the WiiU version of Sm4sh went world wide.

We can argue the same points we had for Ridley not to be included that we had before the April Direct and add in all the factors of him being a boss in the game (as much as people argued this from April to October). The simple fact is this poll/vote thing is not going to change these factors of Ridley or the strong stance that Sakurai has about him that very likely has not wavered since that interview took place. Sakurai clearly knew of Ridley's popularity before this game, before Brawl, and probably before Melee. This poll isn't going to deliver a revelation.

Deathlightning21

Smash Lord
NNID
Deathlightning21
3DS FC
1779-0225-2026
Nothing is set in stone with Sakurai. We can all agree on this. We may even be able to thank Fire Emblem ever going international because of him going back on the idea of not including :marthmelee:and:roymelee: for international versions of Melee.

But there's one significant detail to what Sakurai said about Ridley. It's INCREDIBLY RECENT. That interview took place since the WiiU version of Sm4sh went world wide.

We can argue the same points we had for Ridley not to be included that we had before the April Direct and add in all the factors of him being a boss in the game (as much as people argued this from April to October). The simple fact is this poll/vote thing is not going to change these factors of Ridley or the strong stance that Sakurai has about him that very likely has not wavered since that interview took place. Sakurai clearly knew of Ridley's popularity before this game, before Brawl, and probably before Melee. This poll isn't going to deliver a revelation.
I think the pool is mostly just used to see what characters Sakurai might want to consider, not a popularity contest.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Personally, I don't see much of a problem with Ridley voting.

I mean, it's almost certainly not going to happen this game, but if you want to use one or more of your votes to send a message that "I'm not happy with Punching Bag Boss Ridley and want to see his role reconsidered in the future," it's a free Internet (at least until Obama gets his hands on it!!!).

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
$10 says Nintendo and Sakurai already have their list of characters for DLC. This poll is probably just to help Sakurai decide which to choose. If I had to bet... Wolf, Ice Climber(s), Chorus Men, Inkling, Captain Toad and Wonder Red are in the mix.

Still voted for Bandana Dee regardless. Never know. :p
I am scared that Nintendo already wants to add Cat Mario because in the Nintendo Direct when they were showing an example of the fighter ballot, Cat Mario was on the entry... not to mention the cat hats and cat suits for the Mii Fighters.

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
Personally, I don't see much of a problem with Ridley voting.

I mean, it's almost certainly not going to happen this game, but if you want to use one or more of your votes to send a message that "I'm not happy with Punching Bag Boss Ridley and want to see his role reconsidered in the future," it's a free Internet (at least until Obama gets his hands on it!!!).
I was kinda thinking the same.

He's mostly likely not going to be in this game, but is it possible the poll results may be used in future Smash games? Perhaps they'll conduct a more up-to-date poll instead, however. It's also possible we may see a new director, though I guess I'm getting ahead of myself there.

Either way, I'm sure Ridley's always going to be a popular character.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Why do I have a bad feeling that the crap loads of Daisy fans that were salty over Rosalina's inclusion would spam the hell out of that poll? :troll:

PeterJude

Smash Ace

Except, if we're following that logic we wouldn't have characters like Villager in the game, as Sakurai had previously said "he didn't know how to get him to work" (or words to that effect) in the past as well. The point of this isn't "vote for who's viable", it's "vote for who you want", and people do want Ridley. They've made other characters who "couldn't work" work in the past, so we'll see what happens.

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
I am scared that Nintendo already wants to add Cat Mario because in the Nintendo Direct when they were showing an example of the fighter ballot, Cat Mario was on the entry... not to mention the cat hats and cat suits for the Mii Fighters.
Nah. I don't really think Sakurai would do something like that. It works for games like Mario Kart, but Super Smash Bros is a whole different story.

Ivander

Smash Legend
Wasn't that one used as an example that they are aware of troll choices and such? I could've swore Iwata mentioned something like that when he showed the Cat Mario thing.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I highly doubt we will get many DLC characters after Mewtwo and Lucas...maybe two top-requested characters... and save the other top-requested characters for SSB5 and SSB6... kinda like the pre-Melee poll and the pre-Brawl poll. I guess it makes sense since they probably ran out of most popular characters to add from the Melee/Brawl polls and they need our help determine which characters are worth the effort adding in the next two Smash games.

Nah. I don't really think Sakurai would do something like that. It works for games like Mario Kart, but Super Smash Bros is a whole different story.
I hope Sakurai doesn't do it... and I certainly hope Nintendo doesn't encourage Sakurai to add Cat Mario or Cat Peach. :scared:

RoseyBetch

Smash Journeyman
Ridley honestly has almost no chance this Smash. Not only can Sakurai not find a way to implement him, but he's also got a large role in the game as a boss.
I don't really want him to be in this Smash game. I voted Ridley so that they hopefully realize that people are stubborn and want him in Smash regardless, then decide to find a way to include him in the next Smash game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom