• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZeldaFan01

Cassie Shore/Shelby Goodkind (Netflix)
NNID
?
Konami has retweeted a few people who mentioned Snake for the Smash ballot, so they aren't against it.
That unfortunately doesn't change Nintendo's mind. IIRC Snake wasn't included to begin with because after Brawl, Konami didn't do anything for Smash after the fact that they made Snake playable. So in other words, Smash expected something in return but didn't get anything right?

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
Call me a skeptic, but this news doesn't really change my opinion. While Phil has stated he's open to it, there are still legal issues and loopholes that they'd have to go through to get the character as they're owned by another company, and that probably gets worse considering he's a First Party character to another company rather then a Third Party, so it'd probably be much more difficult to deal with then what's being let on by that tweet.

It really hurts me to say it as I'd love to see Banjo and Kazooie as a playable character, but I still can't push myself to think that they'll be able to overcome these issues and become playable in the game.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
That unfortunately doesn't change Nintendo's mind. IIRC Snake wasn't included to begin with because after Brawl, Konami didn't do anything for Smash after the fact that they made Snake playable. So in other words, Smash expected something in return but didn't get anything right?
There's absolutely no proof of that.

Besides, you missed the point entirely. Snake has a far better shot than Banjo.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Call me a skeptic, but this news doesn't really change my opinion. While Phil has stated he's open to it, there are still legal issues and loopholes that they'd have to go through to get the character as they're owned by another company, and that probably gets worse considering he's a First Party character to another company rather then a Third Party, so it'd probably be much more difficult to deal with then what's being let on by that tweet.

It really hurts me to say it as I'd love to see Banjo and Kazooie as a playable character, but I still can't push myself to think that they'll be able to overcome these issues and become playable in the game.
Well if anyone has sway over there at xbox it's Phil Spencer...

That said, Nintendo would still need to see overwhelming demand for B&K and be aware that M$ is apparently open to it before things would likely even become set in motion...

It'd be an uphill battle for sure. But at least it doesn't seem impossible. Which is more than could've been said previously.

D

Deleted member

I don't think I have it in me to run two campaigns. >_>
I don't have the time to run ONE campaign, maybe if this was two years ago... :p

I imagine Banjo and Conker would still be a fair amount more to use than the rest of the borrowed assets.

But I mean I'd still be guessing. All I know now is... Microsoft would be fine with Banjo in Smash. Apparently.

People need to report on this. THIS NEEDS TO BECOME KNOWN!!
I'll let it be known on 4chan, and I'll tell my sibs about it, that's at least two more votes, they'll defo vote the bear and bird, and who knows, perhaps my brother will take up the mantle in getting something going. I doubt it though considering how aloof he is.

I'll make a fb post and tag some friends too, but that's about as much as I can do.

Regardless, I'm sure there are dedicated fans out there that will get something going.

Hey, someone should tell Jontron and Brentalfloss, those dudes are famous and they could get it know, AND both are HUGE Banjo fans. Anyone got a twitter?

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I'd tell my rl people to vote for Banjo but I already told them all to vote for Isaac. :laugh:

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
The problem is most Nintendo fans have never played a MGS game.

Same goes for Shin Megami Tensei.

People yesterday were going on about how the crossover was more SMT than FE when in fact it had practically NO resemblance to SMT whatsoever. SMTxFE looks like weeaboo garbage cause it's pandering to weebs, SMT is quite honestly the OPPOSITE of weeb-****. *sigh* buncha casuals... >_>
Hey now, I am a Nintendo fanboy through and through and MGS1 and MGS3 are two of my favorite games of all time. Also SMTXFE was weird. Looked more like Persona than it did SMT or FE to me.

I meant to bring this up yesterday when we were talking about Castlevania. This is something I wrote concerning Lords of Shadow from the old (now locked) Simon Belmont thread.

"The sad thing about it was Symphony felt way more like a Castlevania spin off when it first came out. I say this as a huge fan of the game. Symphony is one of my top five favorite games of all time, but it didn't play like the previous games and it didn't star a Belmont. The other issue I have with the IGA games are just how pretty boy looking the character designs for the Belmonts are. I don't really have an issue with pretty boy protagonists (love me some Devil May Cry) but that's never what the Belmonts were about. It worked for Alucard and Soma, but Juste's design makes me throw up in my mouth a little bit. By the time OOE came out I was ready for a game that brought Castlevania back to it's roots. You know, a solid action platformer about the Belmont clan taking on the forces of evil.

Lords of Shadow.... wasn't TERRIBLE, it just wasn't Castlevania enough. They wanted so much to stay away from classic Castlevania designs that the game felt generic. I love the design for Gabriel (it's very much reminiscent of Simon's Castlevania 2 sprite) but the game would have been SO much better with some floating Medusa heads, some Merman, and a few remixed Casltevania tunes.

The Lords of Shadow games kind of remind me of the Michael Bay Transformers movies. Both start their first installment the same way (in my opinion.) They start with a new take on a franchise I love, they make a few questionable decisions, stray a little too far from the source material, and try too hard to appeal to the "bro" crowd. Ultimately, though, the universes they create are solid and have a chance to really be special in future installments. The first movie/game created a foundation that could have been used to reintroduce old concepts in fun yet familiar ways. Yet, instead of fixing the problems, they just kept emphasizing the aspects of the reboot I disliked. Over and over again."

ZeldaFan01

Cassie Shore/Shelby Goodkind (Netflix)
NNID
?
There's absolutely no proof of that.

Besides, you missed the point entirely. Snake has a far better shot than Banjo.
Oh, thank you for pointing that out, for some reason I thought that was the sole sole purpose of him not being in!
Now I'm actually excited for his return

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Considering Bowser Jr. almost missed the base game due to technical challenges, I could see someone like the Chorus Men rolling over into post-production.
Was it technical challenges with Jr.? I thought he was just a lower priority.

Depending on what, if any issues the Chorus Men face, they could just throw in Marshal, if they don't deem that to be neutering of their original mechanic.

D

Deleted member

I'd tell my rl people to vote for Banjo but I already told them all to vote for Isaac. :laugh:
I just told them all. At least the ones that might care.

Srs though, someone should tell brentalfloss and Jontron, that's literally how'd you'd make this work.

Also, the old Rareware devs who are working on that new game, them too. If this makes viral news, it's happening.

Who here has a twitter?

Last edited by a moderator:

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
The problem is most Nintendo fans have never played a MGS game.

Same goes for Shin Megami Tensei.

People yesterday were going on about how the crossover was more SMT than FE when in fact it had practically NO resemblance to SMT whatsoever. SMTxFE looks like weeaboo garbage cause it's pandering to weebs, SMT is quite honestly the OPPOSITE of weeb-****. *sigh* buncha casuals... >_>
I had trouble recognizing FE aspects when I first saw that trailer.

Ah, Yuyuki's Goku.
I remember when the idea of including him to troll the people who request DBZ's Goku was first brought up.
Good times, gooooood times......
I actually brought up the idea of him having a moveset similar to Billy Kane from King of Fighters.

Nintendo's Goku is the only valid Goku for this game.

D

Deleted member

Oh yeah, I found that image from yesterday btw.

Here's Japan's top picks:
1428069824520.png

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
Wolf
King K Rool
Isaac
Inkling
Banjo & Kazooie

If we got 5 dlc characters after Lucas I think this would be a pretty sweet lineup. It pains me to leave out Bayonetta but I just don't know if more than one 3rd party is at all likely. Now that Banjo & Kazooie are on the cards I could definitely see them being in with a huge chance.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
Okay, before everyone get's too crazy, I just want to say one thing.

Before the 3DS and Wii U launched, (and Konami decided to never make any ****ing non-mobile Bomberman games) Bomberman was the ONLY 3rd party character to have a game on EVERY Nintendo console and handheld.

#VoteBomberman

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I just told them all. At least the ones that might care.

Srs though, someone should tell brentalfloss and Jontron, that's literally how'd you'd make this work.

Also, the old Rareware devs who are working on that new game, them too. If this makes viral news, it's happening.

Who here has a twitter?
Now it's getting picked up by IGN and Gamespot and the like, somebody will probably send it their way. Hopefully.

D

Deleted member

Now it's getting picked up by IGN and Gamespot and the like, somebody will probably send it their way. Hopefully.
I was just gonna post the same. This tweet's ALL over the web:

http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/04...n-super-smash-bros-for-nintendo-3ds-and-wii-u
http://www.gamespot.com/articles/xbox-boss-thinks-banjo-as-a-super-smash-bros-dlc-c/1100-6426396/
http://mynintendonews.com/2015/04/0...ould-like-banjo-in-next-super-smash-bros-dlc/
http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...es_banjo_was_voted_in_as_super_smash_bros_dlc
http://www.reddit.com/r/smashbros/comments/31c1q3/phil_spencer_i_think_it_would_be_cool_if_banjo/

Even 4chan has like 6 threads actively discussing it. Jesus Christ it blew up, I hope Nintendo takes note of how big this became, because if so, it might just happen as well as B-K and B-T on VC, and perhaps even Project Ukulele on WiiU.

We might just see the rebirth of Rare even. Goddamn.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117

http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/04...n-super-smash-bros-for-nintendo-3ds-and-wii-u
http://www.gamespot.com/articles/xbox-boss-thinks-banjo-as-a-super-smash-bros-dlc-c/1100-6426396/
http://mynintendonews.com/2015/04/0...ould-like-banjo-in-next-super-smash-bros-dlc/
http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...es_banjo_was_voted_in_as_super_smash_bros_dlc
http://www.reddit.com/r/smashbros/comments/31c1q3/phil_spencer_i_think_it_would_be_cool_if_banjo/

Even 4chan has like 6 threads actively discussing it. Jesus Christ it blew up, I hope Nintendo takes note of how big this became, because if so, it might just happen as well as B-K and B-T on VC, and perhaps even Project Ukulele on WiiU.

The major YouTubers WILL pick this up. It's just part of how news spreads.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
Well if anyone has sway over there at xbox it's Phil Spencer...

That said, Nintendo would still need to see overwhelming demand for B&K and be aware that M$ is apparently open to it before things would likely even become set in motion...

It'd be an uphill battle for sure. But at least it doesn't seem impossible. Which is more than could've been said previously.
True, at least it's plausible now instead of impossible and that's more to work with then before, it's just that uphill battle that worries me as that easily can trip them up.

Deathlightning21

Smash Lord
NNID
Deathlightning21
3DS FC
1779-0225-2026

I think you might be blowing this a bit out of proportion....

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
Konami is behind Snake getting back into Smash.

Ubisoft is all for Rayman upgrading to playable.

M$ is just like "yeah, Banjo can show up."

Nintendo please.

D

Deleted member

The major YouTubers WILL pick this up. It's just part of how news spreads.
Oh yeah, that's a given fact. I can see Jontron pooping his pants over this. And it's just a matter of time before it goes full viral.

Everyone I shared this with has gone out to vote Banjo, and the fact that it's becoming news means that even more people will go vote Banjo. So in the end, I guess it's gonna be in Nintendo's hands.

Oh man, imagine a B-K amiibo:

Christ! Day one Preorder.

In all seriousness though, considering how quickly it made news just goes to show how popular this would be, and how well it would sell. Banjo might just wind up being the best selling DLC for Smash, or hell on any Nintendo platoform period, and it would MASSIVELY lucrative for both Nintendo AND Microsoft. Seriously, they better make this happen man...

Door is open, the cards are there, don't drop the ball Nintendo!!

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I just have to wonder, even though it will no doubt sell well, if Nintendo would be willing to include a character which is basically just going to promote their competition.

And yeah yeah, they had Snake. But at least he appears on Nintendo systems every once in a while.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
No, you just weren't around for the Golden days of Rare like some of us were. :p
You know what's funny? I'm on the opposite side of that. I was 16 when Banjo launched, and I never got into the franchise so I barely care about this news.

Funny how that works, lol.

D

Deleted member

I just have to wonder, even though it will no doubt sell well, if Nintendo would be willing to include a character which is basically just going to promote their competition.

And yeah yeah, they had Snake. But at least he appears on Nintendo systems every once in a while.
Well, Nintendo and Microsoft aren't exactly rivals as they target different markets within the industry generally, and their fanbases and available games don't exactly cross over. In fact, working together would turn out to be mutually beneficial tbh.

Microsoft and Sony now... THAT'S a different story.

However, devs and stuff usually tend to be in friendlier terms with one another, as we've seen with Kojima and Sakurai, and now Phil's tweet. It's just the idiot fans who **** their pants in their stupid "war" over a plastic box.

I mean, think about it realistically. Why wouldn't they exactly? Collaboration between these two companies would turn a profit for both. And the character in question is an icon in Nintendo's history. It really isn't out of the scope of possibility from a business standpoint. In fact, the two of them working on a bigger project together to play on our nostalgia and rake in cash could also realistically happen.

Really ask yourself... Why not?

Last edited by a moderator:

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
This ballot thing is nice

But i do want to note something on ridley

2 out 3 of the reasons why ridley failed again can be disproven by us.

1. the wings thing and fly freely thing, tell that to :4charizard: sakurai (not shruken wings) charizard could have flown freely if he want but kept him on ground combat, plus ridley does not always relie on air to ground attacks ridley does ground to ground attacks too.
(The most particual is omega ridley in metroid prime 3)

2. He thinks shrinking him will ruin his menecing looks, well pretty much 90% of smashboards doesn't see that (correct me on percentage.) me including serveral others still think ridley is menencing even shrunken.

Its that balance part is the part we will have teouble with.

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
Isaac is still my number one pick....but Banjo & Kazooie is definitely my second most wanted now.

It's crazy to think they might actually be possible.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
This ballot thing is nice

But i do want to note something on ridley

2 out 3 of the reasons why ridley failed again can be disproven by us.

1. the wings thing and fly freely thing, tell that to :4charizard: sakurai (not shruken wings) charizard could have flown freely if he want but kept him on ground combat, plus ridley does not always relie on air to ground attacks ridley does ground to ground attacks too.
(The most particual is omega ridley in metroid prime 3)

2. He thinks shrinking him will ruin his menecing looks, well pretty much 90% of smashboards doesn't see that (correct me on percentage.) me including serveral others still think ridley is menencing even shrunken.

Its that balance part is the part we will have teouble with.
Do what I did and throw a vote to "Classic Ridley" from "Metroid (NES)," worth a shot, right?

By the way, what do you think Nintendo would want in the Banjo negotiations? I feel like Rare games (Mostly N64, but also NES and SNES game, Battle Toads anyone?) on the Wii U Virtual Console help out everyone involved.

Last edited:

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Do what I did and throw a vote to "Classic Ridley" from "Metroid (NES)," worth a shot, right?

By the way, what do you think Nintendo would want in the Banjo negotiations? I feel like Rare games (Mostly N64, but also NES and SNES game, Battle Toads anyone?) on the Wii U Virtual Console help out everyone involved.
banjo kazooie eh.

I saw that the developers would think its cool.

and he's technically still 3rd partie due to the Nintendo 64 game.

it would be fantastic but I don't think its going to happen

Pizzanigs

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Pizzanigs
I think Wolf, King K. Rool, and Inkling are the most likely at this point. In my eyes Wolf is guaranteed, King K. Rool is winning this Fighter Ballot, and Inkling is going to be announced around the time of Splatoon's release.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
I just want the cut characters and King K... Please no inkling. I don't get why we are voting for a character whose game isn't even out yet, over characters that actually already have value to Nintendo.
well as for king k rool

for good news king k rool is the number 1 most wanted newcomer in japan.

so a ton of Japanese fans will vote for king k rool clearly.

but to scare you a little with the inkling

remember when we thought:4mewtwo: was not alone in development, which we are correct because of :4lucas:

I think another dlc character is being made while :4lucas: is under development

think about it lucas looks clearly more than 75% complete with all of those costumes and moves and taunts from the video

the only adjustments I see is sanding the palettes and possible the winner music/victory poses and the final smash.

(that's either a newcomer or wolf.)

Last edited:

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
I just want the cut characters and King K... Please no inkling. I don't get why we are voting for a character whose game isn't even out yet, over characters that actually already have value to Nintendo.
Well, Nintendo IS pushing the game hard, and the Inklings themselves do have a unique look and a ton of moveset potential. If the game does well I fully expect to see them in Smash 5 (if not sooner.)

D

Deleted member

BANJO
A
N
J
O

Also, Inkling would be cool. But I'd rather have muh bear n' bird. Nothing else matters nao.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom