• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

dezeray112

Smash Hero
Uhm... Jiggly was revealed in the 50 Fact Extravaganza. She's on the WiiU starting roster. Pretty sure she's on the official site as well.
I should've been a bit clearer on this part, I meant for Jigglypuff to be unveiled on the Smash website since even though she was shown during the the 50 fact extravaganza and as a starting roster and just like what @ Substitution Substitution stated, she is not unveiled on the official website as of yet.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
THIS.

Look at how wrong we were with the initial roster outcome. Of the highly expected additions (King K. Rool, Dixie Kong, Ridley, Mewtwo, Chrom, Takamaru, Palutena, Little Mac, Isaac, Shulk, Pac-Man), only four of them showed up on the initial roster. Three of these made up the most wanted Nintendo characters for this game, and Chrom was shoved into nearly everyone's face as the "OMG SHOE-IN AND ANYONE WHO BELIEVE OTHERWISE IS STUPID!" Looking at most of the character that did make it in, most were not expected additions. Pretty much no one saw Wii Fit Trainer and Greninja coming and Villager, Rosalina, Robin, Dark Pit, Dr. Mario, Lucina, and Duck Hunt Dog surprised the majority of the community (most people had also given up on Bowser Jr. when Rosalina was confirmed). The Smash community was split on Mega Man's chances (and people were losing faith in him) and I highly doubt most people expected three Mii's to be playable. This roster defied our expectations, for both good and bad, and it shows that no matter how much we try to outsmart Sakurai, we eventually end up looking stupid when we turn out to be wrong.

So before declaring that a characters is "definitely DLC" or "definitely not DLC", please realize that we made these same absolute predictions towards character that did or did not make it. This goes for everyone that participates in speculation.
I even made fun of the situation, joking about hypothetical scenarios where characters would be dismissed because of various reasons only for Sakurai to prove them wrong in the span of DLC speculation history.

The Light Music Club

Smash Master
NNID
_TLMC_
3DS FC
0576-6097-0725
The only characters I have any faith in are Ice Climbers and Wolf.

If I had to pick a newcomer, I think Isaac has the best shot.

I don't think Dixie will be playable, and that King K has a better chance. I really think Dixie would be with Dark Pit, Doc, and Lucina and the fact that she isn't makes me think we won't get her at all.

Last edited:

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
I seen tons of people here in Smashboards doing it the past few days, even though we don't have a basis on what makes a character likely for DLC. :rolleyes:
What do you mean? Us here at Smashboards.com make sure to give every character the same amount of probability to ensure that no one is left out. ...Provided we tolerate their existence.

GunGunW

Smash Lord
NNID
GunGunW
Palutena was a character that really didn't surprise me at all. When I saw her trailer, I was kind of annoyed because of how non surprising she was.

Last edited:

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
Palutena was a character that really didn't surprise me at all. When I saw her trailer, I was kind of annoyed because of how non surprising she was.
The E3 2014 character reveals were like this for me. They were just so painfully obvious. Only made worse by the fact I was only faintly interested in Palutena and didn't want the other two.

domokl

Smash Lord
I Remember how a lot of smashboards hated miis and pac man before they were revealed. I never really got why.

GunGunW

Smash Lord
NNID
GunGunW
The E3 2014 character reveals were like this for me. They were just so painfully obvious. Only made worse by the fact I was only faintly interested in Palutena and didn't want the other two.
I think the guy on IGN literally predicted all three newcomers revealed at E3 correctly.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
I Remember how a lot of smashboards hated miis and pac man before they were revealed. I never really got why.
Outside of the fear that Pac-Man would have used his Ghostly Adventures design, I never really understood the sheer hatred someone had for an epic icon like Pac-Man joing the battle.

I was actually pleasantly surprised that two of the reveals there that were "obvious" happened considering that, due to their huge icon status, they made perfect sense there. Granted, Pac-Man being revealed behind closed doors whilst Palutena got the spotlight along with the Miis did made me somewhat sour. Her trailer was also underwhelming.

Burruni

Smash Hero
:4palutena: was an easy guess since Day 1 considering the usage of Uprising in Pit's moveset [and sinked in once he was seen with a new final smash]
:4mii:/:4miif: were going to be in SOMEHOW, with how much they were being used in Streetpass, Nintendoland, Tomodachi Life, etc.
:4pacman: was basically the most likely third party character once Namco-Bandai were shown as working on the team.

That said, I'd like to see a "Mii Mage" fourth member of the archetype group in Sma5h or via DLC. I feel that category very lacking with the only characters that can be remotely grouped in it are :4ness:,:4palutena:,:4zelda:, and half-n-half with :4robinm:/:4robinf: since Lucas is gone.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Well, in the case of Miis, it was because I thought there was absolutely nothing they would bring to the game. I didn't consider the prospect of them essentially being a Character Creator, and I thought their moveset would be a bland, useless sports-based moveset. I was wrong, though I wasn't far off. They aren't on my **** list anymore, mainly because they cannot be used online and I therefore cannot ever see them unless I want to.

And everyone hated Pac-Man because...well, this is what we expected to see...

Just...ew. No.

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
I absolutely and utterly flipped my proverbial lid when Palutena was revealed. Obvious in hindsight, but she was my most wanted newcomer, so I was petty damn content with it~

DLC is indeed a tricky game and it's dangerous to try and guess what we'll get when it starts to appear. I've got plenty that I'd like to see, though how many of them are likely, I can't even begin to imagine. At the risk of speaking heathenous truths here, I'd also rather see newcomers than returning veterans.

The Light Music Club

Smash Master
NNID
_TLMC_
3DS FC
0576-6097-0725
Well, in the case of Miis, it was because I thought there was absolutely nothing they would bring to the game. I didn't consider the prospect of them essentially being a Character Creator, and I thought their moveset would be a bland, useless sports-based moveset. I was wrong, though I wasn't far off. They aren't on my **** list anymore, mainly because they cannot be used online and I therefore cannot ever see them unless I want to.
And everyone hated Pac-Man because...well, this is what we expected to see...

Just...ew. No.
I hated Pac-Man because I hate Pac-Man. I still don't like his inclusion.
:4palutena: was an easy guess since Day 1 considering the usage of Uprising in Pit's moveset [and sinked in once he was seen with a new final smash]
:4mii:/:4miif: were going to be in SOMEHOW, with how much they were being used in Streetpass, Nintendoland, Tomodachi Life, etc.
:4pacman: was basically the most likely third party character once Namco-Bandai were shown as working on the team.

That said, I'd like to see a "Mii Mage" fourth member of the archetype group in Sma5h or via DLC. I feel that category very lacking with the only characters that can be remotely grouped in it are :4ness:,:4palutena:,:4zelda:, and half-n-half with :4robinm:/:4robinf: since Lucas is gone.
I'd much rather have Lucas, or another newcomer than have an additional Mii. There are all ready 3 too many types of Miis.

Please don't tell me, I'm the only one who is still irritated over Miis, Pacman, Rosalina and Luma, Greninja, and Dark Pits inclusions.

Last edited:

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Honestly, a magic-based Mii moveset is the only one I would've liked. That and a bow-based Mii, but that never would've happened.
Now that the games is out, I don't want a DLC newcomer's slot to be wasted on another Mii, and I'm sure no one else does.

GunGunW

Smash Lord
NNID
GunGunW
At the risk of speaking heathenous truths here, I'd also rather see newcomers than returning veterans.
I would like Wolf to return (though I'd rather see Krystal over him anyway) but I don't want to see other than that I don't really care for any more veterans to return. I wouldn't mind Snake or Roy (yeah whatever) either, but Lucas, Squirtle, Ivysaur, Pichu, or any other cuts to come back I don't really care about. I would prefer someone new.

Last edited:

Xzsmmc

Smash Champion
This year's E3 was awful overall. Not a lot of good games shown, and the only character revealed that I kind of liked was Pac-Man, who was revealed in the most anti-climactic fashion ever.

I'm the only one who is still irritated over Miis, Pacman, Rosalina and Luma, Greninja, and Dark Pits inclusions.
You're not. Though Pac-Man is okay.

Last edited:

domokl

Smash Lord
This year's E3 was awful overall. Not a lot of good games shown, and the only character revealed that I kind of liked was Pac-Man, who was revealed in the most anti-climactic fashion ever.

You're not. Though Pac-Man is okay.
what? this years e3 is widely regarded to be one of nintendos best. The insane splatoon hype was so great.

Last edited:

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
It's more of a precautionary statement than anything. The majority of people during pre-Smash 4 speculation (myself included) were guilty of saying "X character is definitely in!" and "Y character is definitely not in!" and then ended up being proven wrong when these characters ended up getting in/not getting in. It causes us to be less flexible with characters and too reactionary when someone said something about a character's chances that may not reflect how we feel about it.

I remember stating over and over again how Mewtwo and a DK character were guarantees (I was especially confident of King K. Rool's inclusion) as well as Ice Climbers, Lucas, and Wolf. I, like many other people, got burned badly when these "guarantees" didn't happen and also got shocked when characters I had ruled as "impossible" got in (most notably Rosalina). While the roster still turned out very good all things considered, I will never make the mistake again of assuming X or Y character will definitely be in/not be in.
This is the problem with a disappointingly large portion of the speculation community; the belief in shoo-ins, guarantees, and impossibilities. In other words, absolutes. Too many times I've seen people claim that a character was certainly, without a doubt, 100% going to be in/not going to be in. If there is one we can be certain about, it is the uncertainty of the future. We, as speculators, simply do not know what is going to happen in this game, which is why speculation exists in the first place. Despite this fundamental principle, there are far too many people who claim that certain things will happen, as if it is an undeniable fact. This talk of absolutes creates the false sense that there are no other possibilities, even though there are infinite possibilities beyond our comprehension. This, in turn, creates dissent within the speculation community.

Over the course of speculation history, there have been far too many things treated as guarantees: the Gematsu leak, Chrom, Chorus Men, Mewtwo, Ice Climbers, etc. Too many people acted as if these were simple truths that were beyond question. In such a community, those wise enough to recognize the existence of unconsidered possibilities were often made the target of ridicule and insults, the most common of which being "denial." This insult in particular stands out as being completely out of place in a speculation community; you can't really be in a state of denial (at least, in the sense we use it) if what you're denying is not a confirmed fact. But, of course, so many labored under the delusion that these unconfirmed facts were reality, continued to deny the existence of other possibilities, and attacked those that did not share their delusion. This sort of behavior destroys the basis of speculation and, frankly, just ruins the fun for everyone.

In short, there are no guarantees in Smash. There never have been, nor will there ever be, and the community would be much better off if it realized that.

TheDarkKnightNoivern

Smash Master
I made one too

Dixie: Probably my most wanted newcomer and I was really disappointed she didn't make it in, she's be really fun too play bring in a new playstyle using her hair

Impa: By far the best choice for a new zelda rep, She's prominent in her appearances and has actually appeared more than once, at least as many as adult link, zelda and ganondorf. Plus she's a blank slate meaning they can do anything with her, I'd like to see her be a mix of zelda's magic and sheik's agility

Wolf: I really miss wolf, he was my main in brawl and was so unique and fun too play, Plus it sucks we loose the only star fox character with a good voice

Also I moved the clones with their own series

Last edited:

The Light Music Club

Smash Master
NNID
_TLMC_
3DS FC
0576-6097-0725
Wait E3 was good? Literally the only good thing about it was Palutena. I mean, if you've seen the video, you know I was excited, but that and Starfox were the only things I liked at all. The rest of the reveals were bad, and I am 100% sure I will not buy Splatoon. The game became more and more irritating as they kept on showing it. I never really paid attention to E3 until recently, but if that's Nintendo's best, I really don't want to see their worst.

TheDarkKnightNoivern

Smash Master
Wait E3 was good? Literally the only good thing about it was Palutena. I mean, if you've seen the video, you know I was excited, but that and Starfox were the only things I liked at all. The rest of the reveals were bad, and I am 100% sure I will not buy Splatoon. The game became more and more irritating as they kept on showing it. I never really paid attention to E3 until recently, but if that's Nintendo's best, I really don't want to see their worst.
Splatoon, Bayonetta 2 (and 1), Hyrule warriors, Xenoblade chronicles X, Code Name STEAM, Yoshi's Wolly world, Zelda Wii U etc

The Light Music Club

Smash Master
NNID
_TLMC_
3DS FC
0576-6097-0725
Splatoon, Bayonetta 2 (and 1), Hyrule warriors, Xenoblade chronicles X, Code Name STEAM, Yoshi's Wolly world, Zelda Wii U etc
Still looking for a game that I plan on buying out of that list. The only one that interests me at all of that group is Hyrule Warriors because of Lana, but I don't play Zelda games, so I won't be able to enjoy it. So yeah. I wanted Pokken, Fire Emblem x SMT, F-Zero, and Ice Climber.

Last edited:

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
At least we got star fox
Yeah until we know exactly what the game is gonna end up being, that ain't much of a positive.

People clamoring for a new Star Fox always puzzled me since Star Fox 64 is the only great one and it's clear Nintendo wants to steer away far from the arcade design 64 had for the series, which meant the rest of the series had varying quality. At least F-Zero is consistent and knows what it wants to be.

Though hell, for all I know, Star Fox Wii U might end up being the series' Sonic Color.

Last edited:

TheDarkKnightNoivern

Smash Master
Yeah until we know exactly what the game is gonna end up being, that ain't much of a positive.

People clamoring for a new Star Fox always puzzled me since Star Fox 64 is the only great one and it's clear Nintendo wants to steer away far from the arcade design 64 had for the series, which meant the rest of the series had varying quality. At least F-Zero is consistent and knows what it wants to be.

Though hell, for all I know, Star Fox Wii U might end up being the series' Sonic Color.
It'll probably end up being like 64 3D and if the interviews are anything to go by, it could be amazing
http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2014/06/e3_2014_three_different_modes_detailed_for_star_fox_wii_u

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom