• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Other than the ones we don't talk about, has Zelda ever had any spinoffs?
Technically the Four Swords games are spinoffs, as they don't follow the same gameplay format of existing Zelda titles, but they are considered canon. If you mean spinoffs as in =/= canon, well, being a spinoff doesn't mean a game can't be canon. But either way, it is true that there really aren't many Zelda spinoffs.

Kriven

Smash Journeyman
Quick response to various posts that interested me (without quotes):

The Excitebike track was likely added to Mario Kart 8 because of Excitebike: Bun Bun Mario Battle Stadium... It's a pseudo-classic track, in that regard.

Most recognizable Rhythm Heaven character:

Eat your heart out generic Chorus Kids nobody ever knew about before rumors.

King K. Rool is typically portrayed at twice the size of Donkey Kong... I've been saying it for years, but if Ridley is "too big", K. Rool is way too big.

Whether Ridley was intended to be playable can't be substantiated... But it also feels to me like the development team tried to work things out with the character. I don't know why they decided against it, but the scenario that makes sense to me is they attempted to implement Ridley as kind of a.. "Giga" sized character, but it ultimately didn't work out (even Giga Bowser isn't fun to play as on narrow stages). I doubt his exclusion had anything to do with 3DS capabilities.

More third-party characters would be great, honestly. There's a string of about ten characters that, in my opinion, represent the best of gaming throughout various generations (that haven't made it in yet). These are iconic characters or franchises or titles that deserve to be acknowledged in some regard: Frogger, Q*Bert, Final Fantasy, Street Fighter, Crash Bandicoot, Spyro the Dragon, Rayman, Tomb Raider, Skylanders. As I see it, those are the most significant third-party titles spanning the entirety of video gaming history... I just want to make it clear that there are other First-Tier gaming icons, but they happen to be first or second party to Sony or Microsoft. Popeye, James Bond, and Mickey Mouse are the only non-gaming characters with enough clout to stand among the others (Without Popeye there wouldn't be Mario, GoldenEye 007 defined the FPS genre, Kingdom Hearts is a massively influential franchise). As far as including third-party characters in Smash Bros., I think they should also consider characters or franchises which have had previous crossovers with Nintendo's properties... so Soul Calibur, Bomberman, Dead or Alive... those should all have special consideration.

Kriven

Smash Journeyman
If I need to do research, the character you have in mind isn't recognizable.

Last edited:

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
Here's my stance on Rhythm Heaven representation.

This is all just my personal opinion, I could be flat out wrong about this, but I'm thinking Gematsu was being contacted by a legitimate leaker, but the leaker was supplying Sal with outdated information. The Chorus Men were leaked by the guy who supplied Sal with the information as "Chorus Men," not any one member in particular, so if that's the case, Sakurai must have had the same trouble with their development as he did with the Ice Climbers.

Now, I have absolutely no expertise in Rhythm Heaven, but from what I gathered the Chorus Men are the number one characters from Rhythm Heaven, so if Sakurai wanted to give Rhythm Heaven a representative, it would be them, but the situation of difficult development makes me lean towards them being Assist Trophy material for future Smash titles.

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
Though not expecting it, I wouldn't mind seeing Isaac being added as DLC, we just got the original Golden Sun on Wii U Virtual Console for crying out loud. (And I've never even played Golden Sun before)

Last edited:

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
It's weird even though we've seen extensive Wii U gameplay but no Isaac AT.
Isaac being a DLC character would be cool, but what about Ray, Jill, Barbara...

Jill would be an interesting choice, albeit not the Jill I was wanting or expecting...

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
People make a big deal out of a lot of things when it comes to "chances".
To be fair, that's all we really have to go on. Sometimes stuff like that means nothing, and sometimes it ends up mattering; it's important to consider everything and every possibility when it comes to speculation.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I'd love Sami even though I don't think its that likely, sadly... I can only see it happening if a new Wars game is put into production, since the last game was before Brawl. Advance Wars is definitely one of the top franchises deserving of more representation, though.

D

Deleted member

There are four actors that could possibly be meant by "Wolf's voice actor" in this context.
His Japanese Brawl voice actor, Mahito Ouba.
His English Brawl actor, Jay Ward.
His Japanese 64 3D actor, Kosuke Takaguchi.
His English 64 3D actor Jaz Adams.

The latter two being most likely to be Wolf's voice actors for Smash 4.

None of them are in the credits for 3DS IIRC.

EDIT:
Come to think of it, it's strange Kosuke Takaguchi isn't present, considering he voices Falco in 64 3D as well.
....unless Falco didn't get a Japanese voice change?
In that case, Mahito Ouba would be the one to look out for. Though he's not in the credits either.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
There are four actors that could possibly be meant by "Wolf's voice actor" in this context.

Were any of Mewtwo's voice actors in the credits?

TheDarkKnightNoivern

Smash Master

EDIT:
Come to think of it, it's strange Kosuke Takaguchi isn't present, considering he voices Falco in 64 3D as well.
....unless Falco didn't get a Japanese voice change?
In that case, Mahito Ouba would be the one to look out for. Though he's not in the credits either.
So would the brawl actor be in Lylat cruise or something?

D

Deleted member

Were any of Mewtwo's voice actors in the credits?
Phillip Bartlett is dead.
Dan Green isn't in the credits. And he's retired from voice acting, IIRC.
Masachika Ichimura isn't in the credits.
Miriam Pultro isn't in the credits.
Reiko Takashima isn't in the credits.

So no. None of Mewtwo's known voice actors are in the credits.

So would the brawl actor be in Lylat cruise or something?
Unless the dialogue is redone to match Orbital Gate, he should be.
As should Fox's and Falco's actors.

D

Deleted member

EDIT: Delete this double post, please.

TheDarkKnightNoivern

Smash Master

So no. None of Mewtwo's known voice actors are in the credits.
Maybe he got a new actor?

Last edited:

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
Ah. Thanks for the clarification.
Or maybe, Mewtwo's actor isn't in the credits because Mewtwo's not in the game yet.

Edit: can't use "he" since it could end up being Femtwo.
I'd actually be all right with Mewtwo's female voice in Smash.

LunarWingCloud

Smash Lord
NNID
LunarWingStorm
3DS FC
2449-4791-3879
Who does everyone think is the most likely (not most wanted) character to be DLC next?
Wolf, maybe Ice Climbers. Wouldn't mind seeing Isaac from Golden Sun though and there are many suspiciously absent pieces of content that could hint at a possible DLC involving GS.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Purely being viable and probably close to complete on the Wii U doesn't make the ICs likely DLC characters, just because they'd be DLC doesn't mean Sakurai is going to abandon his philosophy about parallel rosters.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Purely being viable and probably close to complete on the Wii U doesn't make the ICs likely DLC characters, just because they'd be DLC doesn't mean Sakurai is going to abandon his philosophy about parallel rosters.
That's not the point most people are making. The general idea is, now that the game is over he can devote more time to fixing the glitches that he had with IC's. If anyone can do it, its Sakurai. He had them fully working on Smash Wii U, presumably even with 8-player Smash and 1080p, 60 FPS. IC's may need some tweaking to get them working on 3DS, and he just didn't have time before release to do so and get everything else done, but now he may have time to fix or change IC's a bit to make them work properly.

D

Deleted member

Sadly, this.
Unless the Ice Climbers were redefined as to have them work on the 3DS, the 3DS is going to prevent them from being DLC.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
That's not the point most people are making. The general idea is, now that the game is over he can devote more time to fixing the glitches that he had with IC's. If anyone can do it, its Sakurai. He had them fully working on Smash Wii U, presumably even with 8-player Smash and 1080p, 60 FPS. IC's may need some tweaking to get them working on 3DS, and he just didn't have time before release to do so and get everything else done, but now he may have time to fix or change IC's a bit to make them work properly.
He had a year since he first raised the issue of ICs presenting a problem, and even longer since he started working on them. Now they can try to fix something they couldn't get working the whole time the game was in development or they can cut their losses and not eat into time spent on developing other DLC.

Assuming they'd still be a priority kind of flies in the face of when Sakurai explicitly said they weren't a huge priority.

Sakurai is a good director and capable of a lot, but "if anyone can do it, it's Sakurai" has been said about things before that never came to pass, don't get your hopes up too high. If Sakurai couldn't get something working, you can bet he tried extensively before giving up, I mean, it's Sakurai.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom