• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deathcarter

Smash Lord
I still think Wolf is in because that slip of the tongue that NOA guy had during Comic Con.
Wolf pretty much has the best chance out of all potential characters of being unlockable outside of maybe Mewtwo assuming there are still unlockable characters left. Being a popular veteran in a notable franchise puts him way above the likes of Impa, Ridley, K. Rool, the Chorus Men and Dixie. He doesn't lack popularity like Lucas or the cut Melee clones or have any other secondary problems the likes of Snake (3rd party), IC's (technical difficulties), and Squirtle and Ivysaur (included for the sake of Pokémon Trainer and being deadweight without him) have. Him and Mewtwo are the two characters I have faith will be unlockable.

Last edited:

the8thark

Smash Lord
Wolf pretty much has the best chance out of all potential characters of being unlockable outside of maybe Mewtwo assuming there are still unlockable characters left. Being a popular veteran in a notable franchise puts him way above the likes of Impa, Ridley, K. Rool, the Chorus Men and Dixie. He doesn't lack popularity like Lucas or the cut Melee clones or have any other secondary problems the likes of Snake (3rd party), IC's (technical difficulties), and Squirtle and Ivysaur (included for the sake of Pokémon Trainer and being deadweight without him) have. Him and Mewtwo are the two characters I have faith will be unlockable.
I think you're right but for a totally different reason than what you say. There is no bad guy in SSB4 from the Star Fox universe. And I think having a good and bad presence from as many game IP's as possible in SSB4 would be a good idea. That means Falco might get cut in place of Wolf. But I have to say there's not all that many bad guys in SSB4 in comparison to all the good guys.

The whole good guy vs bad guy fights (especially from the same IP) is something people love to recreate in SSB.

Last edited:

Weeman

Smash Crusader
So Shulk confirmed, Ganondorf confirmed, Melee Corneria confirmed, i don't think there's point in arguing against the leak anymore.

Starbound

Worlds Apart, But Still Together.

This was posted on the Japanese Eshop. You guys think this is the starting roster?

It doesn't have Lucina in it, so I think it's possible.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
I still think Wolf is in because that slip of the tongue that NOA guy had during Comic Con.
He was answering a question, which was "Is one of Fox's customization move a stun one?". He answered "Yeah. Just like-" but stops himself.

He could have referred to Falco, whose gun also stuns.

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger
So Shulk confirmed, Ganondorf confirmed, Melee Corneria confirmed, i don't think there's point in arguing against the leak anymore.
Gender equality Shulk confirmed...

I enjoy Ganondorf's new up-smash and down-smash effects...

Corneria is my favorite stage. I hope we get the Melee version though, the Brawl version is too damned small. It would not fit Ridley properly...

I think you're right but for a totally different reason than what you say. There is no bad guy in SSB4 from the Star Fox universe. And I think having a good and bad presence from as many game IP's as possible in SSB4 would be a good idea. That means Falco might get cut in place of Wolf. But I have to say there's not all that many bad guys in SSB4 in comparison to all the good guys.

The whole good guy vs bad guy fights (especially from the same IP) is something people love to recreate in SSB.
I think he is right for the reasons he stated. Wolf's status as an antagonist is hardly what is going to keep him on the roster. His veteran status, unique move-set, prominence, and popularity are more relevant.

Last edited:

Rebellious Treecko

Smash Hero

Not sure if this was brought up already, but I think Dr. Mario, Pitoo, and Lucina's out-of-place locations might be for the sake of distinguishing them as clones.

Much like how the clones in Melee's roster were bordered around the edges and had their selection pics a bit further in the background.

Last edited:

bryanoid

Smash Cadet
Anyone else dislike how the two blue mascots are next to each other? Should be Mega-Pac-Sonic :(

Also, wtf are you doing in the middle of there Yoshi... I hope Lucina is placed AFTER Robin at least haha.

Btw, shouldn't Luigi be unlockable?

Morbi

Scavenger
Anyone else dislike how the two blue mascots are next to each other? Should be Mega-Pac-Sonic :(

Also, wtf are you doing in the middle of there Yoshi... I hope Lucina is placed AFTER Robin at least haha.

Btw, shouldn't Luigi be unlockable?
No. The blue characters should be beside each other because they are blue. The roster must be color coded!

This further confirms the leak, Sakurai does not know which franchise Yoshi is from anymore. He deluded himself into believing that Yoshi represented "Yoshi's Story" for years, but it was just too much of a strain on his heart. So he finally admits that Yoshi is intended to be a Mario character.

Not necessarily... yes.

bryanoid

Smash Cadet

Not sure if this was brought up already, but I think Dr. Mario, Pitoo, and Lucina's out-of-place locations might be for the sake of distinguishing them as clones.

Much like how the clones in Melee's roster were bordered around the edges and had their selection pics a bit further in the background.
If this is to be believed as the final roster, I fully expect character placement on the CSS to be cleaned up before release. This screen might be for debug purposes or something.

Gold_Jacobson

Smash Journeyman
Okay. I'm gonna handle this as one of few regular posters of the thread that actually has the background of spending 130 hours to get through all of Xenoblade Chronicles to help pick apart all the great little nuances that make Shulk's trailer as good as it is!

First off is the use of :4bowser:. Why? Because one of the more plot-important enemy-types of the game are creatures known as Telethia. Telethia are creatures with a design that mixes alien appeal to normally fairly animalistic design and can manipulate Ether, the lifeforce of the planet, for their own protection. Riki, the little stuffed animal looking thing in Shulk's trailer, is a very memorable Nopon who joins your party, the "Heropon" who gives these Telethia the nickname "Dino Beasts." Sounds like a nickname easilly used for bowser as well.

Here is one example of a Telethia's design

Second is the fact that Shulk lies in wait for Bowser's back to be turned before using Back Slash. One of Shulk's most devastating standard arts (skills) in his game, this attack's base value triples when done from behind an opponent.

The line "I'm really feeling it." Afterwards is one of Shulk's most common banter lines after finishing a normal fight, a slight nod.

His title drop "Foresees a battle" refers to one of the most important abilities of his legendary weapon, the Monado. Periodically, to drive the plot forward with a cloudy scene that becomes more clear as the party draws closer to the event, or in Combat to warn of a massive skill of an enemy that will either do heavy damage or kill an ally, the Monado gives very limited "visions" which are explained to be a reading of Ether. This skill is immediately used in how Shulk is able to avoid the initial attack by Marth and Link.

After a small bit of swordplay, Shulk jumps away and drops the line "Now it's Shulk time!" This inarguably is a reference to the memetic line of the first major (and somewhat broken) party member of the game, Reyn, who is Shulk's best friend and acts like a tank/bruiser. The line "Now it's Reyn time," became incredibly popular as a joke for fans because of just how often it was dropped.

This is but one of MANY examples of how people make a joke out of it.

As the final part of the CG scene, Shulk readies the Monado's true might by cycling through the buffing Monado Arts of his Sm4sh incarnation (much like Players must in game as they scurry to make a choice in the heat of battle) before screaming out his most famous line, said every time a Monado Art is readied, "THIS IS THE MONADO'S POWER!"

While his jabs are fairly simple, but his Side Smash mirrors the action of Monado Eater & Mondado Purge from the main game.
The following up Smash uses the Light-Blade of the monado at extended range, as would happen for the massive AOE of the most iconic Monado Art, Monado Buster. [spoiler [/spoiler] His down smash appears to take the same animation as the start of the last unlocked Monado Art, Monado Cyclone.

His presumably Neutral special which cycles through the arts has 5 in total buff-debuff trades. While these only buffed in the core game.. and 2 were made solely for Sm4sh.. and two are named wrong. They represent what these would do in stat effect, and the visual details of a limited coloured aura and matching blade colour difference in the Monado's light-blade.

Monado Speed: Would enhance dodge rate in the original, gives better speed at lack of weight in Smash.
Monado Shield Armor: Would give a percentage damage reduction, now gives Metal Box-like properties.
Monado Buster Enchant: Allowed piercing of Mechon armor and a flat strength buff, gives better damage but less knockback.
Monado Smash: The inverse of "Buster"
Monado Jump: Bunny Hood grade jumping, but lessens knockback and/or damage.

For a split second, an Assist Trophy of Riki himself is seen. Once again, very iconic party member.

Air Slash is seen as his up special. While starting off like :4marth::4lucina:'s Dolphin Slash, it then switches to the normal animation it has in Xenoblade once it reaches an opponent.

Back slash is... his Dash Attack? Unknown if he requires the same strategic placement in Sm4sh as in Xenoblade for the effects I already stated.

Visions by the Monado are seen as his Down Special as :4lucario:yet, :4palutena:another, :4mii:counter, :4greninja:down :4littlemac:special:4myfriends: here. However, it appears to have a "sweet spot" based on what frame of the countering that the attack connects, Captain Falcon hitting it... the one sweet spot you want to miss.

One of his alternate costumes is seen as the most iconic armor set in Xenoblade... the swimming set that EVERY character has access to (but obviously gender-specific sets).

Finally, for gameplay, his Final Smash is seen. As most predicted, it's a cinematic of a Chain Attack (the easiest and most rememberable way of just piling up insane amounts of damage on one target in the game) with two party members from Xenoblade Chronicles and ending with Shulk using Monado Buster as it is in his home game. The question here is if it will always be Dunban and Riki, if it will be one of 3 sets of party members (Dunban-Riki, Reyn-Sharla, Melia-"7" due to spoilers of the last party member), or if it will randomly choose 2 of the other 5/6 allies, assuming they keep "7" out for spoilers as they're rereleasing the game.

As the cliffhanger ending, a giant shadow is seen matched with the voice of a Faced Mechon that drives most of the game's story before the almighty Plot Dump that turns everything on its head: Metal Face. This of course hints to him being a Stage Boss for Gaur Plains, akin to Yellow Devil at the end of Megaman's.

That's it. Hopefully now some can appreciate his trailer better.

Edit: the third picture is Monado Buster, it should be after the part of his up-smash. I'll try to fix that after my next class.

:)

I started a few days ago. I just beat that telathia boss and am heading to the imperial city.

Weeman

Smash Crusader
I just noticed the title of the reveal trailer, is it actually a reference to Xenoblade?, becuase if it's not then i must say i feel kinda bad for laughing at it LOL.

D

Deleted member

I just noticed the title of the reveal trailer, is it actually a reference to Xenoblade?, becuase if it's not then i must say i feel kinda bad for laughing at it LOL.
I think it's a reference to the fan demand for Shulk

Niala

Smash Ace
That's actually a very interesting question.
Keep in mind they'll likely be continuing to reveal characters between the games' releases. They revealed multiple characters after Brawl, and they'll likely do the same here. There's also likely a ton of WiiU exclusive content for them to talk about.

And don't forget Filler of the Day.

the8thark

Smash Lord
That's actually a very interesting question.
Well actually we have a good idea of what that might be like now. At the moment Hyrule Warriors is out now in Japan. And the west get to wait or watch streams of j.aps finishing the game and unlocking everything in it. So if you want, (apart from not knowing what the text in game says) you can know everything there is to know about Hyrule Warriors before it's released here.

I think a similar thing will happen here for the WiiU SSB4 fans. They could watch the streams of people unlocking everything in the 3DS version. And have very little left to discover on their own. It's basically to to the one question "do you want to watch the streams and be spoiled or do you want to avoid the streams and patiently wait?"

of cause the hype will die a somewhat when the 3DS version is released. The WiiU fans probably already realise that already. But by then hopefully the WiiU fans will have an exact date so they can begin to count down the days.

Last edited:

Baskerville

That's a paddlin'
NNID
RedGazelle7
3DS FC
4184-3881-5805
It is. Shulk actually says that when you enage a higher level enemy before battle.

Morbi

Scavenger

Nu~

Smash Dreamer
U.S., Maryland (Eastern Time, UTC - 5hrs)
NNID
EquinoXYZ
Well Sakurai, you took a character I knew absolutely nothing about, made him look badass, and made me hyped enough for him that he is now my second favorite newcomer.

GG Sakurai

Last edited:

Deathcarter

Smash Lord
If this is to be believed as the final roster, I fully expect character placement on the CSS to be cleaned up before release. This screen might be for debug purposes or something.
I think there are three locked characters we haven't seen yet. I posted this in the Roster Leak discussion on how I feel the CSS will play out:

I have a theory on the rest of the potential roster assuming we have more unlockable characters left:

1. Wolf and Mewtwo will return filling up the 4th row and pushing DHD and ROB to the fifth row.

2. The clones will end up on the 6th row alongside the 3rd parties and Shulk will move up to the 5th row alongside the other single rep series once there are 7 or more non-clone characters on the fifth row.

3. We'll either get Bandana Dee (pushing Mac to the 5th row) or we'll get a Rhythm Heaven rep (well any rep from an unrepresented franchise but I feel RH is the most likely).

4. *Wishful thinking here* Snake might be a secret newcomer and Sakurai and Kojima accomplishes the biggest troll job in Smash history (if only......). I mentioned him mostly because he wouldn't effect my CSS theory.

I don't think we're getting Ridley, Dixie, K. Rool, or a Zelda rep as any one of those franchises getting another character will cause massive shifts in the CSS. I also feel Sakurai is going to leave some of the black background leftover so I think we have three unseen characters left. Four if by some miracle Snake comes back.

Last edited:

ElPanandero

Smash Lord
NNID
ElPanandero
Well Sakurai, you took a character I knew absolutely nothing about, made him look badass, and made me hyped enough for him that he is now my second favorite newcomer.

GG Sakurai
This. Didn;t care about Shulk before, trailer makes him look alright (momonondodo modes look kind of whack in my opinion) but he's british and that makes him awesome

Niala

Smash Ace
This. Didn;t care about Shulk before, trailer makes him look alright (momonondodo modes look kind of whack in my opinion) but he's british and that makes him awesome
Thought it was Aussie. The voice actor did a pretty crappy job, though, it sounds like an American doing a bad accent.

But British accents <3

ElPanandero

Smash Lord
NNID
ElPanandero
Thought it was Aussie. The voice actor did a pretty crappy job, though, it sounds like an American doing a bad accent.

But British accents <3
I only watched it once through, and he only talks like 3 times, so maybe it's aussie, either way, I agree, it's dope

Morbi

Scavenger
I just want to point out that @ BluePikmin11 BluePikmin11 's pre-leak roster is technically the most accurate. Everyone always bashes his ideas and pretends as though he is not one of the best speculators in this thread...

"Hey, maybe you should remove Dark Pit for King K. Rool and Dr. Mario for Mewtwo." :troll:

Weeman

Smash Crusader
I just want to point out that @ BluePikmin11 BluePikmin11 's pre-leak roster is technically the most accurate. Everyone always bashes his ideas and pretends as though he is not one of the best speculators in this thread...

"Hey, maybe you should remove Dark Pit for King K. Rool and Dr. Mario for Mewtwo." :troll:
But it doesn't help that he changed his rosters every month or so, or did you forget the rosters with Dr. Kawashima and Daitoryou on them? :troll:

Last edited:

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
The character cameos point is weak. Shulk had Bowser, Link, and Marth feature in the CGI portion of the trailer.
Those arent cameos, those are guest appearances/features. The other two are 'hidden' ish, not poorly thrown in our face as obvious players in a dreadful play.

I'm honestly shocked that more hardcore fans of Shulk are simply okay with the rudimentary trailer he was given. I barely wanted the guy to be in the game, and I think the video reveal he got was ridiculously sub par.

Weeman

Smash Crusader
Those arent cameos, those are guest appearances/features. The other two are 'hidden' ish, not poorly thrown in our face as obvious players in a dreadful play.

I'm honestly shocked that more hardcore fans of Shulk are simply okay with the rudimentary trailer he was given. I barely wanted the guy to be in the game, and I think the video reveal he got was ridiculously sub par.
What? I haven't even played Xenoblade and i thought the reveal was awesome, not the best trailer for sure, but i didn't feel underwhelmed at all during it.

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger
What? I haven't even played Xenoblade an i thought the reveal was awesome, not the best trailer for sure, but i didn't feel underwhelmed at all during it.
I believe my issue with his reveal was the leak, I could see what all of his moves were based on and I have been admiring his render for the past week. The reveal did very little to convince me that he was his own unique character. Other than that, he is seemingly one of the more fun characters and I am interested in his "arts" mechanic.

But it doesn't help that he changed his rosters every month or so, or did you forget the rosters with Dr. Kawashima and Daitoryou on them? :troll:
To be fair, sometimes you have to change your roster in light of new information. For instance, Dark Pit was not on my very first roster. But who knows, maybe Dr. Kawashima IS in the game.

Last edited:

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
I have a theory that he was put in there on purpose. I mean, why else would he put in one of the character featured in the leak?
No way, videos like these are made a long time in advance, and the gameplay clips themselves might be even older. It also only pops up for one second. It's the same kind of slip-up we had pre-Brawl with Ness, Lucario and Jigglypuff.

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
No way, videos like these are made a long time in advance, and the gameplay clips themselves might be even older. It also only pops up for one second. It's the same kind of slip-up we had pre-Brawl with Ness, Lucario and Jigglypuff.
Unless he knew ahead of time that it would be leaked through a vision in times. Which explains why Shulk was revealed today.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom