• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
I know he's technically not a character, but we now know what Ghirahim does...

"Ghirahim appeared in The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword. He moves like an acrobat and will attack with both sword and knife. Attacks against him will not fell him, and he can even teleport back into action should he get launched off the stage."

Also, Phosphora is confirmed an AT as well.

Sigh... :sadeyes::sadeyes:

Last edited:

SmasherMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
TelevisionGamer
I am 100% sure that all of the characters from the leak are in. Especially considered Shulk's pose on the website is the same as his banner and icon on the roster leak.

Masonomace

Yeah Shulk, get stuck in!
NNID
Masonomace
@ Kenith Kenith I feel for you, so I'll reply some fairly good or bad news that would vary. Despite Ghirahim not being a playable fighter & is an Assist character, at least Dark Link is not a separate character slot in the roster to join in the Dark trend:urg:..
Edit: This technically soft-confirms Dark Toon Link. Thank goodness for him not being a separate slot either.:shades:

Last edited:

The Light Music Club

Smash Master
NNID
_TLMC_
3DS FC
0576-6097-0725
I'd just like to say I would've taken the Ice Climbers over having Wii Fit Trainer, Shulk, Little Mac, Rosalina and Luma, Dr. Mario, Dark Pit, Mega Man, Pac Man, Bowser Jr., and Duck Hunt Dog. Even though I really like Dr. Mario, Bowser Jr., and DHD I would've been fine not having any of those characters if I could have the ICs.

How come ICs can't get in but Rosalina and Luma can?

Last edited:

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
@ Kenith Kenith I feel for you, so I'll reply some fairly good or bad news that would vary. Despite Ghirahim not being a playable fighter & is an Assist character, at least Dark Link is not a separate character slot in the roster to join in the Dark trend:urg:..
Edit: This technically soft-confirms Dark Toon Link. Thank goodness for him not being a separate slot either.:shades:

The fact that Dark Link and Dark Samus, and also Blood Falcon, aren't worthy of their own character slot (as a clone), but Dark Pit somehow is, is actually infuriatingly stupid and biased.

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
I'd just like to say I would've taken the Ice Climbers over having Wii Fit Trainer, Shulk, Little Mac, Rosalina and Luma, Dr. Mario, Dark Pit, Mega Man, Pac Man, Bowser Jr., and Duck Hunt Dog. Even though I really like Dr. Mario, Bowser Jr., and DHD I would've been fine not having any of those characters if I could have the ICs.

At first, I thought you implied you'd prefer Ice Climbers over all of those characters combined. But a second read relieves me that you didn't mean it that way. IC's apparently take up more ram memory in the game than RosaLuma does. This is also apparently why Pokemon Trainer was removed & scrapped due to that having difficulties on the 3DS. So fool you guys for thinking Charizard was chosen by popularity & yadeeyada.:p
The fact that Dark Link and Dark Samus, and also Blood Falcon, aren't worthy of their own character slot (as a clone), but Dark Pit somehow is, is actually infuriatingly stupid and biased.
Oh yeah for sure. Blood Falcon & Dark Samus to my knowledge would definitely be more worthy candidates for the clone-esque department of slots to be filled. Dr. Mario = Mario but he's already been in Smash Brothers once so I'll let that slide. Idk much about Dark Link's lore, but I'm gonna assume he can do it.

Last edited:

Miffa

The Money Man
NNID
DeanMiffa

Ice Climbers AI is a lot more complicated then Rosalina i believe do having 4 in a battle might have lowered frame rate and that is the reason he cut them i'm guessing.
Edit" Maybe the new 3ds see them as DLC?

Last edited:

Maxilian

Smash Ace
I do like the character.
From a strictly analytical standpoint, it is the worst: it builds zero hype.

It literally just shoves Shulk in our faces, and then introduces what he can do with gameplay.
There is no buildup, no multiple character reveal, no musical tension.

I WILL clarify that of course, I do not speak Japanese, and that may play a factor, because I may not understand the story. Yet, Shulk barely spoke in the video, so I doubt I missed some extreme amount of story.

As for why it was worse than Wii Fit or Pacman? Are you kidding?
Pacman was a huge fan service- it built up the big four mascots, and literally played on that tension in a brilliant harmony.
Wii Fit billed the tension of expectation by faking us out with expectation.

There is no comparison.
This video literally, unless Im missing some huge component by 2 lines of text, just said, "hey guys here is shulk."

On a strictly marketing and storytelling perspective, this video was an absolute failure. I speak as objectively as this can be done. I'm always happy to get a new character from a new franchise :)
Well the hype of these character is based on the fan service too (That's why it was shown on the Japan only direct, cause he's pretty popular on Japan) i'm pretty sure he's the same as Marth in melee (I big hype for Japan and a big "WHO? or WHAT?" for us

The Light Music Club

Smash Master
NNID
_TLMC_
3DS FC
0576-6097-0725
At first, I thought you implied you'd prefer Ice Climbers over all of those characters combined. But a second read relieves me that you didn't mean it that way. IC's apparently take up more ram memory in the game than RosaLuma does. This is also apparently why Pokemon Trainer was removed & scrapped due to that having difficulties on the 3DS. So fool you guys for thinking Charizard was chosen by popularity & yadeeyada.:p

Oh yeah for sure. Blood Falcon & Dark Samus to my knowledge would definitely be more worthy candidates for the clone-esque department of slots to be filled. Dr. Mario = Mario but he's already been in Smash Brothers once so I'll let that slide. Idk much about Dark Link's lore, but I'm gonna assume he can do it.
Oh, I actually did mean that. 10 characters. I'm not even joking.

Pakky

Smash Hero
I'm sorry about ever doubting the videos. Never played Xenoblade but this guy looks cool and isn't just another swordsman. Welcome aboard Shulk, and by extension Bowser Jr too. However the Dark Pitt and Dr. Mario thing is still a little hard to believe.

the8thark

Smash Lord
Well the hype of these character is based on the fan service too (That's why it was shown on the Japan only direct, cause he's pretty popular on Japan) i'm pretty sure he's the same as Marth in melee (I big hype for Japan and a big "WHO? or WHAT?" for us
But that's the idea. So when Xenoblade for WiiU and 3DS hit here they won't be a "what the?? is that game on the store shelf". We'll be more like, "ahh that's the game that has that guy from SSB4 in it. I might try this game".

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
Oh, I actually did mean that. 10 characters. I'm not even joking.
I admire your integrity to claim such. Though now I think you're completely insayian to want one character(s) over 10. No matter how loving the character is to anyone, Ice Climbers has a horrible reputation for being grab-gimmick characters & I tbh hope they don't return unless their grab-gimmick is fixed & balanced. Sorry but thank you.:urg:

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
So wait... Shulk can STAT. change?

...there goes Isaac's gimmick. And here I thought they were only competing for looks and weapon of choice.... :(

I'll keep my fingers crossed, but if there was one gimmick that should've been Isaac's, it was stat. changes. Isaac's atk, def, speed, and Psyenergy power varies depending on the Djinn he uses.

Well... It was fun while it lasted. Still, Shulk's inclusion ain't half bad. I just preferred Isaac a lot more.
I'll take his absence from AT status a good thing for now. But also keeping my expectations realistic.

Maxilian

Smash Ace
But that's the idea. So when Xenoblade for WiiU and 3DS hit here they won't be a "what the?? is that game on the store shelf". We'll be more like, "ahh that's the game that has that guy from SSB4 in it. I might try this game".
Yep, that's the point, just like Fire Emblem, it became really popular in America after Melee (after people saw Marth and Roy they started asking for the game)

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
Eh, I'm not interested in Shulk. I like how the title of the video is, "Looks Like We Don't Have a Choice!" even though Bowser looked like he was minding his own business. heck, he was playing with the butterflies!

Last edited:

Maxilian

Smash Ace
Where did this come from?
I don't know, but if that end up being the roster..... I LOVE IT!

Eh, I'm not interested in Shulk. I like how the title of the video is, "Looks Like We Don't Have Choice!" even though Bowser looked like he was minding his own business. heck, he was playing with the butterflies!
It looked more like he was looking for someone to burn alive and then got distracted with the butterflies :p

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Where did this come from?
Pretty sure its fake since some of the renders are different, Wolf is there despite being apparently cut, and Ridley uses his Super Metroid design despite his Other M design being shown off in the direct.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
From the japanese eshop apparently
Starting roster?

Wow Wario being an unlockable is really lame.

Last edited:

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
We can at least assume that anyone that isn't on the image is definitely an unlockable.

The only one on the site that isn't on that is Lucina. Guess she's saved for the uh, "clone corner".

Sage of Ice

Smash Ace
NNID
SageofIce
The blurtastic final roster doesn't look that unbelievable, does it? Although maybe that's just bias on my part.

Honestly I'm inclined to believe it's fake just because I'm a horrible pessimist and the universe would never throw me a bone like that...

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
The blurtastic final roster doesn't look that unbelievable, does it? Although maybe that's just bias on my part.

Honestly I'm inclined to believe it's fake just because I'm a horrible pessimist and the universe would never throw me a bone like that...
The one with Chorus Kids, Ridley and Dixie?

It's fake because Jigglypuff and Doc's icons don't even match the real leak's lol.

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
Starting roster?

No unlockable Mario characters?
Almost all the Pokémon characters are there?
All third-parties?
Wow, no me gusta.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Problem is, (With the exception of Dark Samus) they aren't as requested as Dark Pit.
It's almost like you care about the Dark Link from this post.

TrevonMarrast

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Luigicheesecake
Starting roster?

This would be the best and largest starting roster we would have so far. The question is will the Wii-U have the same starters or something different?

NickerBocker

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2492-4251-5054
We can at least assume that anyone that isn't on the image is definitely an unlockable.

The only one on the site that isn't on that is Lucina. Guess she's saved for the uh, "clone corner".
What about 3rd parties? They tend to be shown off because they are big ticket items, but are locked from the starting roster. At least thats what happened in Brawl.

But if this is the starting roster thats cool too

MYU2

Smash Apprentice
Greninja on the starting roster. If Mewtwo isn't in the game and Jigglypuff is the only unlockable Pokemon, that would be really dumb

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom