• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

~Krystal~

True American Heroine
I believe it is an elaborate ruse. I am here to inform you that videos can be faked, if not... I had better start believing in Sasquatch. There are videos of that and what I can discern from Smashboards at the moment is that videos are impossible to fake.
When's the last time you saw a troll produce an original model based on no apparent build with a completely unique moveset? Bowser Jr. is clearly like nothing ever seen. If you're going to argue that it's possible to fake videos, well yeah, only I would think it's a little bit harder to do it with gameplay ones of characters in koopa clown cars. The likelihood of it being faked is extremely low. I'd be willing to bet my account on it.

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
Canada, Quebec (or Rogeuport if you want)
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
On a different topic, what is your most cherished memory regarding Smash speculation in this forum?
My whole support for Paper Mario since I became OP.

That stage reveal...I'll never forget that hype night.

Still supporting and my hype is back now, so I'm giving the best I can now with the leaks since expectation doesn't matter when you support by heart.

Morbi

Scavenger
When's the last time you saw a troll produce an original model based on no apparent build with a completely unique moveset? Bowser Jr. is clearly like nothing ever seen. If you're going to argue that it's possible to fake videos, well yeah, only I would think it's a little bit harder to do it with gameplay ones of characters in koopa clown cars. The likelihood of it being faked is extremely low. I'd be willing to bet my account on it.
Apparently Bowser Jr. borrows animations from Diddy Kong, his recovery and rolling animations if I recall correctly. I do believe that it is utterly fallacious to assume that the leak is real based on the notion that trolls rarely go this far in an attempt to convince someone of their leak's validity. There are still many discrepancies that people seem to be overlooking because the leak is predominantly well crafted.

Weeman

Smash Crusader
Actually, while i think it's most likely real, Bowser Jr. had some moves from Diddy Kong in that footage, or at least similar.
Edit: Morbidja'd

Last edited:

ZecaOMestre

Smash Apprentice
It's not only about the video though. Sakurai has shown us the Bet Screen and the Challenge Screen in two recent PoTDs and they had alredy been revealed by the leak. IIt would be stupid to dismiss it as fake at this point

Weeman

Smash Crusader
It's not only about the video though. Sakurai has shown us the Bet Screen and the Challenge Screen in two recent PoTDs and they had alredy been revealed by the leak. IIt would be stupid to dismiss it as fake at this point
AND an area of N's castle that we hadn't seen before, wich was on the stage screen as well.

Morbi

Scavenger
There might be elements of the leak that are accurate whilst other portions or aspects are not entirely correct. Or perhaps there is outdated information being presented to us. I hope so, I do not look forward to Marth-Shulk, myself.

Last edited:

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
Uh I main Diddy Kong in Project M and Bowser Jr doesn't share any animations with him from what we saw.

Morbi

Scavenger
Uh I main Diddy Kong in Project M and Bowser Jr doesn't share any animations with him from what we saw.
Maybe they are Brawl specific animations? I do not play Diddy Kong at all, but multiple people have confirmed that he shares certain animations. The most notable being the up-special. You do not need to be a Diddy main to see that that is a recycled animation.

Regardless, even if the Bowser Jr. portion is real, that does not automatically confirm the Shulk portion to be real... or vice versa.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
Even if the Up B animation is similar (not exact), that's just one move out of many we saw.

There's other things to consider. Bowser Jr's screen KO (the new Smash 4 one) animation? How do you replicate that on a Brawl mod? What about the Koopa Clown car poofing effect when Bowser Jr lands from his recovery?

It's all too professional to be a mod.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Even if the Up B animation is similar (not exact), that's just one move out of many we saw.

There's other things to consider. Bowser Jr's screen KO (the new Smash 4 one) animation? How do you replicate that on a Brawl mod? What about the Koopa Clown car poofing effect when Bowser Jr lands from his recovery?

No one said all of it is a mod.
It could be a mix of clever video editing and modding.

~Krystal~

True American Heroine
Apparently Bowser Jr. borrows animations from Diddy Kong, his recovery and rolling animations if I recall correctly. I do believe that it is utterly fallacious to assume that the leak is real based on the notion that trolls rarely go this far in an attempt to convince someone of their leak's validity. There are still many discrepancies that people seem to be overlooking because the leak is predominantly well crafted.
What would those discrepancies be? Even ignoring the fact Nintendo would bother to have the videos taken down.

Morbi

Scavenger

I am not familiar with modding, but I was certain that with enough determination, you could make "anything" happen. What irks me is that all of the new moves were described in the Ninka leak. We have not seen anything from Bowser Jr. that was not a part of that leak besides something similar Diddy Kong's up-special. The Ninka leak detailed the punching gloves, the mouth attack, and the cannon ball. I suppose the same goes for Shulk aside from something similar to Roy's down smash.

Too professional to be a mod? I thought it was too ****ty to be the real thing to be honest. It had better be a REALLY early build of the game. The demo was far superior to what we had the displeasure of witnessing.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
There might be elements of the leak that are accurate whilst other portions or aspects are not entirely correct. Or perhaps there is outdated information being presented to us. I hope so, I do not look forward to Marth-Shulk, myself.
I'm really hoping you're right on that. Shulk should really be unique considering how much they could pull from Xenoblade Chronicles, but that footage just shows him stealing from Marth and Link and that is really disappointing. Shulk was one of my most desired characters on the basis he was going to be a completely unique swordsmen and he represented a game that I adore (Though I've never actually beaten it to be honest). Well I got one part of that, but the other arguably more important part I didn't. I mean we already have Lucina as a clone of Marth, do we really need Shulk stealing from him too? Is there any reason he'd have to borrow from Marth in terms of move set or what?

Weeman

Smash Crusader
What would those discrepancies be? Even ignoring the fact Nintendo would bother to have the videos taken down.
Wolf is sexy, Sakurai likes sexy characters, he is not on the roster, that's a contradiction right there. Also:
batman_zps1af413c6.jpg

Last edited:

~Krystal~

True American Heroine
Actually, while i think it's most likely real, Bowser Jr. had some moves from Diddy Kong in that footage, or at least similar.
Edit: Morbidja'd
You mean the Koopa Car's tongue lash? Having moves that function in a similar way doesn't mean the character is fabricated, or else we would have dismissed Ganondorf as an actual newcomer in Melee.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
The footage is at a higher FPS then Brawl, characters are shown to smoke at high percentages, Bowser Jr. has a Smash 4 style screen KO, and Bowser, Pikachu, and all the other vets match up perfectly to their Smash 4 selves.

Is it possible to fake all this? Yes.

Highly unlikely, though. Not to mention the fact that the challenges menu shown today matches up with the one they revealed yesterday.

Morbi

Scavenger
That fact that the video was removed is not material in the slightest, Nintendo is practically obligated to remove fake game-play footage. If you could please explain why that entails that the video is real, I would be VERY interested in hearing your reason. I have the sneaking suspicion that you are going to assert that it implies that Nintendo does not want people to see the video. To which I would reply, "you don't say!"

Other than the aforementioned animations during the video... there were certain aspects of the primary leak like Ness' shirt, Shulk's borrowed position (which is reasonable, but odd). Basically, a lot of nitpick details such as the absence of names, horrible positioning, Wario's eye, etc. The discrepancies that convince me pertain to some of the trophy descriptions. The grammar is not what one would expect out of a professional.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
The footage is at a higher FPS then Brawl.
Are you basing this on the Youtube video, or is there another source where you can watch it at a higher framerate? Youtube videos cap at 30fps, Brawl is 60fps.

If there's another source can you PM the link? Really wanna see it.

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger
The footage is at a higher FPS then Brawl, characters are shown to smoke at high percentages, Bowser Jr. has a Smash 4 style screen KO, and Bowser, Pikachu, and all the other vets match up perfectly to their Smash 4 selves.

Is it possible to fake all this? Yes.

Highly unlikely, though. Not to mention the fact that the challenges menu shown today matches up with the one they revealed yesterday.
I suppose it is of my belief that these aspects were mostly faked. As @ Kenith Kenith mentioned, it is more likely than not a combination of video editing and Brawl mods. If there is a chance that it is fake, it is not objectively true at the current time. That my friend, is a fact. As an advocate of "fact," I am inclined to be more hesitant regarding this leak.

Last edited:

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
Shulk speaks in the footage. It's definitely Adam Howden and he says "Air Slash" and "I'm feeling it right now". (or something like that)

I'm not familiar with Xenoblade, but does he say any of those lines in the game?

Morbi

Scavenger
Shulk speaks in the footage. It's definitely Adam Howden and he says "Air Slash" and "I'm feeling it right now". (or something like that)

I'm not familiar with Xenoblade, but does he say any of those lines in the game?
Again, this is hearsay, but someone mentioned that it was ripped from the game, Xenoblade.

All zero of them.
I do not even know, I do not even know. That up-special looks the same to me, but other than that, I can see where you are coming from.

Last edited:

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
I suppose it is of my belief that these aspects were mostly faked. As @ Kenith Kenith mentioned, it is more likely than not a combination of video editing and Brawl mods. If there is a chance that it is fake, it is not objectively true at the current time. That my friend, is a fact. As an advocate of "fact," I am inclined to be more hesitant regarding this leak.
Sure, sure. Nothing is absolute unless shown to us by Sakurai or the game is in our hands.

Air Slash is the name of one of Shulk's regular Arts so he says it quite a bit, and I believe "I'm really feeling it" might be part of his battle banter, but there is a lot of that (banter) in the game.

Burruni

Smash Hero
This is one time that I haven't gritting my teeth expecting a flood of information about Dark Pit. I kid, I kid.

However, Morbid is exactly right here.

In terms of characters, ONLY Bowser Jr. and Shulk have been confirmed, or to be more specific, as confirmed as they can be without an official confirmation from Sakurai. There are various parts of this leak that could still very well be false. While it does have some great aesthetics, there are a bunch of weird little parts of what we have seen and inconsistencies with other parts of Smash history that makes doubt still realistic to an extent, with this leak.

To quote myself and others, let's revisit the list of parts that seem so... off. 15 degrees off right, if you will.

1) Wario's left (camera right) pupil.
2) Ness's full character icon lacking the iconic 5th yellow stripe of his partially-untucked shirt.
3) Shulk being in the same line as the 3rd party characters
4) Ganondorf's icon of eternal darkness and impossible detail
5) Shulk's full icon angle still has those similarities to Little Mac's...
6) The "Newcomer" clone locations in the roster
7) Dr. Mario coming back out of the blue
8) Fox and Greninja's backgrounds being different colors
9) The fairly significant different changes to the top of the bottom screen HUD's, could easily be a design change, but it's notable.
10) Yoshi's location in between the Mario reps if he has a unique icon.
11) The choices for the Kirby, Mother, and Xenoblade stages.
12) The fact that the red selection of the random slot of the stage bleeds onto the bottom screen
13) Mii Fighters having an entire menu whose picture was ONLY posted after people flocked saying the roster was fake because it lacked them.
14) The lack of the other 5 characters.
15) The choices of the Brawl stages that return (Mushroomy Kingdom... really? It seems like an odd choice when the 3D Land/World stage does the same gimmick so easily).
16) The icon for "Duck Hunt" is suspiciously MUCH clearer than all the other blurry bits of the same picture
17) Did we ever get an explanation for the pictures of more than 4 full-character arts at once? Shouldn't that not be possible?
18) Dark Pit as a choice when Sakurai has already been getting backlash for his "Bias" to Uprising.
19) The Melee Clones were added in when it felt like there wasn't a strong enough roster in newcomers (being only Icies, Mr. G&W, Marth, Peach, Bowser, Mewtwo and Zelda/Sheik, being 7 or 8 depending on your opinion either way). With us having at least 14 newcomer "slots, and 16 total with the only clone being Lucina, assuming Bowser Jr. and Shulk are in with the evidence given, who all are truly unique and play well, I don't see the same reasoning for Clone Padding. Lucas and Wolf in Brawl were semi-clones or better, and were VERY requested characters. Toon Link spiritually replaced :younglinkmelee: after WW, and I believe Phantom Hourglass was out as well. Also, Toon Link COULD be applied to games like Minish Cap and Four Swords (Adventures). It just REALLY seems weird.
20) Sakurai said that Lucina was LUCKY to move from Alternative Costume to a Playable Character. Is it that lucky if lightning strikes thrice in the same place?
21) Why would the ESRB be shown more than just footage of the most violent characters, "skimpy" women, and those with the most "mature" weaponry and the matching trophies?
22) I know this is probably personal, but Duck Hunt Dog was known for being a malicious assistant who was one of gaming's oldest a-holes. Why would he looks so... cutesy and Disney-esque with LIVING ducks when even the character name is Duck HUNT? It just... seems odd.
23) We've been getting various parts of this from various people, with some parts really contradicting.
24) One of the first leakers even said their DLC list was fake and they said it just to mess with people. WHEN YOUR LEAKER ADMITS THAT THEY WERE MESSING WITH YOU OVER ONE THING, DOESN'T THAT MAKE THEIR RELIABILITY QUESTIONABLE?
25) Why would DLC be known already? Look at how long it took and is taking for MK8, which is the closest comparison we have.
26) Why would anyone from the ESRB know it, when it'd be in the budding parts of development as the final stamps of approval are being put on the various final products as is?
27) Am I the only one who feels like if they had more characters in mind and/or in work to the point they could be said to be in a future DLC... what would stop Sakurai from pushing back the deadline a bit for them? Look at how long Brawl's delays took it.
28) SHULK, WHY ARE YOU SHARING TWO SPECIALS WITH MARTH WHEN YOU HAVE SO MUCH BIGGER POTENTIAL?! YOU ARE THE ONLY CHARACTER OF YOUR FRANCHISE AND NOW PEOPLE ARE GOING TO THINK YOU'RE FROM A FIRE EMBLEM SPINOFF!!!! Rant over.

There are many minor aspects. A number of them could be called straw-grasping. But doesn't the sum of them get a foot in the door for doubt?

Edit:
Realistic fake rosters and models have been seen before with this game. If you get your hand slapped 40 times when you try to grab candy, do you not become suspicious when someone offers some for free?

There's a possibility, maybe a probability that the full initial roster shown was/is real..

But there's a chance.

Also, point 29) Ice Climbers... one of Sakurai's pet characters, he hand-picked them from all NES obscurity to be the Melee ambassadors, the feeling that they could be cut when characters with fairly-similar situations work properly... it feels wrong.

Last edited:

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
It has not relations to Brawl modding.

-There are Shulk skins and whatnot, but they're either for Ike or a custom made PSA based on Cloud. The moveset is based on neither, so it's impossible for it to be a mere skin hack.
-Shulk has voice clips unique to the videos, and has a victory theme that is unique to that.
-Bowser Jr. does not have any hacks that put him in the Koopa Clown Cart, and it's not a reskin considering the moveset is clearly made from scratch. Not to mention it cannot be made with Brawl modding to begin with due to complications with creating projectiles.
-The lighting and models are from Super Smash Bros. for 3DS.
-There is no hack that changes Bowser's moveset to mimic his new moveset, meaning doing so is not possible.
-The results screen is from the game, and it's absolutely not possible to replicate with Brawl modding.

Last edited:

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
This is one time that I haven't gritting my teeth expecting a flood of information about Dark Pit. I kid, I kid.

However, Morbid is exactly right here.

In terms of characters, ONLY Bowser Jr. and Shulk have been confirmed, or to be more specific, as confirmed as they can be without an official confirmation from Sakurai. There are various parts of this leak that could still very well be false. While it does have some great aesthetics, there are a bunch of weird little parts of what we have seen and inconsistencies with other parts of Smash history that makes doubt still realistic to an extent, with this leak.

To quote myself and others, let's revisit the list of parts that seem so... off. 15 degrees off right, if you will.

1) Wario's left (camera right) pupil.
2) Ness's full character icon lacking the iconic 5th yellow stripe of his partially-untucked shirt.
3) Shulk being in the same line as the 3rd party characters
4) Ganondorf's icon of eternal darkness and impossible detail
5) Shulk's full icon angle still has those similarities to Little Mac's...
6) The "Newcomer" clone locations in the roster
7) Dr. Mario coming back out of the blue
8) Fox and Greninja's backgrounds being different colors
9) The fairly significant different changes to the top of the bottom screen HUD's, could easily be a design change, but it's notable.
10) Yoshi's location in between the Mario reps if he has a unique icon.
11) The choices for the Kirby, Mother, and Xenoblade stages.
12) The fact that the red selection of the random slot of the stage bleeds onto the bottom screen
13) Mii Fighters having an entire menu whose picture was ONLY posted after people flocked saying the roster was fake because it lacked them.
14) The lack of the other 5 characters.
15) The choices of the Brawl stages that return (Mushroomy Kingdom... really? It seems like an odd choice when the 3D Land/World stage does the same gimmick so easily).
16) The icon for "Duck Hunt" is suspiciously MUCH clearer than all the other blurry bits of the same picture
17) Did we ever get an explanation for the pictures of more than 4 full-character arts at once? Shouldn't that not be possible?
18) Dark Pit as a choice when Sakurai has already been getting backlash for his "Bias" to Uprising.
19) The Melee Clones were added in when it felt like there wasn't a strong enough roster in newcomers (being only Icies, Mr. G&W, Marth, Peach, Bowser, Mewtwo and Zelda/Sheik, being 7 or 8 depending on your opinion either way). With us having at least 14 newcomer "slots, and 16 total with the only clone being Lucina, assuming Bowser Jr. and Shulk are in with the evidence given, who all are truly unique and play well, I don't see the same reasoning for Clone Padding. Lucas and Wolf in Brawl were semi-clones or better, and were VERY requested characters. Toon Link spiritually replaced :younglinkmelee: after WW, and I believe Phantom Hourglass was out as well. Also, Toon Link COULD be applied to games like Minish Cap and Four Swords (Adventures). It just REALLY seems weird.
20) Sakurai said that Lucina was LUCKY to move from Alternative Costume to a Playable Character. Is it that lucky if lightning strikes thrice in the same place?
21) Why would the ESRB be shown more than just footage of the most violent characters, "skimpy" women, and those with the most "mature" weaponry and the matching trophies?
22) I know this is probably personal, but Duck Hunt Dog was known for being a malicious assistant who was one of gaming's oldest a-holes. Why would he looks so... cutesy and Disney-esque with LIVING ducks when even the character name is Duck HUNT? It just... seems odd.
23) We've been getting various parts of this from various people, with some parts really contradicting.
24) One of the first leakers even said their DLC list was fake and they said it just to mess with people. WHEN YOUR LEAKER ADMITS THAT THEY WERE MESSING WITH YOU OVER ONE THING, DOESN'T THAT MAKE THEIR RELIABILITY QUESTIONABLE?
25) Why would DLC be known already? Look at how long it took and is taking for MK8, which is the closest comparison we have.
26) Why would anyone from the ESRB know it, when it'd be in the budding parts of development as the final stamps of approval are being put on the various final products as is?
27) Am I the only one who feels like if they had more characters in mind and/or in work to the point they could be said to be in a future DLC... what would stop Sakurai from pushing back the deadline a bit for them? Look at how long Brawl's delays took it.
28) SHULK, WHY ARE YOU SHARING TWO SPECIALS WITH MARTH WHEN YOU HAVE SO MUCH BIGGER POTENTIAL?! YOU ARE THE ONLY CHARACTER OF YOUR FRANCHISE AND NOW PEOPLE ARE GOING TO THINK YOU'RE FROM A FIRE EMBLEM SPINOFF!!!! Rant over.

There are many minor aspects. A number of them could be called straw-grasping. But doesn't the sum of them get a foot in the door for doubt?
Most of those "Minor Aspects" are just plain wrong though. I don't have time to go over them, but the Wario one in particular bothers me. They later showed his render. THE PUPIL IS THERE!

By the way, Fox's background color changing actually HELPS the leak, because his background color matches his color on the digital purchase card, showing they changed it to match the leak after E3.

Last edited:

ElPanandero

Smash Lord
NNID
ElPanandero
We don't accept it because we think it's hard for a troll to go this far, we think it's real because there's no way to create a mod that copies the physics and art style of Smash3DS, a completely unique rig of Bowser Junior (and two animations means very little devlopmentally as Mac and Falcon have alreayd been shown to have similar animations, as well as several other characters who share 1 or 2 simialr traits) and a completely rehashed Bowser, with upright movement and modified smash4 moveset. I think it's literally impossible to create a brawl mod for this things.

~Krystal~

True American Heroine
That fact that the video was removed is not material in the slightest, Nintendo is practically obligated to remove fake game-play footage. If you could please explain why that entails that the video is real, I would be VERY interested in hearing your reason. I have the sneaking suspicion that you are going to assert that it implies that Nintendo does not want people to see the video. To which I would reply, "you don't say!"
I would ask you why Nintendo is obligated to remove fake gameplay footage. What incentive is there to prevent the fans from seeing these types of videos? I don't think I've ever heard of a case where a fake gameplay video was taken down and I would like to hear an example.

This fake was uploaded on April. It's probably a lot older than the date it was brought on this channel and yet here it stands, hosting falsified gameplay footage of Chorus Kids, albeit not as professionally made as the videos we saw with Bowser Jr. and Shulk:

Other than the aforementioned animations during the video... there were certain aspects of the primary leak like Ness' shirt, Shulk's borrowed position (which is reasonable, but odd). Basically, a lot of nitpick details such as the absence of names, horrible positioning, Wario's eye, etc. The discrepancies that convince me pertain to some of the trophy descriptions. The grammar is not what one would expect out of a professional.
I'll go so far as to agree that the CSS looks horrid and that Ness is blatantly missing a stripe on his shirt (probably the biggest thing going against the CSS imo), but the trophy descriptions aren't necessarily indicative of fabricated leaks. Translations have lead to worse errors in the past and in final builds that were released to the public. Even professionals have shown they're prone to making the kinds of errors that stand out. They're still humans, and out of however many trophies (approaching 700 on the 3DS alone), it only becomes easier for something to fall through the cracks.

I see a lot of minor complaints about the positioning of the characters and I had these concerns myself, but it's important to remember that this is possibly not the complete roster. At one point, Brawl's CSS looked like this:

Last edited:

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
DEAR LORD YES!!! I knew there had to be a Zelda newcomer, all I hope know is that this is real.
If it's real, then Impa's eyes apparently exploded in size.

Also, the game is unable to do proper math.

Last edited:

Gene

You're a vegetable
NNID
Fairlight92
3DS FC
3411-0266-8945
DEAR LORD YES!!! I knew there had to be a Zelda newcomer, all I hope know is that this is real.
Wolf's design looks properly inspired by his actual Assault and Command look going by his outfit design. That pic also doesn't match up to any of his render art from Assault and Command and his posture is angled. Wolf's art style in the pic looks like it matches with the art direction of the game. Same goes with Impa. So her eyes look bigger, well so does Captain Falcon's everything. Characters get minor design changes and it's not like this game is canon.

D

Deleted member

Name of original video uploader "Izat True" is suspicious.
Claim of ERSB copy (Assuming this is the same leaker as the photos.) as ERSB only watches.

Dunno if there were any counter claims to either of these, but yeah. Could be possible that not all the pictures are true.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Also, the trophies having errors isn't anything new either.

Melee and Brawl trophies also had errors too. Some more painfully obvious then others, like Wobbuffet apparently debuting in Pokemon Red/Blue and the inconsistency with Lyn's age.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom