• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
As for IC's, they've been starters twice now. If they're not starters again, I think they're cut. Wolf is still a perfectly valid candidate, though.
I feel the same way, to a degree.
There is the chance they decided to change them to unlockable.

The reasoning being all of the new characters now becoming starter characters. If the roster is around 55 characters, there aren't many secret characters, which I think is what they are aiming for. Obviously, that would require making some previously starter characters secret. I think this is what happened to Ness and Captain Falcon in Brawl.

Plain Yogurt

Smash Ace
Unfortunately I think IC and Lucas are blatantly out. Wolf is the one member of those three I think may actually be back. For the others I can guess two of them, but I'd rather not do so for the rest. A DK newcomer and Ridley. Maybe Mewtwo coming back as well, its a punch in the face (not a slap) to get Dr. Mario back and not Mewtwo, frankly. Wolf I'm 50/50 on, but he's the one character out of the supposedly cut characters I think may not be cut after all. Ness is way out of position for Lucas to be a valid candidate, though. Little Mac and Game and Watch might possibly be moved, but I find it highly unlikely Ness will get moved UP. Rather, Ness should've been up there instead of Little Mac if Lucas was still in.

As for IC's, they've been starters twice now. If they're not starters again, I think they're cut. Wolf is still a perfectly valid candidate, though.

EDIT: As for DLC, I do think its perfectly valid and completely possible, but I HIGHLY doubt DLC will "fill in" blank slots. If anything they'll add new slots or make them selectable through a different means.
Most of this positioning seems borked anyways though. Regardless if there are five more slots or not, why is Shulk randomly squashed between the clones and the 3rd parties? If Yoshi is still considered his own series, why is he smack dab in the middle of the Mario characters?

And I dunno, assuming they're sticking to the whole "series sitting next to each other thing" (though Yoshi and the clones makes that weird already) Lucas and ICs still have room IF and only if we either have another Star Fox or Pokemon character. If say, Wolf and Mewtwo were added, that would move the NES retro reps to the next row, pushing one of the clones to the bottom. Sticking ICs next the to the NES retros and Lucas next to Ness would then push the other two clones to the bottom, keeping them together. This would leave the bottom row with one more slot. Of course, if we DON'T have another Pokemon/Star Fox rep then yes they're pretty much screwed unless the screen warps some characters around.

Nu~

Smash Dreamer
U.S., Maryland (Eastern Time, UTC - 5hrs)
NNID
EquinoXYZ
Definitely the pacman confirmation. the hype was unreal, after being mocked so heavily by the smash community too. the feels in the pacman thread were through the roof.

it was a moment to cherish forever

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Definitely the pacman confirmation. the hype was unreal, after being mocked so heavily by the smash community too. the feels in the pacman thread were through the roof.
I'm sorry in hindsight.
Of course I only detracted Godawfully Adventures Pac-Man/Spongebob and not good old Arcade Pacman, so I guess I don't need to apologize.

Morbi

Scavenger
On a different topic, what is your most cherished memory regarding Smash speculation in this forum?
It is too difficult to decide between Toon Link's confirmation or solo-Charizard's confirmation. Rosalina's reveal comes to mind as well, after so many doubters. Robin's reveal was great, but I was one of the only people that was not really surprised as I already predicted that it would happen for the entire month before her reveal.

#Opportunitytolistmyaccomplishmentsregardingspeculation

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Rosalina's reveal was what really made me say, alright, I am going to start predicting the roster.
It was the first real surprising character I actually wanted really badly.

This is my very first roster, all the way back in December:

firstroster.png

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
In my immediate memory:

Probably this. Everyone wins! Except Sal Romano. (Well, I mean, and @Opossum, I didn't mean to exclude you bro)
This is basically all for me. Unless we get a confirmation of K. Rool or Isaac (EDIT: well, maybe Ridley as well, but not he actually looks incredibly likely, K. Rool and Isaac are questionable like Robin), it won't happen for me again. I didn't actively start predicting characters until Rosalina, and even then I didn't share my thoughts much until Greninja, about a month after that trailer I joined Smashboards (though I lurked starting shortly after the Smash Direct).

Last edited:

wizardto1

Smash Lord
NNID
waddledee3
3DS FC
1676-4166-2291
In all honestly, Wolf is the only veteran left not on the leaked CSS that has a chance since the CSS is not complete and while the other 3 should have been there earlier, Wolf was the last character unlocked in Brawl so he still has a chance.

ElPanandero

Smash Lord
NNID
ElPanandero
You know what would be cool, in my opinion?
If we didn't get Ivysaur and Squirtle back...BUT.
We got Blastoise as a Bowser semi-clone, and Venusaur as a Ivysaur clone.

Eh? EH?
I'd be down for this. I have a Blastoise texture hack over Bowser in PM and it's literally the most fun I have playing Bowser. Change Bowser Breath to Hydro Pump and his Down B to body slam and we're set.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
In all honestly, Wolf is the only veteran left not on the leaked CSS that has a chance since the CSS is not complete and while the other 3 should have been there earlier, Wolf was the last character unlocked in Brawl so he still has a chance.
It could even be argued that Wolf was decloned and may appear in a still possible hypothetical Villains trailer.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
It could even be argued that Wolf was decloned and may appear in a still possible hypothetical Villains trailer.
That notion depends entirely on whether or not any characters besides newcomers already are on the website are unlockable. If they are, I'd say Ice Climbers have an even bigger chance.

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
On a different topic, what is your most cherished memory regarding Smash speculation in this forum?
Seeing Paper Mario on rosters after the stage reveal. That reveal brought back hope for us supporters. I was really hoping to see him this time. :glare:

Last edited:

ElPanandero

Smash Lord
NNID
ElPanandero
My biggest moment was the like week after Gamatsu was proven fake and we got to speculate again instead of "Gamatsu said that character isn't it, gtfo" then we got a real true leak and speculation got sad again

Burruni

Smash Hero
That notion depends entirely on whether or not any characters besides newcomers already are on the website are unlockable. If they are, I'd say Ice Climbers have an even bigger chance.
Of the characters, newcomers and veterans alike that are confirmed by Sakurai, I think there are some clear characters who will be unlockable.

Veterans: :4falcon:, :4marth:or:4myfriends: because I don't see both being starters, :4lucario:, :4metaknight: just with how hush-hush he was, :4tlink:, :4sonic:, and one of the two eternally-unlockables... :4luigi:.

Newcomers: :4mii:, :4pacman:, :rosalina:, :4robinm::4robinf:, and :4lucina: And just to add as a extra detail, I see Bowser Jr. and Shulk both being unlockable.

Edit: I know :4megaman: will PROBABLY be unlockable, being a third party character... but for some reason I feel he'll be a starter.

Last edited:

CoolEric258

Smash Cadet
I think the Gematsu leak post-E3. I didn't know about it until I saw it on another forum, and that looked so legit, and later I lurked here, and then became a member. And seeing the Gematsu leak being disconfirmed and it giving a shockwave to the whole community was pretty cool.

Burruni

Smash Hero
Genuinely, it was about every moment before this ESRB "Leak."

Even when Gematsu was abound, at no point was it the end-all to be-all. I always said that there'd be at least 2 newcomers outside of it. The addition of Lucina had me regain hope of Lucas and Wolf for a 4x13 from my 4x12.

This leak I hate because there's a lot of negative parts (Three BIG cuts) for the one newcomer most didn't expect (Bowser Jr.), two clones that should've stuck as alts, and one newcomer that still has yet to make me feel anything optimistic for ("Duck Hunt"). Alongside of a number of just... really odd design choices (for one, how utterly bland the CSS is considering Sakurai's wife as always been in charge of them).

Plus a lot of the stages... euch.

Honestly, of it all once I started speculating... I'm torn between Megaman, Rosalina, and Palutena.

Burruni

Smash Hero
Fake. Lucario should have 34 KOs
And that's assuming Lucario has only gotten KO's on those 6 characters. And that only those 4 have gotten KOs on Sheik.

Also, wouldn't Impa be down in the roster overall listing like Dr. Mario, Dark Pit, and Lucina? Seems on she'd be in the listing before Toon Link or Ganondorf.

Last edited:

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
10 + 9 + 5 + 5 +3 +2 = 34 not 33. So yeah, the leaker is not good at math.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
I really want this to be real, but i'm calling fake on this one. Those models look kinda off in comparison to the rest.
This. I really wish it were real, but...
1. Why is Wolf black? You could say it's his black alt from Brawl, but these are character categories, there's no way he would be colored like that.
2. Impa's eyes are the size of dinnerplates.
3. Lucario should have one less KO.

Weeman

Smash Crusader
This. I really wish it were real, but...
1. Why is Wolf black? You could say it's his black alt from Brawl, but these are character categories, there's no way he would be colored like that.
2. Impa's eyes are the size of dinnerplates.
3. Lucario should have one less KO.
Well, Wolf i guess could be because of bad lighting, but Impa's aesthetics are not of my liking either :chuckle:.
Also i just saw Famitsu scan of N's castle, wich pretty much further confirms the leak.

Morbi

Scavenger
It was confirmed the moment I saw gameplay footage. I can't believe there are people still thinking it's an elaborate ruse.
I believe it is an elaborate ruse. I am here to inform you that videos can be faked, if not... I had better start believing in Sasquatch. There are videos of that and what I can discern from Smashboards at the moment is that videos are impossible to fake.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
As soon as I laid my eyes on that picture, the words "blatantly" and "fake" came to mind.
I trust your opinion, Cliff.
Really, I do.

It was confirmed the moment I saw gameplay footage. I can't believe there are people still thinking it's an elaborate ruse.
I think it's real, but I am not denying it could be fake. We have had more elaborate fakes before.
Still, that Bowser Jr...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom