• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
So you don't care for any character at this point, and Impa makes it or breaks it for you? :awesome:
All am hoping for now is Mewtwo / Dixie / Impa.

If they don't happen, this roster deserves to be pooped on.

~Krystal~

True American Heroine
Without Toon Zelda, this roster will be the laughing stock of the fighting game community.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
THAT'S A STRANGE WAY TO SPELL IMPA!

No seriously, Toon Zelda would literally nail the coffin of this already terrible roster. Please give me Gray Pit instead.

~Krystal~

True American Heroine
THAT'S A STRANGE WAY TO SPELL IMPA!

No seriously, Toon Zelda would literally nail the coffin of this already terrible roster. Please give me Gray Pit instead.
You don't like Toon Zelda? :crying:
What about Toon Ganondorf? Surely you could warm up to him. Sword using Ganondorf. Let that sink in.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
You're not buying the games regardless, so why the desperation?
Because I might still play the games one day. Eventually. Or if it's real good, I might end up robbing someone from their copy. See, options. Options are very good to have.
You don't like Toon Zelda? :crying:
What about Toon Ganondorf? Surely you could warm up to him. Sword using Ganondorf. Let that sink in.
Toon Ganondorf is good, but he'll be a clone of a clone. It's not that Toon Zelda would be bad, it's more that I hate the idea of having 3 playable versions of Zelda. Toon Zelda might very well be the only competitively viable Zelda that will ever excist in Smash, so in that aspect she's good.

Last edited:

Charkoaler

Smash Rookie
NNID
charkoaler
3DS FC
3969-5051-8391
People saying how bad the roster would be if their favorites don't get in. I didn't get Waluigi or Ghirahim or Skull Kid and I'm not complaining about how bad the roster is. But look at the roster as it is, this is the most unique set of characters we've had, there are clones yes but each installment has clones. We should all be thankful that in this installment we actually got characters like Little Mac and Pacman, Megaman alone we should be grateful for!
Sorry for the small rant i'm not targetting anyone in specific i'm just seeing a lot of put down

Asteiri

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
3239-4598-6259
I NO REALLY THINK SO!

Now gimme Impa.
Pretty sure even if Impa made it in she'd be an assist trophy like both of these characters. There's /probably/ good reasoning for that as well.

Hope for some of these characters is like me hoping original Spyro the Dragon will make it in. It just won't happen man.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Pretty sure even if Impa made it in she'd be an assist trophy like both of these characters.
Then she wouldn't be "making it in".
And Impa has no reason to be an AT. She could be an easy clone of Sheik. That's part of her Smash following right there.

Including her as an AT would be pointless, really.

~Krystal~

True American Heroine
If the production values are good enough, I can look the other way for a clone character. It's a small thing, but I think Lucina having her Awakening voice actress in game is pretty cool.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Pretty sure even if Impa made it in she'd be an assist trophy like both of these characters. There's /probably/ good reasoning for that as well.

Hope for some of these characters is like me hoping original Spyro the Dragon will make it in. It just won't happen man.
Actually, I agree with Kenith. Impa doesn't do enough differently to warrant her being an Assist Trophy. The only way Impa is an AT is if its some sort of "Sages" AT and using all the OOT Sages to perform some sort of attack. Which honestly would make a lot of sense as Impa's final smash as well.

Morbi

Scavenger
People saying how bad the roster would be if their favorites don't get in. I didn't get Waluigi or Ghirahim or Skull Kid and I'm not complaining about how bad the roster is. But look at the roster as it is, this is the most unique set of characters we've had, there are clones yes but each installment has clones. We should all be thankful that in this installment we actually got characters like Little Mac and Pacman, Megaman alone we should be grateful for!
Sorry for the small rant i'm not targetting anyone in specific i'm just seeing a lot of put down
People are saying that this alleged roster is bad?! It has Dark Pit and Dr. Mario on it... this is the best roster in Smash history! But seriously, I have seen more people praising the roster than bashing it to be honest.

NickerBocker

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2492-4251-5054
Meh, the roster was pretty good so far I thought, except for the obvious missing villains. Instead, we got plenty of women because there was a shortage. Next game, there's a villain shortage, so there is no excuse to exclude K Rool, Ridley and Mewtwo :D

No seriously, I was pretty stoked for Little Mac, Robin and Megaman. I can't really complain because those are the new characters I will probably be playing the most. K Rool would have been the icing on the cake, and that's the only realistic addition other than maybe Paper Mario that could have made the game that much better for me.

The only complaint I have is the lack of villains being added. A lot of people, including myself, are attracted to Smash Bros because villains are typically not playable in their canon games with their powers. Playing as Ganondorf and Bowser in Melee for the first time was a pretty interesting experience, and i am certain many share that opinion with me.

Last edited:

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
That fact that the video was removed is not material in the slightest, Nintendo is practically obligated to remove fake game-play footage. If you could please explain why that entails that the video is real, I would be VERY interested in hearing your reason. I have the sneaking suspicion that you are going to assert that it implies that Nintendo does not want people to see the video. To which I would reply, "you don't say!"

Other than the aforementioned animations during the video... there were certain aspects of the primary leak like Ness' shirt, Shulk's borrowed position (which is reasonable, but odd). Basically, a lot of nitpick details such as the absence of names, horrible positioning, Wario's eye, etc. The discrepancies that convince me pertain to some of the trophy descriptions. The grammar is not what one would expect out of a professional.
I'd love to join into this skepticism debate!
Sure, the videos could be real! Yet I think the behavior of the leak itself needs to be watched, as well, which has been quite suspect as a whole from the get go.

The thing we keep hearing is that the renders could have been a game mod- yet the even easier thing to understand is that, actually, all they needed to be were a video, as this was not a played game. As far as I'm concerned, it could have been a well constructed thesis for some senior at SVA or MICA. The audience for SSB is huge, let us not forget that some of this information, while easily plausible is not at all a guarantee.

Sakurai is confirming pieces of it for now. I would easily bet he is confirming enough to make us fall for the whole thing, until he throws us a huge wild card.
I'd also believe the leak itself was from him.
I'd believe he planned on a leak at least.

Anything is possible. Let us be open minded.

Charkoaler

Smash Rookie
NNID
charkoaler
3DS FC
3969-5051-8391
People are saying that this alleged roster is bad?! It has Dark Pit and Dr. Mario on it... this is the best roster in Smash history! But seriously, I have seen more people praising the roster than bashing it to be honest.
It definitly deserves the praise, maybe all the negative is just sticking out to me. You're totally right about the majority being grateful though

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
The first letter of each menu of the PoTD spells eshop, and I can't connect to it. Foreshadowing?

epicgordan

Smash Ace
Guys, AllStar is a fraud. He simply took the other leaked images, posted them on 4Chan, and claimed them as his own. The guy is only doing this for a brief period of fame for "being a part" of the leaked images. He is no different than Motherfking leaker. Don't believe their lies.

Though it is interesting tonight's potd. Not just because the customizable menu was leaked by the renders, but due to the suggesting that the Mii Fighters might--might, mind you--wind up taking up three roster slots instead of one after all. I personally doubt it, but it wouldn't surprise me in the least.

And when is Sakurai going to show us a bloody trailer?

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Guys, AllStar is a fraud. He simply took the other leaked images, posted them on 4Chan, and claimed them as his own. The guy is only doing this for a brief period of fame for "being a part" of the leaked images. He is no different than Motherfking leaker. Don't believe their lies.

Though it is interesting tonight's potd. Not just because the customizable menu was leaked by the renders, but due to the suggesting that the Mii Fighters might--might, mind you--wind up taking up three roster slots instead of one after all. I personally doubt it, but it wouldn't surprise me in the least.

And when is Sakurai going to show us a bloody trailer?
All-Star who? Which "leak" is this? I'm trying to figure it out.

As for tongiht's Pic of the DAy, I have no idea what you're getting at. If anything the leak seems to indicate that Mii's are added through a completely different menu and aren't on the roster at all. That would certainly look better than turning Customizations "Off" and suddenly three slots vanish from the roster.

~Krystal~

True American Heroine
I expected AllStar to give us the deets. I'm kinda glad I missed his flimsy presentation, although I kind of figured something was up when a self-proclaimed troll on gamefaqs announced he would be posting on 4chan last night.

Last edited:

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
I wished that Impa and Wolf leak was real.
But it was screwed out by my least favorite things: Weirdly large eyes, bad tans, and MATH.

Still, I don't see any reason why, if this is truly the starting roster and then some, that Lucas and Wolf are in the full roster.
Mainly because they are both popular, and semi-clones. Captain Falcon was revealed pre-release, so I imagine Ness will be too. So Lucas could be a secret character. And Wolf already was a secret character, the last one, pretty much, so...

Overall, since they're both semi-clones somewhat inconsequential to the roster, I don't see why they're excluded. Ice Climbers, on the other hand, I am starting to be worried about. However, unlike Lucas and Wolf, I can see them being DLC, since they represent an entire franchise and are pretty popular.

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
You know, Earthbounds 20th anniversary was yesterday. I know Sakurai doesn't necessarily follow anniversaries but that was a big big one. If there was an Earthbound starter character yesterday would have been the day to show them off.

It makes me think there really is only one Earthbound rep and Lucas is gone.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
You know, Earthbounds 20th anniversary was yesterday. I know Sakurai doesn't necessarily follow anniversaries but that was a big big one. If there was an Earthbound starter character yesterday would have been the day to show them off.
It makes me think there really is only one Earthbound rep and Lucas is gone.
That is rather presumptuous, wouldn't you say?
Perhaps Ness is being saved for a Shulk trailer along with Mewtwo.

Not everyone knows Shulk, but everyone knows Mewtwo and Ness, which is why that's a good fit.

~Krystal~

True American Heroine

Not everyone knows Shulk, but everyone knows Mewtwo and Ness, which is why that's a good fit.
Had you said this in the 90s, I would of given you a confused look. It's crazy to think how recognizable he's become. He went from being literally who to known by millions of people.

Masonomace

Yeah Shulk, get stuck in!
NNID
Masonomace
AND an area of N's castle that we hadn't seen before, wich was on the stage screen as well.
What the fest, Mysterious Ninja, is his Final Smash name???. . .Fool that I'm calling it Night Slash, like my inner fan-boy-ism would cry out for me. But even then, it mixes Ninja qualities with Water, & the moon setting with the pitch-black dark night. . .Nope it's still Night Slash.:troll:

For the general topics(?) I was optimistic to believe Ness would get some kind of reveal via PotD due to his 20 year Life Anniversary for his first introduction to Mother, though Ninten looks awfully familiar to Ness & he was first so.

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero

Of course it is....but the majority of our speculation often ends up based on presumptions.

All I'm saying is that it was Earthbound's 20th anniversary, it wasn't some random milestone nobody cares about.

~Krystal~

True American Heroine
What the fest, Mysterious Ninja, is his Final Smash name???. . .Fool that I'm calling it Night Slash, like my inner fan-boy-ism would cry out for me. But even then, it mixes Ninja qualities with Water, & the moon setting with the pitch-black dark night. . .Nope it's still Night Slash.:troll:

For the general topics(?) I was optimistic to believe Ness would get some kind of reveal via PotD due to his 20 year Life Anniversary for his first introduction to Mother, though Ninten looks awfully familiar to Ness & he was first so.
Sakurai is in the zone right now releasing all these bomb ass menus. I knew wasn't going to break his stride for a character reveal. :yeahboi:

Masonomace

Yeah Shulk, get stuck in!
NNID
Masonomace
Sakurai is in the zone right now releasing all these bomb *** menus. I knew wasn't going to break his stride for a character reveal. :yeahboi:
Zone?. . .Chemical Plant Zone? I will definitely walk his line now.:denzel:
But seriously. . .I'm starving for a character reveal via PotD and / or uneggspected announcement of a direct trailer of revealing.:shades:

~Krystal~

True American Heroine
Zone?. . .Chemical Plant Zone? I will definitely walk his line now.:denzel:
But seriously. . .I'm starving for a character reveal via PotD and / or uneggspected announcement of a direct trailer of revealing.:shades:
You and me both, and might I say your Yoshi puns are way better than my Krystal ones?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom