• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
You can see his popularity here. Sure, there are the fake people who only jumped on the bandwagon because of Gematsu, however that doesn't change the fact that he's a pretty popular pick. He never had bad chances. Gematsu had nothing to do with it.
To be fair, people have viewed Shulk as much more likely, and often as an inevitability, ever since the Gematsu leak. Even after the reveal of Robin and Lucina, people still view Shulk as one of the single most likely newcomers. I think the problem is that, despite Shulk having good credentials to make it into Smash, there isn't a lot of substantial evidence that would suggest that he's in, yet he's still treated like a shoo-in by many. I think that would bother some people.

Burruni

Smash Hero
What makes everyone consider Shulk a shoo-in? To my knowledge, we haven't seen any Xenoblade content in Smash yet nor can I think of any hints towards his inclusion. I'm not saying that he's unlikely or anything as I think he'll be playable, but I don't think he's as likely as many are assuming.
I'm going to give you the quick list:
1) His game was wildly popular among fans and critics, some calling it the "rebirth of JRPGs." Like... greater than Mother-tier love.
2) Unlike things such as Mother 3, fan demand and collaboration was able to get the game to have a western release which sold VERY well, despite limited copies being released due to poor predicting of western popularity.
3) Moveset potential, much beyond "just another swordsman." Visit the Shulk Thread for that.
4) One of the most desired characters from the Japanese polls.
5) Sakurai tweeting a picture of a model of the Monado, the main weapon that most of the story revolves around.
6) Monolith Soft retweeting some updates about Sm4sh (including the reveal trailer that ended up being Robin/Lucina, people believed it being Monado Monday)
7) The large PR amount for Xenoblade Chronicles X, meaning that Nintendo as a whole has big hopes for the series as it moves on.
8) The english VA for Shulk saying he was doing "big work" for this year but won't say until later in fear of "my balls being cut off," as he jokingly put it.
9) The overall track record of Gematsu which had some inside information at some point of time. Unlike Chrom or Chorus Kids, there is little to no competition for a character to represent the game/series that would be as big as Shulk.
I don't want to say a "shoo-in." However, I say Shulk is one of the most likely newcomers from those often discussed.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
To be fair, people have viewed Shulk as much more likely, and often as an inevitability, ever since the Gematsu leak. Even after the reveal of Robin and Lucina, people still view Shulk as one of the single most likely newcomers. I think the problem is that, despite Shulk having good credentials to make it into Smash, there isn't a lot of substantial evidence that would suggest that he's in, yet he's still treated like a shoo-in by many. I think that would bother some people.
If Sakurai revealed something Xenoblade Chronicles that wasn't Shulk, it would pretty much automatically assumed that he would be playable in the game. By a LOT of people. Even a little bit of evidence would be giving a mile in my honest opinion.

Yes, more people thought he was for sure in the game with Gematsu. But there was and still is a sizable fanbase. I just think the prospect of Gematsu having issues somehow lowering Shulk's chances is not entirely accurate, especially because we really don't know for sure if Gematsu is dead in the water.

NNID
Nightdazer
3DS FC
0731-4784-1465
I'm not so sure about Shulk or Chorus Kids at this point....
I used to have so much faith in Gematsu, but now they're starting to seem more...odd-ballish....should I say?

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
If Sakurai revealed something Xenoblade Chronicles that wasn't Shulk, it would pretty much automatically assumed that he would be playable in the game. By a LOT of people. Even a little bit of evidence would be giving a mile in my honest opinion.

Yes, more people thought he was for sure in the game with Gematsu. But there was and still is a sizable fanbase. I just think the prospect of Gematsu having issues somehow lowering Shulk's chances is not entirely accurate, especially because we really don't know for sure if Gematsu is dead in the water.
I understand that if Shulk is in the game, then they obviously can't actually reveal any content from that game without risking spoiling the surprise. However, that doesn't change the fact that there is no such evidence available, and yet there are still those out there that treat Shulk like a shoo-in despite the lack of substantial evidence.

I'm not saying Shulk is unlikely (on the contrary, I think he's pretty likely and will probably be playable), but I just don't think he's deserving of the title of "shoo-in" that so many give him.

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I never wanted to believe Gematsu, but then the Mii and Pac Man reveal happened. Two characters I absolutely loathed as ideas for playable characters. So I just went along with it, expecting to be dissapointed in the final roster and then BOOOOOOM! Robin, a character I also didn't like prior to his reveal, got revealed and got me hyped as **** again. Lucina also made me hope for more characters than I thought of. And suddenly everything can happen again.

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
I understand that if Shulk is in the game, then they obviously can't actually reveal any content from that game without risking spoiling the surprise. However, that doesn't change the fact that there is no such evidence available, and yet there are still those out there that treat Shulk like a shoo-in despite the lack of substantial evidence.

I'm not saying Shulk is unlikely (on the contrary, I think he's pretty likely and will probably be playable), but I just don't think he's deserved the title of "shoo-in" that so many give him.
We're on the same page.
Team Diddy.

But actually, I'd love for Shulk not to be in
I'm not going to hope he's not in, but I also do not care to see his inclusion. Xenoblade doesn't interest me in the slightest, nor does Shulk. In my point of view, he'd be a character that everyone but me wants, so I could live with that.
Yeah, keep Shulk in the AT section.
Personally, this is how I would like to see Shulk represented.

Last edited:

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
I never wanted to believe Gematsu, but then the Mii and Pac Man reveal happened. Two characters I absolutely loathed as ideas for playable characters. So I just went along with it, expecting to be dissapointed in the final roster and then BOOOOOOM! Robin, a character I also didn't like prior to his reveal, got revealed and got me hyped as **** again. Lucina also made me hope for more characters than I thought of. And suddenly everything can happen again.
Robin got you hyped? I thought Chrom was the character you were most excited for?

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Robin got you hyped? I thought Chrom was the character you were most excited for?
Out of all the possible Gematsu characters, I found Chrom the most interessting.

That has to tell you SOMETHING about how much I didn't want that scenario to happen.

But no, screw Chrom. Can't handle the power of Falcon Punch? Then you better stay DA FUQ out of Smash. :4falcon:

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
Honestly Isaac has more going for him than Shulk does.

AKA: Isaac was previously an assist but hasn't been shown in that role, Shulk has pretty much nothing.

I really would rather Isaac but if Shulk did get in I'd go with it.

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
Out of all the possible Gematsu characters, I found Chrom the most interessting.

That has to tell you SOMETHING about how much I didn't want that scenario to happen.

But no, screw Chrom. Can't handle the power of Falcon Punch? Then you better stay DA FUQ out of Smash. :4falcon:
That's how I felt, out of all the Gematsu characters, he was my favorite. I dislike the rest, except the vague "X/Y Pokémon." So glad we received Robin instead. That was my ideal FE character. And my hope for Paper Mario rose, and then it rose even more after the stage reveal.

ElPanandero

Smash Lord
NNID
ElPanandero
I'm not going to hope he's not in, but I also do not care to see his inclusion. Xenoblade doesn't interest me in the slightest, nor does Shulk. In my point of view, he'd be a character that everyone but me wants, so I could live with that.
I guess I wouldn't be mad to see him in, since everyone else likes him, but if I'm being totally selfish and wanting to get the most of the game for myself, I'd want 95% of other characters in over him. I guess either way I'll be satisfied

Masonomace

Yeah Shulk, get stuck in!
NNID
Masonomace
I'm late, but Shulk's 'likeliness' at this point looks decent. No substantial evidence, but the idea of Shulk playable is decent to me.

Last edited:

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
Sure looks like it. :troll:
It was meant in the same way as this post:
I hope you're not implying that we're falsely assuming that Shulk is not a shoo-in.
And my previous message:
Honestly Isaac has more going for him than Shulk does.

AKA: Isaac was previously an assist but hasn't been shown in that role, Shulk has pretty much nothing.

I really would rather Isaac but if Shulk did get in I'd go with it.
There isn't really any way to think that I thought Shulk was a shoo in, unless you weren't paying attention.

Didn't really read the shoo-in part, it was the "Isaac has more things going for him than Shulk" part that bothered me.
Well, yeah. All Shulk has is that he's a new IP, while there's a lot more stuff for Isaac.

Sorry I can't explain more, I have to go somewhere for a couple hours.

Last edited:

NickerBocker

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2492-4251-5054
The way I see it, Shulk and Isaac are pretty similar in chance of inclusion. Isaac has more concrete evidence for his inclusion, while Shulk's evidence are good indicators and not necessarily substantial. Regardless, I like both characters and would be happy to see one or both of them in the game.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
Shulk is really likely because of Gematsu.

But for some reason, 90% right = 100% wrong.

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
The way I see it, Shulk and Isaac are pretty similar in chance of inclusion. Isaac has more concrete evidence for his inclusion, while Shulk's evidence are good indicators and not necessarily substantial.
100% agree. Within Smash, Issac actually has more concrete evidence. But I think Shulk will be playable before Issac.

Morbi

Scavenger
I'm late, but Shulk's 'likeliness' at this point looks decent. No substantial evidence, but the idea of Shulk playable is decent to me.
Shulk is likely with, and I quote, "no substantial evidence." Dark Pit on the other hand, is a costume, despite "substantial evidence" that indicates something more than a glorified palette swap.

Logic, everyone interprets it differently...
:urg:

Weeman

Smash Crusader
Once again, False sense making the most... sense, and everyone else just ranting about a character they like/dislike, as for his chances, i think he still has pretty decent ones, but not nearly as much as when Gematsu was a (likely) thing.

Last edited:

ihskeyp

Smash Ace
Shulk is really likely because of Gematsu.

But for some reason, 90% right = 100% wrong.
Shulk is likely because he was in a leak that was proven incorrect.

Yeah, I bet the first leak was legit, the second one was made up of clear guesses (I mean, a x/y Pokemon and Palutena were pretty clear) and guessed the obvious Chrom but was proven wrong.

Last edited:

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
The way I see it, Shulk and Isaac are pretty similar in chance of inclusion. Isaac has more concrete evidence for his inclusion, while Shulk's evidence are good indicators and not necessarily substantial. Regardless, I like both characters and would be happy to see one or both of them in the game.
Isaac has zero evidence, why Shulk at worst at least has the Adam Howden thing to consider.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Once again, False Sense making the most... sense, and everyone else just ranting about a character they like/dislike, as for his chances, i think he still has pretty decent ones, but not nearly as much as when Gematsu was a (likely) thing.
I know, my name is amazing.

Anyway, I agree with you. Shulk has pretty good chances; I'd say he's about as likely as a character can be with no substantial evidence in his favor, since he has a lot of good reasons to be included and not a lot going against him. But that doesn't guarantee his inclusion.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
Shulk is likely because he was in a leak that was proven incorrect.

Yeah, I bet the first leak was legit, the second one was made up of clear guesses (I mean, a x/y Pokemon and Palutena were pretty clear) and guessed the obvious Chrom but was proven wrong.
Hindsight bias? Hindsight bias.

Seriously, Sakurai said himself that Greninja's spot was a placeholder. Didn't that raise a few alarms? Moreover, he still got two characters right in his second leak, no matter how unlikely/likely they are, and his first list should have proven he's credible enough.

Let's not be hasty in calling the leak wrong.

Last edited:

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
"Zero" is hyperbole. He has fair enough fan support from Brawl that still lasts in this game. He has yet to be confirmed as an assist trophy. That, however, is essentially it.
I don't think "fan support" counts as substantial evidence for a character's inclusion.

Weeman

Smash Crusader
"Zero" is hyperbole. He has fair enough fan support from Brawl that still lasts in this game. He has yet to be confirmed as an assist trophy. That, however, is essentially it.
If fan support was an important factor then Geno, Ridley, and K. Rool would be all in Smash.

Last edited:

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473

Seriously, Sakurai said himself that Greninja's spot was a placeholder. Didn't that raise a few alarm? Moreover, he still got two characters right in his second leak, no matter how unlikely/likely they are, and his first list should have proven his credible enough.

Well, the leak is incorrect. The leak claimed Chrom would be a playable character, but he's confirmed to be part of Robin's Final Smash. Sure we can say it's outdated or whatever other excuses out there. But it's not 100% correct, therefore making it incorrect.

Last edited:

ihskeyp

Smash Ace

Seriously, Sakurai said himself that Greninja's spot was a placeholder. Didn't that raise a few alarms? Moreover, he still got two characters right in his second leak, no matter how unlikely/likely they are, and his first list should have proven he's credible enough.

Let's not be hasty in calling a leak that guessed Chrom wrong. Ok.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom