• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
Because it specifically says "characters".

I'm a little anxious now, but I think there not being MOTHER characters at all is absurd. Therefore, I'll think that it is subject to change as more characters are announced.
I think it's absurd that we still haven't heard about so many characters in the past. I'm still shocked that we haven't seen Wario, especially after Ashley's reveal.

Scamper52596

Smash Lord
Premium

Content from this game was specifically arranged to be in Brawl.
What's your point? I specifically said that it wasn't as big a deal back when Brawl was being created because the Wii was already doing so well. The Wii U isn't doing as great as Nintendo would like, and the PS4 outsold it pretty quickly.

TeenGirlSquad

Smash Master
Um, what kind of argument is that? Just because they aren't in the boxart doesn't mean it's automatically fake, Ice Climbers weren't in the Brawl boxart either, yet they were starters in the game.
This is exactly what I'm saying, LOL. We can't glean anything about the roster, starting or otherwise, from this box.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
What's your point? I specifically said that it wasn't as big a deal back when Brawl was being created because the Wii was already doing so well. The Wii U isn't doing as great as Nintendo would like, and the PS4 outsold it pretty quickly.
You seem to think the Wii U is directly competing for sales with the PS4 and Xbox One.
It's not. If they were, the Wii U would be fighting a battle they could, unfortunately, never win.

Snake has just as much right to be in Smash 4 as he did in Brawl. In fact, I would argue he has more merit, because before Brawl, nobody wanted or expected him for Smash Bros. in any capacity. Now, he's created a fanbase within the Smash community, and a lot of people will be upset if he's gone.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
The Wii U can do fine if Smash will actually deliver.

Scamper52596

Smash Lord
Premium
You seem to think the Wii U is directly competing for sales with the PS4 and Xbox One.
It's not. If they were, the Wii U would be fighting a battle they could, unfortunately, never win.

Snake has just as much right to be in Smash 4 as he did in Brawl. In fact, I would argue he has more merit, because before Brawl, nobody wanted or expected him for Smash Bros. in any capacity. Now, he's created a fanbase within the Smash community, and a lot of people will be upset if he's gone.
I realize Nintendo does their own thing and don't consider themselves to be competing, but I still don't think they're going to include the character that everyone will play as on the 3DS version of Smash, then be inclined to purchase a PS4 to play Metal Gear Solid V instead of a Wii U to play the other version of Smash 4. Not competing doesn't necessarily mean they won't try to keep the attention on their products for people to buy. That's probably the reason they rarely release apps on the Apple store. Let's hope I'm wrong though, and that Snake is in the game.

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
What makes everyone consider Shulk a shoo-in? To my knowledge, we haven't seen any Xenoblade content in Smash yet nor can I think of any hints towards his inclusion. I'm not saying that he's unlikely or anything as I think he'll be playable, but I don't think he's as likely as many are assuming.

Scamper52596

Smash Lord
Premium
What makes everyone consider Shulk a shoo-in? To my knowledge, we haven't seen any Xenoblade content in Smash yet nor can I think of any hints towards his inclusion. I'm not saying that he's unlikely or anything as I think he'll be playable, but I don't think he's as likely as many are assuming.
He's a relatively popular character, he's marketable due to Xenoblade X coming to the Wii U, he has a unique move set potential. The guy basically has everything going for him. You're right though. We shouldn't assume he's a shoo-in just yet.

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
the only thing I can think of is that he tweeted a pic of shulk's sword, which really means nothing.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
I don't know why everyone believes that Snake being in Smash means promoting a rival console. I see it as the opposite; Snake being in Smash 4 could attract Sony fans to play Smash Bros.

GunGunW

Smash Lord
NNID
GunGunW
He's a relatively popular character, he's marketable due to Xenoblade X coming to the Wii U, he has a unique move set potential. The guy basically has everything going for him. You're right though. We shouldn't assume he's a shoo-in just yet.
There's always the possibility we could get a curve ball just like we got with Fire Emblem: Awakening and get a different character from Xenoblade instead of Shulk.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I realize Nintendo does their own thing and don't consider themselves to be competing, but I still don't think they're going to include the character that everyone will play as on the 3DS version of Smash, then be inclined to purchase a PS4 to play Metal Gear Solid V instead of a Wii U to play the other version of Smash 4. Not competing doesn't necessarily mean they won't try to keep the attention on their products for people to buy. That's probably the reason they rarely release apps on the Apple store. Let's hope I'm wrong though, and that Snake is in the game.
Does not really matter if they do not consider themselves competing (which, I'd actually like a source on, because I find that a bit ridiculous and likely taken way, way, out of context) if the consumers consider them to be in competition.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Gematsu preachers who are holding strong even though Lucina and Robin debunked Shulk's likeliness HARD.

Which is funny, cause the first time I saw the POTD when Robin and Lucina where announced, the white hair of Robin made me thought it was Shulk at first, till I saw the trailer pop up.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
So why don't we have Banjo-Kazooie? :crying:
Exactly. I'm sure Microsoft would gladly allow him if it only marketed him toward their games with him...
Obviously there is more to the story of "We do not care who we market."
It is not as if anyone, ANYONE, could say that Snake is more fitting, or more Nintendo, than Banjo.

Last edited:

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
What games do you guys think the remaining unrevealed characters' pages on the official website will link to?
You know, like Peach linking to Super Mario 3D World, or Toon Link with Wind Waker HD.

My guesses...

Want to know more about Wario? Visit the official site for Game & Wario!
Want to know more about Ice Climbers? Visit the official site for NES Remix!
Want to know more about Mewtwo? Visit the official site for Pokemon X & Y!
Want to know more about Dixie Kong? Visit the official site for Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze!
Want to know more about Ganondorf? Visit the official site for Hyrule Warriors!

And finally...

Want to know more about Snake? Visit the official site for Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater 3D!

DustyPumpkin

Smash Lord
NNID
DustyPumpkin
3DS FC
4038-5990-1614
Switch FC
0550-6678-6601
So there's a JRPG about a blonde guy in his late teens-ish, who everybody and their mother seems to want in the next Super Smash Bros, His best friend is this muscular, tall, red-headed guy, who at first is the only one who sets out on his journey with him.
The protagonist’s main love interest is also a member of the party at the beginning of the game, but she has to leave the party because of reasons, which is what partially also starts the game’s main plot.
The love interest’s older brother meanwhile is far more badass than the protagonist, and becomes playable later on.
All four of them are from the same village, and both the protagonist and the love interest’s older brother can wield this super awesome ancient weapon.
Later on, the party comes across this mage girl dressing in blue/purple clothes, whose family becomes kinda important to the plot.
Oh, and then there’s this old mentor guy that the protagonist, his best friend, the love interest, and the love interest’s older brother have known for years.

Was I talking about Xenoblade or Golden Sun?

Last edited:

CJ Falcon

Smash Lord
What games do you guys think the remaining unrevealed characters' pages on the official website will link to?
You know, like Peach linking to Super Mario 3D World, or Toon Link with Wind Waker HD.

My guesses...

Want to know more about Dixie Kong? Visit the official site for Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze!

And finally...
Want to know more about Snake? Visit the official site for Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater 3D!
Want to know more about R.O.B.? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rob_the_Robot

GunGunW

Smash Lord
NNID
GunGunW

My guesses...

And finally...
I always thought it was funny how characters like Mario don't have a phrase like that; I guess it's because they figure everyone knows him already.

Charkoaler

Smash Rookie
NNID
charkoaler
3DS FC
3969-5051-8391
@Kermit the Ninja Radical. Thanks for Living~

Speaking of Kirby, anyone else think that the Potd with all 3 Kirby characters with Nightmare is foreshadowing to anything, like, another Kirby character coming soon?
Nah i just think it was just pairing them all up with Nightmare to show off all the representation that kirby has in sm4sh. I would have loved nightmare as a playable character but him as an AT is good enough for me :D

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Gematsu preachers who are holding strong even though Lucina and Robin debunked Shulk's likeliness HARD.

Which is funny, cause the first time I saw the POTD when Robin and Lucina where announced, the white hair of Robin made me thought it was Shulk at first, till I saw the trailer pop up.
Lol Diddy. This is wrong on so many levels.

~Krystal~

True American Heroine
I think Microsoft reached for Rare based on the quality FPS games they were coming out with. Sounds logical, right? Perfect Dark and GoldenEye 007 were some of the best ones ever. I don't know what went wrong, but now Rare is reduced to developing Kinect shovelware.

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
I would've totally taken N64 James Bond as a playable character in Melee. :laugh:

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Ok, I know for sure that when you said "they suck" you were referring to Microsoft, right? Right? RIGHT? :mad: you'd better have
Of course. Because of this...
I think Microsoft reached for Rare based on the quality FPS games they were coming out with. Sounds logical, right? Perfect Dark and GoldenEye 007 were some of the best ones ever. I don't know what went wrong, but now Rare is reduced to developing Kinect shovelware.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I hate when things I say get overlooked.
Now's not the moment to interject, but I will forget.

I've been thinking about Dark Pit... I know, how unfortunate.
And I am aware that the trailer is quite strange.

The biggest thing used in favor of him is his 'hint' trailer.
Well... I've got to ask, it is only our own opinion's as to what makes up a hint.
What makes this a hint?

If anything, what keeps it from being a red herring? A Complete distraction used to lead us down the wrong path- wherein (just one plausible scenario, but anything else is possible, too) Dark Pit is not the clone newcomer, but in fact, clone Medusa is (and hence, why Palutena has 12 moves)?

Just thinking, @MorbidAltruism and other supporters.
Because what makes a hint, exactly? Sakurai purposefully leading us to a conclusion is particularly strange.

#Medusa4Sm4sh

Last edited:

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
Rare actually continued making games on Nintendo handhelds until M$ stuck them into solely making Wii Sports ripoffs. Since Micro$oft doesn't have a handheld, they didn't view them making Nintendo games on handhelds as being direct competition. I suppose they eventually decided that it would be a waste of time and resources to allow Rare to continue, as they could instead make more games for M$... Not that they suddenly started making more games, anyway.

So technically speaking, Banjo is an entirely possible third party character for the 3DS version of Smash, though extremely unlikely. Particularly since the roster will be the same between versions, and M$ won't want Banjo on a Nintendo console. And as much as I love Banjo and would sell my soul to have him back with Nintendo or even just be in Smash, he's nowhere near as big as others...

As for Snake, I just love how all the Hayters are coming out of the wood works to rub salt in the wound. But it is the internet, so it's a given that people love the suffering of others. They'll get theirs soon enough...
M$ actually thought that they obtained Donkey Kong when they bought Rare. Yeah....

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
How come?
The mere concept that Shulk didn't have any sort of chance before Gematsu.

Shulk is a top 5 most wanted character in Japan based on polls, and his moveset potential is something that shouldn't be taken lightly. There are quite a few things they could do with him. Xenoblade Chronicles, while not selling like you top Nintendo titles, is a notable series that has a large quantity of content that can be squeezed into Smash.

You can see his popularity here. Sure, there are the fake people who only jumped on the bandwagon because of Gematsu, however that doesn't change the fact that he's a pretty popular pick. He never had bad chances. Gematsu had nothing to do with it.

Sobreviviente

Smash Lord
I just want to say that Shulk was part of the Operation Rainfall, something pretty damn important on the wii era.
We need him, it seriously would be awesome.

I would've totally taken N64 James Bond as a playable character in Melee. :laugh:
uh the Golden Days :'P

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
But I never said he didn't have any sort of chance. Just that everyone automatically assumed he was in BECAUSE of Gematsu. Now he's still quite possible, sure. But am not expecting him just yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom