• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
Maybe....

Maybe there will be a super-secret 3rd party character that won't be announced until after the game comes out!

Like the return of Snake! Or Professor Layton!

Weeman

Smash Crusader
I don't think this Box art thing affects anyone's chances, since the box only has to reference copyright of who is actually on it.
More importantly though if someone already has the box... does this mean we could get a full roster reveal soon? or it this official?

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
If I were a lot of you, I would just wait for the eventual leak of the roster. It's probably going to happen. Just be patient, and we'll probably get one rather soon I would think.

D

Deleted member

Yes, there may be more characters on the back we haven't seen yet. But I find it a little hard to believe that they would (or could) really cram the entire starting roster in what little space they have left on the back. I think you're right about there being more characters on the back, possibly including one or two unrevealed ones, but based on what we currently know about the box, I don't think we can use it as solid evidence against the return of characters like Lucas.
Out of curiosity, I looked at both the Brawl and Melee boxes (since I have them).
...Turns out Brawl didn't have all of the starting characters on the box.
Huh. Lucas may still have a chance yet.
Still pretty damning towards Snake, though.

Last edited by a moderator:

Weeman

Smash Crusader
Out of curiosity, I looked at both the Brawl and Melee boxes (since I have them).
...Turns out Brawl didn't have all of the starting characters on the box.
Huh. Lucas may still have a chance yet.
Still pretty damning towards Snake, though.
Seems to be the case, i guess everything will be sttled in a few weeks anyway.

CatRaccoonBL

You can do it!
NNID
RaccoonBL
3DS FC
2294-4606-0767
As a person who doesn't understand how copyright works, I'm just going to wait it out until we get a clearer picture of what is going on.

As for Bandana Dee, time to bring out this image again.

"Waddle Dee has become one of the most beloved characters in the Kirby series."

And thats from the Dream Collection book so it is straight from the horse's mouth.

I'm not going to say anything about his actual chances of getting in, but Bandana Dee does justify his inclusion if he does get in. Not to mention he has been in more games then both King Dedede and Meta Knight and has several roles that aren't just being a generic enemy.

He is popular, has many roles, been playable numerous times, (if you count Waddle Dee to be an extension of Bandana Dee. If not then I'll admit he was playable only once).

Anyway, thats all I want to say. Do with that information what you will. If you still don't care, thats fine.

Scamper52596

Smash Lord
Premium
I'm sorry that things are looking bleak for Snake. I have a friend who is a really big fan of the character, and I'm going to be sad if I have to tell him that Snake is not going to be on the roster when it eventually leaks. That being said, I actually never expected Snake to make a return. The main reason being that Metal Gear Solid V isn't coming to any Nintendo consoles. If Nintendo included Snake in Smash 4, it would basically be promoting a game exclusive to their competitor's consoles. I wouldn't think they would do that considering the Wii U's poor sales over the last couple years. It wasn't a big deal including Snake on the Wii because the console was already selling so well, and if the Wii U was selling just as much I wouldn't be surprised if Snake was included for Smash 4 despite his game not coming to the Wii U. If Metal Gear Solid V had a version releasing for the Wii U, I think Snake would have a much bigger chance, and if the game was a Wii U exclusive, I think he would be pretty much guaranteed. I guess there's still a chance he'll be there, but I'm not holding my breath. All I can say at this point to anyone who enjoys the character is that I'm sorry. :(

D

Deleted member

I just made another shocking discovery!
Lucas doesn't appear on Brawl's box art, yet Ape Inc. and Shigesato Itoi are still under character credits!
Could we be back to the "won't be credited until Ness is unlocked" logic and Lucas is gone?

Marakatu

Smash Ace
My opinions on the subject (copied from the Shulk support thread):
1) Creatures Inc is cited, so Mother is safe. I think.
2) If Shulk belongs to Nintendo itself, they don't need to cite Monolith. Does anybody knows who owns Shulk, by the way?
3) The boxart of Brawl didn't cite Camelot, yet Isaac was there as an assist trophy. Only playable characters need to be cited.
4) Snake is walking on thin ice right now.

domokl

Smash Lord
also possible ness is starter in this like how falcon was starter in melee unlockable in brawl and seems starter now. ness was starter in melee unlockable in brawl and maybe starter in smash 4. then lucas is pushed into unlockable.

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
The argument against Bandana Dee is rather shallow. "Not needed" can apply to a decent amount of characters. He's made himself a major character within the Kirby franchise. While he's not as important as King Dedede or Meta Knight, saying he can't be in Smash due to him being less important than them is quite illogical. I mean, look at Captain Toad. He's probably the best comparison, not "a Goomba with a hat." Poor Goombario.

D

Deleted member

My opinions on the subject (copied from the Shulk support thread):
1) Creatures Inc is cited, so Mother is safe. I think.
2) If Shulk belongs to Nintendo itself, they don't need to cite Monolith. Does anybody knows who owns Shulk, by the way?
3) The boxart of Brawl didn't cite Camelot, yet Isaac was there as an assist trophy. Only playable characters need to be cited.
4) Snake is walking on thin ice right now.
On point 1, Mother characters use the old Ape Inc. (as well as Shigesato Itoi in Brawl) for trademarks, not Creatures Inc.
On point 2, Monolith is owned by Nintendo, though considering Creatures Inc., which is a Nintendo subsidiary, and Intelligent Systems, which is also a Nintendo subsidiary (if I recall correctly) were still credited, I would imagine that Monolith Soft would as well.

Weeman

Smash Crusader
Would the thought of Snake being an unlockable character, and the copyright for Konami not appearing until then, seem too far fetched?

Muster

Smash Lord
NNID
Muster
3DS FC
3454-0690-6658

I just made another shocking discovery!
Lucas doesn't appear on Brawl's box art, yet Ape Inc. and Shigesato Itoi are still under character credits!
Could we be back to the "won't be credited until Ness is unlocked" logic and Lucas is gone?
Lucas is seen being played on the brawl online picture on the back, is he not?

G0LD3N L0TUS

Smash Lord
NNID
G0LD3N_L0TUS
3DS FC
3007-8158-6601
Wait, where are we getting these references? I can't seem to find them, but I swear I've seen them before.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Would the thought of Snake being an unlockable character, and the copyright for Konami not appearing until then, seem too far fetched?
Only if when Snake's Challenger silhouette appears it plays the discovery sound effect from MGS.
Considering the character and his creator, I would not be surprised.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
My optimistic roster should really have had Squirtle and Ivysaur on it, since they were always "more likely" than Snake...
even though that phrase, "more likely," means nothing, as characters are either cut or not cut.

I just want people to acknowledge how much 'aesthetic' actually means in our perception of 'who is likely' and who is not.

~Krystal~

True American Heroine
Without Snake... no Encounter or Yell Dead Cell. My heart aches. WHY ARE YOU KEEPING ME WAITING, DAVID?!

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Considering how Kojima is, I'm half expected there to be a playable trailer where you control Snake in a first person perspective only for you to beat it and learn it was an elaborate reveal for Snake in Smash Bros.

D

Deleted member

Actually he is in the back of the online feature in the back of the PAL version. Not sure about the US though.
So, he's in literally every box except the US.
I have the box right in front of me, and it has Samus, Link, Pit, and Yoshi on Battlefield.

D

Deleted member

That seems to be the case I suppose. He's at Castle Siege saying "Do your worst!" among Sheik, Donkey Kong and Samus.
What I find funny about it is....Mother 3 wasn't released in the US. :laugh:

It wasn't released in Europe or Australia either, but still.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Considering that slip isn't the box art, there's no telling what we could get with the roster. Nothing seals Snake's fate right now.

epicgordan

Smash Ace
On point 1, Mother characters use the old Ape Inc. (as well as Shigesato Itoi in Brawl) for trademarks, not Creatures Inc.
On point 2, Monolith is owned by Nintendo, though considering Creatures Inc., which is a Nintendo subsidiary, and Intelligent Systems, which is also a Nintendo subsidiary (if I recall correctly) were still credited, I would imagine that Monolith Soft would as well.
Except do we even know if Creatures Inc. and Ape Inc. are even First or Second Party (or for that matter, Intelligent Systems)? I do know that Nintendo owns all of Monolith Soft, but the First Party/Second Party dispute is a little confusing since the Internet and a multitude of sources cannot make up their mind. I'd like to think that Creatures Inc. is First Party, but they also have input due to Pokémon, which is a Second Party franchise owned by Game Freak (and even that can get a little messy, but at least it's more concrete than others).

ZeldaMaster

Smash Lord
If Mr. Saturn and Franklin Badge can exist without an APE Inc credit, then why the hell can't Ness and Lucas. Mr. Saturn and Franklin Badge are still Mother content after all.

G0LD3N L0TUS

Smash Lord
NNID
G0LD3N_L0TUS
3DS FC
3007-8158-6601
If Mr. Saturn and Franklin Badge can exist without an APE Inc credit, then why the hell can't Ness and Lucas. Mr. Saturn and Franklin Badge are still Mother content after all.
Because it specifically says "characters".

I'm a little anxious now, but I think there not being MOTHER characters at all is absurd. Therefore, I'll think that it is subject to change as more characters are announced.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom