• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Sceptile is generally as recent as Dixie is. When it comes to character choices, we don't know if OR/AS was considered in development.

I would disagree with the level of requesting of Sceptile outside of some of the vocal individuals on these boards (and Youtube) who are desperate for a unique Grass type Pokémon to fit the starter trio that was removed.

But once again, I was referring to their popularity in Japan, not Smashboards.
Sakurai has stated that he researches quite heavily with the Pokemon team to know what is going on with it. I posted a quotation in the Pokemon Trainer thread, perhaps I will bring it over here. It would be quite foolhardy to think he did not know what was going on with Pokemon.

Same with other Nintendo franchises. Has everyone been under a rock, or have we noticed that Nintendo is aware that this is their marketing Ticket? Nintendo is utilizing Smash well; I'm absolutely positive Sakurai, wanting to represent the characters in a respectable way from their games (as he has said) would partner with Nintendo and development teams, who want to promote their games, to get the info he needs. I actually would be shocked if companies weren't racing to Sakurai to try to get their characters included in the first place- we know this is true with Pokemon, Fire Emblem, and Ubisoft [And in the past, with Metal Gear Solid, and Megaman (well, stated he wanted Megaman in]

It is an assumption, but I think Sakurai knows what is going on with Nintendo's upcoming titles, period. If K Rool may be in Donkey Kong Future games at all, which was hinted at in DKCR/TR ... he would likely know about it. He definitely knew about ORAS and Tropical Freeze.

Last edited:

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
The problem is that Sakurai seems to opposed to keeping everything secret only for it to be revealed days after the game's release to everyone.

Then again, that seems unfair to the veterans if they are the only secret characters, or better yet, if they are all revealed at once. Each character, new or old, is given sort level of fanfare, so them all being shown at once would be anticlimactic, as would them all just being there when the game begins.

So, judging from the rate we get characters, some will be hidden. Furthermore, if veterans are being hidden away, I don't see why newcomers can't as well, particularly less hyping ones.

Morbi

Scavenger
The problem is that Sakurai seems to opposed to keeping everything secret only for it to be revealed days after the game's release to everyone.

Then again, that seems unfair to the veterans if they are the only secret characters, or better yet, if they are all revealed at once. Each character, new or old, is given sort level of fanfare, so them all being shown at once would be anticlimactic, as would them all just being there when the game begins.

So, judging from the rate we get characters, some will be hidden. Furthermore, if veterans are being hidden away, I don't see why newcomers can't as well, particularly less hyping ones.
I agree with this sentiment wholeheartedly, there is apt precedent to support this notion. I would also like it to be known that Dark Pit is one of those characters that might be considered "less-hyping." The perfect candidate for a hidden newcomer, if you ask me. :shades:

Scamper52596

Smash Lord
Premium
I agree with this sentiment wholeheartedly, there is apt precedent to support this notion. I would also like it to be known that Dark Pit is one of those characters that might be considered "less-hyping." The perfect candidate for a hidden newcomer, if you ask me. :shades:
I would make the same argument for Toon Zelda. I think there's a good chance she'll be a secret newcomer.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
INB4 Ridley's a hidden newcomer.
Possible, but since Ridley has been teased like no other potential character, I would imagine that, if he is playable, he will be revealed before the release date.

Last edited:

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
Ash used a Sceptile.

Checkmate, Blaziken.
And yet, Blaziken made more appearances overall and is still making them far past his generation. He may not be an Ash Pokémon, but I think Blaziken has more to his name besides, who would want to be with that loser? He lost to a Lv. 5 Snivy. :p

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger
Dixie Kong, Ghirahim, and Krystal are prime candidates for secret characters. Or maybe Black Shadow.

Ridley and Shulk are...less ideal.
Could you, perhaps, elaborate on why it is that you believe Shulk is not an ideal secret character? I was laboring under the delusion that he was the MOST ideal secret character. Haha.

Black Shadow would be great as a secret newcomer though. :smirk:

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
And yet, Blaziken made more appearances overall and is still making them far past his generation. He may not be an Ash Pokémon, but I think Blaziken has more to his name besides, who would want to be with that loser? He lost to a Lv. 5 Snivy. :p
Missed this.
I was just messing with that one. I'd actually prefer Blaziken just because of the potential Muay-Thai inspired moveset he could get.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Could you, perhaps, elaborate on why it is that you believe Shulk is not an ideal secret character? I was laboring under the delusion that he was the MOST ideal secret character. Haha.:smirk:
Shulk is a "hype" newcomer that represents not only an upcoming game, but really a whole series.

I think that is something Sakurai would sort of like to "get out there" to promote the game.

MagnesD3

Smash Master
Shulk is a "hype" newcomer that represents not only an upcoming game, but really a whole series.

I think that is something Sakurai would sort of like to "get out there" to promote the game.
Shulk represents 1 game that isn't "that" popular, he isn't even confirmed to be in the sequel if I recall.

I also need to say to the newfags who just want new characters and say the older ones are obsolete are fools. It also makes me wish there was an age count on this website so I can know who's opinions to just scroll past or read...

Last edited:

ElPanandero

Smash Lord
NNID
ElPanandero
Ok I get where you are coming from then.

But there is really no way to prove that other characters could have been developed in the same time it took to make the special moves you find to be bland. That argument is strictly theoretical and is an excuse to spite something you cannot appreciate.

I think you should keep an open mind towards the moves you find bland. They should have different usage than the moves you find they emulate. Reflect Barrier, for example, will function as a wall that can not only Reflect projectiles but allow Palutena to move freely. It also has a lot more range than other Reflectors, allowing her to deal with most projectile camping. I personally love Reflect Barrier, probably because I used the move in Uprising and really like the concept of it. It is literally an anti-camp move.

I think it's not healthy to dismiss a custom move simply because it looks similar to another character's move. I see people freaking out over the Mii Fighters for this reason (apparently it is blasphemy for the Swordsman to mimic Ike's down throw or use a ninja star that looks like Water Shuriken). I don't really buy the bland vs. unique argument you guys on Smashboards try to make to dismiss or promote a character. It just is insensitive to those who like the notion or character and comes off as selfish and self-entitled.

One other thing, these custom moves do not define her character, they simply allow her to expand on her character design. I find her as a slow defensive character that has a lot of options (projectiles, counters, possible offensive moves, a teleport). Her custom moves function similarly to other custom moves; to expand her playstyle.

I have nothing else to say, so I guess we can move on to other speculation. The character is already in the game, and there is nothing we can do about it. I apologize for dragging this out, but I found it necessary to vent on this subject.
Alright, you can not respond if you're done with the argument, but I'll say my final words as well

1. The devlopment time thing is kind of a nobrainer, it has to take more time to make 12 moves over 4 with tiny modifications, its just common sense, but I guess there's no proof so we'll call it a matter of difference

2. It's not really the moves I have a huge problem with, its that they couldnt just choose 4 , 5, 6, or even 7 or 8. They chose 12, that's superfluous for any character, I'd have a problem with 12 100% unique moves, but I guess it's just my preference. But I see the mechanics with the other characters, the durability of Robin, the pure ground fighter of mac, the weird buffs or whatever of the WFT even, everyone but the villager (and the mii's) have something totally unique and awesome as a mechanic that fits into the playstyle. Pally's got a playstyle going sort of, as you described, but most of the extra special moves don't really play into that, and I'm saying that they could have zeroed in on a lesser number that really play into the anti-camp defensive character you envision. I'm not gonna go through the whole list again, but off the top of my head theres maybe 5 or 6 (being generous) that really play into that, so the other 6 or 7 moves are superfluous and don't add to the kind of character she could be in my opinion.

That's it I guess, I see a character with a lot of potential with a less defined playstyle, who could very well surprise me and be several playstyle deep or one really intricate one, but I personally believe she has 1 playstyle, which is fairly unique, with only a fraction of the time spent on her actually being a part of it.

But I understand that you like her, and I wasn't trying to sway you, just give my side of the story, and thanks for being as respectufl as we can be with a subject like this, it's been real homie

Doompatron3000

Smash Journeyman

http://www.smashbros.com/wii/en_us/
Happened during the Smash Dojo days, just click on each of the secret characters. twelve Character reveals were kept hidden until after Brawl came out in Japan. Five of those characters were officially revealed after even the North American release. In terms of hidden newcomers and veterans, there were 4 newcomers in brawl hidden, with the rest of the twelve making up hidden veterans.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
Missed this.
Sorry about that. I completely missed that post when reading through.

Shulk represents 1 game that isn't "that" popular, he isn't even confirmed to be in the sequel if I recall.
Shulk is a rather popular request, particularly in Japan where based on Chronobound's findings, he's up there with Palutena. He seems like the type of character you'd want to get out there to draw in fans, and because of that, I do think he'd be revealed sooner rather then later.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
He was hinted at, and to be fair, it's a new series, Shulk is basically the Marth of Xenoblade.

Also, not only is Shulk one of the most requested Smash 4ters but Xenoblade had a HUGE operation to get it released in the US.

It also makes me wish there was an age count on this website so I can know who's opinions to just scroll past or read...
To be honest, this is sort of what I want to do regarding your posts...

D

Deleted member

We all know that Riki the Heropon would get in before Shulk because "At the end of the day, Chrom would just end up being another plain-old sword-wielder like Marth and Ike.":troll: please don't flame me, I know Shulk is unique for a swordsman

MagnesD3

Smash Master
He was hinted at, and to be fair, it's a new series, Shulk is basically the Marth of Xenoblade.

Also, not only is Shulk one of the most requested Smash 4ters but Xenoblade had a HUGE operation to get it released in the US.

To be honest, this is sort of what I want to do regarding your posts...
To actually be honest you only said that because I mentioned it first and it's an easy comeback, second that wasn't even directed toward you, but just Incase you wanna know I'm 23

Last edited:

Gold_Jacobson

Smash Journeyman
So, it's been a month since Robin and Lucina reveal, right?

:psycho: I'm losing it.

August is half way over. That direct, I smell it. It must be soon.:smash:

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691

Were you talking about the Monado Picture Sakurai posted?

Also, wasn't there talk of seeing Mechon in Smash Run or something? I don't remember.

MagnesD3

Smash Master
Sorry about that. I completely missed that post when reading through.

Shulk is a rather popular request, particularly in Japan where based on Chronobound's findings, he's up there with Palutena. He seems like the type of character you'd want to get out there to draw in fans, and because of that, I do think he'd be revealed sooner rather then later.
I'm aware shulk will most likely be included I just don't think he deserves a spot yet, I see him more as a simple marketing flavor of the month tool unless he remains in the series or his popularity lasts.

ElPanandero

Smash Lord
NNID
ElPanandero
To actually be honest you only said that because I mentioned it first and it's an easy comeback, second that wasn't even directed toward you, but just Incase you wanna know I'm 23
Us old guys gotta stick together :cool:

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
Wasn't Xenoblade Chronicles actually the latest in a long line of spiritual successors to Xenogears?

The main protagonist of that game would be Marth. Shulk would be Ike or something.

Last edited:

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
I wasn't making a "comeback" because your comment wasn't directed at me. But frankly, I don't appreciate how combative you can be...and how needlessly profane...

Were you talking about the Monado Picture Sakurai posted?
Also, wasn't there talk of seeing Mechon in Smash Run or something? I don't remember.
I meant for X, not Smash Bros. There is no indication Shulk is in Smash.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Dixie Kong, Ghirahim, and Krystal are prime candidates for secret characters. Or maybe Black Shadow.

My theory is that The Secret characters are the ones that need no video introduction, and would actually invoke the MOST hype when the "warning, challenger aproaching" sign appears.
Hence, making Ridley and K Rool the best hidden characters. (Along with Mewtwo)

Last edited:

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
I'm aware shulk will most likely be included I just don't think he deserves a spot yet, I see him more as a simple marketing flavor of the month tool unless he remains in the series or his popularity lasts.
Wouldn't the same have been said of Ness back in the day? He was only the protagonist of one game, and unlike Shulk, not even the first, but is the most fondly remembered character of that series and many love him in Smash. In addition, said series is also very highly regarded among fans even though it's not as successful as some other Nintendo franchises.

Plus, while Shulk hasn't been around as long as some other characters, him and his series do seem to have a strong fanbase to them, and it is getting a very anticipated sequel coming as well. So I don't think he's anywhere close to being a "flavor of the month," he has good enough reason to be added already, and unless something really knocks down the series in the future, I think it will last.

Morbi

Scavenger
My theory is that THe Secret characters are the ones that need no video introduction, and would actually invoke the MOST hype when the "warning, challenger aproaching" sign appears.
Interestingly enough, your theory might be correct (in fact, in my subjective opinion, it has been correct thus far). Since the beginning we got "trailers" of Villager and Wii Fit Trainer. Obviously Mega Man was there to mitigate some of the hype. After that, Rosalina, Greninja, and Robin are not necessarily on par with characters such as Ridley, King K. Rool, or Mewtwo. Third parties are obviously the exception, albeit Snake might make an appearance in the same vein as your theory.

I believe strongly in my opinions, this is why I can be pushy to get them across.
What are your... opinions... on Dark Pit? :denzel:

Weeman

Smash Crusader
But weren't we sure that the next newcomer trailer was going to be Dark Pit's, i'm so confused, WHAT IS THIS?

TheDarkKnightNoivern

Smash Master
Marth didn't remain in his series yet he got into smash and as the main character of the first game his popularity will most definitely last, just like marth
Shulk is oddly comparable to marth

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger
But weren't we sure that the next newcomer trailer was going to be Dark Pit's, i'm so confused, WHAT IS THIS?
I suppose it depends on whether or not the cliff-hanger implies another trailer, more specifically, one that takes place at Palutena's Temple. I am honestly fairly doubtful unless we get two Kid Icarus Newcomers. That would certainly be a treat, would it not?

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Wasn't Xenoblade Chronicles actually the latest in a long line of spiritual successors to Xenogears?

The main protagonist of that game would be Marth. Shulk would be Ike or something.
It's compared to Earthbound a lot, for many reasons: JRPG, strange quirks, the Japan only bit...
He would be Ness (the popular ported character we associate from the middle of the series).

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
My theory is that THe Secret characters are the ones that need no video introduction, and would actually invoke the MOST hype when the "warning, challenger aproaching" sign appears.
You know, you might be on to something.
I mean, was Mewtwo not a secret character in Melee? Was Lucario, Wolf, Toon Link, Captain Falcon and Ness all secret characters in Brawl as well?

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030

I guess. I mean, Ridley and Shulk seem popular here in the States at the very least. So if they are in the game, they could make for a good final reveal before launch. But I think Mewtwo could be more likely than either of them, for some strange reason.

Not sure if Dixie, Ghirahim, or Krystal are going to be playable. But I like Dixie, so I'd happy to see that. I don't feel strongly about Ghirahim or Krystal, so I'd want to see them in action to be more excited.

Wouldn't the same have been said of Ness back in the day? He was only the protagonist of one game, and unlike Shulk, not even the first, but is the most fondly remembered character of that series and many love him in Smash. In addition, said series is also very highly regarded among fans even though it's not as successful as some other Nintendo franchises.

Plus, while Shulk hasn't been around as long as some other characters, him and his series do seem to have a strong fanbase to them, and it is getting a very anticipated sequel coming as well. So I don't think he's anywhere close to being a "flavor of the month," he has good enough reason to be added already, and unless something really knocks down the series in the future, I think it will last.
I'm with you on that. I mostly want Shulk since he seems to be an interesting fighter. But he does have a strong following, so that might count for something too.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
It's compared to Earthbound a lot, for many reasons: JRPG, strange quirks, the Japan only bit...
He would be Ness (the popular ported character we associate from the middle of the series).
Nah, Shulk is clearly Wario.

What are we even talking about anymore?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom