• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
NNID
TheSir24
3DS FC
2191-8079-5484
I honestly thought Lucas was older. I guess having him in Brawl was as fair as having Greninja, Robin and Lucina in Sm4sh.

That said, he fell in the "who the hell is this guy" category for most of us, so K. Rool would work the same for people not familiar with the DKC games.

With regards to Dixie and K Rool's chances, apparently the first boss from Donkey Kong Country Returns is shown as a trophy in Smash 4:

This, along with the Rocket Barrel Theme remix and the Tiki Buzz enemy in Smash Run, implies that Sakurai is focusing on Donkey Kong Country Returns as the newest game for the Donkey Kong series.

Take this as you will.
There's also at least 3 different types of Kremlings in Smash Run. We've seen the green and blue ones, and it's said there's a "Gigantic Kremling" boss who doesn't fit K. Rool's description.

Take this as you will.

Last edited:

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Lucas has only appeared in one game, in 2006. The only other game he has appeared on ever since is Brawl, two years later.

K. Rool's first appearance was on 1994, and has appeared on several games until 2008, in Mario Sluggers.

I'm pretty sure K. Rool is far more classic than Lucas, yet the blond kid made it in and the crocodile king didn't. Weird.
Yeah, but K. Rool is not the main character from a dead or revived (DKCR doesn't count, it didn't star K. Rool) series. He's not the classic character that some of us define.
You seem to be implying that K. Rool is one-shot guy, in which he's not at all, you're not helping your case here. :p

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
I honestly thought Lucas was older. I guess having him in Brawl was as fair as having Greninja, Robin and Lucina in Sm4sh.
The thing is, X/Y and Awakening were pretty successful games commercially (not saying much for Awakening considering the low expectations, though) and critically. Granted, Greninja was ballsy since he got in before X/Y even released, but it's a Pokemon game so it was guaranteed to be a success lol.

Mother 3 has a reaaaaaally small following. A dedicated one, but really small. It's a game that was met with mixed receptions and ended up in the bargain bin fairly early. Though Sakurai likely decided to add Lucas before Mother 3 even released, except unlike Greninja, his game wasn't a guaranteed success.

It's pretty much why I wouldn't be surprised if he got cut this time, but eh. Hopefully not, I like Lucas and Mother 3.

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger
Bloody hell, and i thought Dark Pit was controversial :rolleyes:
It is impossible to have controversy if everyone agrees! :4pit:

Honestly, it is probably because Dark Pit was confirmed to make an appearance whereas neither Dixie or King K. Rool have had that luxury.

Technically.
If you add "technically" does that not defeat the purpose of your argument?

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
I honestly think it's impossible to compare K.Rool to anyone. He's a really weird case lol.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
I almost always hear complaining about people wanting more MegaMan games, I never hear them complaining 'why hasn't mega man appeared in any if his latest games!' Which is what the k Rool fans have to do.
Really? Because that's what nearly every Mega Man fan wants.

Last edited:

CodeBlue_

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-2347-7011-5339
I love how my argument in regards to recency was ignored over us fighting over whether K Rool has a chance because of a correlation to Mega Man that has no real validity.

Last edited:

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Please give me one example where Sakurai chose a character from an ongoing series (aka not a retro) who is no longer a part of that series.
How about the Pokemon Trainer?

He, along with the three Kanto starters, were added into Brawl despite not appearing in the Pokemon games since FireRed and LeafGreen, which were released quite some time before Brawl, and had several games, including an entire new generation of Pokemon, come after them.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

K. Rool and Megaman are (well were for Megaman) both extremely popular character choices for Smash, which pretty much sums up the only thing they have in common for speculation.

Weeman

Smash Crusader
Megaman is an iconic third party, and third party also have a different criteria too, you can't compare him to K. Rool.
Seriously Blue Pikmin, with the due respect i don't think these "criterias" matter much, i mean who we consider "retro" or important enough or who is a shoe-in or who has the most potential, is something that is simply bound to not always match with Sakurai's views, i mean look at Robin and how it threw the "main lord character" criteria away, and pretty much created what we could call the "Sakurai does whatever the hell he wants" criteria.
Who would have considered R.O.B a retro?, when may people could have just said that he wasn't an actual character.

Last edited:

NeonBurrito

Smash Ace

Why not him? :yeahboi:

1.) He's been in more games than Dixie Kong and King K. Rool.
2.) He could have a unique moveset using his cane, throwing barrels, and using his beard for hair attacks.
3.) He'd be our first old guy in Smash Bros. (old manondorf doesn't count)
4.) He's playable in Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze.

It's absolutely amazing that he's not requested more often, compared to Dixie and King K. Rool.

King K. Rool should be playable over Dixie imo. He may have not appeared recently, but we have tons of characters who have only appeared in one game and nothing since (:popo:,:rob:,:lucas:,:gw:). Dixie Kong was playable in Tropical Freeze, but she was just as unused as King K. Rool before then (spinoffs don't mean anything). Heck, she didn't even appear in Donkey Kong 64, when King K. Rool did. If saying her being playable in Tropical Freeze means tons for her, than it also means that Cranky Kong has tons for him as well.

Also, the Cranky Kong stuff isn't serious at all. (if you haven't noticed)

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
He was the best partner in Tropical Freeze.

Pogo Stick is the GOAT speedrunning ability.

D

Deleted member

Why not him? :yeahboi:

1.) He's been in more games than Dixie Kong and King K. Rool.
2.) He could have a unique moveset using his cane, throwing barrels, and using his beard for hair attacks.
3.) He'd be our first old guy in Smash Bros. (old manondorf doesn't count)
4.) He's playable in Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze.

It's absolutely amazing that he's not requested more often, compared to Dixie and King K. Rool.

King K. Rool should be playable over Dixie imo. He may have not appeared recently, but we have tons of characters who have only appeared in one game and nothing since (:popo:,:rob:,:lucas:,:gw:). Dixie Kong was playable in Tropical Freeze, but she was just as unused as King K. Rool before then (spinoffs don't mean anything). Heck, she didn't even appear in Donkey Kong 64, when King K. Rool did. If saying her being playable in Tropical Freeze means tons for her, than it also means that Cranky Kong has tons for him as well.

Also, the Cranky Kong stuff isn't serious at all. (if you haven't noticed)
Just one problem: He was already disconfirmed

CodeBlue_

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-2347-7011-5339
...eh I'm not so sure about K Rool's popularity outside of North America. Kinda reminds of Sceptile in that regards.

CJ Falcon

Smash Lord
Oh yes, I forgot that you know the entire roster, and you know that K Rool is for sure going to be in the game. If anything, your arguments supporting him are the only thing hilariously wrong within the past 3 pages.
No those were your arguments. Check again.

GunGunW

Smash Lord
NNID
GunGunW
I don't think K. Rool is guaranteed, but I would like to see him in the game. He'd be a very welcome addition to the roster and like Captain Falcon, it gives him something to do while waiting for his next game.

...eh I'm not so sure about K Rool's popularity outside of North America. Kinda reminds of Sceptile in that regards.
Well we are their biggest market...

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger
The only difference(s) being that Sceptile is more relevant, more recent, more requested. Sceptile comes from a series that deserves an additional representative and Sceptile is a better shade of green.

ihskeyp

Smash Ace
No those were your arguments. Check again.
Except:
It's a fact K Rool is no longer a part if the series.
It's a fact that Dixie is still relevant.
It's a fact that more relevant characters have been added this time around.
It's a fact that you grasp at straws a lot.
Nothing 'hilariously wrong' there.

Last edited:

Weeman

Smash Crusader
How about we talk about a character that we know for sure is in the game for once?
Let's talk about DARK PIT!, i know how much you guys love him Embarrass

CJ Falcon

Smash Lord
Except:
It's a fact that more relevant harassers have been added this time around.
Alright, only one way to settle this: we have to fight irl. It's the only way.

D

Deleted member

Except:
It's a fact that more relevant characters have been added this time around.
I was under the impression that K. Rool was much more popular than Dixie. Unless I haven't been introduced to a secret horde of Dixie supporters.

ihskeyp

Smash Ace
If my posts have a lot if grammatical errors, I apologize, I'm using my phone and autocorrect is kicking my butt.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom