• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Weeman

Smash Crusader
Samurai Goroh. But look at how that turned out.

So anyone, really. Bonus points if they actually end up taking more from super hero comic books than a tokusatsu hero like what Captain Falcon should have gotten.
So Batm- I mean Black Shadow would be fine? :awesome:

Morbi

Scavenger
Recency means nothing.

King K Rool is still the primary antagonist of the series, and even those who took his place pull a lot from him.
Anyone who cares about Donkey Kong characters besides Donkey Kong himself anyway probably has played one game with him anyway.

Dixie Kong seems somewhat like another Chrom situation to me, honestly. Just less obvious.
Incorrect, "recency" is relevant to some capacity that we do not yet understand (which does not imply that it means nothing, it means that we do not know what it means). Perhaps it is only inherently relevant as recent characters are promoted through their games and therefore more popular (at that certain time). However, it does not mean "nothing," an objective claim such as this must be supported by evidence that we, quite clearly, do not have.

zauberdragon

Smash Journeyman
I've just been watching a few vids from E3 and Gamescom, mostly smash run videos and the Nintendo reps have been emphasising how big the roster is. There's 11 Brawl characters who've not been revealed though a good number of them must be coming soon (falco, wario, ganondorf, G&W, ness etc) and we know we're getting more newcomers.

Are we going to get a 50 roster? All it would take is 13 more characters and 8-9 veterans and 4-5 newcomers seems reasonable.

Second Power

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0774-5502-4430
Recency means nothing.

King K Rool is still the primary antagonist of the series, and even those who took his place pull a lot from him.
Anyone who cares about Donkey Kong characters besides Donkey Kong himself anyway probably has played one game with him anyway.

Dixie Kong seems somewhat like another Chrom situation to me, honestly. Just less obvious.
Put another way, who makes more sense; a character who appeals to DK fans old and new, or a character who appeals to DK fans old?

Morbi

Scavenger
Put another way, who makes more sense; a character who appeals to DK fans old and new, or a character who appeals to DK fans old?
A character who appeals to Donkey Kong fans, old. Why? Because he offers more diversity to the Smash roster!

Regardless, we are probably going to get Dixie, if any. :troll:

CJ Falcon

Smash Lord
I've met a lot of people on the K. Rool support thread who have said that they've only played the recent DK games but are still fans of K. Rool. Also, as an old DK fan, I can say that K. Rool appeals much more to me than Dixie. So it's really a character that appeals to the new versus one that appeals to the old if anything.
A character who appeals to Donkey Kong fans, old. Why? Because he offers more diversity to the Smash roster!

Regardless, we are probably going to get Dixie, if any. :troll:
Doubt it. :troll:

Last edited:

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Well, when you say it that way it makes sense, but I would argue that Dixie Kong doesn't necessarily appeal to to old DK fans, especially if she gets in over their preferred choice.

Weeman

Smash Crusader
Well, when you say it that way it makes sense, but I would argue that Dixie Kong doesn't necessarily appeal to to old DK fans, especially if she gets in over their preferred choice.
Besides, even if you have never played a DK game, who wouldn't want a crocodile in Smash! :awesome:

ihskeyp

Smash Ace
King K Rool joined the DK series in 1994, Dixie in 1995, however K Rool hasn't appeared in a DK game for a long time, and in most of his appearances Dixie played a large role (not all, most). Dixie is just as important as him in the series (or more important honestly).
I mean, if he was THAT important why was it so easy for them to replace him, and when he was replaced the series continued to grow, so he wasn't vital to the series at all.

DustyPumpkin

Smash Lord
NNID
DustyPumpkin
3DS FC
4038-5990-1614
Switch FC
0550-6678-6601
I still think the unbelievable 55 character is going to happen, now that we have semi-clone newcomers to pad the roster as much as possible.
Same Here,
54 Characters plus the random button

CJ Falcon

Smash Lord
King K Rool joined the DK series in 1994, Dixie in 1995, however K Rool hasn't appeared in a DK game for a long time, and in most of his appearances Dixie played a large role (not all, most). Dixie is just as important as him in the series (or more important honestly).
I mean, if he was THAT important why was it so easy for them to replace him, and when he was replaced the series continued to grow, so he wasn't vital to the series at all.
Consider this: when it was made known that K. Rool wasn't going to appear in Returns, there was a huge outcry. No one cried for Dixie. :estatic:

Last edited:

Pizzanigs

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Pizzanigs
Who makes more sense; another monkey with nothing to offer to Smash Bros. than a blonde ponytail, or the series' main antagonist who brings much more to the table with weapons practically made for Smash?

Weeman

Smash Crusader
BTW guys i just made a Dark Pit clone moveset, now let the flaming begin:troll:
Dark Pit the Hedgehog moveset:
*Melee-Pandora's Claws (Beam claws and Tiger Claws for custom):
They would be used for Dark Pit's regular melee attacks, aerials, and Smash attacks. They would provide weaker but faster hits in comparison with Pit's blades, his tilts, as well as his aerials wouldn't deal as much knockback, but would have very little recovery time, making them ideal for combos. His Smash attacks on the other hand would actually shoot a Big projectile in the form of Pandora's head, just like the Claws themself, and unlike his tilts and aerials, these would be very Powerful, but the projectile itself would travel at a relatively slow pace. His jab would be similar to Greninja's, with multiple quick hits and a relatively weak finisher.

*B-Dark Pit staff (Lancer and Somewhat staff for custom): Would be nis neutral B, it would work like a sniper rifle, like a combination of Link's bow and R.O.B's laser. This move would be great for edge guarding, and when fully charged the beams would be fast and powerful, but the hitbox itself would be really small, so it has to be aimed properly.

*^B-Pandower of flight :troll:: His recovery move, more reminiscent of Pit's recovery in Brawl, giving him freedom of moving around, but lasting less amount of time to compensate. Of course this would come with the Purple effect on his wings.

*<>B-Cursed Palm (Ninja and Aurum palm for custom): His side B. Wold work like Ganondorf's side B, with Dark Pit grabing his opponents face and blasting them with a burst of Power, unlike Ganon's this would have horizontal knockback, if used in the air this would throw the opponent downward.

*vB-Doom Canon (Twinbellows and Sonic cannon for custom): Shoots a powerful Blast downwards, just a little in front of him, the explosion destroys other projectiles within the explosion, a very powerful move and one of Dark Pit's finishers, relatively short range, it only shields from attacks coming in front of Dark Pit. If used in the air the blast goes fully vertical downwards, keeps it's power and shielding abilities, but has a lot of recovery.

*Final Smash-Lighting Chariot Strike: It would basically work as a Multiple Dragoon hit, being able to shoot the chariot 3 times in the direction chosen, it would end with a 4th horizontal strike.

Weeman

Smash Crusader
Who makes more sense; another monkey with nothing to offer to Smash Bros. than a blonde ponytail, or the series' main antagonist who brings much more to the table with weapons practically made for Smash?
To be fair Dixie can Morph her hair, like Filia from Skullgirls :awesome:

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
For some reason, this reminds me of Chrom vs. Robin debates.

"Who makes more sense; the face of Awakening, or some character that isn't even in promotions? It's obviously going to be Chrom, just accept it already." (Not an actual quote; just a general representation of common opinion)

Looking at things from one perspective, it may seem like there's an obvious choice. But when you look at it from a variety of perspectives, things may not be as clear-cut as they once appeared.

Last edited:

CJ Falcon

Smash Lord
It didn't keep people from purchasing the game.
Consider this: Dixie was important enough to come back, K Rool wasn't.
Important enough? In what terms? The main villain vs one sidekick. Hmmm, which is more important? Ganondorf or Epona? Hmmmm. Bowser or Toad? Hmmmm.

Last edited:

ihskeyp

Smash Ace
Important enough? In what terms? The main villain vs one sidekick. Hmmm, which is more important? Ganondorf or Epona? Hmmmm. Bowser or Toad? Hmmmm.
He's not much of a main villain if he's basically disappeared from the series.
Dixie didn't come back in DKCR, though.
Plus, I don't think it means much when Cranky was also playable in that game.
Dixie came back because she's actually important, she had her own game in the series. Cranky joined for extra fanservice. K Rool was still absent.

CJ Falcon

Smash Lord

Dixie came back because she's actually important, she had her own game in the series. Cranky joined for extra fanservice. K Rool was still absent.
Disappeared? I saw him in walrus form in Tropical Freeze. Your argument in invalid. :lick:

Yeah she had her own game in the series. The most forgettable one at that. :laugh:

Last edited:

Pizzanigs

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Pizzanigs

Not much of a main villain...? There were TWO Donkey Kong Country games where K. Rool was absent. I wasn't aware that being absent from two games means he's not the main villain, even though we was the main villain in pretty much every single Donkey Kong game before Returns. :facepalm:

Last edited:

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
So... What about Ganondorf? Not counting Hyrule Warriors (a spin-off celebrating Zelda's history), he's been absent for far longer than K. Rool has.

ihskeyp

Smash Ace
Disappeared? I saw him in walrus form in Tropical Freeze. Your argument in invalid. :lick:

Yeah she had her own game in the series. The most forgettable one at that. :laugh:
No, your argument is invalid. Just because there was a fat antagonist doesn't mean it was 'k Rool in walrus form'. You're really grasping there.
Regardless if it was'forgettable' to you, it was important enough to keep her relevant in the series. K Rool could at least appear as a less-important boss or something, but still no, he just doesn't appear at all. I think that speaks a lot about his importance to the series.

CJ Falcon

Smash Lord
No, your argument is invalid. Just because there was a fat antagonist doesn't mean it was 'k Rool in walrus form'. You're really grasping there.
Regardless if it was'forgettable' to you, it was important enough to keep her relevant in the series. K Rool could at least appear as a less-important boss or something, but still no, he just doesn't appear at all. I think that speaks a lot about his importance to the series.
Lord Fredrik was clear homage to K. Rool, but I wouldn't expect you to know that since you've never played a game with K. Rool in it. Dixie was absent from as many DKC games as K. Rool: 2. That small number: 2. Which likely has little or no effect: 2.

Last edited:
NNID
TheSir24
3DS FC
2191-8079-5484
Okay guys, I've been offline since Thursday. Have I missed anything interesting?

I saw Friday's PotD though, but nothing else.

Weeman

Smash Crusader
Lord Fredrik was clear homage to K. Rool, but I wouldn't expect you to know that since you've never played a game with K. Rool in it. Dixie was absent from as many DKC games as K. Rool: 2. That small number: 2.
But he wasn't K. Rool, also K. Rool only appeared in one game from the Metroid series, Castlevania: Uprising, so he cannot buy cereal at Wal-Mart.

Last edited:

Scamper52596

Smash Lord
Premium
So... What about Ganondorf? Not counting Hyrule Warriors (a spin-off celebrating Zelda's history), he's been absent for far longer than K. Rool has.
I never found Ganondorf to be a good character to compare K. Rool to. We know that Ganondorf will be used again in future Zelda games. Ganon was in A Link Between Worlds, and an incarnation of Ganondorf was in Skyward Sword. The character is set in the Zelda universe, and he's not going anywhere for good. The thing about K. Rool is that we don't know his fate right now. He may have been the main antagonist of the Donkey Kong Country franchise back in the N64 era, but he very well may not be used again in future Donkey Kong games. I hope K. Rool will be in another game, but I know Ganondorf will be in another game.

ihskeyp

Smash Ace
By this logic, Ganondorf has no reason to be in Smash Bros.
He was added when he was still important to the series. Same with Sheik.
If K Rool was added when he was important, he would most definitely be returning with the rest if the cast, but he didn't, and as the series continues without him, it would be just plain strange to have him be the NEW representative if a game series that he hasn't appeared in any if the NEWER titles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom