• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

CJ Falcon

Smash Lord
What would you guys do for the ability to choose a single Character for this game? What would you guys do for the ability to own a character slot, that you could make any video game character that you wanted.
Is this like a "what would you do for a klondike bar" kind of question?

Fire Emblemier

The Crests are to Blame
Switch FC
SW-2862-0450-4332
Any character getting in because of the weapon alone is pretty silly, when it is not explained. Unless we delve into how it works, just saying what it is means absolutely nothing, shouldn't that be clear by now?

In other news, I moved my Mii discussion to it's own thread.

As for Starfox, I'm pretty convinced that Krystal is a perfect DLC candidate. She may get in, but she is a great choice for DLC to promote the game of hers at a later date. Sakurai loving starfox, and it being the only franchise to get one new character per series, may speak otherwise, though.
That's not the only reason I want Krystal, I just want her in the game, in general, even if she was another Fox clone, I would be happy. The staff isn't a make or break for me, in all honesty.

Anyways, I'm not saying she's the likeliest character, but I still argue her chances, when it's brought up...

Jiggly

Drop the mic, cause these fools sleeping on me
The FBI Surveillance Van outside your house.
NNID
Jiggly101
I'm suprised how confident everyone is about DLC. What makes you guys think that it will happen? I dunno, it seems uneeded, and I don't wanna pay not for extra characters, not if it's like FE:A DLC anyways...

CJ Falcon

Smash Lord
I'm suprised how confident everyone is about DLC. What makes you guys think that it will happen? I dunno, it seems uneeded, and I don't wanna pay not for extra characters, not if it's like FE:A DLC anyways...
I'm not confident DLC will happen but Mario Kart 8 has certainly shown that it's somewhat likely. I don't like DLC for fighting games. Damn you Capcommmmmmmmmmm...............

Last edited:

GunGunW

Smash Lord
NNID
GunGunW
I'm not confident about DLC at all.

Also, Captain Falcon is missing from your roster .

~Krystal~

True American Heroine
What would you guys do for the ability to choose a single Character for this game? What would you guys do for the ability to own a character slot, that you could make any video game character that you wanted.
A lot of things I can't say on this forum. :evil:

If you're completely fine with the roster, it would seem unneeded. Highly subjective. I would be willing to pay for characters that I found were appealing enough. If they were locked away on the disc, I would be extremely disappointed in Nintendo, yet still pay. To answer your question, I myself don't believe that DLC is definitely happening. There are some leaks and "insider info" which suggest as much, but we've yet to hear an official announcement on it.

CodeBlue_

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-2347-7011-5339
EDIT: I don't consider her a waste of space, I consider her unnecessary development a waste of time, She deserves to be in as a regular ordinary character. And the fact that she uses a bunch of powers in her source game is so irrelevant, becaue everyone does stuff in their source games that don't get put in smash and no one else thinks there's anything wrong with it, and I don't really care if you're blindly faithful to the character, that doesn't affect my opinion in the least
I don't get why you are upset with Sakurai attempting to make a character more unique. He is taking something that is canon to a recent game (Uprising) and using it to not only develop the character, but also promote a mechanic in the game. Who cares if she seem to "share" moves from other characters? These moves are pretty distinct from their counterparts (outside of Warp, Counter, and Jump Glide). Compared this to a a lot of semi-clones and clones that use practically identical animations and/or projectiles.

You see this in Luigi, Toon Link, Falco, Lucina, Wolf, Ganon and Lucas. Are you complaining about these characters at all? I thought you understood the competitive values of these types of characters, as you seem to be aware of the competitive Melee community. Doesn't that apply to Palutena, but as a unison of several attributes from (incidentally, as Sakurai did not intend her to share **** from other characters; you just interpreted as such) several characters instead of merely duplicating them?

Also you forgot Auto-reticle in your list of Powers and got half of the names of the Powers wrong. Go play Uprising before you start hating on a concept you don't even understand.

TheDarkKnightNoivern

Smash Master

Not anymore! :joyful:
Palutena's main focus isn't her staff, it's her custom movesets and krystal and palutena would play completely different. Also does palutena really use the staff? I mean with a staff you normally smack or stab things, palutena doesn't do that, she mainly just uses magic.
Also palutena clearly wasn't chosen because she wields a unique weapon unlike krystal, if she were to get in it would likely be because of that

Any character getting in because of the weapon alone is pretty silly, when it is not explained. Unless we delve into how it works, just saying what it is means absolutely nothing, shouldn't that be clear by now?

In other news, I moved my Mii discussion to it's own thread.

As for Starfox, I'm pretty convinced that Krystal is a perfect DLC candidate. She may get in, but she is a great choice for DLC to promote the game of hers at a later date. Sakurai loving starfox, and it being the only franchise to get one new character per series, may speak otherwise, though.
It's not just a weapon, it's a brand new unique, playstyle which has never been in a smash game before.

Last edited:

Masonomace

Yeah Shulk, get stuck in!
NNID
Masonomace
C'mon, step it up! :troll:
Being depressed reading this, Sonic's side & down taunts in Sm4sh are TBA / unconfirmed. And I would consider them two huge nerfs if his best taunts in Brawl get removed.:urg:
"C'mon step it up!"
"You're too slow!"
:4sonic:

And Krystal should be in Sm4sh imho.
Palutena's main focus isn't her staff, it's her custom movesets and krystal and palutena would play completely different. Also does palutena really use the staff? I mean with a staff you normally smack or stab things, palutena doesn't do that
Her N-air seems pretty top tier to me.:urg:

Xenorange

Smash Lord
Being depressed reading this, Sonic's side & down taunts in Sm4sh are TBA / unconfirmed. And I would consider them two huge nerfs if his best taunts in Brawl get removed.:urg:
"C'mon step it up!"
"You're too slow!"
:4sonic:

And Krystal should be in Sm4sh imho.

Her N-air seems pretty top tier to me.:urg:
Roger Craig would just butcher them anyways, Ryan D and Jason G for life.

Weeman

Smash Crusader
I agree, i guess it's the thought of getting more characters what makes people love the idea, you know the more the merrier i guess. But the problem is that i'm not sure how much more time could Sakurai and the Smash team spend on this DLC, i would assume that making new characters would take time in order to incorporate them properly with the rest of the cast, and considering how fast Sakurai moves from one project to another, his arm injury and his politics of making his games as complete as he can, i doubt they would really invest time in major DLC.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
Roger Craig Smith is the biggest buff Sonic could ever get in Smash

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
Please jason was awful until 4 years after he started. Can people just give roger a god damn chance
I don't understand why Jason was cut when he voiced both Sonic & Shadow & was doing fairly well later, then gets cut for Roger who voices just Sonic.
I dislike the Voice Actor process for Sega.:ohwell:

I'm willing to give Roger a chance. But cutting Jason was a bigger impact causing two VA's replace one, being Jason.

Edit: I understand why & how Sega does with their VAs, but it was still a dumb move to cut Jason, imho.

Last edited:

Weeman

Smash Crusader
Roger Craig Smith is the biggest buff Sonic could ever get in Smash
I don't understand why Jason was cut when he voiced both Sonic & Shadow & was doing fairly well later, then gets cut for Roger who voices just Sonic.
I dislike the Voice Actor process for Sega.:ohwell:

I'm willing to give Roger a chance. But cutting Jason was a bigger impact causing two VA's replace one, being Jason.

Edit: I understand why & how Sega does with their VAs, but it was still a dumb move to cut Jason, imho.
You're both wrong :awesome:
Ryan Drummond will always be the best.

TheDarkKnightNoivern

Smash Master
@ Weeman Weeman I've already shown @ Xenorange Xenorange this but, this video helps prove Ryan is for life.

Basically, Krystal deserves to be in Sm4sh, F-Zero deserves a 2nd character, Warioware deserves a 2nd character. :shades: Likes are imminent.
And DK deserves a 3rd/4th

Since we're talking Sonic actors, why, JUST WHY did they cut Jason Griffith for Kirk Thornton for Shadow?

Cause they redid the entire voice cast, not sure why kirk was chosen though, like was there no other options

Last edited:

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
@ kylexv kylexv I. . .I could not last 8 seconds. . .

Kirk isn't a bad VA, but his voice role for Shadow is not only lacking in the amount he voices for Shadow but also not shadow-fitting. . .

Edit; Half of my post is subjective

Last edited:

Xenorange

Smash Lord
Please jason was awful until 4 years after he started. Can people just give roger a god damn chance

Plus he's doing better than jason ever did
I'll admit that Jason wasn't as good as Ryan (it's impossible for anyone to be that good) but I always felt that his voice was more fitting for Sonic than Roger's.
Edit: Roger is definitely a nerf.

Last edited:

TheDarkKnightNoivern

Smash Master
@ kylexv kylexv I. . .I could not last 8 seconds. . .

Kirk isn't a bad VA, but his voice role for Shadow is not only lacking in the amount he voices for Shadow but also not shadow-fitting. . .

Edit; Half of my post is subjective
I'm sure his voiced will be improved in Sonic Boom, amy's voice has improved so I don't see why shadow's can't
I know kirk has it in him
*Shudders at the thought of amy's old voice*

Last edited:

TheDarkKnightNoivern

Smash Master
I'll admit that Jason wasn't as good as Ryan (it's impossible for anyone to be that good) but I always felt that his voice was more fitting for Sonic than Roger's.
Edit: Roger is definitely a nerf.
I actually think roger fits the current sonic very well, like if they brought back jason and kept the same dialogue he would feel incredibly out of place

ElPanandero

Smash Lord
NNID
ElPanandero
I don't get why you are upset with Sakurai attempting to make a character more unique. He is taking something that is canon to a recent game (Uprising) and using it to not only develop the character, but also promote a mechanic in the game. Who cares if she seem to "share" moves from other characters? These moves are pretty distinct from their counterparts (outside of Warp, Counter, and Jump Glide). Compared this to a a lot of semi-clones and clones that use practically identical animations and/or projectiles.

You see this in Luigi, Toon Link, Falco, Lucina, Wolf, Ganon and Lucas. Are you complaining about these characters at all? I thought you understood the competitive values of these types of characters, as you seem to be aware of the competitive Melee community. Doesn't that apply to Palutena, but as a unison of several attributes from (incidentally, as Sakurai did not intend her to share **** from other characters; you just interpreted as such) several characters instead of merely duplicating them?

Also you forgot Auto-reticle in your list of Powers and got half of the names of the Powers wrong. Go play Uprising before you start hating on a concept you don't even understand.
Let's see, lots to sort through here:

I thought I said Auto-reticle is unique, if I did then my bad.

Clones aren't a problem for me because they have 4 moves, they spent 4 moves worth of development time to make them, Plat has the special moves of approximatly 2.5/3 clones, that's a waste of time in my opinon.

I got the list from smash wiki, if its wrong blame them, I don't have to know the 'official" names of these moves in order to describe them, were you the annoying semantics guy from before? Because it seems like you're doing it again.

I don't think any of them are that different, I guess I can't convince you they aren't, but it seems grossly difficult to argue that they are unique.

You cannot tell me what Sakurai intend, nor can I, you can't tell me that "Sakurau did not intend for her to share ****" nor can I tell you he did, all I can tell you is that these are very visibly extraordinarily similar to other moves, which I very aptly described in my last post.

I don't have to play Uprising, because this has nothing to ****ing do with Uprising. I'm talking about Smash. In Smash Pally has a bunch of cloned moves, which his her "mechanic". This is, in my opinon, a dumb mechanic for any character, it does not matter if there is source material to back it up outside of smash because I don't care what any of these characters do in their source material, they all of lots of potential alternate moves, but none of them use them. If I played all the way through Uprising, saw all these in action, came back to smash, I would still look at her and say "Wow what a dumb mechanic". I really don't understand this part of your argument.

Did I miss anything? I'd hate to have you bring it up in like 8 posts and hold it agianst me

EDIT: Oh and the competitive game jab you tried to use about clones, I don't know what custom movesets are gonna be allowed, but I have a feeling basic movesets are gonna be the only thing tourney legal, so Pally
s extra moves won't matter there, so also a moot argument if that happens. You can't really argue competitive viability until we have an official ruleset with a ruling on competitive customization

Last edited:

Weeman

Smash Crusader
I'm sure his voiced will be improved in Sonic Boom, amy's voice has improved so I don't see why shadow's can't
I know kirk has it in him
Hopefully that's the case, i swear i think the best VAs for Shadow and Sonic were the ones in SA2, but sadly the ****ty sound quality in that game didn't make them justice.

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
@ TheDarkKnightNoivern TheDarkKnightNoivern
I can't wait for Sonic Boom actually. I kind of like Roger's Sonic in Boom, plus Amy did get a buff in voicing. I sure hope Kirk can pull through for Shadow's sake. And. this v v v
Well, I'll have to hear it first to see if I like it. I don't have too much hope though.
Edit; we should discuss Sm4sh before it's too off-topic about Sonic Boom.:surprised:

Last edited:

Xenorange

Smash Lord
@ TheDarkKnightNoivern TheDarkKnightNoivern
I can't wait for Sonic Boom actually. I kind of like Roger's Sonic in Boom, plus Amy did get a buff in voicing. I sure hope Kirk can pull through for Shadow's sake. And. this v v v

Edit; we should discuss Sm4sh before it's too off-topic about Sonic Boom.:surprised:
Oh god is the "you got dis Sawnik" nerd voicing Shadow in boom? Uh oh.

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
Disregarding Roger's voice in Sm4sh for Sonic nerfing or buffing the character itself, I think the one voice everyone either doesn't know of confirmed for, or doesn't bring up, is Sean Schemmel voice acting for :4lucario:, with already proven stronger aura-based attacks, which buffs "Anubis" as a strategy in Doubles.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom