• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shagadelic_Baby

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5112-4301-7728
Let's be real here, and not get blinded by nostalgia, Ryan was alright at best. He did do a lot better during the end of his career as Sonic, though. (Jason was getting better at the end of his Sonic as well) I'd say Rodger has been doing just fine as Sonic. I've also noticed that as the franchise goes on Sonic's voice gets deeper, I just hope it doesn't get any deeper than it is now.

GunGunW

Smash Lord
NNID
GunGunW
Let's be real here, and not get blinded by nostalgia, Ryan was alright at best. He did do a lot better during the end of his career as Sonic, though. (Jason was getting better at the end of his Sonic as well) I'd say Rodger has been doing just fine as Sonic. I've also noticed that as the franchise goes on Sonic's voice gets deeper, I just hope it doesn't get any deeper than it is now.
I think it's more of a matter of opinion than it is nostalgia.

Niala

Smash Ace
I just put up a match of one vs one at Hyrule Temple with no items and left it running all night. I woke up next morning and left the match and bang I had the Mewtwo approach screen.

I found the Brawl characters harder to unlock then the Melee characters.
That's a fine solution, but the fact remains that if you need to let the game play itself to unlock the entirety of it's content, it's a poor design.

I would argue opposite, most of the characters in Brawl could be unlocked through the Subspace Emissary, which was simple enough. And they all had a third unlock condition because of that, instead of only two. I found it much easier to unlock the Brawl characters, personally.

GunGunW

Smash Lord
NNID
GunGunW
I think since there's no story mode this time around, there will be no ace in the hole for unlocking someone.

(of course, even the non subspace ways to unlock characters were easier in Brawl than in Melee. Like five matches to unlock Ness Really?)

volbound1700

Smash Master
That's a fine solution, but the fact remains that if you need to let the game play itself to unlock the entirety of it's content, it's a poor design.

I would argue opposite, most of the characters in Brawl could be unlocked through the Subspace Emissary, which was simple enough. And they all had a third unlock condition because of that, instead of only two. I found it much easier to unlock the Brawl characters, personally.

SSE takes forever to complete. As I said, I was able to get all the Melee characters in 2 days. Melee stages are harder to unlock then Brawls.

GunGunW

Smash Lord
NNID
GunGunW
SSE takes forever to complete. As I said, I was able to get all the Melee characters in 2 days. Melee stages are harder to unlock then Brawls.
That may be true, but Subspace also gives players who aren't very good at the game an easy, sure fire way to unlock everyone. Play through the game on easy, even if it takes a little bit, you'll get them all guaranteed.

CJ Falcon

Smash Lord
That may be true, but Subspace also gives players who aren't very good at the game an easy, sure fire way to unlock everyone. Play through the game on easy, even if it takes a little bit, you'll get them all guaranteed.
Not exactly. I'm pretty sure that Toon Link, Wolf, and Jigglypuff were pretty hard to find in SSE.

FalcoPaunch!121

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
5386-9681-7388

I
Exept for Jigglypuff, Toon Link, and Wolf.

EDIT: kremling klansmen beat me to it.

Last edited:

CodeBlue_

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-2347-7011-5339
I don't think any of them are that different, I guess I can't convince you they aren't, but it seems grossly difficult to argue that they are unique.
I can't agree with you that they aren't unique, so I think we have reached an impass on opinion.

I got the list from smash wiki, if its wrong blame them, I don't have to know the 'official" names of these moves in order to describe them, were you the annoying semantics guy from before? Because it seems like you're doing it again.
No I don't think I was that guy. I'm sorry for the little nitpick. It just tends to show how bias against someone is in an argument.

You cannot tell me what Sakurai intend, nor can I, you can't tell me that "Sakurau did not intend for her to share ****" nor can I tell you he did, all I can tell you is that these are very visibly extraordinarily similar to other moves, which I very aptly described in my last post.
Unfortunately, whether they prove similar to other is very subjective. The move could look similar, but serve a different purpose or have different attributes, kinda like how a clone works. Huh. Sakurai doesn't really care if moves are similar to each other or not, however. A character being unique does not entail that they have to have completely unique specials moves that are completely separate from every other special move in the game. That would be insane to come up with.

I don't have to play Uprising, because this has nothing to ****ing do with Uprising. I'm talking about Smash. In Smash Pally has a bunch of cloned moves, which his her "mechanic". This is, in my opinon, a dumb mechanic for any character, it does not matter if there is source material to back it up outside of smash because I don't care what any of these characters do in their source material, they all of lots of potential alternate moves, but none of them use them. If I played all the way through Uprising, saw all these in action, came back to smash, I would still look at her and say "Wow what a dumb mechanic". I really don't understand this part of your argument.
Uprising inspired Palutena's moveset just as Samus being floaty is inspired by her games as well as Charizard's Fire Blast is canon to its games. Her mechanic is based on the Powers of Uprising. I have already stated that they appear like cloned moves because the game they originate from is made by Sakurai. Even if you feel it is dumb mechanic, there is a reason that it is in the game. I personally like the concept of the Powers, and you don't have to necessarily agree with me on that. Just don't assume that the powers are simply clones of other moves. That isn't how they are designed and it comes back to my point of not having every single special move being forced to be unique.

EDIT: Oh and the competitive game jab you tried to use about clones, I don't know what custom movesets are gonna be allowed, but I have a feeling basic movesets are gonna be the only thing tourney legal, so Pally
s extra moves won't matter there, so also a moot argument if that happens. You can't really argue competitive viability until we have an official ruleset with a ruling on competitive customization
My point was that the moves may be similar to other characters, but they may perform a different fucntion or introduce a different way of using them. Just Fox's lasers have a different function than Falco's lasers despite being pretty much the same. I don't see you worked up over that.

My big problem with your argument is that you are upset because Sakurai is putting more content into a character and you feel it is her only niche. You make Palutena your most hated newcomer simply because Sakurai put in the extra effort to put something in the game, which unfortunately, is too similar to other *****in moves that are used by other characters to be worth having apparently. Why does this community complain about new content that they don't find useful? Does it really take away anything from the game? Why do people get worked up over Lucina? Making her a clone actually LESSENS the development time needed for her and people go up and wish her gone out of spite. Seriously? You want to take something that promotes diversity away simply because you find it lazy? Can you guys ever have enough? I'm worked up over your first post because it represents a lot of why I don't like Smashboards as a whole. You guys can never be satisfied.

I'm sorry for calling you out. Just have to rant.

Last edited:

Masonomace

Yeah Shulk, get stuck in!
NNID
Masonomace
Well it's not an issue this time around with how smoothly the game development seems to be doing, but. If any characters don't make the cut, you all know what's going to be said about that right?
Mii Fighters & Palutena de-confirmed other characters, it's all their fault.:troll:
New but still on the same track:

How would you like your characters to be unlocked?
Example: :4falcon:. Beat classic mode in less than xx / xx minutes / seconds.

Must be speed-demon worthy. Same can go for :4sonic:.

Last edited:

FalcoPaunch!121

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
5386-9681-7388
Well it's not an issue this time around with how smoothly the game development seems to be doing, but. If any characters don't make the cut, you all know what's going to be said about that right?

New but still on the same track:

How would you like your characters to be unlocked?
Example: :4falcon:. Beat classic mode in less than xx / xx minutes / seconds.

Must be speed-demon worthy. Same can go for :4sonic:.
:4pacman:get a score on the angry bird like home run contest(i forget the name)

Oh yeay. Japanese version will be released in 25 days. how many trailers will be included from now on?

Last edited:

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
@ Masonomace Masonomace
Had a group get-together that drained me, so I'll compile that list I promised tomorrow for sure.
I have great levels of respect for you, so no worries. I did some list-picking myself so I'm not too hopeless for this list. And have a good mornight. (it's past midnight in my time zone.)

Edit: Also yes yes yes @ Kenith Kenith .

I'd like to keep secrets in the game too. Much more exciting that way

Last edited:

Burruni

Smash Hero
With the characters that we know that I see being unlockable, here are my ideas beyond play # of matches.
:4falcon:: Complete Classic Mode in under 15 minutes! (based on the time increase from 64 to Brawl's changes)
:4lucario:: Beat "X" Score in Home Run Contest with one character.
:4lucina:: Complete Classic Mode with Marth with no continues! (Roy's Melee unlock)
:4luigi:: Complete Classic Mode with Mario with no continues!
:4marth:: Complete Classic Mode on Hard or higher.
:4metaknight:: Play 15 VS Matches on Battleship Halberd (new Kirby stage in 3DS?, Snake's basic unlock in Brawl).
:4mii:: Complete classic with all other characters, (Mr. G&W had this in Melee, they are the known character that fit this best based on their unlocks in the Mario Kart games).
:4palutena:: Win a round of Smash Run! (Not sure for the WiiU version).
:4pacman:: Beat "XY" Score in Target Blast! accumulated between all characters.
:4robinm::4robinf:: Complete Classic Mode with all starting characters. (Know thy enemy!)
:rosalina:: ...I have no idea, but I feel she's going to be unlockable. Something tied to Luigi?
:4sonic:: Complete Classic mode with 35 characters.
:4tlink:: Complete "Z" event in Event Mode! (Assuming this mode returns, I would love to see one based on "7 Years" in Melee, Link vs Toon Link)

For unlockable veterans likely to return...
:falco:: Complete 100 Multi-Man Smash
:ganondorf:: Complete Classic Mode as Link/Zelda/Sheik on Normal or higher.
:jigglypuff:: Complete Classic. Any character, any stock, any difficulty. (64 unlock)
:ness2:: Complete Classic Mode on Normal or Higher with no continues (3 stock maximum, 64 unlock).
:gw:: Play 25 VS Matches on Gameboy stage (Reminiscent of Flatzone, Number refers to Melee roster, no clue for WiiU)
:rob:: Collect # of Trophies
:wolf:: Complete "S" event in Event Mode! (Like Tink, but based on the Brawl event)

PS. Edit: I know most are tied to Classic Mode, but that is a staple of Smash for being tied to unlocks.

Last edited:

TheDarkKnightNoivern

Smash Master
With the characters that we know that I see being unlockable, here are my ideas beyond play # of matches.
:4falcon:: Complete Classic Mode in under 15 minutes! (based on the time increase from 64 to Brawl's changes)
:4lucina:: Complete Classic Mode with Marth with no continues! (Roy's Melee unlock)
:4metaknight:: Play 15 VS Matches on Battleship Halberd (new Kirby stage in 3DS?, Snake's basic unlock in Brawl).
:4mii:: Complete classic with all other characters, (Mr. G&W had this in Melee, they are the known character that fit this best based on their unlocks in the Mario Kart games).
:4robinm::4robinf:: Complete Classic Mode with all starting characters. (Know thy enemy!)
:rosalina:: ...I have no idea, but I feel she's going to be unlockable. Something tied to Luigi?
:4tlink:: Complete "Z" event in Event Mode! (Assuming this mode returns, I would love to see one based on "7 Years" in Melee, Link vs Toon Link)

:jigglypuff:: Complete Classic. Any character, any stock, any difficulty. (64 unlock)
:ness2:: Complete Classic Mode on Normal or Higher with no continues (3 stock maximum, 64 unlock).
:gw:: Play 25 VS Matches on Gameboy stage (Reminiscent of Flatzone, Number refers to Melee roster, no clue for WiiU)
:wolf:: Complete "S" event in Event Mode! (Like Tink, but based on the Brawl event)

PS. Edit: I know most are tied to Classic Mode, but that is a staple of Smash for being tied to unlocks.
So ike would be the only FE starter? he's a bit irrelevant for that, don't you think?

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
Nice @ Burruni Burruni , though I disagree that Lucina would be an unlockable.
I'm not quite sure if Palutena, Robin, or even the Mii Fighters will be starter or unlockable. Lucina being a balanced novice-Marth leads me to believe she'd be a starter in the final finished product roster.

Again nice unlockable scenarios:4pacman:

NNID
Nightdazer
3DS FC
0731-4784-1465
I'm not quite sure if Palutena, Robin, or even the Mii Fighters will be starter or unlockable. Lucina being a balanced novice-Marth leads me to believe she'd be a starter in the final finished product roster.

We could get a switcheroo and have Lucina be the starter with Marth being unlockable....

Burruni

Smash Hero
So ike would be the only FE starter? he's a bit irrelevant for that, don't you think?
Ike is the lord of two of the most popular Fire Emblem games, excluding the boon Awakening was. If anyone else was to be a starter, it would be Robin in my opinion and you could shift around their unlock condition for someone like Mr. G&W. Marth is best kept as an unlock and Lucina kinda getting the same treatment as Roy seemed fitting. Then again, of the 3 Star Fox characters I only see Fox being a starter. A matter of personal choice.

Edit:

See, I see Lucina as a "more agile, balanced-sword Marth with better air game and no tipper forcing her to zone at the cost of some kill power that the tipper is known for." Rather than "novice" Marth. Due to this, I could easily see her getting Roy's treatment even if the differences of them to Marth aren't the same.

Edit to the Edit: THIS IS ALL PERSONAL PREFERENCE XD, but basically "If this character was unlockable, this is what I'd see as a likely unlock condition."

Last edited:

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
We could get a switcheroo and have Lucina be the starter with Marth being unlockable....
That's what I'm predicting as well. Ike's case being starter or unlockable either way, I'm content, I'd lean with him being unlockable.

Idk, it's personal taste. I'd feel more comfortable if Lucina was the only FE starter. Kind of like Fox's scena---
:4greninja:'d by @ Burruni Burruni

Muster

Smash Lord
NNID
Muster
3DS FC
3454-0690-6658

Marth is on the cover of the 3ds version along with Rosalina, i'm sure they're both starters this time,
the sonic one seems a bit steep considering he's a veteran, and the requirement was 10 characters before.
the rest of them are good, i like how Robin's is a reference to Marth's melee unlock where you had to play as each character.

Last edited:

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
@ Muster Muster
If you're going off of just the covers, which have been true from 64's cover 'till Brawl, it's a confirmed pattern that isn't just coincidence.
But :4yoshi:, :4marth:, & :rosalina: are only on the 3DS cover. None of them are on the WiiU cover, while :4wiifit: isn't on the 3DS cover.

If this is the case then WiiU & 3DS will not have the same starting roster. Seems :083: to me.

Muster

Smash Lord
NNID
Muster
3DS FC
3454-0690-6658
@ Muster Muster
If you're going off of just the covers, which have been true from 64's cover 'till Brawl, it's a confirmed pattern that isn't just coincidence.
But :4yoshi:, :4marth:, & :rosalina: are only on the 3DS cover. None of them are on the WiiU cover, while :4wiifit: isn't on the 3DS cover.

If this is the case then WiiU & 3DS will not have the same starting roster. Seems :083: to me.
or you know, they could have all the characters from both the covers in the starting roster, it's not like sakurai isn't capable of such a thing.
DK and peach are also only on the wii u version while little mac is only on the 3ds version as well, adding all unique characters up would only be 14 characters, which is probably only a portion of the starting roster.

Burruni

Smash Hero
Marth is on the cover of the 3ds version along with Rosalina, i'm sure they're both starters this time,
the sonic one seems a bit steep considering he's a veteran, and the requirement was 10 characters before.
the rest of them are good, i like how Robin's is a reference to Marth's melee unlock where you had to play as each character.
The Box Art argument just doesn't stand with me. Brawl's box art had Sonic and Snake (on the back).

Rosalina, to me, has the chance of being unlockable solely so Mario doesn't have 4 characters on the starting.

Marth has the tradition in how he has been unlocked, and I would like to see it remain.

Want Sonic to be a starter? Alright. Make Megaman unlockable and give him Sonic's condition as I listed. I think we can easilly see one third party character on the starting roster, but surely not two.

Edit PS.: One of the weirdest spoilers to me when I was but a wee gamer, with Smash 64 being one of my first games ever, was with one of the four unlockables. Even though I was a fan of the Pokemon TV show, I didn't recognize Jigglypuff or something like that with the shadows at the end of the intro. It was the fact that the second stage in Classic Mode, the first thing I did in the game, "Pikachu vs. Mario Bros.!" And since luigi, ironically, can often be the lasts character someone unlocks in that game can be seen clearly before unlocking their first... it was weird to me. Infact, the "How to Play" that went on if you waited at the start menu for too long had only Mario & Luigi!

Last edited:

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473

The roster on the top is my Prediction Roster. The separated row has other characters that I'd like to see, but doubt they'll be in the game. This will most likely be my last roster. Maybe one more near the Japanese release.

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
@ Rockaphin Rockaphin
Only 50 character slots for your guaranteed prediction? That's such a small number.:urg:

But kidding around, let's get to my rating of your roster.
Going with your guaranteed 50, I give a :4falcon::4falcon::4falcon::4falcon::4falcon::4falcon::4falcon: out of 10 HYESZ! for barely having 18 newcomers if we count Mewtwo as the special 18th veteran newcomer.
Thanks for Posting!

Edit: Forgot to mention that I consider Mii Fighters 3 playable characters, so that makes 18

Last edited:

Muster

Smash Lord
NNID
Muster
3DS FC
3454-0690-6658
The Box Art argument just doesn't stand with me. Brawl's box art had Sonic and Snake (on the back).

Want Sonic to be a starter? Alright. Make Megaman unlockable and give him Sonic's condition as I listed. I think we can easilly see one third party character on the starting roster, but surely not two.
This is cover artwork, not the entire cover.
Sakurai thinks that it fits 3rd parties to be unlockable characters, but they obviously have to be shown off as their companies logo is on the game, and they provide lots of publicity in coming to the game. Not to mention that Snake and sonic were on the back, where megaman/sonic/pac man will likely be in the 3ds/wiiu version.

I never said i wanted sonic as a starter, i was saying that sonic should get a lighter unlock quota considering unlocking him in brawl was easier, and that there is no reason to make it such a large requirement this time.

Last edited:

Scamper52596

Smash Lord
Premium
So it has been over four hours since the last post. We should get this thread up and running again.

About how many newcomers do you guys think we have left? I'm thinking 5 to 7. That of course counting secret newcomers.

ZecaOMestre

Smash Apprentice
So it has been over four hours since the last post. We should get this thread up and running again.

About how many newcomers do you guys think we have left? I'm thinking 5 to 7. That of course counting secret newcomers.
I don't know. At least two, at best five. I think we'll see another newcomer before the game is released and every other will be secret

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
@ Scamper52596 Scamper52596
Count me in for current topic.

I'm gonna say maybe at most we'll get 6 more newcomers, with 2 being super secret.

5 more would satisfy me because of my universal 18+ brand newcomer rule of thumb since we currently have 13 playable newcomers in the roster.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom