• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
I don't think Jigglypuff is as unique as many would say, she started as a Kirby pseudo-clone and has differentiated further, but both Pikachu, Charizard, Lucario, and Mewtwo were more unique in my opinion.

I'd love to see either Clefairy over Jigglypuff or a Clefairy alt.

And I understand that Jigglypuff is a series staple, you cant argue against that. However, she's among the least popular veteran characters. This isn't a very good reason to cut the character, but I think it should be taken into consideration why some think she's expendable. Original 12 or not.

Just my opinion on the matter. I don't think any of the original 12 will be cut.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
You're saying that she's on the block for being cut, but then you bring up a replacement for her. Giving her moveset to someone else defeats the entire point of cutting her to begin with. Cuts happen because there isn't time to put in certain characters, and the ones who are cut were judged to not be as important to the game as others. By cutting Jigglypuff and replacing her with King Boo you not only don't cut down on the amount of work it takes, it'd actually take much more work than simply copy pasting Jigglypuff from Brawl's engine. Jigglypuff's saving grace has always been that she's so devilish simple to develop because of her proportions, any replacement would also defeat that point totally. Jigglypuff's moveset would only ever be given to someone else if Sakurai specifically really don't want her in the game anymore, and if he feels like that (which he obviously doesn't) then he'd probably rather just cut her completely. There's a reason no moveset has been given to an entirely different character yet, it's too much of a bother and really only serves to piss off Smash fans.

I also want to point out that cuts have thus far only happened to characters whos movesets were unpopular. Dr. Mario, Roy, Pichu and Young Link were not as popular clones as say Falco and Ganondorf, thus they were cut. Mewtwo was by far and wide the most unpopular character outside of the four cut clones, maybe even more unpopular than Dr. Mario, thus he was axed too. Importance or series representation isn't a reason to cut anyone, we know gameplay is what determines who gets in as newcomers, so it's quite obvious gameplay will also determine who gets the axe, and in that vein there are a good number of Brawl characters who'd get the axe before Jiggs, even unique ones like R.O.B.

Jigglypuff holds her own as a Pokémon rep in Smash though. We can include Mewtwo on top of her and we're fine, anyone past that will only turn into another Jigglypuff in the future, even someone like Sceptile. I call it stupid because from a development standpoint it makes no sense.
Well, the entire first paragraph about a character being replaced by another is nullified by the fact that
1- Toon Link replaced Young Link; Lucina has now replaced Roy.
2- Charaters are not cut and pasted (see below); also, really, Boo is supposed to have more difficult proportions than Jigglypuff? That was just a suggestion mate, that she can easily be replaced because she is clutter.
3- You are not Sakurai, please don't tell me what qualifies a character to be cut, particularly when it comes down to reading my opinion as to why she should be cut, and then disregarding it as if it is not there, rather than countering it in any way.

(Note also that Roy's move set was in fact quite popular, as was Young Link, and they were both cut)

You can claim 'Importance as a series is not what makes a newcomer, gameplay is,' but I have a hard time thinking anyone actually believes that. Both are important, but first, you must be important to the series. What if Sakurai came up with the most brilliant move set for a goomba! It wouldn't be added. Wii Fit Trainer? Important series, fourth best selling series of all time. Is her move set something special? Absolutely not.

You also mention cutting and pasting Jigglypuff from Brawl's engine. Nope.

The Smash Bros. developer takes the same care and considerations when redesigning returning characters, like Mario, Donkey Kong and Samus Aran from Metroid. They start from scratch with every character, Sakurai said, first determining how those characters should be graphically represented on new hardware. How characters look, in terms of color, precision and resolution, must be considered before they're designed. That's a challenge for the new Smash Bros., which will have two different levels of visual fidelity and graphical styles across the Wii U and 3Ds versions of the game.

The developer then factors in game balance, how an established character will coexist with new ones, and the predefined characteristics of that character should be implemented with Smash Bros. gameplay systems.

"For example, look at Samus," Sakurai said. "She's sort of floaty [in Super Smash Bros.]. The reason we've represented her that way is we've taken some of the inspiration from the original Metroid. I think the reason Samus felt floaty in the game is because you have to jump so much, you have to have a certain level of accuracy while you're jumping and shooting. By enabling her to be floaty, you're slowing down that motion allowing for better accuracy in her shooting. At least, that's how I interpret why she was floaty in the original game."

"What's important about that is realizing why Samus moves the way she does," Sakurai explained, "not just saying, 'This is how she moved in a previous game, so we're going to represent that because that's the way she's always been.' I have to really go and think about it all again before I give her that representation. It's making sure we understand that and using the same logic in creating her in this world."

Last edited:

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
I never even heard of him being in Melee. He might have been considered but I doubt they ever wanted to pick him before Fox.
Who said anything about him getting in before Fox? Wolf was originally going to be Foxes clone, not Falco, but Sakurai was afraid that with him looking so similar to Fox and him sharing his animations that people would see him as just a grey colored Fox. They ended up adding Falco instead because he looked more aesthetically different and him being able to jump higher was a plus.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Who said anything about him getting in before Fox? Wolf was originally going to be Foxes clone, not Falco, but Sakurai was afraid that with him looking so similar to Fox and him sharing his animations that people would see him as just a grey colored Fox. They ended up adding Falco instead because he looked more aesthetically different and him being able to jump higher was a plus.
Wow. This sounds like a reason Dark Pit Might not be added.
Other than aesthetics, which seem to be one of two main points against Squirtle and Ivysaur.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Well, the entire first paragraph about a character being replaced by another is nullified by the fact that
1- Toon Link replaced Young Link; Lucina has now replaced Roy.
2- Charaters are not cut and pasted (see below); also, really, Boo is supposed to have more difficult proportions than Jigglypuff? That was just a suggestion mate, that she can easily be replaced because she is clutter.
3- You are not Sakurai, please don't tell me what qualifies a character to be cut, particularly when it comes down to reading my opinion as to why she should be cut, and then disregarding it as if it is not there, rather than countering it in any way.

(Note also that Roy's move set was in fact quite popular, as was Young Link, and they were both cut)

You can claim 'Importance as a series is not what makes a newcomer, gameplay is,' but I have a hard time thinking anyone actually believes that. Both are important, but first, you must be important to the series. What if Sakurai came up with the most brilliant move set for a goomba! It wouldn't be added. Wii Fit Trainer? Important series, fourth best selling series of all time. Is her move set something special? Absolutely not.

You also mention cutting and pasting Jigglypuff from Brawl's engine. Nope.
Moveset potential > Importance & Popularity in the sense that Robin was chosen over Chrom and Rosalina was chosen over Toad/Jr. Also, Wii Fit Trainer's "gimmick" is supposed to be her aesthetics as pointed out by Sakurai during his demonstration of her at E3 2013, nobody fights with fitness moves.

Toon Link is still just a young Link but with a different artstyle, so technically he really just is Young Link. Lucina didn't directly replace Roy, she happened under different circumstances two games later.

Neither Links were especially popular during the pre-Brawl period, and I only ever heard of Roy's popularity when I went into Smash 4's speculation period, during the pre-Brawl days no one really payed any respect to Roy at all, he was always just a worse Marth.

And your third point goes both ways, you're not Sakurai either, the only thing we have done for this entire year of speculation is assuming things judging from what has happened in the past. You can practically say that to everyone on this forum.

Last edited:

LeeYawshee

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2621-3044-6895
Sorry, I'm so tired that I meant Falco instead of Fox. I think it's time for me to get off the computer and go straight to bed.

Goodnight thread.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Moveset potential > Importance & Popularity in the sense that Robin was chosen over Chrom and Rosalina was chosen over Toad/Jr. Also, Wii Fit Trainer's "gimmick" is supposed to be her aesthetics as pointed out by Sakurai during his demonstration of her at E3 2013, nobody fights with fitness moves.
Ahh, I can we are just going to have to agree to disagree on quite a few things. When I listen to someone speak, particularly for something like this, I listen to the message, not the words. There is much PR involved, and I'm just going to flat out say there is nothing that will sell me on the idea that Wii Fit Trainer was chosen because Sakurai saw her and thought of a character that could 'powerup' with her breath, as plenty of other people can do that. If anything, it was reverse engineered that he wanted to include her and it happened to fit.

Toon Link is still just a young Link but with a different art style, so technically he really just is Young Link. Lucina didn't directly replace Roy, she happened under different circumstances two games later.
I mean, the result is the result buddy. You can decide for it what you want, regardless of how you deem it. Obviously they never say they cut a character in favor of another, that would merely build resentment for a new character from the fan base of the old character. This makes no sense. You cut one, introduce the other, and pretend they have no ties. Would you feel better if I said just cut Jigglypuff, and also, completely unrelated, introduce a floating character who can do the things I said Boo would do?

And your third point goes both ways, you're not Sakurai either, the only thing we have done for this entire year of speculation is assuming things judging from what has happened in the past. You can practically say that to everyone on this forum.
Yes, which is why it is important not to speak by stating things like, "This is what regulates cuts." You do not know what regulates cuts. It would be different to state, "in the single past game we saw cuts, this is what we can observe." Yet to assert yourself as an authority immediately puts a reader away, because neither you or I have authority on what actually is the decision making process, only by trying to ascertain what that decision making process is.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
I'd hate to break up this lovingly pointless debate, but I just had an idea. We're only 28 days away from the Japanese release of the game, four weeks. They must already be shipping copies out already, if they haven't already done so and stores are just holding them in the back until they're allowed to sell it. But of course, many times have games been sold earlier than the intended release date, Pokemon X/Y being a big example. In a matter of days, some lucky bloke in Japan may post the entire roster. Thoughts?

LeeYawshee

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2621-3044-6895
I'd hate to break up this lovingly pointless debate, but I just had an idea. We're only 28 days away from the Japanese release of the game, four weeks. They must already be shipping copies out already, if they haven't already done so and stores are just holding them in the back until they're allowed to sell it. But of course, many times have games been sold earlier than the intended release date, Pokemon X/Y being a big example. In a matter of days, some lucky bloke in Japan may post the entire roster. Thoughts?
Usually, games are finished a week or two before release date. it's still a bit too early if you ask me.

~Krystal~

True American Heroine
That would be nice. They've done a great job keeping it all under wraps for this long, at least when compared to the Brawl leaks that were pouring out - which no one believed. I'm ready to spoil it for myself and read the first fully comprehensive, credible leak in a long time. Probably the first time. :glare:

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
Usually, games are finished a week or two before release date. it's still a bit too early if you ask me.
Again, we're at exactly four weeks away from the game being released. Actually, Japan is one day closer. Games are finished quite a bit earlier than you think, as there are the various stages they go through before being ready for sale. Particularly, we've apparently had an ESRB rating for a while now, which means that the 3DS Smash has been "finished" for quite some time now. They would just be finishing with the testing phase, polishing any last minute bugs, etc, but the game certainly should be shipping right about now, as that process also takes quite a bit of time.
Was.... was my last 14 months completely meaningless?
Have a hug, mate.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Ahh, I can we are just going to have to agree to disagree on quite a few things. When I listen to someone speak, particularly for something like this, I listen to the message, not the words. There is much PR involved, and I'm just going to flat out say there is nothing that will sell me on the idea that Wii Fit Trainer was chosen because Sakurai saw her and thought of a character that could 'powerup' with her breath, as plenty of other people can do that. If anything, it was reverse engineered that he wanted to include her and it happened to fit.

I mean, the result is the result buddy. You can decide for it what you want, regardless of how you deem it. Obviously they never say they cut a character in favor of another, that would merely build resentment for a new character from the fan base of the old character. This makes no sense. You cut one, introduce the other, and pretend they have no ties. Would you feel better if I said just cut Jigglypuff, and also, completely unrelated, introduce a floating character who can do the things I said Boo would do?

Yes, which is why it is important not to speak by stating things like, "This is what regulates cuts." You do not know what regulates cuts. It would be different to state, "in the single past game we saw cuts, this is what we can observe." Yet to assert yourself as an authority immediately puts a reader away, because neither you or I have authority on what actually is the decision making process, only by trying to ascertain what that decision making process is.
I do agree with WFT, Sakurai said and demonstrated what he did, but animations don't sell me on a character either.

I don't really feel good about cutting Jigglypuff in any scenario, I think we're going to see characters like R.O.B, Wolf, Lucas, Ivysaur, Squirtle, Snake and even confirmed characters like Ike, Lucario and Toon Link go before she does, but that's just me, I'm of course fairly biased here. I don't think King Boo has the merits to stand on his own, especially as it presents the same "problem" that Pokémon has with over-representation, cutting a floaty character wouldn't really mean we should have a new floaty character to replace it, and even then we already have Rosalina for that. I don't think we'd need a character in Jigglypuff's place anyways if she should be cut, Kirby has always been here with a somewhat relatable playstyle.

I mostly say things that way because I don't want to repeat the same sentence in every one of my posts for over a year, I think it comes as logic that all I'm making is assumptions based on what I've observed, but then again I guess there are people who delude themselves that way, so it's very easy to read it that way. I personally never mean to sound definitive, what makes sense to me doesn't necessarily make sense that others obviously. Whenever you read one of my posts again just mentally add a big "IN MY OPINION" at the end of it :p

LeeYawshee

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2621-3044-6895
Again, we're at exactly four weeks away from the game being released. Actually, Japan is one day closer. Games are finished quite a bit earlier than you think, as there are the various stages they go through before being ready for sale. Particularly, we've apparently had an ESRB rating for a while now, which means that the 3DS Smash has been "finished" for quite some time now. They would just be finishing with the testing phase, polishing any last minute bugs, etc, but the game certainly should be shipping right about now, as that process also takes quite a bit of time.

Have a hug, mate.
Interesting. I remember Hyrule Warriors finishing only a week or two before it released. Then again the game is buggy...

Yeah, fair enough. Thanks for the clarification.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
Interesting. I remember Hyrule Warriors finishing only a week or two before it released. Then again the game is buggy...

Yeah, fair enough. Thanks for the clarification.
Another fun fact, Japan uses a different rating system from the ESRB, which heavily indicates that the English version of Smash 3DS has also been finished for quite some time now. The reason we have to wait longer is also likely due to shipping.

It's also possible that the English version is later in the debugging phase, and still has various licensing issues to iron out.

D

Deleted member

Kind of inevitable, really. I'm used to spoilers at this point so a leaked roster for me wouldn't ruin my hype (Even if I don't get my wanted characters since there will eventually mods).

But hey, I'm not Smashboards.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
Kind of inevitable, really. I'm used to spoilers at this point so a leaked roster for me wouldn't ruin my hype (Even if I don't get my wanted characters since there will eventually mods).

But hey, I'm not Smashboards.
I'm actually waiting for the full roster reveal, I don't get the same feeling most do when they see the "challenger approaching" screen. I'm usually more annoyed with the fact that I have to even unlock them in the first place.

I get enough hype just knowing that a character is there.

D

Deleted member

I'm actually waiting for the full roster reveal, I don't get the same feeling most do when they see the "challenger approaching" screen. I'm usually more annoyed with the fact that I have to even unlock them in the first place.

I get enough hype just knowing that a character is there.
Can't wait to burn 24 hours just to unlock a fighter! That would mean I have to keep my Wii U & 3DS charged! :troll:

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
If I could not know the roster ... I would not know it.
But Japan gets the game three weeks ahead, there is just simply not a way I would not find out in that time, without completely clearing any electronic and social media device, which is littered with smash history.
And even then I'd still find out.
I missed one game of the world cup, and did not want to know who won so I could watch it. My friends agreed not to spoil it, barely. Needless to say, because I am i Miami, right as I was walking into my abode, a car came by with the Colombian flag cheering and making tons of commotion. I was pissed.... right at the doorway!

I'm personally really hoping that the Wii U itself connects to the 3DS to unlock characters, and that i is just so damn well hidden people do not know (or, honestly, free DLC to even it out, so that we cannot know, is the only answer).

Last edited:

~Krystal~

True American Heroine
I'm looking forward to leaving my game on all day in VS mode. It'll be like Christmas morning to end the match and see what characters I've unlocked based on time alone.

Doompatron3000

Smash Journeyman
I'm personally really hoping that the Wii U itself connects to the 3DS to unlock characters, and that i is just so damn well hidden people do not know (or, honestly, free DLC to even it out, so that we cannot know, is the only answer).
Well I hope you're wrong. Waiting an additional couple of months after the 3DS version comes, just to unlock characters sounds awful. They might as well just release a demo with the starting roster, just to hold us over until both versions come out together, if they did that.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
So guys. . . .
There's still 18 Smash Brothers left TBA = To Be Announced.
Listing them off for reminder of forgetting:
:drmario::mewtwomelee::pichumelee::roymelee::younglinkmelee: / :falco::ganondorf::popo::ivysaur::jigglypuff::lucas::gw::ness2::rob::snake::squirtle::warioc: & :wolf:.

If you HAD to choose only 8 to return who'd they be? listing in order doesn't matter.
Personally, I want the following:

:ganondorfmelee: :jigglypuff: :lucas: :gw: :ness2: :rob: :warioc: :wolf:

ElPanandero

Smash Lord
NNID
ElPanandero
Well I hope you're wrong. Waiting an additional couple of months after the 3DS version comes, just to unlock characters sounds awful. They might as well just release a demo with the starting roster, just to hold us over until both versions come out together, if they did that.
I think he meant characters you unlock on your 3DS you could connect and insta unlock them on the wiiU version, which sounds awesome to me

ElPanandero

Smash Lord
NNID
ElPanandero
that is a good idea! and vice versa for the Wii U too right?
Assuming you get the wiiU version first :rotfl:

But yea, I hope for cross-unlockabliity, having to unlock everyone on their own twice would be tedious, especially fi they have all the wierd time consming ways from melee, was it Game and Watch who you had to play an obscene amount of matches to get?

MagnesD3

Smash Master
I'm looking forward to leaving my game on all day in VS mode. It'll be like Christmas morning to end the match and see what characters I've unlocked based on time alone.
That time will be gained by me for playing it 24/7, of course my experience is gonna be weird since Ill be using the 3ds first. With brawl I got it at midnight and played til 6 in the morning, I remember unlocking all characters up to lucario then finished when I woke up the next day. Oddly enough unlocking via subspace wasnt satisfying at all but at least I got to unlock everyone sooner I guess.

Last edited:

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
So guys. . . .
:drmario::mewtwomelee::pichumelee::roymelee::younglinkmelee: / :falco::ganondorf::popo::ivysaur::jigglypuff::lucas::gw::ness2::rob::snake::squirtle::warioc: & :wolf:.

If you HAD to choose only 8 to return who'd they be? listing in order doesn't matter.

:warioc:, :ganondorf:,:wolf:, :gw:,:ness2:,:rob:,:mewtwopm: and :pichumelee:

Bring back the joke character.

I mean the intentional joke character, not Ganondorf in Brawl.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
I don't think Jigglypuff is as unique as many would say, she started as a Kirby pseudo-clone and has differentiated further, but both Pikachu, Charizard, Lucario, and Mewtwo were more unique in my opinion.
She only shares a few animations, but other than that, no character plays like her. She has always been a character of extremes, being a purely aerial one. She even only just got an opposite in Little Mac in this game.

The only one remotely close to her is Wario, but playing both I can tell you that beyond being primarily aerial characters there's many differences between them. The jest of it is that Jigglypuff is much more aggressive and would rather approach and combo, which is a contrast to how defensive and patient Wario has to be. She has a well realized moveset. If Ike and Sheik stayed for having a moveset that aren't like any character in the game, then Puff should as well.

Last edited:

GunGunW

Smash Lord
NNID
GunGunW
If I only could bring back eight more veterans?

:ness2::gw::falco::warioc::ganondorf::rob::mewtwopm::popo:

Not all my favorites but if there were going to only be eight more returning, it should probably be them.

Niala

Smash Ace
So guys. . . .

:falco::lucas::ganondorf::warioc::jigglypuff::snake::gw::rob:

Would be my picks. Basically, I cut the Melee vets, as I don't see any necessity for them coming back, and then kept the characters I like most from Brawl, in order. Wolf/Squirtle/Ivysaur are all close picks, but I wanted to remain a bit diverse so I left out Wolf, and Squirtle/Ivysaur I just don't believe are coming back anyway.

Second Power

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0774-5502-4430
At this point I'm pretty much burned out of speculation and just want to actually play the game in all its glory, without having to wait another few months for the whole thing.

Edit: 8 veterans to return :falco::ganondorfmelee::popo::ivysaur::ness2::rob::warioc::wolf:

Last edited:

Gold_Jacobson

Smash Journeyman

Since there could be leaks, I wonder if Sakurai will jump the gun and just reveal all characters so that the roster is revealed well instead of through leaks.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
If I could describe this scenario in one word: Okay.

Not exactly the most respectable way to learn the entire roster, but whatever.
I get the answers I wanted.

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
She only shares a few animations, but other than that, no character plays like her. She has always been a character of extremes, being a purely aerial one. She even only just got an opposite in Little Mac in this game.

The only one remotely close to her is Wario, but playing both I can tell you that beyond being primarily aerial characters there's many differences between them. The jest of it is that Jigglypuff is much more aggressive and would rather approach and combo, which is a contrast to how defensive and patient Wario has to be. She has a well realized moveset. If Ike and Sheik stayed for having a moveset that aren't like any character in the game, then Puff should as well.
I agree with most of what you said, however, you must realize that many other people do not like her moveset either. I'm mostly referring towards casual players. Not only this but in a business perspective, why take the time and development towards a character that many find expendable/do not want. Casuals make up most of the consumer for Smash. Now, I can't speak for everyone, but I realize that there are many people out there who find her unneeded. Out of most of the veterans, she's one that receives the most criticism. Even her want score on SmashBoards is low considering she's one of the original 12. Also, I seriously doubt Ike and Sheik returned due to having a unique moveset. Ike was an extremely popular newcomer in Brawl and Sheik was originally part of Zelda. Mewtwo was a unique character in Melee and he was cut in the next game. Moveset could easily be fixed but instead, he was cut. Now he's the most requested Smash character.

Now, I don't think she needs to be cut, but I wouldn't oppose it either if that development time was used towards something else.

Last edited:

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
What would your reaction be in the hypothetical scenario where Roy returns as the first DLC character with a Luigified moveset but the exact same FS as Marth?

I expect the roster to be leaked out sooner than later.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
What would your reaction be in the hypothetical scenario where Roy returns as the first DLC character with a Luigified moveset but the exact same FS as Marth?

I expect the roster to be leaked out sooner than later.
Eh, I'm fine with the one clone of Marth, thanks.

I mean, I don't hate clones (...much), but more than one of the same character is pushing it, don't you think?

Let's make him an Ike clone instead. :troll:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom