• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Burruni

Smash Hero
Since there could be leaks, I wonder if Sakurai will jump the gun and just reveal all characters so that the roster is revealed well instead of through leaks.
He didn't reveal all the Brawl characters due to the leak. Didn't reveal Little Mac or Pac-Man in response to the first part of Gematsu, and Sakurai knows his fans. There's no need to show everyone on the website just because of the roster being known from Japan.

Last edited:

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
If I could describe this scenario in one word: Okay.

Not exactly the most respectable way to learn the entire roster, but whatever.
I get the answers I wanted.
Eh, doesn't matter to me.

It'd be kind of ironic though, if all of the third parties are on the back of the box like with Brawl. If some guy just posted a picture of the back of the box and we're all like "oh hey, Snake's there." And Rayman.

~Krystal~

True American Heroine
I sure hope it doesn't come to that. Melee was great but the way to unlock characters in it was just awful.
The Luigi requirement was nutty. How's anyone supposed to figure that out on their own? >_<
The alternative was 800 VS matches, so even if you rigged them to end quickly, it was still a chore.

Last edited:

GunGunW

Smash Lord
NNID
GunGunW
If I was to pick only eight veterans that I want to return instead of who I think should return, it would be more like this:
:falco::wolf::rob::gw::warioc::mewtwopm::ness2::ganondorf:

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
The Luigi requirement was nutty. How's anyone supposed to figure that out on their own? >_<
The alternative was 800 VS matches, so even if you rigged them to end quickly, it was still a chore.
Pretty much the reason I hate unlocking characters. Also probably why I loved SSE as opposed to most people, it was just a nice long stream of unlocking, and I rather liked that over "just play the game for a year and you should have everyone eventually."

GunGunW

Smash Lord
NNID
GunGunW
Pretty much the reason I hate unlocking characters. Also probably why I loved SSE as opposed to most people, it was just a nice long stream of unlocking, and I rather liked that over "just play the game for a year and you should have everyone eventually."
That's the biggest problem with story mode not being in the new one... how are we gonna unlock characters easily?

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Yeah, but once you knew how to unlock the characters in Melee, it was easy and would take an hour.
Except for Luigi and Mewtwo (and by extension Mr. Game & Watch)...

That was stupid.

However I actually want the characters to be difficult to unlock in Smash 4.
Something to hold me over for Smash 4 Wii U besides Smash Run.

God Robert's Cousin

Smash Hero
NNID
RepaignPalsims
3DS FC
4339-2483-2603
That's the biggest problem with story mode not being in the new one... how are we gonna unlock characters easily?
Classic Mode, Event Matches, and the rest of the friggin' game, maybe?

I recall starting a new file of Melee a few months back and unlocking everyone within 2 days. It's not that hard if you know how to unlock them in advance. Mewtwo's "play for 20 hours" criteria is simply leaving the game running overnight, and he's the hardest character to unlock short of Game & Watch, the latter of which just needs every Target Test other than his beaten first.

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
Yeah, but once you knew how to unlock the characters in Melee, it was easy and would take an hour.
Except for Luigi and Mewtwo (and by extension Mr. Game & Watch)...

That was stupid.

However I actually want the characters to be difficult to unlock in Smash 4.
Something to hold me over for Smash 4 Wii U besides Smash Run.
Mewtwo was the most tense battle I had ever faced in Melee, though. I thought if I lost, I might have to do the unlock condition all over again, so I was super tense the entire battle, and probably played worse than I would have otherwise.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux

I recall starting a new file of Melee a few months back and unlocking everyone within 2 days. It's not that hard if you know how to unlock them in advance. Mewtwo's "play for 20 hours" criteria is simply leaving the game running overnight, and he's the hardest character to unlock short of Game & Watch, the latter of which just needs every Target Test other than his beaten first.
Ever since my PS3 died of overheating from many nights of intensively long play, I dread the idea of leaving anything on overnight, let alone without playing on it. I particularly hope we don't have another Mewtwo, in any case.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Mewtwo's unlock requirement wasn't as much difficult as it was a bit of a chore and long process to get him. Unless you are dealing with the part where you fight him (Which I don't recall was that overly difficult either.... Although I just kept spamming Kirby's down special on him for that.....)

God Robert's Cousin

Smash Hero
NNID
RepaignPalsims
3DS FC
4339-2483-2603
Ever since my PS3 died of overheating from many nights of intensively long play, I dread the idea of leaving anything on overnight, let alone without playing on it. I particularly hope we don't have another Mewtwo, in any case.
An external cooling-fan that runs of being plugged into the USB of a laptop or console works effectively as well if that's your concern. At the very least, I know I have that option if we do get another Mewtwo-esque character with the same criteria.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Mewtwo was the most tense battle I had ever faced in Melee, though. I thought if I lost, I might have to do the unlock condition all over again, so I was super tense the entire battle, and probably played worse than I would have otherwise.
...If you lost against him, you would fight him again the next time you completed a Vs match.

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
...If you lost against him, you would fight him again the next time you completed a Vs match.
I know. I was terrified that I'd have to leave the game on for another 24 hours or whatever, though.

Was kind of relieved when I learned otherwise, even though I had already unlocked him.

Gold_Jacobson

Smash Journeyman
I'm going to be the first to call it.

We are getting a Pokemon ORAS character.

Mega Slowbro.

Last edited:

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
I want to play too before it dies:

:jigglypuff::ness2::falco::ganondorf::gw::warioc::ivysaur::snake:

Completely subjective.

Last edited:

GunGunW

Smash Lord
NNID
GunGunW

Well, I meant something along the lines of just zipping through a story mode without having to battle them afterwards.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
I've always liked unlocking characters in Smash Bros. Especially in Melee.
It feels you're completing a jigsaw puzzle with the greatest Nintendo characters on it.

Though I hope that, like Brawl, there's multiple methods to unlocking the characters in Smash 4 (if there are any)

GunGunW

Smash Lord
NNID
GunGunW
I've always liked unlocking characters in Smash Bros. Especially in Melee.
It feels you're completing a jigsaw puzzle with the greatest Nintendo characters on it.

Though I hope that, like Brawl, there's multiple methods to unlocking the characters in Smash 4 (if there are any)
I didn't; some of them were hard as a... but yeah, 64 wasn't as bad, but at the same time there were only four of them.

Buuuuuuuuuut as long as the characters I want the most aren't too terribly hard to get (:falco::4falcon:) then I'm fine.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
Just gimme a code that unlocks all characters in case I lose my save file or whatever because unlocking everyone again in Melee and Brawl was bullcrap

Burruni

Smash Hero
I didn't; some of them were hard as a... but yeah, 64 wasn't as bad, but at the same time there were only four of them.

Buuuuuuuuuut as long as the characters I want the most aren't too terribly hard to get (:falco::4falcon:) then I'm fine.
Just clear 100 Mii mash with DKs spammable down B and clear classic mode with speed. Just like you got those 2 in every other time they were unlocked.

ZeldaMaster

Smash Lord
I believe we are on the verge of a roster leak at this point. I suspect that Japanese Gaming Outlets will receive the game a week to two weeks ahead, and like Pokemon X & Y, I believe information will be somehow leaked. So, really, the rest of August is only what's left for Sakurai to show us what he wants before its leaked.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Yeah a roster leak is likely on its way. I'd keep an eye out on 4chan or anywhere Its been leaked before. I wasn't around pre-Brawl so I really don't know where else to look.

Regardless, it's coming very soon. The game is out in about a month, so the leak will be outed a week before at the latest.

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger
I am not as interested in roster speculation for the aforementioned reasons. I am a little disappointed that Sakurai did not market the game better or manipulate the hype in a more relevant way; however, we are going to get the roster in a matter of weeks regardless. I would have preferred to learn about each and every character over the course of the year, but I suppose a giant information dump is inevitable, we will learn the fate of the 13 veterans and perhaps 3 or 4 additional newcomers.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
:drmario::pichumelee::roymelee::younglinkmelee: :falco::ivysaur::jigglypuff::lucas::snake::squirtle:

Listing them off for reminder of forgetting:
deserve:mewtwomelee: :ganondorf::popo::ness2::rob::warioc: :wolf::gw:
cut :drmario::pichumelee::roymelee::younglinkmelee: :falco::ivysaur::jigglypuff::lucas::snake::squirtle:
I personally love Squirtle, Ivysaur, and would prefer Lucas to Ness. I just don't see it as necessary to the over all gameplay, and can respect what is better for the roster versus what I want, much better than most can.

Pretty clear in fact. You can replace maybe Falco for Wolf, but even Sakurai wanted Wolf in first in Melee. Ultimately in terms of character importance, the eight significant ones aren't even really debatable here. You can like oher ones, but there are 8 that quite stand out here.

Eh, doesn't matter to me.

It'd be kind of ironic though, if all of the third parties are on the back of the box like with Brawl. If some guy just posted a picture of the back of the box and we're all like "oh hey, Bomberman's there." And Rayman.
Fixed

Last edited:

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988
This is Sakurai we are talking about here. Hell, some of these characters didn't make any sense for Smash Bros, yet he gave them all creative movesets to help with their ability to fight. Guys like StarFox, Falcon, Ice Climbers, etc says hi

Isn't Axel a villain? Or anti hero like Shadow?

Honestly, I'm not 100% sold on the idea of Dark Pit. If he does somehow makes it as an alt attire, I probably would've given that spot to Vaati
I dunno I haven't played the game in a while.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I am not as interested in roster speculation for the aforementioned reasons. I am a little disappointed that Sakurai did not market the game better or manipulate the hype in a more relevant way; however, we are going to get the roster in a matter of weeks regardless. I would have preferred to learn about each and every character over the course of the year, but I suppose a giant information dump is inevitable, we will learn the fate of the 13 veterans and perhaps 3 or 4 additional newcomers.
He has manipulated the hype exceptionally well in my opinion; I've noticed many points at which you intentionally chose to ignore it because it wasn't as outright declared. He did not directly say a lot of things, because he utilized, as he did for Brawl, an approach of leaving more information out rather than in, to allow our imaginations to fill in the gap. You chose at every instance you could to blatantly ignore what was being suggested.
I was fine with this, because you proclaimed this entire time that you "wanted to be accurate," and that such pleased you much more so than theoretical postulations of esteemable estimations. Yet you directly stated you wanted to read his words point blank, rather than for the marketing techniques he was using. Do not say he wasn't building hype this whole time just because you refused to allow yourself to be hyped up, it was entirely on you.

Last edited:

Weeman

Smash Crusader
:wario::ganondorf::wolf::falco::snake::lucas::ness2::popo:
Would be my choices, though again, i would rather not have anyone cut.

Last edited:

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
I think it's more interesting if we were to ask ourselves what our eight most wanted characters were before E3 2013.

For me, there weren't that many. I wanted Ghirahim and that was it. I didn't consider anyone else that likely.
I didn't even consider the possibility of Mega Man until I saw him, and Rosalina until Super Mario 3D World.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom