• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShrekItRalph

Smash Ace
The smasher comes from the bottom of the arena
This is where you're confusing relevance with recency. Has he been in any recent games? No, so he doesn't have recency on his side. But he is still the main antagonist of the Donkey Kong franchise as a whole, and he's been the main antagonist more times than not. Ganondorf gets thrown to the side for new antagonists all the time, but that doesn't make him irrelevant. Hell, his last appearance was in Twilight Princess, all the way back in 2006*. Sure he's a veteran, but the idea is the same.

*Not counting WWHD, a remake, or Hyrule Warriors, which only just came out.
I don't think that is a fair comparison since Ganondorf has been relevant in the past few games even if he hasn't directly appeared. In Skyward Sword Demise is basically Ganondorf before he get's reincarnated as Ganondorf and In ALBW Yuga fuses with Ganondorf. That and also Ocarina of Time 3d and the fact that he has been playable in Melee and Brawl.

Last edited:

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
I don't think that is a fair comparison since Ganondorf has been relevant in the past few games even if he hasn't directly appeared. In Skyward Sword Demise is basically Ganondorf before he get's reincarnated as Ganondorf and In ALBW Yuga basicly fuses with Ganondorf. That and also Ocarina of Time 3d and the fact that he has been playable in Melee and Brawl.
Completely forgot about OoT3D, though that was also a remake, like WWHD.

Though you're also making a few unfair comparisons, as Yuga fuses with Ganon (minus the dorf), and Demise is his own character, though he does have a connection with Ganondorf. Really, if we want to throw things like that around, then King K. Rool is completely relevant since SPOILERS- The final boss of Tropical Freeze is a blatant homage to King K. Rool, practically using attacks directly ripped from all three of Rool's appearances in the DKC trilogy. -SPOILERS So there's that.

The point I was really trying to make is that recency =/= relevance, King K. Rool not appearing in any recent games doesn't make him any less relevant to the games that he has appeared in.

Last edited:

Masonomace

Yeah Shulk, get stuck in!
NNID
Masonomace
Last effort to make a decent roster. Just a flat roster no DLC involved.
Happy Life Anniversary BShadow.

Edit: 6 newcomers between now & final announcement of roster.

Technically 56 playable characters w/o DLC.

Last edited:

MagnesD3

Smash Master
We should add Dr. Luigi, Pushmo, Galactic Knight, Lana, Inkderp, Walrus man, Tiki King, Golden Mario, Pink Gold Peach, Cat Suit Bowser, Alph, Nabbit, The Sinister Six, Dendenne, and OHH bravly default fairy as characters yeah, thats a good rooster.

Dez my favrite kerrter

Kut all who b4, tay irrevrelent

Also my groose is quite loose.

Last edited:

~Krystal~

True American Heroine
Anything with Pink Gold Peach can't be a bad thing. Look how well Mario Kart 8 is doing. :troll:

MagnesD3

Smash Master
I agree Mallo from Pushmo would be a great character choice seeing how Pushmo has been a real surprise hit for Nintendo. I don't really know what his moveset would be though but I'm sure that Sakurai could do something creative with it.
I could create a unique moveset out of a cube that has a smiley face on it, lets have nintendo patent it and add it in as Dlc plz

Anthony Higgs confirmed.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
We should add Dr. Luigi, Pushmo, Galactic Knight, Lana, Inkderp, Walrus man, Tiki King, Golden Mario, Pink Gold Peach, Cat Suit Bowser, Alph, Nabbit, The Sinister Six, Dendenne, and OHH bravly default fairy as characters yeah, thats a good rooster.

Dez my favrite kerrter

Kut all who b4, tay irrevrelent

Also my groose is quite loose.
A stupid straw man like this helps nobody.

~Krystal~

True American Heroine
Much better. The Kamek selection is, of course, top notch (his role as a stage element might rule him out though). Krystal is in, Snake is in, Sceptile is in, basically everyone that matters is in. In my unbiased opinion, this roster is a 10.

CJ Falcon

Smash Lord

No Ridley. No K. Rool. 0/10. Put in Shrek.

Masonomace

Yeah Shulk, get stuck in!
NNID
Masonomace
Much better. The Kamek selection is, of course, top notch (his role as a stage element might rule him out though). Krystal is in, Snake is in, Sceptile is in, basically everyone that matters is in. In my unbiased opinion, this roster is a 10.
Sorry but thank you hotness. It has my limited & full bias of 10 / 10 thanks to Sceptile & BS in the same roster. Oh and the 20+ newcomers too that's important.
No Ridley. No K. Rool. 0/10. Put in Shrek.
:urg: I didn't even get one point. Get me that Shrek Icon. Shrek > DLC:smirk:

Deathcarter

Smash Lord
K Rool - Listen, I love Donkey Kong Country, I love K Rool, he's not in. If by some miracle he is than horaay! But the biggest thing against K Rool is that he hasn't been relevant in a long while. And like it or not every newcomer thus far has been relevant in the Wii, DS, 3DS, Wii U era. Again, I would love for K Rool to get in, but I don't see it happening.
The small problem with your argument here is that K. Rool is the most longstanding and popular nemesis of Donkey Kong. He will always be relevant as long as the Donkey Kong franchise is alive and kicking and he remains popular with DK fans. Sakurai's goal is to provide a fun, accessible tribute game full of Nintendo fanservice. Do you really think Sakurai wouldn't include K. Rool primarily because Nintendo/Retro don't want to use him for whatever reason if Sakurai felt putting K. Rool in the game would be a good idea (especially considering that Sakurai isn't a Nintendo employee and doesn't have to give a damn about any agenda Nintendo might have with K. Rool)?

Last edited:

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
Honestly at this point I'm pretty satisfied with the roster, we're already at the same amount of characters as Brawl, and it's safe to assume that Ivy and Squirtle will be the only losses. Though it's probably just me, but I absolutely loved Brawl's roster, even though I've been waiting for King K. Rool and Ridley for a long time, it's certainly no deal-breaker if they don't make it this time.

I may not personally like most of the newcomers, but I already love Brawl's veterans. As long as this game achieves the gameplay goal of "between Brawl and Melee," then it already meets my expectations. And the demo felt like a faster Brawl without tripping, which I absolutely loved. They say that the later builds are even better, so it's really looking good in my eyes.

Though I'm certainly still holding on to hope for the characters I want, that's the kind of heart we need to keep.

Last edited:

CJ Falcon

Smash Lord
K Rool - Listen, I love Donkey Kong Country, I love K Rool, he's not in. If by some miracle he is than horaay! But the biggest thing against K Rool is that he hasn't been relevant in a long while. And like it or not every newcomer thus far has been relevant in the Wii, DS, 3DS, Wii U era. Again, I would love for K Rool to get in, but I don't see it happening.
It's funny you say that because, ah well, there's a certain something that nullifies your whole argument.

MagnesD3

Smash Master
Wait I got leaked the final roster there are a ton of greats here.

Unfortunately all old smash characters were cut due to being old.
Megaman was cut due to relevancy issues as well as little mac, and some avatar characters who were male or female are now female only by request.

So here is the new beautiful Smash 4 roster.

Ogre is Shrek but I unfortunately dont have a leaked photo of him, he is top secret and Ive heard his final smash features Shadow the hedgehog in some way.

Chrom is DLC

No villians though, which is good, to quote Sakurai "This game would be too violent with Bad guys and would be Badong, Its just not a good idea, but you can play a Boss rush coin mode that is heavily censored but is a great way to pass the time" .

Iwata retweets "pLEASE uDERSTAND"

Reggie is pushing for a Purple Pikmin as DLC although irrelevant, we wish him the best of luck but its very doubtful for such an old asset to make it in.

Alphonzo steps in when Dillion and Yellow Devil are being used.

Dark Pit is unlockable which is why I didnt list him (hez a secret ;) )

Last edited:

ElPanandero

Smash Lord
NNID
ElPanandero

No ridley = Yes. Krystal = No. Sceptile is cool, but Shulk is not. Black Shadow is nah, but Kamek is a surprisingly fun sounding dude and I respect the randomness. So since you have Issac and no ridley, even with krystal, I'll give it a thumbs up. (Any roster with Issac gets a thumbs up but this might be the first to have Krystal that didn't get a thumbs down)

ZecaOMestre

Smash Apprentice

When Kamek joins the battle, Alfonzo is in charge of the stage changes.
Alfonzo: "Leave it to me!"

Burruni

Smash Hero
Obviously.
Man, than it's a good thing that there's no references to those games... like the Black Hole Bomb that is the start for Megaman's Final Smash.

But legitimately, King K. Rool would make a better newcomer for Smash than Dixie in my opinion, but is also arguably less likely than her. Then again, I thought Rareware owned the rights for King K. Rool until recently.

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545

10/10 would play. I'm keeping Chorus Men on there for now until we know if it's CM or Marshall in the roster

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
I dig it. Maybe a little less R.O.B and Dark Pit and then it would be perfect enough for me.
Dark Pit is understandable, but why ROB? That's like attacking Wolf and Lucas because of they are most likely to be on the block. Look at what happened to Tink, Lucario, and Ike when people suspected they were the ones to get cut

GunGunW

Smash Lord
NNID
GunGunW
Dark Pit is understandable, but why ROB? That's like attacking Wolf and Lucas because of they are most likely to be on the block. Look at what happened to Tink, Lucario, and Ike when people suspected they were the ones to get cut
Im kind of the same way. Except for Dark Pit and Shulk I think it's great.

CJ Falcon

Smash Lord
"Wow, a game where I can play as the greatest Nintendo characters in history? I'm gonna go with the crappy NES accessory that only worked with 2 extremely boring NES games!"- no one ever

Last edited:

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988
Wait I got leaked the final roster there are a ton of greats here.

Unfortunately all old smash characters were cut due to being old.
Megaman was cut due to relevancy issues as well as little mac, and some avatar characters who were male or female are now female only by request.

So here is the new beautiful Smash 4 roster.

Ogre is Shrek but I unfortunately dont have a leaked photo of him, he is top secret and Ive heard his final smash features Shadow the hedgehog in some way.

Chrom is DLC

No villians though, which is good, to quote Sakurai "This game would be too violent with Bad guys and would be Badong, Its just not a good idea, but you can play a Boss rush coin mode that is heavily censored but is a great way to pass the time" .

Iwata retweets "pLEASE uDERSTAND"

Reggie is pushing for a Purple Pikmin as DLC although irrelevant, we wish him the best of luck but its very doubtful for such an old asset to make it in.

Alphonzo steps in when Dillion and Yellow Devil are being used.
If there's no villains why is Hilda on the roster?

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
"Wow, a game where I can play as the greatest Nintendo characters in history? I'm gonna go with the crappy NES accessory that only worked with 2 extremely boring NES games!"- no one ever
...Hello, according to this user, my name is not 'Kenith' but is in fact 'no one ever'.

In all seriousness, you have state a legitimate reason why R.O.B. could ever be cut.

Burruni

Smash Hero
...Hello, according to this user, my name is not 'Kenith' but is in fact 'no one ever'.

In all seriousness, you have state a legitimate reason why R.O.B. could ever be cut.
ROB wasn't the best or most flushed out character in Brawl. But you know what he has? An original friggin' moveset that nobody can really replace. It's why I am so upset when people say Jigglypuff is going to be cut because she isn't that key to the Pokemon games anymore. Character's role in smash > Role in their own games when it comes to being kept imo.

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
This is Sakurai we are talking about here. Hell, some of these characters didn't make any sense for Smash Bros, yet he gave them all creative movesets to help with their ability to fight. Guys like StarFox, Falcon, Ice Climbers, etc says hi

If there's no villains why is Hilda on the roster?
Isn't Axel a villain? Or anti hero like Shadow?

Im kind of the same way. Except for Dark Pit and Shulk I think it's great.
Honestly, I'm not 100% sold on the idea of Dark Pit. If he does somehow makes it as an alt attire, I probably would've given that spot to Vaati

MagnesD3

Smash Master
This is Sakurai we are talking about here. Hell, some of these characters didn't make any sense for Smash Bros, yet he gave them all creative movesets to help with their ability to fight. Guys like StarFox, Falcon, Ice Climbers, etc says hi

Honestly, I'm not 100% sold on the idea of Dark Pit. If he does somehow makes it as an alt attire, I probably would've given that spot to Vaati
Axel's a pretty good guy once you get to know him.

CJ Falcon

Smash Lord

Last I checked, StarFox, Falcon, and Ice Climbers were well-received outside of Smash Bros.

Last edited:
NNID
Nightdazer
3DS FC
0731-4784-1465

10/10 would play. I'm keeping Chorus Men on there for now until we know if it's CM or Marshall in the roster
This is literally perfect. Everything that's necessary and wanted is there. Love, love, love this. <3
Edit: (it's missing Bandanna Dee...but eh, won't complain.)

Last edited:

Fire Emblemier

The Crests are to Blame
Switch FC
SW-2862-0450-4332
When I got Brawl, I didn't know anything about R.O.B., nothing at all. Yet, when I unlocked him, even though I knew nothing of him, I loved playing as him, he was a robot who shot lasers, after all. It actually got me into looking back into Nintendo's history. Just because a character is barely recognizable, doesn't mean they should be cut from the roster.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom