• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
I love R.O.B., man, he was one of my favorite additions in Brawl. I've never even had a R.O.B.

I'm dead serious, R.O.B. was nearly Mr. Game & Watch levels of hype for me, and G&W was my favorite Melee newcomer.

Espio264

Smash Ace

10/10 would play. I'm keeping Chorus Men on there for now until we know if it's CM or Marshall in the roster
Isaac + 50 points
Ridley + 50 points
Mewtwo + 50 points
K. Rool + 50 points

Dark Pit - 201 points.

So sorry Gryffondorf, but Jufflypuff wins the House Cup. There' always next year. (Unless you're dropping out to hunt down Wariocruxes).

NNID
Nightdazer
3DS FC
0731-4784-1465
Isaac + 50 points
Ridley + 50 points
Mewtwo + 50 points
K. Rool + 50 points

Dark Pit - 201 points.

So sorry Gryffondorf, but Jufflypuff wins the House Cup. There' always next year. (Unless you're dropping out to hunt down Wariocruxes).
Seriously? Do you not realize how many new and cool things Dark Pit could bring to the game?

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
@ Morbi Morbi

We could use your Dark Lord talk in here :troll:

Isaac + 50 points
Ridley + 50 points
Mewtwo + 50 points
K. Rool + 50 points

Dark Pit - 201 points.

Like I said earlier, I'm not 100% sold on Dark Pit due to all the talks. If he wasn't in, I'd take him out and put Vaati in his place

NNID
Nightdazer
3DS FC
0731-4784-1465
Please, do elaborate.
Palms, Staves, Arms, and Clubs....all of which are different types of weapons other characters have not used.
Edit: OH! And Orbitors. That's 5 different types of weapons on one character. He's perfect for Smash and has a perfectly good reason to be included due to his diversity.

Last edited:

CJ Falcon

Smash Lord
Seriously? Do you not realize how many new and cool things Dark Pit could bring to the game?
Racism for sure. People would be like "Dark Pit is stronger than Light Pit" or "Dark Pit can jump higher than Light Pit" or "Light Pit takes skill and Dark Pit is just brute strength."

Last edited:

Espio264

Smash Ace
I do realize that he could be a very good inclusion, however, a majority of the people who are so certain he'll be playable think that he'll be a semi-clone. I'm all good with clones, but a clone/semi clone that shares the same face/body/mannerisms doesn't seem like something Sakurai would do. If Lucina was almost a costume (Sakurai's words) and she has a different outfit, long hair, and lady parts, then I think there's more evidence to support Dark Pit as an alternate costume (complete with different voice, colors, possibly taunts, and what have you), rather than a seperate character.

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
Racism for sure. People would be like "Dark Pit is stronger than Light Pit" or "Dark Pit can jump higher than Light Pit" or "Light Pit takes skill and Dark Pit is just brute strength."
...seriously? I'm not trying to be mean, but don't you think you're over analyzing this a little? KI actually gave the name of "Dark Pit" instead of something like "Evil Pit", "Hell Pit", etc. Just because we have a Pit vs Dark Pit match doesn't automatically mean it's going to end up in something like racism

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
, I made my comments before about the character selection.
I'm a huge fan of the upgraded Wii space bar, since they are in fact 0 characters in this game, so awesome job there.
But the characters themselves look as though they had no thought as to where they were placed man. Even if some have some logic behind it, it looks extremely cluttered, starting with Rosalina, then Luigi, and then getting to Mario. Link is two thirds of the way in on his row, and it doesn't get simpler from there...
I was mainly going for a symmetrical organization with the franchises.

CJ Falcon

Smash Lord
...seriously? I'm not trying to be mean, but don't you think you're over analyzing this a little? KI actually gave the name of "Dark Pit" instead of something like "Evil Pit", "Hell Pit", etc. Just because we have a Pit vs Dark Pit match doesn't automatically mean it's going to end up in something like racism
...seriously? I'm not trying to be mean, but don't you think you're over analyzing this a little? You think everything I say is meant to be taken seriously? It's a joke. Deal with it.

Espio264

Smash Ace
Palms, Staves, Arms, and Clubs....all of which are different types of weapons other characters have not used.
Edit: OH! And Orbitors. That's 5 different types of weapons on one character. He's perfect for Smash and has a perfectly good reason to be included due to his diversity.
You have a very valid point with all of this, but in the depths of your heart, do you really believe that if Dark Pit gets in as his own character, that he'll even have a fraction of that, and that he won't just be a clone?

Furthermore, showing us Megaman's moveset variation yesterday, and Palutena has already been the only (excluding Miis, so far) character with not just tweaked customizable moves, but 12 seperate moves, is there not a chance that Pit could have a similar 12 move moveset that adopts some of Dark Pit's weapons and allows you to make your Pit into Dark Pit with a palette swap? Thus killing 2 Pits with one slot?

If we get Dark Pit as a seperate character, then I want a Dark Falco as 4th Star Fox rep.

Last edited:

GunGunW

Smash Lord
NNID
GunGunW
I love R.O.B., man, he was one of my favorite additions in Brawl. I've never even had a R.O.B.

I'm dead serious, R.O.B. was nearly Mr. Game & Watch levels of hype for me, and G&W was my favorite Melee newcomer.
R.O.B. Was a pleasant surprise for me too. I didn't know about him before I unlocked him and he just made me as excited as I could be.

Masonomace

Yeah Shulk, get stuck in!
NNID
Masonomace
Surprised Morbid hasn't pounced on the ongoing topic that is DP.

All I can say is DP & Pit are 2 different characters. They look similar, but they don't act or fight the same. This reminds me of those Sonic / Metal Sonic debates, Sonic / Shadow too.

NNID
Nightdazer
3DS FC
0731-4784-1465
You have a very valid point with all of this, but in the depths of your heart, do you really believe that if Dark Pit gets in as his own character, that he'll even have a fraction of that, and that he won't just be a clone?

Furthermore, showing us Megaman's moveset variation yesterday, and Palutena has already been the only (excluding Miis, so far) character with not just tweaked customizable moves, but 12 seperate moves, is there not a chance that Pit could have a similar 12 move moveset that adopts some of Dark Pit's weapons and allows you to make your Pit into Dark Pit with a palette swap? Thus killing 2 Pits with one slot?

If we get Dark Pit as a seperate character, then I want a Dark Falco as 4th Star Fox rep.
I am very certain that, unlike Lucina, Sakurai will give him different attacks that Pit does not use. Reason being is because he created Dark Pit, and thus, would know what would be appropriate for him to have. If I didn't believe this....then there'd be no reason for me to support him as a character.

Last edited:

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
R.O.B. Was a pleasant surprise for me too. I didn't know about him before I unlocked him and he just made me as excited as I could be.
I actually knew of Game & Watch and R.O.B. beforehand. When I unlocked G&W in Melee it was a moment of "They actually added Game & Watch representation? That's amazing!" And then while everyone was crying over R.O.B. getting in, I had a "Mega Man reaction." Though I'm a big gaming history buff, so these old blokes really make me smile, it's the same reason I love Pac-Man making it this go around. When people talk badly about them, it makes me sad that they don't know how iconic they are.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I am very certain that, unlike Lucina, Sakurai will give him different attacks that Pit does not use. Reason being is because he created Dark Pit, and thus, would know what would be appropriate for him to have. If I didn't believe this....then there'd be no reason for me to support him as a character.
Which obviously makes his bias for his own characters show. And he typically doesn't bias it, that's why I don't buy this notion of KI getting a third rep or Kirby getting a fourth.

Espio264

Smash Ace
Well, if you're right about that, then all the Toon Link fans are gonna rise up and leave a giant Dark Pit shaped turd on Sakurai's doorstep.

GunGunW

Smash Lord
NNID
GunGunW
I actually knew of Game & Watch and R.O.B. beforehand. When I unlocked G&W in Melee it was a moment of "They actually added Game & Watch representation? That's amazing!" And then while everyone was crying over R.O.B. getting in, I had a "Mega Man reaction." Though I'm a big gaming history buff, so these old blokes really make me smile, it's the same reason I love Pac-Man making it this go around. When people talk badly about them, it makes me sad that they don't know how iconic they are.
Characters like them make me very happy because I absolutely love cute Nintendo characters and when they're retro that just makes me even more happy

NNID
Nightdazer
3DS FC
0731-4784-1465
Which obviously makes his bias for his own characters show. And he typically doesn't bias it, that's why I don't buy this notion of KI getting a third rep or Kirby getting a fourth.
Not to say he doesn't have a right to add more of his own characters to his own game. I believe if he wants them in, he has every right in the world to add them.

Masonomace

Yeah Shulk, get stuck in!
NNID
Masonomace
I don't remember eggsactly:4yoshi:, but didn't Sakurai feel so conscious about his own bias he didn't add Dedede in Smash 64 for that reason?

Pizzanigs

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Pizzanigs
What suggests that Dark Pit would use any of these? If anything, we have evidence supporting the fact that he'd be a Pit clone (Lucina).

CJ Falcon

Smash Lord
If Dark Pit gets in as his own character, in addition to Pit getting new moves, Palutena being added with 12 unique specials, and more Kid Icarus enemies in Smash Run than any other game (including freaking MARIO), that would show how much Sakurai likes to play favorites.

Morbi

Scavenger
I do realize that he could be a very good inclusion, however, a majority of the people who are so certain he'll be playable think that he'll be a semi-clone. I'm all good with clones, but a clone/semi clone that shares the same face/body/mannerisms doesn't seem like something Sakurai would do. If Lucina was almost a costume (Sakurai's words) and she has a different outfit, long hair, and lady parts, then I think there's more evidence to support Dark Pit as an alternate costume (complete with different voice, colors, possibly taunts, and what have you), rather than a seperate character.
More evidence to support Dark Pit as an alternate costume. Interesting assertion.

Evidence that Dark Pit is an alternate costume...
1. Presumptuous precedent that is not necessarily feasible precedent as Dark Pit was not the character Dark Pit at the time of his conception.
2. Dark Pit is literally a clone, so he is an alternate costume (self-referential incoherence is evidence if you do not point it out).
3. Kid Icarus arbitrarily "deserves" only one newcomer unless that newcomer is Hades or Medusa, of course.

Evidence that Dark Pit is a clone/semi-clone (playable character)...
However, even though Dark Pit shares his physical stats and techniques with Pit, the characteristics of their attacks differ. When two such similar characters function in an even slightly different manner, I give them a separate spot on the roster since that will affect battle records and whatnot. In that sense, you could say he was very lucky to join the fray!

Last edited:

Autumn ♫

I'm terrible with these Custom Titles.
If Dark Pit gets in as his own character, in addition to Pit getting new moves, Palutena being added with 12 unique specials, and more Kid Icarus enemies in Smash Run than any other game (including freaking MARIO), that would show how much Sakurai likes to play favorites.
And I would be completely fine with that. :laugh:

Weeman

Smash Crusader
They can give him a different idle stance and animations for attacks, think of it like Wolf, wich unlike Falco, actually had a similar build to Fox, so they gave him different animations to his attacks to make up for that, and thus he no longer felt like a clone, even though his model was still based on Fox's. They can do something similar to Dark Pit.

Last edited:
NNID
Nightdazer
3DS FC
0731-4784-1465
Who cares if he plays favorites? We'd still be getting a great game with tons of different characters to play as.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
Is Dark Pit basically the Meta Knight of Kid Icarus?
I wouldn't say so, Shadow the Hedgehog is a far more appropriate comparison.

"Dark, edgy version of the main protagonist who's ambiguously a good guy yet still makes you want to beat his face in."

At least that's the impression I got when I played Uprising, though Pittoo is 100 times better than Shadow.

CJ Falcon

Smash Lord
Who cares if he plays favorites? We'd still be getting a great game with tons of different characters to play as.
With the exception of one character that is physically identical to another character in all ways except for darker hair and darker clothes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom