• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I've been reading this general argument as a whole, and I've just got to add my interpretation of the marketing here.
Toon Zelda cannot be added to market any games- she may possibly be added, anyone could be, but if so, it certainly would not be for marketing.
You do not market old games- Spirit Tracks is five years old, and Wind Waker HD is a remake. It is being treated as a re-release of an old favorite. Not to mention, two characters from a re-release of an extensive franchise is beyond excessive (except, I of course did mention it).

If a Zelda character was going to be added for marketing, it would be for future games. The ideal candidate for this would likely be Impa, if we are going for a clone, because she would easily be a Sheik clone, market Hyrule Warriors, possibly Zelda U, and also represent Skyward Sword. Notice I do not say Market Skyward Sword, just pay homage to it; marketing for it is done at this stage in the game. Toon Zelda could pay tribute to those other games, but she would under no interpretation be marketing them.

The time restraint argument also doesn't seem to hold true to me. If they ran out of time last game, they deemed it not important enough- let's look at it as if they did finish last game, and they added Toon Zelda and Tetra/Sheik. As you pointed out, no transformations. I just could not fathom the decision to then, this game, have added Zelda, Sheik, Toon Zelda, and tetra, all as characters. They would have cut them this game.
Yet, they weren't added, and at his point, I'm pretty sure they are forgotten.
Not that I have really been paying attention to what this discussion is actually about, but I think Sakurai just includes these little links for advertisement as just some extra. (like "hey if you want to know more about this character, then visit the page for that one game they are in!") If he wants to include a quick link for Toon Zelda or Tetra I'd see him most likely linking it to Wind Waker HD (They have got both Rosalina and Peach for Super Mario 3D World after all so hey....) Spirit Tracks may indeed be from quite sometime ago (then again, I believe the Japanese version of the website got a link up for Marth for that one old DS Fire Emblem game that I currently can't recall) so I suppose so long as said page still got their advertisement page up.

Sakurai does tend to look back and sometimes even implement older ideas he didn't manage to include in previous installments though. Such as Kirby's updated side special which according to unused Brawl data seemed to have been planned for that game at some point, as well as battle damage (which seems to have been brought back to some capacity if Meta Knight is anything to go by, or they have been changed by making the characters steam instead) We don't really know why these characters didn't make it in Brawl though, it could have been due to time constraints, or it could have been due to certain difficulties such as with Dixie Kong and the tag-team mechanic. For all we know he could have removed transformations partly in order to implement Toon Zelda without the need of designing a non-existent "Toon Sheik" along with her, especially since he explained how the shorter and stubbier legs for the "Toon" characters wouldn't really work out for them and considering Sheik has quite a lot of moves involving kicks and whatnot. (likewise for Dixie Kong without the tag-team mechanic) But that's just speculation on my part

Unless this wasn't really what the discussion was about in which case, never mind... Just giving my two cents..... ^^

Last edited:

ElPanandero

Smash Lord
NNID
ElPanandero
I think Palutena, Villager, Bowser, Rosalina, and Little Mac
Vilager has so much move lag, all he has going for him is the slingshot fair/bair and the pocket. All non-projectile matchups he is gonna lose (marth/lucina, new Bowser). Villager's gonna get stomped by almost everyone except Megaman and Samus. Low teir.

Also little Mac's recovery is gonna make him mid-low tier imo, Roy never got above Mid tier in melee for the same reason (I think, he was C tier right?) and Mac's recovery is probably just as bad if not worse, and his air game is reportedly worse. Any character with a half decent off-stage game is gonna destroy mac. Also, I feel like he's juggalable, can anyone confirm/refute that?

Also, we're half a year away from console release and still months away from 3DS, so tier speculation is a little silly.

Though really fun :p

D

Deleted member

Vilager has so much move lag, all he has going for him is the slingshot fair/bair and the pocket. All non-projectile matchups he is gonna lose (marth/lucina, new Bowser). Villager's gonna get stomped by almost everyone except Megaman and Samus. Low teir.

Also little Mac's recovery is gonna make him mid-low tier imo, Roy never got above Mid tier in melee for the same reason (I think, he was C tier right?) and Mac's recovery is probably just as bad if not worse, and his air game is reportedly worse. Any character with a half decent off-stage game is gonna destroy mac. Also, I feel like he's juggalable, can anyone confirm/refute that?

Also, we're half a year away from console release and still months away from 3DS, so tier speculation is a little silly.

Roy's problem wasn't just his recovery; he had issues KOing, and bad sweetspot placement in comparison to Marth.

mark welford

Smash Ace

stop being so serious this is just a prediction and also those were demo builds we saw so there is more than enough time for them to change things

ElPanandero

Smash Lord
NNID
ElPanandero
Roy's problem wasn't just his recovery; he had issues KOing, and bad sweetspot placement in comparison to Marth.
Well he did have one of the worst recoveries in melee, but I'm also aware of his other issues, but He did have ground based go to KO's (granted it was two moves) but all I meant was that Mac will have similar problems (minus KO's but more exacerbated forms of the former) that I think will limit how could he can really br (espcially when I'm thunderstomping his head with Ganon off-stage :p)

and @ mark welford mark welford I didn't mean to offend, sorry homie, I said it's fun to do, I was trying to give my analysis of what I think of the characters...which is what I thought we were doing

Last edited:

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
Here I was hoping for another chubby aerial character like Wario and Jiggly for Villager, but I guess that's not happening lol.

Last edited:

ElPanandero

Smash Lord
NNID
ElPanandero
Here I was hoping for another chubby aerial character like Wario and Jiggly for Villager, but I guess that's not happening lol.
Yea his aerials are weird, his turnips aren't bad, and have little lag, and the slingshot is really fast with little lag and his neutral IIRC is kind of jacked as well so he does have a decent, although unorthodox, air game right now. I forget his fall speed, but he's kind of close :p

Xenorange

Smash Lord
I think I'd like to take a moment to post my possibly final prediction roster. There's a little bit of bias I guess, but this is my prediction.

View attachment 21682

Totals out at 55 if counting Mii Fighters as 3 characters. No cuts besides Squirtle and Ivysaur. Dixie and Dark Pit are semi clones.

Yeah. No Ridley or K.Rool. Come at me.
Very gematsu, I don't like it.

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
I thought Villager was better than what most people thought. Not only is he a fun character, but he has a lot of tools to work with. I think he'll end up around high mid-tier. His down-smash is incredible and can combo into his extremely powerful side-smash. Some of his moves are a little gimmicky though. He's also the only character that has a continuous jab with decent range. The Lloid Rocket is a very solid projectile. I could see some heavy pressure coming from it.

G0LD3N L0TUS

Smash Lord
NNID
G0LD3N_L0TUS
3DS FC
3007-8158-6601

Nothing really changed except adding some visual enhancement.
I'd never get over Dr. Mario and Dark Pit getting in over Lucas and Wolf. I get it because of Lucina, but I'd still never get over it.

Other than that, It's a fine roster.

Last edited:

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Why are Bowser Jr and Dr. Mario separate from the Mario group?
I believe that Dr. Mario will have his own icon, given that it is a Mario spinoff that will most likely get the treatment Waluigi had, as for Bowser Jr., I forgot to remind myself to move him to the main Mario group and that he's not really part of the Yoshi series, so that's my fault.

Masonomace

Yeah Shulk, get stuck in!
NNID
Masonomace
Ugh, almost done with mine. . .
Meanwhile rating time!
@ BluePikmin11 BluePikmin11
Your roster is fairly good, above decent level ofc. My rating: :4falcon::4falcon::4falcon::4falcon::4falcon::4falcon::4falcon: out of 10 HYESZ!
Your roster despite having obvious cuts still does well with technically 18+ playable newcomers. A okay with me! Thanks for Sharing~

Last edited:

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I made my prediction based on what I think is going to happen, with a wee bit of what I want. I'm not going to add a "shock" character simply for the sake of making it more than "boring". Wii Fit Trainer and Marshal are enough of a surprise for me.

I also find it funny that rosters with Ridley and K.Rool (see a lot of them) and those are completely fine, yet more boring because everyone has the same concept. I made that roster because it's what I think we're getting.

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
@ TheNerdyOne_ TheNerdyOne_
Nice prediction roster, being pretty safe for such a huge roster. Never such a thing as too much characters.:awesome:
My rating: :4falcon::4falcon::4falcon::4falcon::4falcon::4falcon::4falcon::4falcon:& a :falcon64: out of 10 HYESZ!
You have quote the amount of newcomers being over 20+ newcomers in the roster which is how you got 8 falcons automatically from me. Sceptile is a bias point for me, seeing him in DLC gets you a .5 :falcon64:. Nice roster! And Thanks for Sharing~

Last edited:

Burruni

Smash Hero
I made my prediction based on what I think is going to happen, with a wee bit of what I want. I'm not going to add a "shock" character simply for the sake of making it more than "boring". Wii Fit Trainer and Marshal are enough of a surprise for me.

I also find it funny that rosters with Ridley and K.Rool (see a lot of them) and those are completely fine, yet more boring because everyone has the same concept. I made that roster because it's what I think we're getting.
I strongly agree with the sentiment and have only swapped Sceptile for King K.Rool recently just to prevent every comment to my roster being "NoRidleyNoHope" or "NoK.RoolStupidRoster." Personally, I don't see any newcomer villains this time around. But of them, King K.Rool is the one that would work out the best in my opinion.

Xenorange

Smash Lord
Warning Received

Why do you think we're getting Marshal? Are you of the belief that hidden newcomers are out of the question? Even though we already have hidden characters confirmed in the form of game and watch.

...What?

How do you describe a roster as "too gematsu"? Because it has two specific characters?

Christ.
It's just me hoping we get more than gematsu, think nothing more of it.
Sorry double post.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member

Except....Marshal isn't Gematsu. Chorus Kids are.
Aside from that, Scoliosis has more than just Shulk and Marshal anyway.

He's got Dixie Kong and Dark Pit, neither being part of Gematsu.

MegaLagann

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MegaLagann

I don't get this either. We're less than a month away from release, we only got a few more slots left and only a couple candidates for newcomers. Everyone's roster at this point will look the same.

Part of me is curious though why you think Snake will be playable and not Ridley and K Rool. I mean, I know why I think so, but I would like to hear from somebody else, since everyone seems convinced the opposite.

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
I personally think Snake is out and we'd be lucky to see both Ridley and King K. Rool. My gut says that we'll see one of the two, but not both.

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
@ TheDarkKnightNoivern TheDarkKnightNoivern
Nice roster, good amount, let's see. My rating: :4falcon::4falcon::4falcon::4falcon::4falcon::4falcon::4falcon::4falcon: out of 10 HYESZ!
It all looks neat & organized, those hours of photoshop seem worth it, probably not.:(
Your roster overall got a higher than above decent rating thanks to you having 20+ newcomers within those rows & columns if we're counting Mewtwo as a returning newcomer. Thanks for Sharing~

TheDarkKnightNoivern

Smash Master
@ TheDarkKnightNoivern TheDarkKnightNoivern
Nice roster, good amount, let's see. My rating: :4falcon::4falcon::4falcon::4falcon::4falcon::4falcon::4falcon::4falcon: out of 10 HYESZ!
It all looks neat & organized, those hours of photoshop seem worth it, probably not.:(
Your roster overall got a higher than above decent rating thanks to you having 20+ newcomers within those rows & columns if we're counting Mewtwo as a returning newcomer. Thanks for Sharing~
Well with boredom combined with the hyrule warriors soundtrack I think it was worth it :p
It was only a couple of hours too, so no real loss

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
On a serious note, I don't understand why people think Chorus Men / Kids are likely. I'm all for a Rhythm Heaven rep, but why them over every other single Rhythm Heaven character? Is it because Gematsu? Along with that, the fact that having partner characters (Rosalina / Ice Climbers) has been stated to give the 3DS a hard time, what makes people think that having 12 Chorus Kids on screen at once is a reasonable request?
Why them over another Rhythm Heaven character (reps is a bad word to describe them, really)? Simple. They're among the most prominent. If you look at the Chorus Kids thread, they were heavily used in advertising Rhythm Heaven DS.

See above. They're essentially the cover characters used to promote the series. And they're Beyonce's favorite.

Secondly, the Gematsu thing doesn't make it bad. It got Fire Emblem wrong. That's it. Are we forgetting everything else that made it credible? Wii Fit Trainer? Mii Fighters? It's like PokeBeach. It revealed tons of info, like Inkay, Malamar, Meowstik, and the Fairy type. But it mixed up Greninja and Chesnaught's secondary typings. And included a second professor (Poor Patrice...). That didn't make everything else wrong. It was still a leak.

Thirdly, they'd share a hitbox, essentially moving as one unit. Think of it like Rayman, only make Rayman's arms the size of his body. Kinda like that.

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
If RH receives a character, I think Marshal is the way to go. However, I personally do not have an interest in RH.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom