• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Masonomace

Yeah Shulk, get stuck in!
NNID
Masonomace
What do the Spinning Blades and Launch Ring come from? God I feel stupid.
Idk, I went based off the front page items being more of a mix of who the possible characters would use that kind of move-set being :4link: or :4tlink:. Shield, spinning blade? Power bombs & rocket belt cus they wear belts, it kind of makes sense. Pit & Palutena Spinning blades & back shield, but then again this could have nothing to do with character-specific equippable items, like my post above says.

Last edited:

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
What do the Spinning Blades and Launch Ring come from? God I feel stupid.
Usually a safe bet to just guess Kid Icarus.

New Bomb?
--Kid Icarus
Super Gun?
--Kid Icarus
Flying Monkeys?
--thought it might be the Wizard of Oz huh? Nope. Unreleased prototype Hanuman references from, you guessed it, Kid Icarus.

Last edited:

~Krystal~

True American Heroine
Idk, I went based off the front page items being more of a mix of who the possible characters would use that kind of move-set being :4link: or :4tlink:. Shield, spinning blade? Power bombs & rocket belt cus they wear belts, it kind of makes sense. Pit & Palutena Spinning blades & back shield, but then again this could have nothing to do with character-specific equippable items, like my post above says.
Mhmm, I think in this case it's the latter. No worries. It's sort of disappointing Friday was a dud, but we'll know the entire roster soon enough, won't we? :smirk:

Usually a safe bet to just guess Kid Icarus.

New Bomb?
--Kid Icarus
Super Gun?
--Kid Icarus
Flying Monkeys?
--thought it might be the Wizard of Oz huh? Nope. Unreleased prototype Hanuman references from, you guessed it, Kid Icarus.
Kid Icarus is at how many items now? 6? Btw, the Power Bomb had a familiar ring to it. I've always associated it with Samus' upgraded morph ball bombs. I suppose there's overlap in names.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Btw, the Power Bomb had a familiar ring to it. I've always associated it with Samus' upgraded morph ball bombs. I suppose there's overlap in names.
The Power Bomb in Smash Run is the Metroid one, when it's dropped it has the Super Metroid design.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
The Power Bomb in Smash Run is the Metroid one, when it's dropped it has the Super Metroid design.
Confirmation? Metroid definitely should get a few more items, it has enough upgrades, and pretty much holds fort for Smash (and currently Nintendo) in the First Person Shooter genre.
Until Splatoon releases, and somehow fits in...

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Confirmation? Metroid definitely should get a few more items, it has enough upgrades, and pretty much holds fort for Smash (and currently Nintendo) in the First Person Shooter genre.

Sits right under the eye thing from Kid Icarus, it's unmistakable.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
How on Earth did you get First Person Shooter from Splatoon

And technically Metroid Prime is a First Person Adventure. Even then the only Prime content we've received is Dark Samus as an AT.

I'd argue that Conduit would be better for "holding the fort" in terms of FPS, but I doubt Sega would throw it a bone.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
How on Earth did you get First Person Shooter from Splatoon

And technically Metroid Prime is a First Person Adventure. Even then the only Prime content we've received is Dark Samus as an AT.
That they call it a First Person Shooter, I think I remember a treehouse quotation of "Nintendo's Answer to First Person Shooter." They went on and on about it, how in a normal FPS you cannot see the trail because it is a bullet, but how in this they wanted to alleviate the problem of that speed, yada yada.

TheDarkKnightNoivern

Smash Master
That they call it a First Person Shooter, I think I remember a treehouse quotation of "Nintendo's Answer to First Person Shooter." They went on and on about it, how in a normal FPS you cannot see the trail because it is a bullet, but how in this they wanted to alleviate the problem of that speed, yada yada.
Doesn't a first person shooter need to be first person?

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
Technically, it's a First Person Shooter.

It's a First Person viewpoint, and you Shoot things.

If you don't like it, don't name a genre after mechanics next time. :)

~Krystal~

True American Heroine
I thought first person adventure was its official categorization. I guess if you wanted to define the game in the strictest, narrowest sense, you'd call it an FPS.

Last edited:

MagnesD3

Smash Master
I think I'd like to take a moment to post my possibly final prediction roster. There's a little bit of bias I guess, but this is my prediction.

View attachment 21682

Totals out at 55 if counting Mii Fighters as 3 characters. No cuts besides Squirtle and Ivysaur. Dixie and Dark Pit are semi clones.

Yeah. No Ridley or K.Rool. Come at me.
Would be a borefest, Id have to send a sniper to send sakurai a message if the cast were that bland.

TheDarkKnightNoivern

Smash Master
I think Palutena, Villager, Bowser, Rosalina, and Little Mac
I think little mac's awful air game and recovery will hurt him too badly to be top tier and villager just seems pretty average, no glaring weaknesses but no advantages either
I don't think we have enough on palutena to judge how good she'll be right now

Last edited:

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I think little mac's awful air game and recovery will hurt him too badly to be top tier and villager just seems pretty average, no glaring weaknesses but no advantages either
I don't think we have enough on palutena to judge how good she'll be right now
I honestly think custom move sets will be tournament optional and we will have a very, very difficult time allotting tiers.
I'm not sure how this will affect that thing they told us about altering stats, though. We have heard very little about it, to the point it is not even discussed.

4cast

Smash Ace
NNID
luma77
3DS FC
4511-0457-7629
Villager and Wi Fit Trainer Doubles is a scary combination Wii Fit Trainer can go in for all the hits while Villager can play projectile keep away and spam Lloyd Rockets so Fit Trainer does not die, he can spam fair as well plus Fit trainers jab into Timber =Scary!

Last edited:

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
Villager and Wi Fit Trainer Doubles is a scary combination Wii Fit Trainer can go in for all the hits while Villager can play projectile keep away and spam Lloyd Rockets so Fit Trainer does not die he can spam fair as well plus Fit trainers jab into Timber =Scary!
This is a BnB team tactic for :4villager:+:4wiifit:?
Sounds hard to imagine, I didn't pay much attention to these characters. I was too busy watching 2014 metagame:4bowser::4bowser:

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I mentioned it once; I know it would be even more of an impossible thing to balance given the nature of games having teams that can be two or three, custom moves, and so much else...

But I think it would be super swell if during team matches, characters had something slightly different about them, that allowed them to team up better. Something which allowed their moves to play off each other better in some way. To really be a battle of a team, not a co-battle.

4cast

Smash Ace
NNID
luma77
3DS FC
4511-0457-7629
I mentioned it once; I know it would be even more of an impossible thing to balance given the nature of games having teams that can be two or three, custom moves, and so much else...

But I think it would be super swell if during team matches, characters had something slightly different about them, that allowed them to team up better. Something which allowed their moves to play off each other better in some way. To really be a battle of a team, not a co-battle.
So like if Wii Fit Trainer could give a Sun Salutation or a deep Breathing to an ally? sounds interesting

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace

Alternate custom-sets that provide more synergy to each other through any current team-friendly mechanic like: Healing one another, combination moves, etc..
Grass Pledge & Fire Pledge?:4pacman:
Edit: The pokeball summons Victini & Xerneas give supportive ally boosts, what stops it at just a pokeball summon proc there?

Last edited:

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
I could see that happening naturally with the Villager. Team members could give Villager their own projectiles or charged shots.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I find it to be evidence, or at least helps her chances, due to the fact that they're picking a lot of characters to help market recent games. You're right; Toon Link could perfectly market the Wind Waker HD and Spirit Tracks by himself, but if the developers had the chance to create an easy to make character that would further help market those games, especially Wind Waker, I think they would jump on it. Someone might think to themselves, "Oh, I can play the game that these characters are from on this console?" It's not something that has to be done, but it definitely helps drive the point across.

That's fine. Many don't believe we'll get a sixth. At least you're not biased towards a Zelda newcomer. Between you and me, I find it fascinating how much people will claim their favorite character is the most likely to make it into Smash when there's nothing that character has going for them. I believe that there will be a sixth Zelda character because we only got a replacement in Brawl, and I believe Mewtwo is likely to return, bringing the Pokemon roster up to six. That also means I believe Mario will get a sixth, be it Paper Mario or someone else. I have high expectations, I know.

And you could easily be correct. It's just that I've really only heard Marth and Zelda getting slack since E3, and I'm just trying my best to put two and two together. I wasn't really all that happy when they removed transformations. I thought that gimmick brought an interesting way of playing. Made it difficult for your opponent to get accustomed to your play style when you switch characters half way through.

Ah, yeah. For me, I realize that they've always picked the one most popular Pokemon at the time when adding a new one to the roster ever since 64. That's just how they represent Pokemon, while marketing their most recent game, movie, or what have you. I think it works. It gets the Pokemon fans who are purchasing every latest installment interested in playing a Pokemon from that game in Smash.

I'm one to believe that since Rosalina has stuck around after Galaxy is the reason that she's in Smash. If she was only present in the Galaxy titles, and nothing else, I don't believe she would be on the roster. Like I said, a character has to be relevant enough to their franchise to be playable, and I think Rosalina has earned it. Especially after being playable in 3D World. Different way of thinking though.

I believe that she was cut due to time constraints, and nothing else. Even though she was a clone, she was going to be a transformation character as well. That in itself would have taken more time to create. I think if Brawl had four or five more months of development time, she would have been on the roster. I think that Sakurai would revisit the idea of adding her due to what I said before; she's more than capable of representing the Zelda franchise. Especially since Spirit Tracks, the Four Swords Anniversary Edition, and Wind Waker HD have all released since Brawl, further expanding her presence in the Zelda universe.

Then I guess we're back to square one. Haha. That's alright. We'll just see what happens soon enough. I've very much enjoyed discussing this subject with you. It's not often that a controversial character such as Toon Zelda can be talked about in a civilized manner like this.
I've been reading this general argument as a whole, and I've just got to add my interpretation of the marketing here.
Toon Zelda cannot be added to market any games- she may possibly be added, anyone could be, but if so, it certainly would not be for marketing.
You do not market old games- Spirit Tracks is five years old, and Wind Waker HD is a remake. It is being treated as a re-release of an old favorite. Not to mention, two characters from a re-release of an extensive franchise is beyond excessive (except, I of course did mention it).

If a Zelda character was going to be added for marketing, it would be for future games. The ideal candidate for this would likely be Impa, if we are going for a clone, because she would easily be a Sheik clone, market Hyrule Warriors, possibly Zelda U, and also represent Skyward Sword. Notice I do not say Market Skyward Sword, just pay homage to it; marketing for it is done at this stage in the game. Toon Zelda could pay tribute to those other games, but she would under no interpretation be marketing them.

The time restraint argument also doesn't seem to hold true to me. If they ran out of time last game, they deemed it not important enough- let's look at it as if they did finish last game, and they added Toon Zelda and Tetra/Sheik. As you pointed out, no transformations. I just could not fathom the decision to then, this game, have added Zelda, Sheik, Toon Zelda, and tetra, all as characters. They would have cut them this game.
Yet, they weren't added, and at his point, I'm pretty sure they are forgotten.

Last edited:

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
I could see that happening naturally with the Villager. Team members could give Villager their own projectiles or charged shots.
Auraboosted :4lucario: firing a FCAS at :4villager:'s pocket. I would hope the knock-back scaling of the FCAS in his pocket is still high because Lucario's still high % taking damage. Please yes.

4cast

Smash Ace
NNID
luma77
3DS FC
4511-0457-7629
Auraboosted :4lucario: firing a FCAS at :4villager:'s pocket. I would hope the knock-back scaling of the FCAS in his pocket is still high because Lucario's still high % taking damage. Please yes.
Then add the Killager's Watering Can to push opponents back while they are still doing a move so Lucario can fire Aura Attacks at them :yeahboi:

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
Then add the Killager's Watering Can to push opponents back while they are still doing a move so Lucario can fire Aura Attacks at them :yeahboi:
And to top it off Killager's net grasping doom won't let any others escape right?
Auraboosted Fully Charged F-smash's ridiculous knock-back potentially can kill.

Preferably, I want Sceptile to Leaf Blade Villager's Timber early on before he starts his first chop on the 3rd phase. Gotta have those quick Timbers.:ivysaur:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom