• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

mahnamahna

Smash Cadet
I don't get why everyone is so confident in Ridley. The only thing that's changed since Brawl (or melee) is the pyrosphere tease and that could just as easily be stage hazard or boss. He was super requested since Brawl, that obviously isn't enough to get him in
Well even if he doesn't get in this time, he's near locked for SSB5 - how many all-stars will be left by then? Ridley and King K. Rool of course. And there hasn't been a true heavyweight newcomer (Bowser, Ganondorf, King Dedede, DK, Charizard) or a villain newcomer, either.

Mewtwo is probably more likely than either since he's from Melee, and could easily borrow from Lucario's moveset if Sakurai doesn't have the time to revamp his moveset. But I still think either Ridley or K. Rool is probably happening... they're the two most logical villain choices at this point, followed by Medusa (female + villain=YES). They're also the only two that would cause massive hype if announced as newcomers at this point.

ElPanandero

Smash Lord
NNID
ElPanandero
Alright I figured I'd make an official wish roster. Now this is 80% wish, 20% concessions to others.

A realistic wishlist for those sticklers for realist can:

Replace:
Mask Salesman with Impa
Shuckle with Mewtwo
Lanky for Dixie
Stanley for anyone
Bomberman for Snake

I added 3 retros half because I want them all real bad, and half because I couldn't figure out what else to do with those columns :p
Didn't want to add two DK reps but it also fit real well.
Had a spot left in the Kirby Kid Icarus column so I threw Dark Pit on there for Morbid
Threw the Chrous dudes and Shulk on there because I figured I had enough fun with Issac/Andy/the retros I should throw some logic in there against my wishes.

Enjoy some chuckles from the shuckles :cool:

Attachments

Fire Emblemier

The Crests are to Blame
Switch FC
SW-2862-0450-4332
Alright I figured I'd make an official wish roster. Now this is 80% wish, 20% concessions to others.

A realistic wishlist for those sticklers for realist can:

Replace:
Mask Salesman with Impa
Shuckle with Mewtwo
Lanky for Dixie
Stanley for anyone
Bomberman for Snake

I added 3 retros half because I want them all real bad, and half because I couldn't figure out what else to do with those columns :p
Didn't want to add two DK reps but it also fit real well.
Had a spot left in the Kirby Kid Icarus column so I threw Dark Pit on there for Morbid
Threw the Chrous dudes and Shulk on there because I figured I had enough fun with Issac/Andy/the retros I should throw some logic in there against my wishes.

Enjoy some chuckles from the shuckles :cool:
Where's Lucina? Also wasn't Balloon Fighter de-confirmed due to Villager's up special?

ElPanandero

Smash Lord
NNID
ElPanandero
Where's Lucina? Also wasn't Balloon Fighter de-confirmed due to Villager's up special?
Oh shoot, I forgot lucina hahah, Uh swap her in for shulk, and yea BF is like 1% at this point, the only hope is that villager also has boxing gloves like Mac, but yea he's real unlikely, but I wanted to make a wish roster and I really wish he was in

Masonomace

Yeah Shulk, get stuck in!
NNID
Masonomace
@ ElPanandero ElPanandero
After reviewing your current 3DS roster, I took a lot into consideration with the likelyness of your roster & am posting to inform you that. . .

Your Schuckling roster gets an above average rating: :4falcon::4falcon::4falcon::4falcon::4falcon::4falcon::4falcon: out of 10 HYESZ! for exceeding the bare minimum of 18 brand newcomers or higher. Thanks for posting.

ElPanandero

Smash Lord
NNID
ElPanandero
@ ElPanandero ElPanandero
After reviewing your current 3DS roster, I took a lot into consideration with the likelyness of your roster & am posting to inform you that. . .

Your Schuckling roster gets an above average rating: :4falcon::4falcon::4falcon::4falcon::4falcon::4falcon::4falcon: out of 10 HYESZ! for exceeding the bare minimum of 18 brand newcomers or higher. Thanks for posting.
I'd like to thank the academy, all you guys here, but most importantly the shuckles, without Shuckle, this roster, and the world, would be pointless

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
I never even considered a RH character. Mostly due to my lack of knowledge towards the game.

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
Shuckle was considered for Brawl and Melee, however, they couldn't design a moveset that wouldn't break the game. One roster even consisted of only Shuckle, but the hardware limitations prevented this masterpiece from happening. Instead, we got a lame diversified roster. Who wants that?!

Joe D.

Smash Ace
NNID
NeroSnare
3DS FC
2552-1665-5337
Shuckle was considered for Brawl and Melee, however, they couldn't design a moveset that wouldn't break the game. One roster even consisted of only Shuckle, but the hardware limitations prevented this masterpiece from happening. Instead, we got a lame diversified roster. Who wants that?!
Apparently Shuckle's been teased as a boss for this game.

I can reason with that, because Shuckle is WAY TOO BIG to be playable...

egaddmario

Smash Champion
NNID
egaddmario
3DS FC
0946-2409-3627
The only reason Shuckle broke the game was it's defenses are too high and thus, it can't be launched with smash attacks. It just couldn't be balanced.

egaddmario

Smash Champion
NNID
egaddmario
3DS FC
0946-2409-3627
Isn't Shuckle normally as weak as a Magikarp? It has to use Power Trick before it can even strike hard.
Shuckle wasn't removed for offensive power- it was for defensive power. It couldn't get launched off the stage, so it never died. So even though it could only do 3% per hit, you couldn't KO it even at 624%

FalcoPaunch!121

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
5386-9681-7388
Meta Knight is a brawl playable character who is deliberately being kept hidden from us, but is alluded to as an SSB4 playable character. If he's an SSB4 playable character, what was the point of hiding him?
I don't know why, but all I'm saying is that it wouldn't be out of the ordinary for him to say that Ridley is a boss, and then for Ridley to turn up as a boss.

Good, I don't hate Ridley or don't want him playable. I just don't want people taking it out on Sakurai.
Look at todays potd. yeahhhhh!!

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
Shuckle wasn't removed for offensive power- it was for defensive power. It couldn't get launched off the stage, so it never died. So even though it could only do 3% per hit, you couldn't KO it even at 624%
You forget the reason why Shuckles is awful.
His low ass HP.

He's a character that takes half the damage of all moves compared to what the other characters get, but double the knockback.

~UNIQUENESS~

xyt4n

Smash Cadet
So I made a new Roster, now with 54 characters!
Some comments to my roster:

Prince Fluff: I dont think Waddlee has any chance coming to the roster, I mean he is a degraded as an enemy in Smash Run. An unique character should not be one of thousand. Fluff has a different art style and he is such adorable.

Paper Mario: As a represent of a whole series he should be in. And the Mario franchise could need a a character more, because the Pokemon franchise should not be the franchise with the most character.

Vaati: I dont know him, he looks cool, but what I know is, that an important franchise like LoZ needs a newcomer. He could be replaced with Impa or Ghirahim, but he stands better with Toon Link and the other character from LoZ are already realistic

Medusa: If the Kid Icarus series should get a newcomer, it should be Medua. Dark Pit is just a palette swap contrary to Dark Link. Hades could have a chance too, but Medusa has the women bonus going for her.

Krystal: A new Star Fox Game is coming and so the franchise should be stronger represented. As a unique character with the women bonus, could she better represent the series, then Wolf, which is like Dark Pit only a palette swap and I dont like him

Bomberman: He just fits perfect between Mario, Sonic, Megaman and Pac-Man. I dont see any Third Party Character, which could be better placed, include Snake.

Dixie Kong: Yeah, I did not place her. But the Kong Universe should be bigger. She could replace Prince Fluff, Paper Mario or Medusa, but I prefer more these three characters.

Shulk: I am not a fan of him. We have a lot of sword-user and he looks so close to the FE franchise. And he could not arouse my interest, without play a game with him, not like a lot of other characters

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
Why would a nobody like Bomberman be a better choice than a character from a franchise that is very influential in the industry like Snake?

TheDarkKnightNoivern

Smash Master
So I made a new Roster, now with 54 characters!
Some comments to my roster:

Prince Fluff: I dont think Waddlee has any chance coming to the roster, I mean he is a degraded as an enemy in Smash Run. An unique character should not be one of thousand. Fluff has a different art style and he is such adorable.

Paper Mario: As a represent of a whole series he should be in. And the Mario franchise could need a a character more, because the Pokemon franchise should not be the franchise with the most character.

Vaati: I dont know him, he looks cool, but what I know is, that an important franchise like LoZ needs a newcomer. He could be replaced with Impa or Ghirahim, but he stands better with Toon Link and the other character from LoZ are already realistic

Medusa: If the Kid Icarus series should get a newcomer, it should be Medua. Dark Pit is just a palette swap contrary to Dark Link. Hades could have a chance too, but Medusa has the women bonus going for her.

Krystal: A new Star Fox Game is coming and so the franchise should be stronger represented. As a unique character with the women bonus, could she better represent the series, then Wolf, which is like Dark Pit only a palette swap and I dont like him

Bomberman: He just fits perfect between Mario, Sonic, Megaman and Pac-Man. I dont see any Third Party Character, which could be better placed, include Snake.

Dixie Kong: Yeah, I did not place her. But the Kong Universe should be bigger. She could replace Prince Fluff, Paper Mario or Medusa, but I prefer more these three characters.

Shulk: I am not a fan of him. We have a lot of sword-user and he looks so close to the FE franchise. And he could not arouse my interest, without play a game with him, not like a lot of other characters

Wolf is a palette swap of fox? lol nope
Plus he's a villain and has been in the series longer

D

Deleted member

Guys I noticed something. Look at Meta Knight's right shoulder pad here. Look at the scratch marks.

They appear to be there in most of the screens we've seen so far. Either that or it's being covered. Except one...

They're not there. Visible battle damage confirmed, or just a shot from earlier in development? I personally hope this means battle damage will be implemented, but that's just me. Thoughts?

xyt4n

Smash Cadet
Why would a nobody like Bomberman be a better choice than a character from a franchise that is very influential in the industry like Snake?
Because Snake fits in this game such good, like Bayonetta and I associate with him always the Playstation. He is in my opinion deplaced.

Gold_Jacobson

Smash Journeyman
"Due to the hardware limitations of the Nintendo Wii, we were unable to fit Shuckles' power into the game.

This time though, Shuckle shells into battle on the Nintendo Wii U in HD!

However, Shuckle will blow up your Nintendo 3Ds if you play him on that version." - Sakuari Gamemagazinenews.com
August 13, 2014

TheDarkKnightNoivern

Smash Master
Guys I noticed something. Look at Meta Knight's right shoulder pad here. Look at the scratch marks.

They appear to be there in most of the screens we've seen so far. Either that or it's being covered. Except one...

They're not there. Visible battle damage confirmed, or just a shot from earlier in development? I personally hope this means battle damage will be implemented, but that's just me. Thoughts?
Hopefully not, mostly for the sake of the female characters, also if he had high damage wouldn't he be steaming?

NNID
Nightdazer
3DS FC
0731-4784-1465

I think battle damage is definitely a thing now. However, it seems a bit minuscule atm, hopefully they'll improve on this and make it more noticeable.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
Because Snake fits in this game such good, like Bayonetta and I associate with him always the Playstation. He is in my opinion deplaced.
I really don't know what you're trying to say.

The only Playstation exclusive MGS game is MGS4.

D

Deleted member

Hopefully not, mostly for the sake of the female characters, also if he had high damage wouldn't he be steaming?
I think they would be fine with most of the female characters. The biggest problem would be ZSS, but I think they could work around it. As for the steaming, developer magic?

jweb22

Smash Apprentice
Well even if he doesn't get in this time, he's near locked for SSB5 - how many all-stars will be left by then? Ridley and King K. Rool of course. And there hasn't been a true heavyweight newcomer (Bowser, Ganondorf, King Dedede, DK, Charizard) or a villain newcomer, either.
Understand that the next Smash game will be 6-10 years from now and there will most likely be a plethora of new Nintendo IPs released during that time and the main characters of those IPs will most likely be priority over Ridley (who appears to be a staple BOSS in the series) and K Rool (who isn't even relevant in the DK series anymore). Mewtwo would be the most likely to return but then again Pokemon will probably be at Gen 9 around that time so who knows what Pokemon could be insanely popular then. Basically the point is if they don't become playable in this installment of the series...then they never will be.

Doompatron3000

Smash Journeyman
Understand that the next Smash game will be 6-10 years from now and there will most likely be a plethora of new Nintendo IPs released during that time and the main characters of those IPs will most likely be priority over Ridley (who appears to be a staple BOSS in the series) and K Rool (who isn't even relevant in the DK series anymore). Mewtwo would be the most likely to return but then again Pokemon will probably be at Gen 9 around that time so who knows what Pokemon could be insanely popular then. Basically the point is if they don't become playable in this installment of the series...then they never will be.
And this is where Smash is going to go to in the future. Characters maybe swapped out with each iteration, or make one single appearance. The roster probably won't just keep expanding forever.

jweb22

Smash Apprentice
And this is where Smash is going to go to in the future. Characters maybe swapped out with each iteration, or make one single appearance. The roster probably won't just keep expanding forever.
Exactly, and for all we know this could be Sakurai's last time working as lead director of Smash. Things could change drastically (concerning characters) if he steps away.

Doompatron3000

Smash Journeyman
Exactly, and for all we know this could be Sakurai's last time working as lead director of Smash. Things could change drastically (concerning characters) if he steps away.
I don't think he'll step away, considering it was the "last" Smash game he was making since Melee, but, there's only so many characters you can have on a roster, before it becomes redundant.

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
I think they would be fine with most of the female characters. The biggest problem would be ZSS, but I think they could work around it. As for the steaming, developer magic?
They should check out how Mortal Kombat handles battle damage for the female characters. :troll:

jweb22

Smash Apprentice
I don't think he'll step away, considering it was the "last" Smash game he was making since Melee, but, there's only so many characters you can have on a roster, before it becomes redundant.
I don't feel like it would ever truly get redundant. I may get that way for us because we're long time Smash fans but think about the new generation of gamers that are coming up. I got into gaming when I was 7 and that was when Pokemon was first coming out and I was getting introduced to Mario, DK, Zelda, Kirby and then the first Smash game came out. Now imagine someone getting into gaming a year after Smash 4 comes out. I'm sure he/she will find it to be great but as time goes by and new IPs come out they will feel that those characters are part of their generation and will want them to be represented in the possible next Smash game. That will be a never ending cycle of new gamers coming up with new IPs and them wanting those characters represented.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
If you guys have Twitter, you should tweet at Geoff Keighley and tag #kojimalive. He's interviewing Kojima, so now is a chance to ask about Snake in Smash!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom