• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
If you guys have Twitter, you should tweet at Geoff Keighley and tag #kojimalive. He's interviewing Kojima, so now is a chance to ask about Snake in Smash!
I'm willing to bet they're filtering Smash related questions, unfortunately.

At least the game looks great.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
For some reason I was more disappointed than excited initially when I saw meta knight. Maybe it's because I was wanting someone more exciting.
You know, I was quite the opposite.
Then again, I feel as though I was Meta Knight's personal ambassador into this site, as it was quite late, activity was dead, I was counting down the update suspiciously, and then posted the first three threads in the Meta Knight thread :p #troll

xyt4n

Smash Cadet
Wikipedia said:
Several titles in the 2000s were published by fellow Japanese game company Konami, who gained full control of the franchise when they purchased and absorbed Hudson in 2012. Today, Bomberman has featured in over 70 different games on numerous platforms (including all Nintendo platforms save for the 3DS and Wii U), as well as several anime and manga. His franchise is one of the most commercially successful of all time.
just sayin

And Metal Gear Solid ignore completly the Wii and Wii U, so why should he be better then Bomberman?

Last edited:

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
just sayin
You know I'm comparing him to Snake, right?

If you're gonna tell me that Bomberman is somehow a bigger series than MGS then please, go right ahead.

Last edited:

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
I knew Bomberman before Snake. But that's just me of course.
If I recall correctly, Mario and Bomberman have crossed-over before as well.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
If we're gonna use Wikipedia pages as references

Wikipedia said:
The series is famous for pioneering the stealth game genre, in which the character initially has only one weapon and has to go through the game to accomplish his mission by himself. Other notable traits are cinematic cut scenes, intricate storylines, offbeat humor and exploration of political and philosophical themes. The game franchise has sold over 30 million copies worldwide, with individual installments being critically acclaimed and receiving several awards. The franchise has also been adapted into other media such as comics and drama CDs.
Checkmate, Bomberman.

And one of the two was in a Smash game before. Why is this even an argument?

Last edited:

xyt4n

Smash Cadet
I am not saying that he is not famous, I just say that firstly Snake is associate with Playstation, secondly Bomberman ist not a nobody and thirdly he fits better in the game with his history, art style and child friendly appearance

Last edited:

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
I am not saying that he is not famous, I just say that firstly Snake is associate with Playstation, secondly Bomberman ist not a nobody and thirdly he fits better in the game with his history, art style and child friendly appearance
Oh is that what we're arguing about?

Iwata and Sakurai disagree and don't care about these sort of console wars, so it doesn't matter.

Last edited:

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
If we're gonna use Wikipedia pages as references

Checkmate, Bomberman.

And one of the two was in a Smash game before. Why is this even an argument?
I'm aware you're ignoring me, and thankfully so.

But we aren't talking about series. Halo is a more popular series than MGS, is Master Chief going to be in Smash? No!
I said you are ignorant because you are just that to Bomberman, completely unaware of it's significance or prominence in any way. Ultimately the Franchise is not what matters most anyway; as stated by Sakurai, it is a character driven game, and I'd like to know your character view on how Bomberman is a less deserving character than Snake. I suppose because his creator isn't friends with Sakurai. That makes him less deserving as a character.

Glad I'm blocked so I cannot hear some ridiculously unmerited answer to that.

Edit: Seriously :4greninja:'d on Master Chief

Last edited:

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
so Master Chief could be a probably newcomer?
If Sakurai wanted to and Iwata is OK with it, why not?

I mean it's not even the same situation in any way and it'll never happen, but why not?

Last edited:

Fire Emblemier

The Crests are to Blame
Switch FC
SW-2862-0450-4332
so Master Chief could be a probably newcomer?
Has Master Chief had a game on a nintendo console? Snake has 5 games at the moment and MGS3D being the most recent. If Snake made it in, when Twin Snakes was the last metal gear game on a nintendo console, and MGS4 was being in development already confirmed an exclusive for the PS3, he could make it Smash 4.

Let's compare
Twin Snakes came out in 2004
Brawl came out in 2007

MGS3D came out 2012
Smash Bros 4 comes out this year.
Snake's chances are better now then they were in Brawl, and he made it in then.

Last edited:

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
If Sakurai wanted to and Iwata is OK with it, why not?

I mean it's not even the same situation in any way and it'll never happen, but why not?
By your statements, as far as your discussion goes, it is exactly the same situation. Unless you back up the argument otherwise.

I really despise how people use that interview with Iwata and Sakurai. Japan has an incredibly Polite culture, they are not going to bash Snake's inclusion and curse the decision to have added him. Ever. What good would that have done anyway, they did add him and it is in the past?
This is a general problem I have with how many interpret Sakurai's interviews, there is a huge cultural difference. He will not point out his mistakes, and he will highlight things he has overcome. We have to listen to the nuances of how he talks VERY carefully, because he will not speak as directly as people seem to interpret.

I suppose I will relish of the taste when my proof is in the pudding.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

To those using Master Chief as a counterargument, do you realize how IDIOTIC that is?

Has Master Chief been on any Nintendo system? No. Has Snake? Yes.
Is Halo owned by Nintendo's direct competitor? Yes. Is Metal Gear? No.

Then does it make sense to use Master Chief as a counterpoint for Snake? No.

You'd make a better argument for Goku than you would Master Chief. At least there have been dozens of DBZ games on Nintendo systems.

Last edited by a moderator:

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Lol this debate. Let's just say both have their good things about them, but MGS is the more prominent series in general. That's not even close to debatable.

Bomberman would be nice, but Snake is a vet, and has that over Bomberman no matter what.

Plus I already went over why Snake should stay a few pages ago.

mark welford

Smash Ace
this is shaping up to be a 46-49 man roster we have ICs, R.O.B., jigs, Wario, Wolf, Falco, Ganon, Ness and Lucas left which would bring the number to 46 which would leave room for 2 more newcomers

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
To those using Master Chief as a counterargument, do you realize how IDIOTIC that is?

Has Master Chief been on any Nintendo system? No. Has Snake? Yes.
Is Halo owned by Nintendo's direct competitor? Yes. Is Metal Gear? No.

Then does it make sense to use Master Chief as a counterpoint for Snake? No.

You'd make a better argument for Goku than you would Master Chief. At least there have been dozens of DBZ games on Nintendo systems.
hy·per·bo·le
hīˈpərbəlē/
noun
noun: hyperbole; plural noun: hyperboles
exaggerated statements or claims not meant to be taken literally.
synonyms: exaggeration, overstatement, magnification, embroidery, embellishment, excess, overkill, rhetoric

Hyperbole

Definition:

A hyperbole is a literary device wherein the author uses specific words and phrases that exaggerate and overemphasize the basic crux of the statement in order to produce a grander, more noticeable effect. The purpose of hyperbole is to create a larger-than-life effect and overly stress a specific point. Such sentences usually convey an action or sentiment that is generally not practically/ realistically possible or plausible but helps emphasize an emotion.

Example:

“I am so tired I cannot walk another inch” or “I’m so sleepy I might fall asleep standing here”.

Arguments in specific contention to which this was used as a counterpoint:
-Snake is iconic
-Snake is from a prominent franchise
-Moreso than Bomberman
*There was no serious assertion that Master Chief was an option.

Last edited:
NNID
TheSir24
3DS FC
2191-8079-5484
this is shaping up to be a 46-49 man roster we have ICs, R.O.B., jigs, Wario, Wolf, Falco, Ganon, Ness and Lucas left which would bring the number to 46 which would leave room for 2 more newcomers
Why only 2 more newcomers? I expect at least 51 characters, with 54 being the maximum I think.

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
My most wanted third party characters are a Tales Series character and Bomberman. I'm hoping Bomberman makes it in 5. Considering before Konami bought Hudson, Hudson had a buddy buddy relationship with Nintendo.

As for misc third party content.

Does anyone know Namco's Valkyrie? She's a character that makes a lot of cameos in Namco's games and Crossovers like NIGHTs and Sega. I'm hoping she makes an appearance in the game in some form. I wish she was more well known, she was one of gaming's first playable females. I'm also hoping for Reiji and Xiaomu from the Namco x Capcom, Endless Frontier, Project X Zone crossover universe to make a cameo as well.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Claiming "hyperbole" is no excuse for making using a bull**** point in an argument.
Edited my post. There was no claim Master Chief would be in, just clarifying that the post at hand of Snake v Bomberman was making absolutely no resolving case for Snake.

Regardless; device used in debates actually- not going to be nullified simply because you can call it 'bull****' in a post.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Edited my post. There was no claim Master Chief would be in, just clarifying that the post at hand of Snake v Bomberman was making absolutely no resolving case for Snake.
You keep thinking I'm saying there was assertion that Master Chief would be in. I'm not.

I'm saying using Master Chief as a counterpoint is idiotic because he's literally impossible of an option.

xyt4n

Smash Cadet
Let us end this discussion, its just going to be emotional ;)

Last edited:

Gold_Jacobson

Smash Journeyman
In two hours, I'm going to release the results of the surveymonkey from yesterday's choice of Blaziken or Sceptile.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
You keep thinking I'm saying there was assertion that Master Chief would be in. I'm not.

I'm saying using Master Chief as a counterpoint is idiotic because he's literally impossible of an option.
Nope, that is not what I think. Hyperbole is taking the base of someone's argument and exaggerating it to highlight the flaw in logic. That is what was being done above.

As for an impossible option, I wouldn't count anyone as impossible, just highly improbable.

Krystal, Isaac, K Rool, Ridley,
Dixie, Banjo, Skull Kid, Bowser Junior

I love the Kirby Hats!

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
It's Skull Kid.

Btw, those eight characters would make the perfect newcomer roster for me, it literally has all my unplayable favourites.

In two hours, I'm going to release the results of the surveymonkey from yesterday's choice of Blaziken or Sceptile.
I bet Sceptile won.

Thanks to Greninja and Charizard. Otherwise Blaziken would win.

Last edited:

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
By your statements, as far as your discussion goes, it is exactly the same situation. Unless you back up the argument otherwise.

I really despise how people use that interview with Iwata and Sakurai. Japan has an incredibly Polite culture, they are not going to bash Snake's inclusion and curse the decision to have added him. Ever. What good would that have done anyway, they did add him and it is in the past?
This is a general problem I have with how many interpret Sakurai's interviews, there is a huge cultural difference. He will not point out his mistakes, and he will highlight things he has overcome. We have to listen to the nuances of how he talks VERY carefully, because he will not speak as directly as people seem to interpret.

I suppose I will relish of the taste when my proof is in the pudding.
So what do you mean? That there's some sort of conspiracy theory that they actually hate Snake and Metal Gear Solid? That's asinine.

Yeah...no. Miyamoto had a hand in working on The Twin Snakes for the Gamecube, and Iwata helped bring Snake Eater 3DS to the 3DS. It's true that Iwata was unsure of Snake's inclusion in the series. Kojima even mentions that in an article himself. However, SOMEBODY had to have approved the decision to put Snake in. So that means Iwata had to have approved it. If he hated the idea of Snake in Smash, he wouldn't have allowed it in the first place, not to mention the MGS4 content in Brawl.

Just because they have a polite culture doesn't mean they secretly were scheming to get rid of Snake. Especially when you have no proof of it. I'm sorry, but simply saying, "They have a polite culture" doesn't suddenly erase everything that's been said. Obviously, any PR sort of thing isn't going to bash something, but to think they are negative to it when a LOT of people actually liked his inclusion? I don't buy it.

xyt4n

Smash Cadet
Nope, that is not what I think. Hyperbole is taking the base of someone's argument and exaggerating it to highlight the flaw in logic. That is what was being done above.

As for an impossible option, I wouldn't count anyone as impossible, just highly improbable.

Krystal, Isaac, K Rool, Ridley,
Dixie, Banjo, _____. Bowser Junior

I love the Kirby Hats!
It is Skull Kid!

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
So what do you mean? That there's some sort of conspiracy theory that they actually hate Snake and Metal Gear Solid? That's asinine.

Yeah...no. Miyamoto had a hand in working on The Twin Snakes for the Gamecube, and Iwata helped bring Snake Eater 3DS to the 3DS. It's true that Iwata was unsure of Snake's inclusion in the series. Kojima even mentions that in an article himself. However, SOMEBODY had to have approved the decision to put Snake in. So that means Iwata had to have approved it. If he hated the idea of Snake in Smash, he wouldn't have allowed it in the first place, not to mention the MGS4 content in Brawl.

Just because they have a polite culture doesn't mean they secretly were scheming to get rid of Snake. Especially when you have no proof of it. I'm sorry, but simply saying, "They have a polite culture" doesn't suddenly erase everything that's been said. Obviously, any PR sort of thing isn't going to bash something, but to think they are negative to it when a LOT of people actually liked his inclusion? I don't buy it.
You distort my entire quotation to read that I think the interview is a conspiracy, and then call my theory asinine?
Bold words from a moderator.

My point is that we are not going to get a negative statement from them in regard to including Snake, so using their words as a point for snake is absolutely incredulous. We would not hear, after Snake was included in Brawl, that they feel e did not fit, or that he is not Nintendo enough.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom