• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
You distort my entire quotation to read that I think the interview is a conspiracy, and then call my theory asinine?
Bold words from a moderator.

My point is that we are not going to get a negative statement from them in regard to including Snake, so using their words as a point for snake is absolutely incredulous. We would not hear, after Snake was included in Brawl, that they feel e did not fit, or that he is not Nintendo enough.
I called it asinine because there's absolutely nothing to support it. If that's not what you meant by your quote, you should probably explain it a little bit more thoroughly, because then that means I misunderstood.

Also, it might be"bold" for a moderator, but I'm still here to speculate. When I think I see a "theory" that I think has no foundation, I'm going to call it out. I'm not going to ignore stuff like that just because I'm a mod. It's not like I can't do that.

Frankly, if Iwata, in his deepest heart of hearts, did not think that Snake fit, then why would he go into such detail to cover how they came to the conclusion that he should be in in that interview? On top of that, if he was negative toward the inclusion, why allow it to happen in the first place?

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I called it asinine because there's absolutely nothing to support it. If that's not what you meant by your quote, you should probably explain it a little bit more thoroughly, because then that means I misunderstood.

Also, it might be"bold" for a moderator, but I'm still here to speculate. When I think I see a "theory" that I think has no foundation, I'm going to call it out. I'm not going to ignore stuff like that just because I'm a mod. It's not like I can't do that.

Frankly, if Iwata, in his deepest heart of hearts, did not think that Snake fit, then why would he go into such detail to cover how they came to the conclusion that he should be in in that interview? On top of that, if he was negative toward the inclusion, why allow it to happen in the first place?
Was my last post more clear in my view?

*Best Snake Gif, Warning*

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Was my last post more clear in my view?

*Best Snake Gif, Warning*

I already addressed the fact that we wouldn't get a negative quote from any of them because that's typically how PR works. However, that doesn't mean they actually feel negatively toward Snake's inclusion in Brawl. There is nothing to suggest that except for Kojima's words on the initial debate on if Snake were "too Sony". That was basically hinted to by Iwata in the interview with Sakurai in which he talks about "where to draw the line" with 3rd Party characters.

I guess my point is that there's no reason to think that were completely against Snake in the game, because if they were, he wouldn't have been in Brawl in the first place. Iwata basically still gets veto power.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
We would not hear, after Snake was included in Brawl, that they feel e did not fit, or that he is not Nintendo enough.
If you want "not Nintendo enough", then here's Nintendo's only competition from 1991-1995, as well as a primary competitor from 1991-2001.

"SEGA does what NintenDON'T!"

I don't remember reading "Konami isn't NintenDOOMED" in a official Konami massive advertising campaign. :rolleyes:

epicgordan

Smash Ace
Seriously, why isn't anyone as excited as I was that Meta Knight had just been confirmed today, the Miahstorm leak comptely debunked, and one of my two remaining mains from Brawl (the other being Falco) is now in? Which reminds me....

META KNIGHT!!! META KNIGHT!!! FIGHTING TO SAVE THE WORLD!!!

Sorry. Had to reference the Invitational there.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
There have been 6 Metal Gear games released on Nintendo console.

That's more games than following characters have appeared in within their respective franchises on a Nintendo console:
-Pit (3)
-The Wii Fit Trainer (3)
-Fox (if you don't count Star Fox 64 3D; if you do, it's a draw at 6)
-The Villager (4; 5 if you count Animal Crossing on the GameCube since in Japan it was a re-release since the original release of the game was on the N64)
-Pikmin & Olimar (3)
-Marth (5)
-Sheik 1 (3 if you count Master Quest AND Ocarina of Time 3D; 4 I guess if you count Dynasty Warriors 9: Hyrule Edition)
-Greninja (2 versions, soon to be 4; I don't know how many spin-offs include him, but it's less than 4)
-Ike (3)
-The Mii Fighters (literally 0)
-Palutena (3)
-Lucina (1)
-Robin (1)

Last edited:

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Seriously, why isn't anyone as excited as I was that Meta Knight had just been confirmed today, the Miahstorm leak comptely debunked, and one of my two remaining mains from Brawl (the other being Falco) is now in? Which reminds me....

Miahstorm was debunked before; but it was the best leak, who would want it fixed?
I already addressed the fact that we wouldn't get a negative quote from any of them because that's typically how PR works. However, that doesn't mean they actually feel negatively toward Snake's inclusion in Brawl. There is nothing to suggest that except for Kojima's words on the initial debate on if Snake were "too Sony". That was basically hinted to by Iwata in the interview with Sakurai in which he talks about "where to draw the line" with 3rd Party characters.

I guess my point is that there's no reason to think that were completely against Snake in the game, because if they were, he wouldn't have been in Brawl in the first place. Iwata basically still gets veto power.
My opening thesis in addressing that interview is that it points to nothing in regard to Snake coming back or not- my views are not negative in fashion with it, but that it certainly highlights nothing specifically positive.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Miahstorm was debunked before; but it was the best leak, who would want it fixed?

My opening thesis in addressing that interview is that it points to nothing in regard to Snake coming back or not- my views are not negative in fashion with it, but that it certainly highlights nothing specifically positive.
Well the way I see it, that article/interview is a powerhouse detriment to most arguments against him. "Snake isn't Nintendo enough!" and "Snake doesn't fit!" aren't really applicable to his chances because of that. Whether you believe what they say or not is up to you, but I see no reason for them to lie about it if the original option would have been to not have him in the game in the first place.

Those were essentially the biggest (and worst) arguments against him in the first place. But this basically seals the deal.

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
So far the only Brawl starters not confirmed yet are Ice Climbers, Lucas, and Wario. If there's a villains trailer I can see Lucas fighting Wario as a nod to SSE like with the Pic with Marth, Ike, and Meta Knight.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Well the way I see it, that article/interview is a powerhouse detriment to most arguments against him. "Snake isn't Nintendo enough!" and "Snake doesn't fit!" aren't really applicable to his chances because of that. Whether you believe what they say or not is up to you, but I see no reason for them to lie about it if the original option would have been to not have him in the game in the first place.

Those were essentially the biggest (and worst) arguments against him in the first place. But this basically seals the deal.
You think they would have said he doesn't fit in and he isnt Nintendo enough?
They were asked about it directly, of course they aren't going to say that! It isn't in the culture and it is bad marketing.

That is my point- that whether or not they do feel that way, it never would have been revealed. The interview in that regard proves absolutely nothing to me. It's not about lying, it is about disrespect. At a Japanese dinner, you never say you do not like something. If asked, you say it is good, or very good. Snake fits, just fine, or in other words, he is the dinner that is just good.

saggernaut724

Smash Rookie
NNID
sagwinsl
3DS FC
4785-6664-3260
-The Mii Fighters (literally 0)
The Mii Fighters are (obviously) supposed to be a representation of the Mii, which has been around since the Wii's release. They obviously couldn't just put Miis in the game, because what the hell would they do? So, if we're counting appearances, the Mii has made three: Nintendo Wii, 3DS, and Wii U.

D

Deleted member

So far the only Brawl starters not confirmed yet are Ice Climbers, Lucas, and Wario.
And the only starters that have yet to be revealed from all games are those 3 plus Ness. I think Ness/Lucas and Wario could potentially be in someone else's trailer, with the Ice Climbers being revealed early September maybe? September 14th obviously

Last edited by a moderator:

Gold_Jacobson

Smash Journeyman

For those that don't know miahstorm leak well, how did it get debunked today?

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
The Mii Fighters are (obviously) supposed to be a representation of the Mii, which has been around since the Wii's release. They obviously couldn't just put Miis in the game, because what the hell would they do? So, if we're counting appearances, the Mii has made three: Nintendo Wii, 3DS, and Wii U.
Yeah, but the actual Mii Fighters are making their video game debut on Smash 4 the same way Roy made his video game debut in Melee.

I get that they're Miis, but they're a brand new kind of Miis specific for Smash.

That is why they have the Smash logo as their logo.

They are seen as a new version of a older creation.

Regardless, it's semantics, haha.

saggernaut724

Smash Rookie
NNID
sagwinsl
3DS FC
4785-6664-3260
Yeah, but the actual Mii Fighters are making their video game debut on Smash 4 the same way Roy made his video game debut in Melee.

I get that they're Miis, but they're a brand new kind of Miis specific for Smash.

That is why they have the Smash logo as their logo.

They are seen as a new version of a older creation.

Regardless, it's semantics, haha.
Alright, I can agree with that logic.

DustyPumpkin

Smash Lord
NNID
DustyPumpkin
3DS FC
4038-5990-1614
Switch FC
0550-6678-6601
Nope, that is not what I think. Hyperbole is taking the base of someone's argument and exaggerating it to highlight the flaw in logic. That is what was being done above.

As for an impossible option, I wouldn't count anyone as impossible, just highly improbable.

Krystal, Isaac, K Rool, Ridley,
Dixie, Banjo, _____. Bowser Junior

I love the Kirby Hats!
Oh dear god that K.Rool one
(Also it's Skull Kid after Banjo)

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
He said Meta Knight was going to be revealed at Comic Con along with Bandanna Dee.
Yet The Gematsu leak was not 'Debunked' when Pacman, Mii, and Little Mac were not revealed back in 2013?

Cmon guys, Gematsu even called them 'predictions' then.

OH no... no non no..
I don't like where this is going.
Quick!

Dark Pit! Clones suck!
Original 12 means nothing, Jigglypuff is out!
Ridley is too big! Bosses---

Anything else... please....

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
The seventh kirby hat on that pic is Skull Kid I believe, but WTH is with K Rool. I'd imagine he'd just have his cape and crown.

~Krystal~

True American Heroine
Yeah, the eye is a little grotesque. He would be fine with just the crown and/or the cape.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Yet The Gematsu leak was not 'Debunked' when Pacman, Mii, and Little Mac were not revealed back in 2013?

Cmon guys, Gematsu even called them 'predictions' then.

OH no... no non no..
I don't like where this is going.
Quick!

Dark Pit! Clones suck!
Original 12 means nothing, Jigglypuff is out!
Ridley is too big! Bosses---

Anything else... please....

Last edited:

NickerBocker

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2492-4251-5054
Nope, that is not what I think. Hyperbole is taking the base of someone's argument and exaggerating it to highlight the flaw in logic. That is what was being done above.

As for an impossible option, I wouldn't count anyone as impossible, just highly improbable.

Krystal, Isaac, K Rool, Ridley,
Dixie, Banjo, Skull Kid, Bowser Junior

I love the Kirby Hats!
Love the K Rool one. The banjo one should have definitely included the blue backpack. Skull kid one is pretty good too.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
You think they would have said he doesn't fit in and he isnt Nintendo enough?
They were asked about it directly, of course they aren't going to say that! It isn't in the culture and it is bad marketing.

That is my point- that whether or not they do feel that way, it never would have been revealed. The interview in that regard proves absolutely nothing to me. It's not about lying, it is about disrespect. At a Japanese dinner, you never say you do not like something. If asked, you say it is good, or very good. Snake fits, just fine, or in other words, he is the dinner that is just good.
No. My point is that they wouldn't have added him in the first place if they felt that way. Of course they wouldn't outright say otherwise.

The thing is though, is that they didn't say he fit fine. Iwata said that, "they seem like they've always been there" in regards to Sonic and Snake. That's more than just saying, "yeah, he fits in just great!" IMO.

Last edited:

~Krystal~

True American Heroine
Well, the eye is his most noticable feature.
I could do without. K. Rool's eye simply doesn't suit poor Kirby very well at all, imo. When's the last time he had a hat transformation that frightening? He doesn't even look happy to have K. Rool's powers.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
So judging from the fact that it seems there will be characters not revealed before release in Hyrule Warriors, I'm guessing the same could happen for Smash Bros.

I hope they are really well hidden, though, so that nobody finds them all until the Wii U version comes out.

EDIT: Actually, that does not seem to be the case. Nvm.

Last edited:

TeenGirlSquad

Smash Master
Let me put this simply:

All the leaks out there except almost definitely the last 2 character remnants of what is left of the 2nd Sal leak are all fake and are all de facto debunked.

Boom! Open field to play in guys! ;)
Say what you want about JK, but I actually hope this is true. I'm sorry guys, but I just love Lucas too much.

Last edited:

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
He says that all of the "high-risk" veterans have a better shot than people are assuming.
Sakurai did say he wanted to bring everyone from Brawl back. And Mewtwo was kicked out thanks to SSE which is gone now. But hearing this makes me giddy for Lucas possibly being back.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Wait, is he saying Lucas has a good shot?
No, I'm saying that aside from Shulk and The Chorus Men/Marshall that everything else in the Sal leak could go either way.

It's based on information that is 2 years outdated.

And the one thing that isn't is the trailer stuff, which is based on Sal's source, who has a source that is out of the know with trailer releases (clearly since day 1 that should have been the case).

But yeah, based on Lucina being added late, I don't see why any character in Brawl couldn't have a similar fate, seeing as how all the 39 characters in Brawl were fantastic additions.

tl;dr, in words better than what I can say, what I am saying is this...
He says that all of the "high-risk" veterans have a better shot than people are assuming.
With that said, don't be shocked if Squirtle or Ivysaur comes back (even if they've evolved into :009: and :003: now).

Last edited:

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
No, I'm saying that aside from Shulk and The Chorus Men/Marshall that everything else in the Sal leak could go either way.

It's based on information that is 2 years outdated.

And the one thing that isn't is the trailer stuff, which is based on Sal's source, who has a source that is out of the know with trailer releases (clearly since day 1 that should have been the case).

But yeah, based on Lucina being added late, I don't see why any character in Brawl couldn't have a similar fate, seeing as how all the 39 characters in Brawl were fantastic additions.

tl;dr, in words better than what I can say, what I am saying is this...

With that said, don't be shocked if Squirtle or Ivysaur comes back (even if they've evolved into :009: and :003: now).

Funny, I had a dream a few weeks ago where Venusaur was confirmed for the game.

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
I so want Squritle and Ivysaur to return. I actually liked their movesets better than Mewtwo's. However, they could always just tweak his moveset.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom