• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

Considering how anal SPD1 are towards using characters that aren't theirs I doubt it, unless it was outsourced to a different developer.

Would be cool though, but maybe not for Warioware.
Who said SPD1 would be the ones to make such a game? :smirk:

After all, Good-Feel developed Shake It!....

Last edited by a moderator:

FalcoPaunch!121

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
5386-9681-7388
Honestly no. Would I like him in? Sure. He's a cool guy. I just don't think he's getting in. And all those shadow analyses don't really help me see it differently. Believe me, I've read them.

Not trying to start a Ridley war though.
Its the opposite! ridley is in, but would i main him? no.
To be fair, quite a bit of it is either spam or fending off detractors. Thread size says nothing about prominence.
Yes, but Ridley is a ??? who just is meant to be playable! not that i would like it, of course.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Honestly if a leak doesn't have Ridley, it's fake.
That's quite a bold thing to believe. I learned the hard way not to put too much faith in what I consider shoo-in status. I advise you lower expectations before it's too late.

G0LD3N L0TUS

Smash Lord
NNID
G0LD3N_L0TUS
3DS FC
3007-8158-6601
That's what people used to say about characters like Chrom, though. You never know.
There's a clear difference between Chrom and Ridley. Ridley, though never mentioned by name, has been alluded to by Sakurai twice, iirc. The first was more ambiguous, but the hammer was dropped during the Direct. I think that major nod-off to Ridley all but confirms him.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I just don't understand why a leak without Ridley would be automatically deemed fake when Sakurai alluded to him in the context of a boss. It'd be safer to assume he's not in.

G0LD3N L0TUS

Smash Lord
NNID
G0LD3N_L0TUS
3DS FC
3007-8158-6601
I just don't understand why a leak without Ridley would be automatically deemed fake when Sakurai alluded to him in the context of a boss. It'd be safer to assume he's not in.
A lot of people think the exact opposite, myself included. I'm all but certain Ridley is playable BECAUSE he was alluded to as a boss.

Ehhhhhhhh, that's a mighty leap. I'm not saying Ridley is not in, but try to keep somewhat realistic expectations.
A Brawl Boss is deliberately being kept hidden from us, but is alluded to as an SSB4 Boss. If he's an SSB4 boss, what was the point of hiding him?

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
That just seems like backwards thinking, to me. :/ It seems like a real stretch.

Pizzanigs

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Pizzanigs
For me, Ridley's chance diminishes every day. I see the shadow analyses, and while they're impressive, no one said that Ridley had to be huge to be a boss. For all we know, a good portion if the bosses could be playable size.

Last edited:

Scamper52596

Smash Lord
Premium
I'm willing to give Ridley the benefit of the doubt. He could be playable due to his teasing as a boss character, but never being completely shown off or even mentioned again. If Metroid gets another representative, it would most likely be Ridley because of his role in the franchise. I'm not holding my breath either way. If he's in, I'll be happy for all his supporters.

G0LD3N L0TUS

Smash Lord
NNID
G0LD3N_L0TUS
3DS FC
3007-8158-6601
Well ok, just don't get angry at Sakurai if the character that he alluded to being a boss ends up being a boss.
I wouldn't get mad at Sakurai. It would be my own damn fault for making the expectation.

But, something to keep in mind is that I believe Ridley is both a boss, AND playable. From what we've analyzed, that's Other M Ridley on the Pyroshpere. I think that Other M Ridley is the boss. What about the original Ridley? I say that Ridley is playable, and his clone is a boss.

Confirm the boss, everyone gets sad, then confirm Ridley, and you'll have the biggest hype spike (along with a totally bad-ass trailer) right before the game release.

But yeah, I think "Ridley" is both playable and a boss. I think deliberately keeping him from us like that means he's playable, but from the way what we saw acted, that looks like a boss, to me. (Also, I should note that I'm the only one I know that thinks this, lol)

ShrekItRalph

Smash Ace
The smasher comes from the bottom of the arena
A Brawl Boss is deliberately being kept hidden from us, but is alluded to as an SSB4 Boss. If he's an SSB4 boss, what was the point of hiding him?
Meta Knight is a brawl playable character who is deliberately being kept hidden from us, but is alluded to as an SSB4 playable character. If he's an SSB4 playable character, what was the point of hiding him?
I don't know why, but all I'm saying is that it wouldn't be out of the ordinary for him to say that Ridley is a boss, and then for Ridley to turn up as a boss.

I wouldn't get mad at Sakurai. It would be my own damn fault for making the expectation.
Good, I don't hate Ridley or don't want him playable. I just don't want people taking it out on Sakurai.

Last edited:

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
To be fair, quite a bit of it is either spam or fending off detractors. Thread size says nothing about prominence.
What did you expect? The fanboy level is over 9000

My heart is just wanting all the characters confirmed so we can just kill all the hype and disappointment already

....that must've sound wrong

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
That's quite a bold thing to believe. I learned the hard way not to put too much faith in what I consider shoo-in status. I advise you lower expectations before it's too late.
I agree, there really are no such things as shoo-ins. That goes for Ridley as well. He may be playable, and he may not be playable; at this point, we cannot definitively say one way or another.

What we can do, however, is analyze what information has been presented to us and form conclusions based on the evidence. In the case of Ridley, we know that he was teased as a boss, yet never confirmed as one, despite Sakurai almost always immediately clarifying what a character's role in the game is as soon as they're shown in any capacity. We also know that previous newcomers, such as Palutena, were teased in a somewhat similar manner prior to their reveal. In addition, analyses of Ridley's shadow, while not 100% accurate, shows that Ridley may be at a size suitable for a playable character. And to top it all off, Ridley's behavior in the Direct does not match up with that of a typical Smash boss; in fact, if that is a boss, it would seem to be a rather poorly designed one.

Putting all these points together, it seems to me that Ridley is likely going to be playable. However, I cannot deny the fact that Ridley was teased as a boss, and for all we know, Sakurai could just be teasing a small, poorly designed boss that people have wanted playable for years. That possibility cannot be ignored. However, I find it to be the less likely possibility.

G0LD3N L0TUS

Smash Lord
NNID
G0LD3N_L0TUS
3DS FC
3007-8158-6601
Meta Knight is a brawl playable character who is deliberately being kept hidden from us, but is alluded to as an SSB4 playable character. If he's an SSB4 playable character, what was the point of hiding him?
I don't know why, but all I'm saying is that it wouldn't be out of the ordinary for him to say that Ridley is a boss, and then for Ridley to turn up as a boss.
First, I think veterans are a different story. Every veteran has had a reason to be revealed ever since we saw Marth and Ike were build-up to the Robin trailer. I think that veterans without specific reasons, like Meta Knight, will just be left with obvious hints as like a pseudo-confirmation.

Moving on, I don't think Sakurai is going to be so straight-forward about this. Like, whether or not we think he's playable depends on whether we think he means what he's indirectly saying.

Niala

Smash Ace
I agree, there really are no such things as shoo-ins. That goes for Ridley as well. He may be playable, and he may not be playable; at this point, we cannot definitively say one way or another.

What we can do, however, is analyze what information has been presented to us and form conclusions based on the evidence. In the case of Ridley, we know that he was teased as a boss, yet never confirmed as one, despite Sakurai almost always immediately clarifying what a character's role in the game is as soon as they're shown in any capacity. We also know that previous newcomers, such as Palutena, were teased in a somewhat similar manner prior to their reveal. In addition, analyses of Ridley's shadow, while not 100% accurate, shows that Ridley may be at a size suitable for a playable character. And to top it all off, Ridley's behavior in the Direct does not match up with that of a typical Smash boss; in fact, if that is a boss, it would seem to be a rather poorly designed one.

Putting all these points together, it seems to me that Ridley is likely going to be playable. However, I cannot deny the fact that Ridley was teased as a boss, and for all we know, Sakurai could just be teasing a small, poorly designed boss that people have wanted playable for years. That possibility cannot be ignored. However, I find it to be the less likely possibility.
Even if I disagree with pretty much all the evidence provided, I like this post a lot. The information is, mostly, sensible, and it avoids the argument which I can't wrap my mind around: If Ridley is teased during a section in which bosses are being discussed, then logically, Ridley is not a boss. I cannot understand that.

Plus, this:

"He may be playable, and he may not be playable; at this point, we cannot definitively say one way or another."

is A1.

G0LD3N L0TUS

Smash Lord
NNID
G0LD3N_L0TUS
3DS FC
3007-8158-6601
Even if I disagree with pretty much all the evidence provided, I like this post a lot. The information is, mostly, sensible, and it avoids the argument which I can't wrap my mind around: If Ridley is teased during a section in which bosses are being discussed, then logically, Ridley is not a boss. I cannot understand that.
The reason I, personally, came to that conclusion is because I see little gain if Ridley were just revealed to be a boss. Revealing him playable (especially if he was both boss and playable) would build SOOO much hype!

Granted, I'm making the assumption that Ridley's fate will be determined prior to the game's release, but still.

Niala

Smash Ace
The reason I, personally, came to that conclusion is because I see little gain if Ridley were just revealed to be a boss. Revealing him playable (especially if he was both boss and playable) would build SOOO much hype!

Granted, I'm making the assumption that Ridley's fate will be determined prior to the game's release, but still.
My apologies if that came across as attacking you in specific, I hadn't intended it as such.

You're correct, it would be very exciting for a lot of people if Ridley were advertised playable within the next few weeks. But, I do think that's just a rationalization used to avoid the reality of the situation. If a character is teased as a boss character, than the likelihood is that they are a boss character. Any other evidence is secondary to me, especially fan-fabricated evidence.

G0LD3N L0TUS

Smash Lord
NNID
G0LD3N_L0TUS
3DS FC
3007-8158-6601
My apologies if that came across as attacking you in specific, I hadn't intended it as such.

You're correct, it would be very exciting for a lot of people if Ridley were advertised playable within the next few weeks. But, I do think that's just a rationalization used to avoid the reality of the situation. If a character is teased as a boss character, than the likelihood is that they are a boss character. Any other evidence is secondary to me, especially fan-fabricated evidence.
Attacking me? Did I sound offended? I wasn't by any means.

Anyhow, as I mentioned before, I think Ridley is both a boss and playable. If this turns out true, the hint is exactly what it meant, but Sakurai's just a prick, which we already know, and love him for :p

So, I'm not exactly avoiding the reality that he'd most likely be a boss. I'm taking that reality, and simply smashing everything around it, so that I can manipulate the reality to be something I want ;)

But hey, I'm not psychic. He may he playable, he may be a boss, he may be both. ****, he may be neither. THAT would be hilariously horrible. :laugh:

Last edited:

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Okay; this update is taking forever. The last two nights they came particularly early, and this ones is looking to come particularly late.

I know character updates tend to be later.....

Can someone please verify the update did not happen, for me?

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
POTDs with veteran reveals are normally earlier than usual actually.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Maybe I'm just being taken back to the Dojo days, then. When new characters were not only in Directs. I know those were later.

D

Deleted member

Please don't be broken again, Meta Knight....please don't be broken again

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
"Shuttle Loop no longer glides, and has a greater loop with two attacks"

"Shuttle Loop no longer glides, and has a greater loop with two attacks"

Last edited by a moderator:

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
...why wasn't Game and Watch officially announced after his trailer?

This is now officially suspicious.

mark welford

Smash Ace
Character Update
Cartoony
Mario
Luigi
Bowser
Peach
Rosalina&Luma
Yoshi
Donkey Kong