• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
I am being insensitive in the sense I dont care at all about the characters that have been added which is a shame, probably because they have only existed for a year or 2, maybe if those characters were given more time I might actually respect them.
Palutena's been around since NES days. Rosalina and WFT are over six.
But you hate them too.

MagnesD3

Smash Master
But was Bowser Junior really ahead of her in these things? let's have a look.

Importance.
Bowser JR has never really been that Important to the Mario series, only ever being a recurring boss. In the mid 2000's he was appearing in most Mario games, but he hasn't appeared in anything recently other than NSMB U, (he hasn't even been in the past 2 Mario Kart games when Rosalina has been.

Rosalina was introduced in galaxy and while she took a while to become one of the Mario mainstays, she has become the new go to character, even being playable in the last 3d Mario game, so while it took a while for her to over take Bowser JR in terms of importance to the series she definitely has.

Popularity.
Bowser Jr from the get go had a pretty mixed reaction from the Mario fan base. Jr first appeared in Sunshine (a game itself that has very mixed opinions on) and a lot of people couldn't stand him in the game due to his less than stellar voice acting. Alot of people also didn't like that he was taking over the role that the Koopalings once had which it seems that Nintendo has gone back on in recent years. Now in that time he has gotten a reasonable sized fanbase which I should acknowledge, but over all he has had a very mixed reaction from the Mario fanbase.

Rosalina on the other hand debuted in Mario galaxy (one of the most critically acclaimed games of all time) and received a very positive reception. Now while she didn't do all that much in Galaxy, she was a memorable character who had a touching backstory that a lot of people liked. Now as time has gone on she has become more and more popular (As I have said I think I have yet to play a match in Mario Kart 8 online without someone using Rosalina) So she definitely has popularity on her side.

Uniqueness.
As Sakurai has shown, this isn't an issue for her (although I'm sure he could have done interesting things with JR as well).
Bowser Jr. played a big role in sunshine, galaxy, galaxy 2, and the nsmb games, so there covers his importance.

His popularity although nowhere near mario's classics is very high and is about even with the beloved paper mario himself top 15 most wanted newcomers but not top 10 in the smash community and since mario games appeal to the casual market as well Jr. is very well known now so he has popularity.

His uniqueness is quite easy he has his paint brush, various machinery/weapons or the clown car.

Relevancy,Nsmb Wii U so thats a check

And now for rosalina

Importance, well in the galaxy series she needs your help and in sm3dworld she is a secret character but overall she kinda is just there and doesnt do much.

Popularity she is the fourth in line after Toad (who will never happen (sry toad fans), maybe Captn toad tho), Bowser Jr., Paper Mario and then Rosalina. Toad is definitely the highest but wont happen, Jr. and Paper are tied, and Rosalina was the last respectable one so honestly she was on the lower end of the totem pole

Uniqueness was really nothing till sakurai came up with the puppet idea.

Relevance well she has been in the galaxies, 3d world, mario kart and mario golf so she is definately relevant.

Jr. has her trumped its just sakurai had the brilliant puppet idea and thats how the cookie crumbles, doesnt mean she deserved to be in just yet as she is still fairly new at this point, her popularity has only grown recently and its most due to nintendo supporting her character

@ MagnesD3 MagnesD3 I think you are just letting your nostalgia get in the way.

Is this character too new to be iconic? Nope, *****ty choice.

Is this character not a character I can recognize (which, apparently for you, is no later than 2011)? Nope, *****ty choice.

This game is going to be Super Casual Bros. because it has characters from games you haven't played yet, right?
I have only nostalgia for mewtwo and even then I am intelligent enough to not allow nostalgia blindly control my opinions.

I consider smash bros. to be a game about nintendos history not marketing tool bros. aka lets promote this new character so he can be iconic too someday hyuck hyuck, instead of the character earning their iconic status. Nobodies shouldnt make it in smash bros. there should always be a GOOD reason for including a character in a game like this.

Also I have played the game at best buy.

Last edited:

ElPanandero

Smash Lord
NNID
ElPanandero
I don't get why everyone is so confident in Ridley. The only thing that's changed since Brawl (or melee) is the pyrosphere tease and that could just as easily be stage hazard or boss. He was super requested since Brawl, that obviously isn't enough to get him in

Scamper52596

Smash Lord
Premium
add king k rool and that roster seems very likely to me
I had King K. Rool in my overall likely characters roster, which had 59 characters. This is my expected roster though, and unfortunately I don't think K. Rool has enough going for him right now for me to believe he's on the actual roster. I could be wrong though; I still think he's possible.

I like it other than Toon Zelda.
You're not the first to tell me that. I'm fully aware how many people aren't too keen on Toon Zelda's possible inclusion. I have put a lot of thought into the Zelda franchise side of the roster and sorry to say, but Toon Zelda is who I truly believe has the biggest chance at the moment.

GunGunW

Smash Lord
NNID
GunGunW
I had King K. Rool in my overall likely characters roster, which had 59 characters. This is my expected roster though, and unfortunately I don't think K. Rool has enough going for him right now for me to believe he's on the actual roster. I could be wrong though; I still think he's possible.

You're not the first to tell me that. I'm fully aware how many people aren't too keen on Toon Zelda's possible inclusion. I have put a lot of thought into the Zelda franchise side of the roster and sorry to say, but Toon Zelda is who I truly believe has the biggest chance at the moment.
Well, you can't really blame us for not wanting three Zelda's.

MagnesD3

Smash Master
Ridley 100%
Mewtwo 70%
King K Rool 30%
I do agree with this and feel bad for K. Rool fans, their is hope but its all depends on sakurais attitude. Do I make the Western and Eastern Fanbase happy.. hmmmm naw lets add Lip in cuz its a girl/retro/surprise/unpopular/derp. (sry if I come off as bitter, waiting a long time can do that to you.)

skylanders fan

Smash Lord
NNID
KyleWussler
i

he has more than dixe does and i also dont belive lucas and toon zelda will be playble

ihskeyp

Smash Ace
I have only nostalgia for mewtwo and even then I am intelligent enough to not allow nostalgia blindly control my opinions.

I consider smash bros. to be a game about nintendos history not marketing tool bros. aka lets promote this new character so he can be iconic too someday hyuck hyuck, instead of the character earning their iconic status. Nobodies shouldnt make it in smash bros. there should always be a GOOD reason for including a character in a game like this.

Also I have played the game at best buy.
What 'nobodies' have made it in smash bros? You act like you know the process of how characters SHOULD be decided, but that's solely based on your opinion, and good characters shouldn't be ignored simply for being 'too new'.
Even then, Palutena, Little Mac, Villager, Pacman, Megaman, and even Miis and WFT have been around for a while now, and are ALL important enough to warrant a playable appearance in smash.
Rosalina has been around for almost 7 years now, and she's popular enough to be in. Lucina and Robin are a huge part of Fire Emblem, and are 'iconic' enough to be there.

Most of your arguments are 'WHY ARE THESE GUYS IN B4 RIDLEY KROOL AND MEWTWO' which is pretty stupid.
Don't buy the game if you literally hate EVERY character that's been added, simple as that.

Last edited:

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
I don't get why everyone is so confident in Ridley. The only thing that's changed since Brawl (or melee) is the pyrosphere tease and that could just as easily be stage hazard or boss. He was super requested since Brawl, that obviously isn't enough to get him in
It's less based on justifications and more based on actual in-game evidence. A number of Ridley supporters, myself included, believe that there is enough evidence to say that Ridley is more than likely going to be playable. However, it would take far too long for me to explain all that here, so I'd suggest checking out the second post in the Ridley support thread for more information.

Scamper52596

Smash Lord
Premium
Well, you can't really blame us for not wanting three Zelda's.
And I'm not. She's just who I expect to be on the roster.

i

he has more than dixe does and i also dont belive lucas and toon zelda will be playble
You can believe whatever you want. You're not giving me any reason to change my mind on who I chose to be on my roster.

CJ Falcon

Smash Lord
Pls no 1 diss K. Rool or I mite crie. :crying:

But in all seriousness, I think K. Rool will be playable. And if you disagree, hey that's ok and you can go fork yourself for all I care. :p

MagnesD3

Smash Master
What 'nobodies' have made it in smash bros? You act like you know the process of how characters SHOULD be decided, but that's solely based on your opinion, and good characters shouldn't be ignored simply for being 'too new'.
Even then, Palutena, Little Mac, Villager, Pacman, Megaman, and even Miis and WFT have been around for a while now, and are ALL important enough to warrant a playable appearance in smash.
Rosalina has been around for almost 7 years now, and she's popular enough to be in. Lucina and Robin are a huge part of Fire Emblem, and are 'iconic' enough to be there.

Most of your arguments are 'WHY ARE THESE GUYS IN B4 RIDLEY KROOL AND MEWTWO' which is pretty stupid.
Don't buy the game if you literally hate EVERY character that's been added, simple as that.
WFT, Lucina, Robin, Greninja are nobodies because they really arent important although I do accept them I still think their inclusions were definitely not needed (although they look fun, but thats because of sakurai.) I personally think the inclusion of these characters shows kinda how faulty the character selection process of sakurais may be, although I cant know till the end.

Rosalina and Palutena arent nobodies but they definitely havent earned a spot in smash yet they are barely an inkblot in nintendos history, (Rosalina hasnt done squat and Palutena has basically only existed for 1 game (although she is important in that 1 game). In time these could be additions but imo they got in before they were ready personally since they were newish and female and could offer unique movesets (the last part definitely not being a bad thing.)

ElPanandero

Smash Lord
NNID
ElPanandero
It's less based on justifications and more based on actual in-game evidence. A number of Ridley supporters, myself included, believe that there is enough evidence to say that Ridley is more than likely going to be playable. However, it would take far too long for me to explain all that here, so I'd suggest checking out the second post in the Ridley support thread for more information.
I've been there, I'm not saying it's not possible, I'm saying it's not 100% like everyone thinks. I personally don't even think it's likely at all

MagnesD3

Smash Master
Palutena's been around since NES days. Rosalina and WFT are over six.
But you hate them too.
I dont hate any of them, I just dont think they deserve the honor of being in smash yet.

And lets be honest Palutena has "really" only existed for 2 years.

P.S.

I probably would have never put Wii Fit Trainer in lol, I never thought that series needed a rep but I guess she sums up what the wii was quite nicely I suppose lol. She will make for a good WTF character (she should have been secret though and not on the front of the boxart...)

Last edited:

Masonomace

Yeah Shulk, get stuck in!
NNID
Masonomace
On the matter of the Big 3.
Percentile opinion:
King K. Rool = 55%
Mewtwo = 65%
Ridley = 60%

That appears to look pessimistic of me, but I'm trying to be realistic decent about their odds of being in or out. I'm just neutral on all 3 of them, though I take notice of their controversy & huge fan-base demand.
I don't have any merits to discuss about them other than the in-game evidence / speculation & back-story of why they're relevant or not.
*Dips to go to a party*

Last edited:

ihskeyp

Smash Ace
WFT, Lucina, Robin, Greninja are nobodies because they really arent important although I do accept them I still think their inclusions were definitely not needed (although they look fun, but thats because of sakurai.) I personally think the inclusion of these characters shows kinda how faulty the character selection process of sakurais may be, although I cant know till the end.

Rosalina and Palutena arent nobodies but they definitely havent earned a spot in smash yet they are barely an inkblot in nintendos history, (Rosalina hasnt done squat and Palutena has basically only existed for 1 game (although she is important in that 1 game). In time these could be additions but imo they got in before they were ready personally since they were newish and female and could offer unique movesets (the last part definitely not being a bad thing.)
Robin and Lucina aren't important? They're just as important as Ike, they're just newer, and new isn't a bad thing. They both are ridiculously popular (especially in japan) and if you couldn't tell by the huge amount of hype caused by their trailer then I don't know how to prove it to you.
Greninja sort of represents the newer Pokemon games, which are successful enough to warrant a character, and considering how many people play Pokemon, I'm sure most Nintendo fans recognize him.
WFT represents a different side of Nintendo. She's there for Wii Fit, and even though people don't know her name, most people will recognize her, because Wii Fit is extremely popular.
Yes the choices shouldn't all be based off of popularity, but some definitely should. This isn't just some Nintendo museum, it's also a game, that they need to sell.

Scamper52596

Smash Lord
Premium
I've noticed that it seems like this is the way they're picking characters to be playable in Smash 4.

First and foremost, they have to be relevant to the franchise they're representing, and they have to be at least be one of the following:
A. Popular enough to be in Smash.
B. Easily able to market.

If any character is all three, then that's a bonus. It also helps if the character has unique move set potential. Like why Sakurai picked Robin over Chrom. That's my two cents on the matter.

ElPanandero

Smash Lord
NNID
ElPanandero
On the matter of the Big 3.
Percentile opinion:
King K. Rool = 55%
Mewtwo = 65%
Ridley = 60%

That appears to look pessimistic of me, but I'm trying to be realistic decent about their odds of being in or out. I'm just neutral on all 3 of them, though I take notice of their controversy & huge fan-base demand.
I don't have any merits to discuss about them other than the in-game evidence / speculation & back-story of why they're relevant or not.
*Dips to go to a party*
On a tuesday? More power to you my man

Also, I like these odds the best, though I still have Ridley real low, and rool slightly higher. I just don't see eitehr of them being in if they haven't already made the cut yet. I give rool a slight edge because a possible reason for missing brawl is the planned choice of dixie over him.

Last edited:

MagnesD3

Smash Master
I've noticed that it seems like this is the way they're picking characters to be playable in Smash 4.

First and foremost, they have to be relevant to the franchise they're representing, and they have to be at least be one of the following:
A. Popular enough to be in Smash.
B. Easily able to market.

If any character is all three, then that's a bonus. It also helps if the character has unique move set potential. Like why Sakurai picked Robin over Chrom. That's my two cents on the matter.
I believe this is well and it really really makes me worried characters that deserve a spot wont get in for some character that will sell a brand new game OMG MARKETING!

I do appreciate that at least sakurai is making these characters play uniquely although they are marketing tools...

Also emphasis on the phrase "popular enough".

ZecaOMestre

Smash Apprentice
I think I'm alone on this one, but I don't think we're seeing the Big 3 as playable
Ridley has a lot going agaisnt him, he was teased to be a stage hazard and, although he's quite popular here, in Japan he's not as popular (Metroid as a whole is kinda unpopular there). I do think he would be a cool addition, but I don't think he's in
K. Roll is very probable, but I think Dixie is more (seeing as how Sakurai has been favoring characters who have been important recently and is favoring characters which have lady parts). Of course they could be both in, but that's not as probable.
Then, Mewtwo. I don't have a very good point other then a gut feeling that he's not coming back

Then again, I could be completely wrong

ElPanandero

Smash Lord
NNID
ElPanandero
I think I'm alone on this one, but I don't think we're seeing the Big 3 as playable
Ridley has a lot going agaisnt him, he was teased to be a stage hazard and, although he's quite popular here, in Japan he's not as popular (Metroid as a whole is kinda unpopular there). I do think he would be a cool addition, but I don't think he's in
K. Roll is very probable, but I think Dixie is more (seeing as how Sakurai has been favoring characters who have been important recently and is favoring characters which have lady parts). Of course they could be both in, but that's not as probable.
Then, Mewtwo. I don't have a very good point other then a gut feeling that he's not coming back

Nah bro, I'm with you too. I want 2/3 of them playable, but they all should have happened in Brawl if they were gonna happen, not much has changed for any of them except Mewtwo. I'd say he's the most likely, but I don't think we're gonna see it either

skylanders fan

Smash Lord
NNID
KyleWussler

i will counter everthing you just said
ridley was teased and not plain deconfirmed and if fi get 4 reps metroid desrves at lease 3
king k rool sakurai also said we need vilians and why revive the kremlings for no reason
mewtwo has 6 reps in brawl for pokemon highly requested everywhere and we are thinking about it from sakurai and charzard has a X mega evolution so we need a character for y

Last edited:

hotcrumpets

Smash Journeyman
Ridley 100%
Mewtwo 70%
King K Rool 30%
this, I feel as though we are going to have only 2 of the big 3 at most and I am like 99% sure Ridley is playable. Mewtwo has the edge in my opinion because he is a veteran and would defiantly be easier to add than King K rool.

ZecaOMestre

Smash Apprentice
i will counter everthing you just said ridley was teased and not plain deconfirmed and if fi get 4 reps metroid desrves at lease 3
Yeah, I know he wasn't straight out deconfirmed, but he was, like, super teased. We shouldn't rule him out, but I don't see why he woudl still be a shoo-in

MagnesD3

Smash Master
Robin and Lucina aren't important? They're just as important as Ike, they're just newer, and new isn't a bad thing. They both are ridiculously popular (especially in japan) and if you couldn't tell by the huge amount of hype caused by their trailer then I don't know how to prove it to you.
Greninja sort of represents the newer Pokemon games, which are successful enough to warrant a character, and considering how many people play Pokemon, I'm sure most Nintendo fans recognize him.
WFT represents a different side of Nintendo. She's there for Wii Fit, and even though people don't know her name, most people will recognize her, because Wii Fit is extremely popular.
Yes the choices shouldn't all be based off of popularity, but some definitely should. This isn't just some Nintendo museum, it's also a game, that they need to sell.
I agree that the characters like Robin, Greninja and Lucina have some popularity but they are definately not Popularity Tanks like others, they are flavors of the month characters (which sadly tends to be a trend with FE and pokemon newcomers) aka short lived characters whose popularity will probably fade with the new FE protagonist or new pokemon (example Zoroark).

Its characters like these who dont earn their popularity over time but are instead very trend based which doesnt last, by eternalizing them in smash you are in some shape eternalizing that popularity in some sense forever which I dont like characters who havent earned it gain. An Example could be Ike but luckily the man got 2 games and could receive more, so Ike is a mainstay now but he wasnt always. Lucario turned out also to be eternally popular but when you look at Roy he is only popular because of smash with the smash fanbase and not even all the smash fanbase he isnt important to FE and never was and thats a shame however he will always be a little popular due to smash and people enjoyed him, I just dont want nobodies in my smash bros. The point is I dont want trendy characters to be in smash bros. unless they will always be popular. (sorry if I didnt make this clear enough)

To be clear now that those 3 are in the game they better maintain their popularity and receive sequels or they were a waste of time.

saggernaut724

Smash Rookie
NNID
sagwinsl
3DS FC
4785-6664-3260
I dont hate any of them, I just dont think they deserve the honor of being in smash yet.

And lets be honest Palutena has "really" only existed for 2 years.

P.S.

I probably would have never put Wii Fit Trainer in lol, I never thought that series needed a rep but I guess she sums up what the wii was quite nicely I suppose lol. She will make for a good WTF character (she should have been secret though and not on the front of the boxart...)
I feel like if she were a hidden character, I'd be pissed. I mean, I like her character in Smash, but if I'm sitting there playing and I hear the challenger approaching, I would be genuinely disappointed if it was just Wii Fit trainer.

Last edited:

MagnesD3

Smash Master
i will counter everthing you just said
ridley was teased and not plain deconfirmed and if fi get 4 reps metroid desrves at lease 3
king k rool sakurai also said we need vilians and why revive the kremlings for no reason
mewtwo has 6 reps in brawl for pokemon highly requested everywhere and we are thinking about it from sakurai and charzard has a X mega evolution so we need a character for y
Could you link where sakurai said we need more villains plz?

I feel like if she were a hidden character, I'd be pissed. I mean, I like her character in Smash, but if I'm sitting there playing and I hear the challenger approaching, I would be genuinely disappointed if it was just Wii Fit trainer.
Yeah but the trailer when smash debuted at e3 last year could have been better. Brawls introduction was way more hype, I mean he confirms fan favorites metaknight and wario, shows a new concept with zero suit samus, a reborn retro with Pit and Snake who opens up the door for third parties.

Last edited:

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
I found Rosalina to be the most likely Mario newcomer. Then Bowser Jr.

Also, why is Waluigi marked as a Wario character? Not even Sakurai knows what he does. :troll:

D

Deleted member

I hope it means there's a Wario game in the works where Waluigi finally plays a role.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom