• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

xyt4n

Smash Cadet
Honestly almost every popular newcomer candidate will be in the game in a some form that's bigger than a trophy, just because it's been solidified does not mean they can't be DLC.
So you think they remove her as an assist and add her to the roster? Nah, I don't think this, because Nintendo does not like to change things in the game. But I would love it, she is so cute.

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger
I've brought it up before, though no one took it very seriously.

The best-case scenario involving Pokemon is one in which Sceptile and Blaziken are confirmed, and Squirtle, Ivysaur, Mewtwo and Jigglypuff return.

This way we have 2 of each Starter, and every basic Type is filled out.
Best-case scenario? In my subjective opinion, that is the worst-case scenario.

I wouldn't bet on a WarioWare character in this installment of Smash, at least initially.

However, if DLC is a real thing, then I have faith in the inclusion of Kat and Ana.
No Wario, are you certain? I understand that it is odd that he has not yet been revealed, but I certainly expect a WarioWare character in this installment, I doubt they would omit him from the roster.

But seriously, Mona master race.

Honestly almost every popular newcomer candidate will be in the game in a some form that's bigger than a trophy, just because it's been solidified does not mean they can't be DLC.
I agree with this sentiment, it is utterly arbitrary to assert that DLC of already revealed characters will not happen... because they are already in the game. It was a logical presumption... six years ago, but given the notion that this game will have patches (I believe it will, anyways... gods help us if it does not) they could always patch out the assist trophy for the character to satisfy those who proclaim that it would be odd seeing a character in two different roles in an all-star party game where you can already do that by default and more. Regardless, I digress. Sakurai is not limiting the potential DLC pool by representing characters in different ways. Even Chrom still has a chance; albeit, I doubt his chances. But he is most certainly not de-confirmed for a DLC role.

MagnesD3

Smash Master
I'm really tired of seeing characters without merit making it into smash and am really hoping sakurai is smart and is saving the big 3 for last.

Cough (Lucina, Robin, Palutena, Greninja, Wii Fit Trainer, Rosalina) Cough

The only reason these guys will be enjoyable is due to sakurais game design otherwise these guys didnt deserve playability status at this time.

(Hell its almost like Sakurai is ignoring the good choices but that waits to be seen based on the final roster.)

Last edited:

Fire Emblemier

The Crests are to Blame
Switch FC
SW-2862-0450-4332
Today, I've been thinking about the chances of Doctor Mario returning. It seems pretty likely at the moment, but I'm guessing most would say it would go the way of PM and become a alt. costume for Mario. Yet, for a few reasons, I feel Sakurai would put him as a character and have a CSS on the roster, rather than going with the PM way. For one, during a PotD after Lucina's reveal, Sakurai stated in one of the pics, that Lucina was promoted to a character for having a few differences. Dr. Mario in Melee, had different attributes like the Pill instead of a Fireball, his FSmash, a different down special (due to Brawl (was same in melee)) and more. So if he were to big included, I feel Sakurai would rather have him have his own spot on the roster screen due to these differences. The Doc was planned for Brawl, but was scrapped due to time constraints, also. So what do you think do you think Doctor Mario may be in, or no?

I'm going to do a quick summary of his Pros and Cons
Pros:
-Appeared as a playable character on the roster in Melee.
-Easy to develop due to being a "Pure" clone.
-Was planned for Brawl
-Sakurai's statement on a PotD from July.
-Has enough differences to Mario to warrant his own spot on the roster.

Cons:
-Is a cut character from Brawl
-Is Mario, so could be an alt. costume
-Mixed popularity (A good amount of people like him, a good amount of people hate him)
-Anti Clone propaganda

Last edited:

MagnesD3

Smash Master
Dr Mario is honestly a very bland and unworthy character who I'd personally hate to see come back since he could be an alt but then again Lucina got in and I consider her to be in the same category so who knows.

Joe D.

Smash Ace
NNID
NeroSnare
3DS FC
2552-1665-5337
No Wario, are you certain? I understand that it is odd that he has not yet been revealed, but I certainly expect a WarioWare character in this installment, I doubt they would omit him from the roster.

But seriously, Mona master race.

Well I only say that because I just don't see a new rep from that franchise all the likely with the way the character reveals have been going, but if WW is getting a character, I would imagine that it would be the twinjas.

They've had a role in the previous smash, have not been seen in this new game, and have far more move set potential than Mona.

Not to mention, they could add to the incredibly overwhelming list of current duo characters.

EDIT: Ok, someone is going to have to teach me how to take partial quotes. This transition from mobile to Mac is a huge undertaking for me.

Last edited:

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Dr Mario is honestly a very bland and unworthy character who I'd personally hate to see come back since he could be an alt but then again Lucina got in and I consider her to be in the same category so who knows.
Why?

He represents Nintendo's popular puzzle series.
That should count for something.

Fire Emblemier

The Crests are to Blame
Switch FC
SW-2862-0450-4332
Rather opinionated response... Keep in mind this is speculation, though, I see the Doc as likely, even though many don't like clone characters, especially when the character in mind isn't a necessity to the series like Falco or Luigi.

MagnesD3

Smash Master
Rather opinionated response... Keep in mind this is speculation, though, I see the Doc as likely, even though many don't like clone characters, especially when the character in mind isn't a necessity to the series like Falco or Luigi.
Falco and Luigi are actually important and are well designed characters who honestly dont play at all like fox and mario at this point.

I was indifferent to this entirely opinionated post until you dissed Lucina.
Im sorry but Lucina is such a flavor of the month character who is brand new and literally only got in because she is female and an easy clone with a brand new fan base based off of FE awakening alone (ignoring old FE games

Last edited:

Masonomace

Yeah Shulk, get stuck in!
NNID
Masonomace
I've brought it up before, though no one took it very seriously.

The best-case scenario involving Pokemon is one in which Sceptile and Blaziken are confirmed, and Squirtle, Ivysaur, Mewtwo and Jigglypuff return.

This way we have 2 of each Starter, and every basic Type is filled out.
I see why no one took it that seriously.:p The greatness of Pokemon in SSB, is their growing playable count for each game, they're 2nd Party & usually get huge amount of promotion, that said 10 is a number I'll believe in SSB5 or 6 when that comes around. But I agree on returning veterans as DLC, not through the final roster. 2 / 4 / 6 or 7, that's the order of the playable number of Pkmn we got through each Smash Bros. installment, 7 if you wanna count Mewtwo for being in the game but cut due to time restraints.
The Best-case scenario involving starter pokemon would be every playable pokemon starter going from Gen 1 all the way through Gen 6, being 18 starters as playable, so that no starter is left out *cough*. And even then that's not the best-case scenario for pokemon in SSB.:awesome: It's like wise fans say,
It's fine to have 6+ fighting pokemon, however it's not fine to have 31496043
Considering Blaziken would likely be a Falcon clone, I'd rather have Sceptile.
I like Sceptile, but I don't want another Marth clone. A Falcon clone you say? Better than Ganon-clone:troll: Thank you said users from Sceptile thread.

Blaziken, a Falcon clone? Lol.
If anything, Blaziken would be a Shotoclone.
Shoryuken!

Both de-confirmed!

Still on the topic of DLC & WarioWare, I'm open for Mona, Cpt. Syrup for antagonist despite Wario being villain-esque, & the twinjas for the points users made out for her previous AT status in Brawl being a possible Little Mac treatment. All are decent or above decent candidates for that 2nd WareioWare slot imo.

I also wanna mention how cripple I'd feel if I said we need a lot of DLC, that is not the case, for I do not want to have a crutch of relying on DLC getting in the game. DLC should be limited & not over-flow. The sound & thought of anime characters via DLC is cool & all, but seriously should stay away. . .I want a digimon for DLC. . .there is that new fighting platform Digimon game coming this fall 2014, however atm only through PS3 & Xbox360. .

Dr. Mario has some merits for semi-clone character slot or as alternate swap like Lucina's predicament. If we compared him to Lucina today, Dr. Mario has even more credibility to be a shoe-in, having his own differences in his move-set in contrast to Mario. I can list off all of the differences if you'd like. Needs a more doctor-PH.D. move-set.:urg:

Last edited:

Fire Emblemier

The Crests are to Blame
Switch FC
SW-2862-0450-4332
Falco and Luigi are actually important and are well designed characters who honestly dont play at all like fox and mario at this point.
I wasm't using them as an argument I was just stating that Falco and Luigi are a exception to the clone rule, that people hate, no need to be needlessly defensive. Just because you don't want Doc doesn't mean his chances are disproved...

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Im sorry but Lucina is such a flavor of the month character who is brand new and literally only got in because she is female and an easy clone with a brand new fan base based off of FE awakening alone (ignoring old FE games).
Well isn't it a good thing she is just a clone?
A clone made from a alt no less, since you hate her so much?

GunGunW

Smash Lord
NNID
GunGunW
I wasm't using them as an argument I was just stating that Falco and Luigi are a exception to the clone rule, that people hate, no need to be needlessly defensive. Just because you don't want Doc doesn't mean his chances are disproved...
Falco and Luigi are necessities to their series's. Luigi especially is the second most important character in Mario, and Falco is Fox's second in command.

MagnesD3

Smash Master
Well isn't it a good thing she is just a clone?
A clone made from a alt no less, since you hate her so much?
I dont hate lucina, I hate the fact she was allowed to be a character slot. But hey if pichu can get in almost anyone can...

Also I dont deny dr. mario's chances are high (I mean sakurai did actually make him a character in the first place) im say i dont want him due to his blandness and waste of time to being developed into a character.

Fire Emblemier

The Crests are to Blame
Switch FC
SW-2862-0450-4332
Falco and Luigi are necessities to their series's. Luigi especially is the second most important character in Mario, and Falco is Fox's second in command.
I worded it weirdly sorry, I was saying how most people (but not me) hate most of the clones, with the only exceptions being Falco and Luigi because of their importance to their series.

I actually love most of the clones, I main Lucas and plan to main Lucina

GunGunW

Smash Lord
NNID
GunGunW
I worded it weirdly sorry, I was saying how most people (but not me) hate most of the clones, with the only exceptions being Falco and Luigi because of their importance to their series.

Oh, I see. I don't hate clones either so I agree with you.

MagnesD3

Smash Master

lucas is a clone in specials only so i dont really consider the case similar to lucina (although I would be grateful if sakurai declones lucas further)

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
I'm really tired of seeing characters without merit making it into smash and am really hoping sakurai is smart and is saving the big 3 for last.

Cough (Lucina, Robin, Palutena, Greninja, Wii Fit Trainer, Rosalina) Cough

The only reason these guys will be enjoyable is due to sakurais game design otherwise these guys didnt deserve playability status at this time.

(Hell its almost like Sakurai is ignoring the good choices but that waits to be seen based on the final roster.)
Any merit that a character has is entirely subjective to begin. Everyone has their own views and believes on that and I don't think the big three as you talk about is any different in that regards.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
I dont hate lucina, I hate the fact she was allowed to be a character slot. But hey if pichu can get in almost anyone can...
Also I dont deny dr. mario's chances are high (I mean sakurai did actually make him a character in the first place) im say i dont want him due to his blandness and waste of time to being developed into a character.[/quote]

It's not a waste of anyone's time because he's a clone. That's why adding him is a good idea in the first place; it's easy, effortless fanservice.
And unlike Lucina, they don't even have to bring back Laura Bailey for the voice (that would be weird coming from Mario) they can just reuse Mario's voice.

Last edited:

ZeldaMaster

Smash Lord
Chrom should have got in.

Sakurai didn't want Chrom because he wouldn't be unique from Ike and Marth?

OH SURE let's contradict that whole damn statement and include a straight up Marth clone.

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342

OH SURE let's contradict that whole damn statement and include a straight up Marth clone.
I'm pretty sure that this has been pointed out enough times. Given on how the whole thing played out, Lucina for all intends and purposes was intended to be a Marth costume and nothing else originally and those plans changed later. That's a very different situation then what you are describing.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman

Which fails in comparison because it wasn't Chrom vs. Lucina, it was Chrom vs. Robin. Lucina was an alt, then he later decided (LONG AFTER Chrom's role) to add Lucina as a separate character. Sorry, the argument doesn't work, as has been stated MANY times.

Masonomace

Yeah Shulk, get stuck in!
NNID
Masonomace
Looks like clones are the topic (again), @ Morbi Morbi aka MorbiddenAllTrueism, get in here & discuss clones *hintx2* *winkx2*.:shades:

True, but when you have Marth & Ike being speed - power with a sword, would evening it out in the middle of both speed & power make him unique? Probably.
Robin > Chorm as far as the reasons for unique game-play, way beyond Chrom would of been.
Lucina was an alternate gender swap to begin with, Chrom being scrapped for their reasons would of only given FE 1 new character / slot. This is another speculation on why Sakurai wanted to develop Lucina's sword differently in plance of Chrom.

Last edited:

Autumn ♫

I'm terrible with these Custom Titles.
I honestly think it's better that we got Lucina than Chrom, but I never liked the idea of Chrom playable (he was my least wanted character after the Mii's were revealed) and Lucina was in my top 3 most wanted, so it's probably just my bias.

Bravetriforcer

Smash Ace
Now that I just finished Kid Icarus Uprising and can actually feel my left hand again, I have this to say about Hades and Snake.

I get the distinct feeling Hades only really exists to be an emergency back up plan for Codec conversations if the deal to get Snake back in Smash 4 fell through in 2012. I mean the fact that
two thirds of the two thirds of the game he's around is spent introducing new villains to overshadow Hades with so he can sit around and be hilarious certainly seems like Sakurai really trying to sell us on the idea of this being the new Codec call guy.

ElPanandero

Smash Lord
NNID
ElPanandero
Had a random thought about Paper Mario. What if 8-Bit Mario (the amibbo thing) was intended, but they realized that he has literally no potential, so they retextured the 2D Mario skeleton and made it into Paper Mario, someone get @aldelaro5 back in here and see what he thinks

MagnesD3

Smash Master
Any merit that a character has is entirely subjective to begin. Everyone has their own views and believes on that and I don't think the big three as you talk about is any different in that regards.
I base my merit on Importance, Popularity, Uniqueness and Relevance.
Wii Fit Trainer fits imo only the relevance category, Robin hits the uniqueness and relevance categories but only a few give a crap since he is neither important or popular to the FE series, (be aware any character can be made unique so it doesnt place very high for me).

Lets see palutena has relevance since she is extremely new to actually mattering aka 1 game, and her uniqueness allows her to be acknowledged (also sakurai has bias towards his characters).

Then there is greninja who has relevance since he is brand new and thats about it.

Rosalina honestly was only unique due to sakurai so I wont count that towards her inclusion so I give her relevance since she is a newer character to the mario lore although not as important as many other choices (but sakurai created uniqueness so theres that.)

Finally it comes to Lucina who is relevant also, funny how this smash is placing an INSANE amount of importance on how new a character is almost like a marketing tool how awesome.

Characters who got in on merit where megaman, little mac, villager, miis (history) and pacman (history). So Im sure many hardcore fanbases feel the pain so far of how mediocre this roster has been so far although the game itself looks fun.

Also I dont deny dr. mario's chances are high (I mean sakurai did actually make him a character in the first place) im say i dont want him due to his blandness and waste of time to being developed into a character.
It's not a waste of anyone's time because he's a clone. That's why adding him is a good idea in the first place; it's easy, effortless fanservice.
And unlike Lucina, they don't even have to bring back Laura Bailey for the voice (that would be weird coming from Mario) they can just reuse Mario's voice.[/quote]
I just dont like mediocre character slots filling up the screen, Id rather sakurai spend more time with other characters.

Last edited:

Autumn ♫

I'm terrible with these Custom Titles.
Now that I just finished Kid Icarus Uprising and can actually feel my left hand again, I have this to say about Hades and Snake.

I get the distinct feeling Hades only really exists to be an emergency back up plan for Codec conversations if the deal to get Snake back in Smash 4 fell through in 2012. I mean the fact that
two thirds of the two thirds of the game he's around is spent introducing new villains to overshadow Hades with so he can sit around and be hilarious certainly seems like Sakurai really trying to sell us on the idea of this being the new Codec call guy.
I highly doubt Sakurai was really even thinking about Smash 4 at the time.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
I base my merit on Importance, Popularity, Uniqueness and Relevance.
Wii Fit Trainer fits imo only the relevance category, Robin hits the uniqueness and relevance categories but only a few give a crap since he is neither important or popular to the FE series, (be aware any character can be made unique so it doesnt place very high for me).
I guess being the main character of the best reviewed and best selling Fire Emblem game means nothing to you?

MagnesD3

Smash Master
I guess being the main character of the best reviewed and best selling Fire Emblem game means nothing to you?
Not when they are brand new and FE is really a niche franchise. Maybe after Lucina has been in a game or two and her popularity grows and actually maintains itself instead of being SHINY NEW CHARACTER OMG. And everybody doesnt forget about her like the last FE protagonist then she could be important enough for sakurai to think about adding if he can differentiate her enough which by then she would have enough material in games that he obviously could. Also Im not pinpointing this argument to just lucina but to ALL new "fresh out of the oven marketing" characters.

As of right now Lucina got in because she is new, marketing, has a vagina, and is an easy almost brain dead to design clone because why not.

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
If it meant a lot to Sakurai we wouldn't have gotten Ike last time.

Considering all the new characters from existing series seem to be from recent iterations, I'd say timing played the biggest factor here.

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
I just dont like mediocre character slots filling up the screen, Id rather sakurai spend more time with other characters.
That's a false equivalency. Character development general isn't an insert time here get result, insert double time and get double result. There is not really any evidence to support the notion that Lucina set back the development team back or that they would have given more attention to other characters if they would of left her out.

Last edited:

MagnesD3

Smash Master
If it meant a lot to Sakurai we wouldn't have gotten Ike last time.

Considering all the new characters from existing series seem to be from recent iterations, I'd say timing played the biggest factor here.
I think it will be very sad if important huge fanbases are ignored for the newbies this time, it would be very unfortunate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom