• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

CodeBlue_

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-2347-7011-5339
I wasn't responding to you. That post was towards shadowwolflink.

@ pupNapoleon pupNapoleon Chrom's removal was based on the fact that we already had two male swordman in the Fire Emblem franchise. Chrom has nothing unique to differentiate himself from the two (iirc Chrom actually has Aether in Awakening). Lucina had an extreme niche that got her precedence over him.

I still don't think Sceptile is on Sakurai's radar for notability and the Pokémon fanbase is a lot different from the Fire Emblem fanbase. Popularity wins when it comes to dealing with previous generations. I think Greninja was a lucky exception. If people like the character and they are bipedal, they are most likely getting in.

I also don't get why you would think Blaziken being a "fire kicker" would make him bland. Ok, he doesn't have the niches that Sceptiles has, but Blaziken would have a fighting type style. Lucario primarily used him palms and his foot at times to attack, along with using his aura to boost his range. Blaziken would stick to primary martial arts, using strong punches and kicks on the ground, each giving him a distinct ground effect.

Which leads me to here:

Hmm... a character who can JUMP and shoot fire from his hands....
Does nintendo have any of those....
Think... Think... Think.....
I understand you are talking about Mario, but hear me out.

Take this Pokédex entry from Ruby: "In battle, Blaziken blows out intense flames from its wrists and attacks the foe courageously. The stronger the foes, the more intensely this Pokémon's wrists burn." He doesn't shoot fire from his hands. That's not what I was saying. I mean that every physical attack that it uses with his fist can burn an opponent

Blaziken can literally BURN opponents when he jabs them. It can burn them when he goes for his long reaching kicks. Blaziken could have stronger knockback and range in his normals along with the almighty fire effect. Blaziken also has a flying type moves to work with...

Let's get to my main point that is why I'm doubting Sceptile over Blaziken. Outside of Sceptile vocal popularity on several site across the internet in the U.S., I really think Blaziken is simply more popular. Blaziken isn't in the Chrom boat with nothing unique to work with either. He's a flaming martial artist that's as tall as Samus (or Peach). He has a large potential to have significantly larger range than Falcon or Lucario due to his long legs and he can have a distinct fighting style that represents the Fighting type in the Pokémon series as a whole (let's face it, Lucario was centered around his Aura gimmick, not being a fighting type).

Sceptile may have something to make him more unique than Blaziken, but Blaziken has the potential to become a distinct character. And, although Blaziken will be another Fire type (it's tragic I know), he has the best chance of any Pokémon in the third generation and possibly the best chance for a Pokémon newcomer as a whole (Mewtwo is a veteran).

I find your Chrom analogy to be fallacious and still disagree with Sceptile being a better choice over the flaming chicken.

Edit: Excuse my reference to Blaziken as a male. I have no interest in revising it.

Masonomace

Yeah Shulk, get stuck in!
NNID
Masonomace
Herein lies another issue. Isn't the point of DLC to give the fans characters that are in demand? Why would they polish up the uncompleted ones, which are clearly not first priority if they aren't on the finalized roster, and offer up leftovers as DLC? I can see this making sense if they plan to crank out a lot of them post release, but I'm not sure that's going to be case.
It all comes down to me not knowing.:urg: I wanna say finishing up the almost-ready characters from characters we may not even know of yet. I think my edited post of my 2nd point kind of helps answer the sense making it dollars therefore making you rich Krystal, It shall help your chances of promotion in Sm4sh! Very confusing but it's for the better.:shades:
My bad Blueboo.

Edit: When did I say Snip? ?!?!!??!?!?O_o

Last edited:

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Except it's already been established that Blaziken has unique options and that its not a clear cut argument for "uniqueness vs. popularity." Sceptile may have more options, but that doesn't mean that it'll be the only deciding factor, Blaziken has its points that could win it favor with Sakurai, that's the point I'm trying to make. Ignoring those and playing up Sceptile doesn't make the latter more likely, it just means you're not giving Blaziken enough credit.
I think saying Blaziken would not fight similarly to Captain Falcon is where it is taking it to an extreme. Sure he could fight differently, but to Feel like Blaziken, it would have to feel similarly. Fast, flashy, and fire based. I don't care if he adds in jumps, or emits fire here or there, to me, that does not seem to be enough of a difference, and it reads as what Sakurai says as 'not enough of a difference.'
I do not know Fire Emblem well enough, but I'm sure that Chrom COULD have played differently if we looked at options. I hear he had plenty of other weapons he could have used. The issue is that, prominently, that is not what he is known for. If Sakurai wanted to make him unique, he could have. Yet as a whole, let's look below, shall we.

Let's not forget this:
That last part of Sakurai's statement is also a HUGE INDICATOR.
Not only did he possess characteristics unlike other fighters, but he also captured the essence of the Fire Emblem series. It was perfect!
You guys are still... overlooking this. Even if you state Blaziken has something he can offer as a unique fighter*, what does he have to offer the Pokemon series? What essence of Pokemon does he have?

*(which I do not disagree with, I just don't think it is a strong argument because any character could be unique, the point is Blaziken struggles to be seen as unique and still be true to his character)

Last edited:

CodeBlue_

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-2347-7011-5339
@ pupNapoleon pupNapoleon

First: This is the Fire Emblem series you are talking, not the Pokémon series. Most of the FE community have been requesting for more unique characters in the series. Pokémon fans just want their favorite characters. That's why they all picked Charizard over the other Pokémon Red had and that is why him, Squirtle and Ivysaur are most likely gone.

Second: Falcon is not fire based (only his specials and fsmash have the fire effect) and Blaziken would not make sense with Falcon's ground speed.

And finally: This "feeling like another character" thing can be applied to Greninja and Shiek as well as Palutena and Zelda. This mentality detracts from the true potential/gimmick of a character.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
I think saying Blaziken would not fight similarly to Captain Falcon is where it is taking it to an extreme. Sure he could fight differntly, but to Feel like Blaziken, it would have to feel similarly. Fast, flashy, and fire based. I don't care if he adds in jumps, or emits fire here or there, to me, that does not seem to be enough of a difference, and it reads as what Sakurai says as 'not enough of a difference.'
I do not know Fire Emblem well enough, but I'm sure that Chrom COULD have played differently if we looked at options. I hear he had plenty of other weapons he could have used. The issue is that, prominently, that is not what he is known for. If Sakurai wanted to make him unique, he could have. Yet as a whole, let's look below, shall we.
Yet, we have examples where the characters draw from a similar template, but manage to be unique on their own. There is enough of a difference between the two characters to separate them if desired, I'm not saying that will be the case, but there's more there then you're giving the character credit for.

That last part of Sakurai's statement is also a HUGE INDICATOR.
You guys are still ignoring this. Even if you state Blaziken has something he can offer as a unique fighter*, what does he have to offer the Pokemon series? What essence of Pokemon does he have?
*(which I do not disagree with, I just don't think it is a strong argument because any character could be unique, the point is Blaziken struggles to be seen as unique and still be true to his character)
Two things here, 1) Again, that is not a consistent thing, otherwise we wouldn't have examples like Falcondorf, who barely even represents himself. 2) You're forgetting that the Pokémon series and Smash has ignored that as well, where was Venusaur and Blastoise when Charizard was showing up in the Mega Special, the constant advertisements for the card games, and stealing the show in Origins? Also, where was Sceptile and Swampert when Blaziken was a major character in the XY anime and had an event dedicated to him?

You're placing a lot of emphasis on that statement, when in reality, it's been adhered to just as much as it has been ignored. There are examples that contradict that statement, there are examples where GF couldn't care less about "preserving" the trio, it's not nearly as black and white as you're trying to make it out to be. There's a lot to consider for both of these characters, and you're not giving a fair shake to one of them.

Last edited:

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
:Trolling: Mega Evolutions being a thing in Sm4sh, Agumon has as much right to DIgivolve in Sm4sh for Bandai's sake, you know, back in 1999 when Mega volving to Wargreymon was cool.:cool:

I'm a bit down I'm not replying anything about Sceptile, so how about discussing a Yoshi slot, F-Zero slot, Pikmin slot, Animal Crossing slot, Sonic slot, Megaman slot, basically ANY slot that lacks a number higher than 1.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
@ pupNapoleon pupNapoleon

First: This is the Fire Emblem series you are talking, not the Pokémon series. Most of the FE community have been requesting for more unique characters in the series. Pokémon fans just want their favorite characters. That's why they all picked Charizard over the other Pokémon Red had and that is why him, Squirtle and Ivysaur are most likely gone.
Sakurai is attempting to represent every franchise appropriately. I have no idea where you get the idea that the sole necessity of a character from Pokemon is that it is popular. If that were the case we would not even have Greninja, we would only have Gen one Pokemon. Just like any other Series, Pokemon has more to represent than Popularity. Just like any other series, Sakurai has expressed his desire to respect the universe each character comes from, and make it a game where the character feels like they are coming from their game, where universes collide.

Ultimately dude, if Chrom is just another 'Blue Haired Swordsman,' then Blaziken is just another 'Fast Fighting Fire Kicker,' and that is the way it is reduced. Either could utilize more, the point is that if one didn't would the other really? He could, absolutely. Anything could happen. But will it? Let's look at it from an objective bias.

Second: Falcon is not fire based (only his specials and fsmash have the fire effect) and Blaziken would not make sense with Falcon's ground speed.
I'm not seeing how this matters at all. I agreed there could easily be nuances between the two. Your arguments so far have literally been to incite the POKEDEX (a verified source of mythology in the Pokemon world, much less to translate that as fact), and to say Blaziken is different because he can reach farther.

And finally: This "feeling like another character" thing can be applied to Greninja and Shiek as well as Palutena and Zelda. This mentality detracts from the true potential/gimmick of a character.
Exactly- seems like Greninja was likely added for another reason.
Probably to complete the trinity in Pokemon which was already present when Sakurai had added the heavily acclaimed Sceptile.

In all honesty though, while they do both rely no the ninja gimmick, at least Greninja is of a different elemental, and body type. Blaziken has to fight dramatically to not be a Falcon clone. Could he not be a clone? Absolutely I've said it. But does this represent Pokemon as a whole? Hell no dude. It just doesnt. I understand you want to see him. I want to see Squirtle return, and I deal with the fact that it is incredibly unlikely.

Wanting does not make it likely.

~Krystal~

True American Heroine
:Trolling: Mega Evolutions being a thing in Sm4sh, Agumon has as much right to DIgivolve in Sm4sh for Bandai's sake, you know, back in 1999 when Mega volving to Wargreymon was cool.:cool:

I'm a bit down I'm not replying anything about Sceptile, so how about discussing a Yoshi slot, F-Zero slot, Pikmin slot, Animal Crossing slot, Sonic slot, Megaman slot, basically ANY slot that lacks a number higher than 1.
Or even Star Fox at its present state. Lmao. But seriously, an additional Sonic or Mega Man character is out of the realm of possibility to me. Not to say I wouldn't want one, because I can name you 7 Sonic characters I would love to see, but it's just not that feasible. The one franchise out of the listed that I think has room for another could be Yoshi. Maaaybe Pikmin, but Yoshi as the more pressing need if there ever were one. F-Zero needs to release a game before I'm willing to revisit the discussion on a 2nd character there. Black Shadow for the sake of having a villain doesn't entice me, especially if he's just there to receive Ganondorf's old moveset.

~Krystal~

True American Heroine
During the Brawl days, I wanted Ashley. It was crazy to think Wario would get anymore than 1 at the time. Now it's not so ludicrous. With Ashley as an AT, Mona would be my 2nd pick.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
I'd love any Warioware character. (except Ashley but y'kno)

But I'd rather Captain Syrup for a Wario Land nod. :<

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
Wario being the topic, nice.

Wario is practically confirmed~
A 2nd Warioware character for that 2nd slot is do-able, in fact likely~
I approve of either Mona or Captain Syrup~ They're both effervescent characters, but to my knowledge wouldn't know how they'd do & what can be done with their game-play. I'll need convincing of them, which might not be that hard seeing Ashley who used to only be a sticker get AT status! Not bad. That & her other appearance via sticker from SSE, AT is a good step-up. Mona was also a sticker in SSE & it has seemed like sticker-only characters suddenly are getting AT status or playable. I don't remember Captain Syrup appearing in Brawl but I forgot to mention Ashely's song is in the Warioware inc. stage. I admit Wario could use some more attention & love.

Last edited:

Xenorange

Smash Lord
I never thought i would read the words "hate" and Sonic" in a sentence coming from you unless "Don't" was in there too :awesome:.
I must admit, Sonic X was, and still is kind of a guilty pleasure for me, i enjoy it. though it might have to do with me being a Shadow fan
It's solely because of Chris Thorndike, he's the sole cause of my opinions towards the show.

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
It's solely because of Chris Thorndike, he's the sole cause of my opinions towards the show.
Was on the topic of discussing low-number franchises in Smash Bros. who lack a high number of slots.
Need a word from yourself sponsoring Sanic on your avatar & signature, please tell us.

Interview: Who would you say has the highest chances from Sonic's franchise of becoming a Sonic slot character & why?!
Also, how was that power of Nazo video I linked? Was Dark Super Sonic just the coolest?:awesome:

Last edited:

Xenorange

Smash Lord
Was on the topic of discussing low-number franchises in Smash Bros. who lack a high number of slots.
Need a word from yourself sponsoring Sanic on your avatar & signature, please tell us.

Interview: Who would you say has the highest chances from Sonic's franchise of becoming a Sonic slot character & why?!
Also, how was that power of Nazo video I linked? Was Dark Super Sonic just the coolest?:awesome:
If Sonic gets a second rep ever, it'll be tails. As much as I prefer Knux, Tails has the higher chance. Not to say that Sonic will be getting another rep anytime soon though. Tails is Sonic's sidekick and has had an extremely prominent role in the series ever since Sonic 2. Not to mention how he's gotten a much bigger role than other characters in all of Sonic's most recent games.

Nazo unleashed was cool man. It was like Sonic ball Z and that made my day. Dark Sonic's brief appearance made me appreciate the form more. Very cool fan made animation indeed.

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
If Sonic gets a second rep ever, it'll be tails. As much as I prefer Knux, Tails has the higher chance. Not to say that Sonic will be getting another rep anytime soon though. Tails is Sonic's sidekick and has had an extremely prominent role in the series ever since Sonic 2. Not to mention how he's gotten a much bigger role than other characters in all of Sonic's most recent games.

Nazo unleashed was cool man. It was like Sonic ball Z and that made my day. Dark Sonic's brief appearance made me appreciate the form more. Very cool fan made animation indeed.
Well said Xeno. Tails is getting more noted throughout Sonic game titles' story & plot.
Interview: Would you go as far as to say this makes Tails a more likely character for the next Super Smash Brothers over Knuckles who's more recognized as a better fighter?
And do you have any wishlist moves inspired by Sonic's game titles he could use that he doesn't have in Smash 4?

Last edited:

mark welford

Smash Ace
Well said Xeno. Tails is getting more noted throughout Sonic game titles' story & plot.
Interview: Would you go as far as to say this makes Tails a more likely character for the next Super Smash Brothers over Knuckles who's more recognized as a better fighter?
And do you have any wishlist moves inspired by Sonic's game titles he could use that he doesn't have in Smash 4?
knuckles would be the third representative if two more were added tails has and will always be closer to sonic than anyone else tails is closer to sonic than amy is

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
@ mark welford mark welford
Knuckles you say? There's no other Sonic character that could compete with that third slot chance per-say, Shadow or Silver?

As a cameo appearance in Sonic's Green Hill Zone from Brawl, Knuckles Tails & Silver did run through the loop in the BG, Shadow is also a two-time AT, would you agree he could get the same treatment Little Mac did?

I really want to have Falco and Ness back. We got Pacman, but we are still in the dark about some veterans lol
I'm more sure Falco returns, but I'm not so sure about Ness returning. O12 is apparently set-in-stone & is a fan-based opinion as far as confirmations of all O12 in each game. The issue is with all those sources saying Ness was going to be scrapped for Lucas in Melee & also for Brawl, yet both appeared & were playable. I'm worried for both Earthbound characters. Mother's franchise's status in Sm4sh doesn't look good atm.

Last edited:

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Ness is back, that's a guarantee, no reason to cut the entire franchise, especially not with the Franklin Badge and Mr. Saturn strutting around.

The only veterans I'm worried about are Snake, Squirtle, Ivysaur, Lucas, and if we're stretching things I guess I'm just slightly worried about Wolf and R.O.B too.

Last edited:

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
Ness is back, that's a guarantee, no reason to cut the entire franchise, especially not with the Franklin Badge and Mr. Saturn strutting around.

The only veterans I'm worried about are Snake, Squirtle, Ivysaur, Lucas, and if we're stretching things I guess I'm just slightly worried about Wolf and R.O.B too.
Definitely forgot to think about the items in Sm4sh having an effect / impact on the character roster. Thanks to you I'm relieved, hoping I'm wrong & you're right. I may just take that realization of the Mother items guaranteeing at least one of them, being Ness or Lucas & maybe not both, but I'd like to be wrong about that too. I don't have much hope for Squirtle, & not much more hope that Ivy would return either, but it's a better chance nonetheless. Snake Wolf & ROB worry me, but Ifeel confident with Sakurai's words of giving love to the retros & paying respects to ROB for his qualities, unique game-play, & his history. Snake & Wolf, is unknown & more nail-biting among the rest of the veterans.:scared:

Last edited:

~Krystal~

True American Heroine
@ mark welford mark welford
Knuckles you say? There's no other Sonic character that could compete with that third slot chance per-say, Shadow or Silver?

As a cameo appearance in Sonic's Green Hill Zone from Brawl, Knuckles Tails & Silver did run through the loop in the BG, Shadow is also a two-time AT, would you agree he could get the same treatment Little Mac did?

I'm more sure Falco returns, but I'm not so sure about Ness returning. O12 is apparently set-in-stone & is a fan-based opinion as far as confirmations of all O12 in each game. The issue is with all those sources saying Ness was going to be scrapped for Lucas in Melee & also for Brawl, yet both appeared & were playable. I'm worried for both Earthbound characters. Mother's franchise's status in Sm4sh doesn't look good atm.
Mother's strength and mainstream appeal has always been suspect at best, even when it was releasing games. It's a marvel Ness got in in the first place. Earthbound and Mother 3 were good, but by no means did they warrant the level of content they've had till now. Having got that off my chest, I think Ness is a lock for this game and future Smash games. Lucas should be the one sweating it out right now. Even with DLC, I'm not certain he's making it.

The fact that Fox is still on an island makes me wonder, but I think if any extra character from that franchise is to remain, it would be Falco. It's my opinion that he's fairly safe.

Last edited:

Xenorange

Smash Lord
Tails will always have the better shot. I greatly prefer Knuckles but as said before, Tails comes first. Even if Knuckles is acknowledged as the better fighter. Sega has made is abundantly clear, especially in recent titles who Sonic's #2 truly is.

As for Sonic's moves, he should really utilize his light speed attacks, they've always been a really cool, unique and interesting part of 3d Sonic games. It could work similarly to how it did in adventure where you use the spindash to charge it up. Once you've fully charged it Sonic will glow blue, just like he did in adventure. You will be able to store the power for later use just like other chargeable attacks, once you use the attack Sonic will home in on a nearby enemy in range and attack with a powerful move at an extremely high speed. He will be left in a vulnerable state afterwards of course. If no one is around to home in on he'll just dash forward at a high speed.

He should also utilize his bouncing move, Sonic Wind, Sonic Tornado, Time Stop, all of his Sonic Battle moves, his shields etc. I could go on and on for pages about the specifics of how his moveset should be, but I'll spare you guys the read for now. Sonic can do a lot more than just roll, and his moveset should show this.

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
Mother's strength and mainstream appeal has always been suspect at best, even when it was releasing games. It's a marvel Ness got in in the first place. Earthbound and Mother 3 were good, but by no means did they warrant the level of content they've had till now. Having got that off my chest, I think Ness is a lock for this game and future Smash games. Lucas should be the one sweating it out right now. Even with DLC, I'm not certain he's making it.

The fact that Fox is still on an island makes me wonder, but I think if any extra character from that franchise is to remain, it would be Falco. It's my opinion that he's fairly safe.
I'm confused more on why Ness is said being a lock in, considering the dangers of his past decisions in Smash Bros., & not being anything but a cameo in Mother 3 (I didn't play the games so please stop me if I'm wrong, I'd love to be wrong), I wonder too if Ness is really the lock but instead Lucas for being the main character in Mother 3's story / plot. I'm disliking this due to putting more cogitating on your chest.:scared:

On the bright side, I just imagined Falco's new FS being in his Arwing & piloting in it, having a mixture of game-play between Yoshi's FS & Diddy's FS from Brawl, doing barrel rolls with his Arwing while shooting. Fox needs to be rescued off that island already. . . by Krystal.

Tails will always have the better shot. I greatly prefer Knuckles but as said before, Tails comes first. Even if Knuckles is acknowledged as the better fighter. Sega has made is abundantly clear, especially in recent titles who Sonic's #2 truly is.

As for Sonic's moves, he should really utilize his light speed attacks, they've always been a really cool, unique and interesting part of 3d Sonic games. It could work similarly to how it did in adventure where you use the spindash to charge it up. Once you've fully charged it Sonic will glow blue, just like he did in adventure. You will be able to store the power for later use just like other chargeable attacks, once you use the attack Sonic will home in on a nearby enemy in range and attack with a powerful move at an extremely high speed. He will be left in a vulnerable state afterwards of course. If no one is around to home in on he'll just dash forward at a high speed.

He should also utilize his bouncing move, Sonic Wind, Sonic Tornado, Time Stop, all of his Sonic Battle moves, his shields etc. I could go on and on for pages about the specifics of how his moveset should be, but I'll spare you guys the read for now. Sonic can do a lot more than just roll, and his moveset should show this.
Wonderful Xeno, your input on the matter solidifies my confidence in Tails having a better chance > Knuckles by a margin. I knew who Sonic's #2 is, but reading other's inputs is reassuring / fun.

Hahahahaha @ going on and on for pages. Yeaup. . .It can go that far.:shades:

Here I was thinking of those SA2 unlockable upgrades as items such as the Light Shoes, Ancient Light aka Light Speed Attack via custom move-sets like you mentioned, Bounce Bracelet, Flame Ring & Magic Gloves, all as power up items for the Smash Run or whatever else game modes that are available for that aspect. They could all contribute some idea for custom moves or even moves we've yet to see.

Last edited:

Xenorange

Smash Lord
I'm confused more on why Ness is said being a lock in, considering the dangers of his past decisions in Smash Bros., & not being anything but a cameo in Mother 3 (I didn't play the games so please stop me if I'm wrong, I'd love to be wrong), I wonder too if Ness is really the lock but instead Lucas for being the main character in Mother 3's story / plot. I'm disliking this due to putting more cogitating on your chest.:scared:

On the bright side, I just imagined Falco's new FS being in his Arwing & piloting in it, having a mixture of game-play between Yoshi's FS & Diddy's FS from Brawl, doing barrel rolls with his Arwing while shooting. Fox needs to be rescued off that island already. . . by Krystal.

Wonderful Xeno, your input on the matter solidifies my confidence in Tails having a better chance > Knuckles by a margin. I knew who Sonic's #2 is, but reading other's inputs is reassuring / fun.

Hahahahaha @ going on and on for pages. Yeaup. . .It can go that far.:shades:

Here I was thinking of those SA2 unlockable upgrades as items such as the Light Shoes, Ancient Light aka Light Speed Attack via custom move-sets like you mentioned, Bounce Bracelet, Flame Ring & Magic Gloves, all as power up items for the Smash Run or whatever else game modes that are available for that aspect. They could all contribute some idea for custom moves or even moves we've yet to see.
I know it's a long shot but I'm kinda hoping that Sonic will get the Palutena treatment when it comes to customizable moves. There are just so many unused options. As for your Sa2 items idea ALL OF MY YES!

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
I know it's a long shot but I'm kinda hoping that Sonic will get the Palutena treatment when it comes to customizable moves. There are just so many unused options. As for your Sa2 items idea ALL OF MY YES!
That is a very long shot, can you make that shot from this distance?:urg:
Speaking of unused options, let's talk about the thin-ice topic of Sonic's likely character DLC ideas, like. . .Classic Sonic as a playable character? Clone-worthy yeah but it's another Sonic slot from the Sonic franchise that's mad popular for the controversy of people still hating Modern Sonic who we see all the time, & then compared to Classic Sonic from nostalgia gamers who would see him in Smash Bros. 4. Other than that, I want so many ideas of palette swaps / costumes DLC like his design look from each game like the spoin-off storybook games SatSR & SatBK. List just goes on & on. . .

Edit: That one palette swap of Sonic in the demo I tried out that look heavily familiar to Cosmic Sonic, looked sick & am hoping that stays!

Last edited:

Iggy K

Smash Ace
The only time we know Sakurai considered cutting Ness was back in Melee, I've never heard anything to suggest he thought about cutting him in Brawl. Ness is the most popular character and basically the face of the Mother series, is the main character of what is not only the most popular game in the series (and that is both inside and out of Japan), but the only one to get a worldwide release. There's also significance to Smash to consider as well. Say what you want about whether or not O12 is a valid reason, the fact that he (as well as Jigglypuff and Falcon) has been in every single game has allowed him to build up popularity and a legacy with the Smash fanbase. Lucas, on the other hand, is the main character of the latest game and... well that's pretty much it. A game that was released nearly a decade ago too, so it's not like he (or the series at all) is relevant anymore. I think they'll both be in it;s just... well there's a reason why everyone considers Ness more likely.

~Krystal~

True American Heroine
I'm confused more on why Ness is said being a lock in, considering the dangers of his past decisions in Smash Bros., & not being anything but a cameo in Mother 3 (I didn't play the games so please stop me if I'm wrong, I'd love to be wrong), I wonder too if Ness is really the lock but instead Lucas for being the main character in Mother 3's story / plot.
He's been around around since Smash 64, which means the Smash community at large is familiarized with this character by now. His game was also well received here in the states and in Japan, which means he's got crossover appeal, no matter how relatively unpopular his game is. Earthbound also had a re-release on the Wii U, further exposing the sophisticated (lol) North American audience to the game. This is an important edge that helps keep this character visible. There's also the matter of his moveset; it may be flawed, but it's still an original worth keeping. Tons of people love to play as a psychic kid that goes around hitting people with baseball bats.

Unrelated, the fact Mother 3 limped to a sad commercial finish goes to show that having a protagonist in Smash won't mean the franchise benefits by leaps and bounds. Captain Falcon's lack of success kind of puts an exclamation mark on this reality, and he's a character that's loved by millions of Smash fans.

I'm disliking this due to putting more cogitating on your chest.:scared:
It's not a problem. This is what forums are for. To flame each other for different opinions discuss and unravel the mysteries as a community. :smirk:
I discussed that idea earlier last week and I too believe Falco in an Arwing is the way to go. He prefers the air. One other thing, your Fox x Krystal ship is an original idea and what better way for this pairing to happen than in a Smash Bros game? I approve. ;)

Note: I gotta stop staying up for these ****ty PotDs. NO MORE. I'm not doing this until a trailer's announced. If something big happens and the question of "where were you when x character got revealed?" comes up, I'll say "in bed."

Last edited:

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
You have to consider that Ness's position has surely changed now that his game (Earthbound/Mother 2) has now been released worldwide. He's going to be more recognisable than Lucas.

You could also argue that Ness's position is all the more stronger for having held on to it despite uncertainties.

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
Thanks for your inputs,
@ ~Krystal~ ~Krystal~
@ I Iggy K
@ Sabrewulf238 Sabrewulf238
Even more re-assurance Ness is more likely to me than Lucas. I used to think Ness will always be a shoe-in because of his long history in Smash Brothers, he's here to fight for me and you, he's gonna catch 'em all cus he's Danny Phantom.

Not as iconic as Falcon, but regaining confidence in his return more. I became pessimistic of Ness or Lucas or both because of my ignorance of the franchise, not to mention the possibility some veterans will get cut from the roster. So I didn't want to be barely arrogant thinking Ness & Lucas are shoe-ins.

Last edited:

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
So what characters do you guyd think are most likely for DLC if it happens?
Dunno.

@ pupNapoleon pupNapoleon Chrom's removal was based on the fact that we already had two male swordman in the Fire Emblem franchise. Chrom has nothing unique to differentiate himself from the two (iirc Chrom actually has Aether in Awakening). Lucina had an extreme niche that got her precedence over him.
Correction-Chrom didn't get rejected for being another male sword-user. He got rejected as a non-clone contender for being a plain sword-user with no unique characteristics. Had Lucina been judged as a non-clone contender as opposed to starting out as an alt that, in Sakurai's words, only got "lucky to join the fray", she'd be dismissed too.

I think you guys are missing the point. What I believe Mr. Blazer is trying to convey is that we should've just got another blue-haired sword-wielder in the vein of the ones we already had who could just play it safe and not break any barriers. Too bad we didn't have any notable candidates that fit that role.

:troll:

Charkoaler

Smash Rookie
NNID
charkoaler
3DS FC
3969-5051-8391
Kumatora for sm4sh, how can you go wrong with another rep for Earthbound? If there is the cutting of either Ness/Lucas, (both of which i really enjoy so i'd like them both to stay pelase and thank) I would like to see her take their place

ElPanandero

Smash Lord
NNID
ElPanandero
Forgive me for asking, but is it even necessary that Mach Rider is on his bike at all times? Why can't he whip out a motorcycle that weighs hundreds of pounds at his own convenience like Wario?
I like the idea of it materializing ala a reverse of the blown to bits animation (which should also be his up-B)

Yoshi Slot- Not sure who's even a candidate, I guess the baby bros as a wolfed IC's clone?
F-Zero slot-Don't care at all, isn't there a big evil lizard guy? Smash need smore of those, my vote goes to that guy
Pikmin- That little dude from the new one could be fun, I'd love to see a new take on a pikmin moveset
Animal Crossing Slot- idk Tom nook? Maybe? KK Slider and amusic based moveset? Mayor Tortimer (Is that a character? The old turtle dude) I like the old turtle dude
Sonic- If it had to happen, Tails
Megaman- I was X, Bass, protoman, Zero, wily, Gutsman (as a DK clone), EXE would all be awesome though

Last edited:

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
I like the idea of it materializing ala a reverse of the blown to bits animation (which should also be his up-B)

Yoshi Slot- Not sure who's even a candidate, I guess the baby bros as a wolfed IC's clone?
F-Zero slot-Don't care at all, isn't there a big evil lizard guy? Smash need smore of those, my vote goes to that guy
Pikmin- That little dude from the new one could be fun, I'd love to see a new take on a pikmin moveset
Animal Crossing Slot- idk Tom nook? Maybe? KK Slider and amusic based moveset? Mayor Tortimer (Is that a character? The old turtle dude) I like the old turtle dude
Sonic- If it had to happen, Tails
Megaman- I was X, Bass, protoman, Zero, wily, Gutsman (as a DK clone), EXE would all be awesome though
To my knowledge, Yarn Yoshi, Kamek, Yoshi & babies, etc. etc.
F-Zero has Blood Falcon, Black Shadow, & the big evil lizard guy you're referring to is him.
Pikmin I have no discussion merits to his franchise as a topic I threw it out there for Pikmin fans
Your Animal Crossing recommendations are rad
For Sonic yeah pretty much
Your Megaman character recommendations are also rad, including Bass.

To elaborate on all of the franchises who has 0 - 1 playable character as a slot from their franchise / emblem ATM in Sm4sh are:
Yoshi series = :4yoshi:
Wario series = none
Wii Fit series = :4wiifit:
Star Fox series = :4fox:
Sonic the Hedgehog series = :4sonic:
R.O.B series = none
Punch Out!! series = :4littlemac:
Pilotwings series = none / only through a stage called Pilot Wings.
Pikmin series = :4olimar:
Pac-man series = :4pacman:
Nintendogs series = none / represented through a stage called Living Room, & through an Assist Trophy.
Meta Gear series = none
Mega Man series = :4megaman:
Ice Climber series = :popo:
F-Zero series = :4falcon:
Electroplankton series = none / was a past stage stage called Hanebow in Brawl.
Earthbound = none
Balloon Fight series = none / was a melee trophy, brawl SSE stocker & music from Summit, now represented by a stage called Balloon Fight for 3DS.
Animal Crossing series = :4villager:
So yeah.

Last edited:

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
I think Yarn Yoshi could happen as DLC somewhere down the line.
I like what you're thinking.

I just wanna stress the notion of wanting more Yoshi & F-Zero. They started out since the beginning that is 64. And they've continued on in every SSB game, being 2 of the most notorious bros still standing alone originating their emblem's pride. Yoshi series & F-Zero series in terms of more characters to fill in their roomy franchise, imo need another fighter to wear their emblems proud. That said, for me it's either Yarn Yoshi or Kamek. . .and practically anyone from F-Zero, but speciffically I want Phoenix, Blood Falcon, or Black Shadow.

Last edited:

CatRaccoonBL

You can do it!
NNID
RaccoonBL
3DS FC
2294-4606-0767
Putting my thoughts for DLC down, I think the best course for DLC is to have characters that would be popular enough to buy a lot of but not popular enough to make people feel like they were cheated out of it.

After all, if Mewtwo, Ridley, and K. Rool were DLC, a lot of people would be mad.

Characters such as Captain Toad, Bandana Dee, Sceptile, and Cranky Kong come to mind. They are loved but not too heavily requested. And people who don't like them don't have to worry about them.*

*In the casual sense at least

Cut characters are also good DLC. They might even be able to throw in a few melee clones. Maybe.

Speaking of clones, they could work to I suppose. The problem is that the whole point of clones is to beef up the roster before release. While they could use popular characters for clones, seems a little bit too cheap.

Niala

Smash Ace
For starters, welcome to the boards, @ Charkoaler Charkoaler !!~

To my knowledge, Yarn Yoshi, Kamek, Yoshi & babies, etc. etc.
F-Zero has Blood Falcon, Black Shadow, & the big evil lizard guy you're referring to is him.
Pikmin I have no discussion merits to his franchise as a topic I threw it out there for Pikmin fans
Your Animal Crossing recommendations are rad
For Sonic yeah pretty much
Your Megaman character recommendations are also rad, including Bass.

To elaborate on all of the franchises who has 0 - 1 playable character as a slot from their franchise / emblem ATM in Sm4sh are:
Yoshi series = :4yoshi:
Wario series = none
Wii Fit series = :4wiifit:
Star Fox series = :4fox:
Sonic the Hedgehog series = :4sonic:
R.O.B series = none
Punch Out!! series = :4littlemac:
Pilotwings series = none / only through a stage called Pilot Wings.
Pikmin series = :4olimar:
Pac-man series = :4pacman:
Nintendogs series = none / represented through a stage called Living Room, & through an Assist Trophy.
Meta Gear series = none
Mega Man series = :4megaman:
Ice Climber series = :popo:
F-Zero series = :4falcon:
Electroplankton series = none / was a past stage stage called Hanebow in Brawl.
Earthbound = none
Balloon Fight series = none / was a melee trophy, brawl SSE stocker & music from Summit, now represented by a stage called Balloon Fight for 3DS.
Animal Crossing series = :4villager:
So yeah.
I'm going to limit my answers here to series in which there exists 1 character, past or present. Stages don't really require a representative character, imo.

So, Yoshi: Shy Guy. Little guy has a lot of potential and is a neat staple from Nintendo. Shy Guys Toy Box from Paper Mario has about 10 different kinds of Shy Guys to take inspiration from for a moveset, and I think it could be a rad moveset.
Wario: Ashley. She's a witch. She'll turn you into a spoon. idk she seems fun.
Wii Fit: Uh... is there... anything else?
Sanic: I guess the series has a million characters to choose from... Tails, Knuckles, Eggman, Rouge, Shadow, Silver, Cream, Amy Rose, Big le Cat, etc. etc.... I don't think we really need a second character yet, but if forced to pick... Knuckles?
R.O.B.: same as WFT
Punch Out!!: Little Mac is enough for me. I wouldn't specifically want anybody else, tbh.
Pikmin: Idk how you could incorporate anybody else, but an Alph clone would be fine, I suppose.
Pac-Man: Ghosts? idk man I've never played anything except the original Pac-Man so there are probably a bunch of characters I don't even know.
MGS: Snake's fine by himself.
Mega Man: Zero would be my pick, just because he's a baller, and very different from Mega Man right off the design table.
Ice Climbers: R.O.B.
F-Zero: I know a lot of people want Black Shadow, but I really couldn't care less if F-Zero gets another rep.
Animal Crossing: I'm fine with just Villager this time around. We don't really need a second AC character yet. I don't even know what I would pick, though, never gave it much thought.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom