• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Weeman

Smash Crusader
I really hate Sonic X.
I never thought i would read the words "hate" and Sonic" in a sentence coming from you unless "Don't" was in there too :awesome:.
I must admit, Sonic X was, and still is kind of a guilty pleasure for me, i enjoy it. though it might have to do with me being a Shadow fan

Last edited:

~Krystal~

True American Heroine
So what characters do you guyd think are most likely for DLC if it happens?
This is really counting the eggs before they hatch, but I'd assume Mewtwo would be DLC if for some reason he failed to make the initial roster. After that, Sceptile, Isaac and Paper Mario depending on their statuses. Captain Toad's got an outside shot also.

Ranking:
1. Mewtwo
2. Sceptile
3. Paper Mario
4. Isaac
5. Captain Toad

Again, it's hard to make any sort of DLC prediction without seeing the complete roster first. This list isn't worth the pixels it's taking up on the screen.

XLIFE

Smash Journeyman
NNID
fevariblaze
So I had an idea for Paper Mario where he has different partners following him, changing them with your Down Special will change your standard special move. They wouldn't actually attack opponents of have hitboxes, so they would easy to implement by themselves.
That's brilliant! I could definitely see something like that working if he was included.
Maybe have 5 partners for him to use:
Kooper as the default attacker
Lady Bow could give him a quick invisibility factor (They'd work their way around it to make it balanced)
Vivian as a counter move
Admiral Bobbery as a trap that takes time to set up, but has good pay off (Think Villager's Tree)
Aside from that the hand from SPM could be grab, Parakarry as recovery and his hammer could be the side B.

The only problem with all this is custom moves. It's hard to get around that.

Last edited:

TheNerdyOne_

Smash Ace
So what characters do you guyd think are most likely for DLC if it happens?
Inkling, Captain Toad, and Sceptile if he doesn't make it in originally. Basically just characters from new games that started development after the roster was decided.

Bandanna Dee is also a possibility with Rainbow Curse, and maybe even a character from the new LoZ. I think DLC might end up being a way to keep the game relevant into the future, so we could potentially see characters from games that have yet to be announced too.

Last edited:

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I think Inkling and Captain Toad are the most likely DLC candidates we could think, considering how heavily they seem to be being pushed by Nintendo, the upcoming release, and the tie ins they may want them to have to smash (either mentioning Amiibo's for CT, or ... just being a first person shooting female in the case of the Inkling).

Otherwise? I can just pretty much say I expect absolutely no Fire Emblem DLC, and definitely a Pokemon character DLC.

Last edited:

Shadowwolflink

Smash Master
Warning Received
So gais, someone just leaked the Brawl roster to me...
[collapse="Warning, it is Spoiler Heavy!"][collapse="Warning, it FULL OF SPOILERS!"][collapse="Spoilers Lay Ahead!"][collapse="Spoilers Incoming!"][collapse="This is a Spoiler!"][collapse="Beware of Spoilers!!"][collapse="Spoilers Are Near!"][collapse="(not really)"][collapse="It's a (Spoiler-Filled) Trap!"][collapse="Always Report Spoilers!"][collapse="These Spoilers are Heavy Man!"][collapse="I Always Use Just One Exclamation Point!"][collapse="People on /v/ know nothing about Smash!"][collapse="This Leak is GameFAQs-proof!"][collapse="Warning: Spoilers!"][collapse="Spoilers Beware!!"]
[/collapse][/collapse][/collapse][/collapse][/collapse][/collapse][/collapse][/collapse][/collapse][/collapse][/collapse][/collapse][/collapse][/collapse][/collapse][/collapse]
I'm sorry, but this is just a really ****ty post.

Masonomace

Yeah Shulk, get stuck in!
NNID
Masonomace
It just hit me. With also inspiration from noticing the Funny thead.

Scizor & Paper Mario need to be in Sm4sh.:teeth:

Finishing my point on DLC is that it's early wishful thinking atm. Glad i posted something about it but I'm ready to move on to a new discussion.

Last edited:

CodeBlue_

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-2347-7011-5339
I'm not so sure why Sceptile would be considered for DLC. If GameFreak were thinking of representing a Gen III Pokémon to give to Sakurai for DLC, wouldn't it be Blaziken?

If it has enough merits to get his pre-evolution as the only Gen III Starter as a Pokéball Pokemon in Brawl and then to get itself in X and Y not only as a Gift Item but with a Mega Stone, one of the most showcased items in X and Y, shouldn't it be the number one choice for a Gen III representative?

Last edited:

Shadowwolflink

Smash Master
I'm not so sure why Sceptile would be considered for DLC. If GameFreak were thinking of representing a Gen III Pokémon to give to Sakurai for DLC, wouldn't it be Blaziken?

If it has enough merits to get his pre-evolution as the only Gen III Starter as a Pokéball Pokemon in Brawl and then to get itself in X and Y not only as a Gift Item but with a Mega Stone, one of the most showcased items in X and Y, shouldn't it be the number one choice for a Gen III representative?
Blaziken is boring and it has a bad Digimon-esque design, we also don't need TWO fire type starter Pokemon.

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace

Didn't eggspect Pokemon to be the next topic:4yoshi:, but here goes:

Your brief points about Blaziken promoting into Sm4sh via DLC are fair & solid. Torchic was a pokeball summon in Brawl, & with other appearances as a trophy, & a sticker? Not sure about the sticker being a statement but the same thing for Blaziken's chance to be playable DLC can contrast with Charizard Ivysaur & Squirtle. Despite them being a FRLG representation & a gimmick to themselves entirely, that's where the idea originated. Charizard & Blastoise were pokeball summons for 64, Venusaur in the mix starting out as a stage element in 64 & all 3 are pokeballs in Melee, then leading to the pattern of Gen 1 starters being in every Smash Bros. game to date until now. It's a good variable to consider for Smash playable status in favor of Blaziken since we have yet to see any Gen 3 starters as pokeballs in Sm4sh.

What you won't hear the end of is the heavy Captain Falcon clone debate, & being closely compared to being a mere mixture of Lucario & Charizard in one fighter. DLC can make exceptions though. I'm still rolling with Sceptile as playable in the game's roster or via DLC for my reasons.

Edit: On an elemental debate, Darkness & Grass type attacks could use more promotion. Blaziken is plausible, for wrong reasons no one wants him / her for. It's undeniable that there's too much Flame-based attacks noted in Smash Brothers & it's gotten bigger with each Smash installment. Freezing & Electric could use more based attack promotion in the games too. A fire-bending Fire-using chicken going around beating the crap out of fighters logically makes sense. But we've seen this a lot from other different characters, from different franchise Universes. Sceptile inspired by Ivysaur is much more needed to fill out the equilibrium of Smash Bros.' elemental-based type moves. And I'm not talking about TypeTrioTrifecta.

Last edited:

CodeBlue_

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-2347-7011-5339

Your brief points about Blaziken promoting into Sm4sh via DLC are fair & solid. Torchic was a pokeball summon in Brawl, & with other appearances as a trophy, & a sticker? Not sure about the sticker being a statement but the same thing for Blaziken's chance to be playable DLC can contrast with Charizard Ivysaur & Squirtle. Despite them being a FRLG representation & a gimmick to themselves entirely, that's where the idea originated. Charizard & Blastoise were pokeball summons for 64, Venusaur in the mix starting out as a stage element in 64 & all 3 are pokeballs in Melee, then leading to the pattern of Gen 1 starters being in every Smash Bros. game to date until now. It's a good variable to consider for Smash playable status in favor of Blaziken since we have yet to see any Gen 3 starters as pokeballs in Sm4sh.

What you won't hear the end of is the heavy Captain Falcon clone debate, & being closely compared to being a mere mixture of Lucario & Charizard in one fighter. DLC can make exceptions though. I'm still rolling with Sceptile as playable in the game's roster or via DLC for my reasons.
I've heard of that "Captain Falcon clone" debate. I just don't think Sceptile is likely or that the detractions against Blaziken make Blaziken an unlikely DLC character.

Blaziken is boring and it has a bad Digimon-esque design, we also don't need TWO fire type starter Pokemon.
I think that your statement translates to "I don't want a character, and I don't want two popular fire types (the most popular type in the game) because they share the same type". Please leave your bias out of this discussion. Also, how is a flaming chicken that can jump over a 300 foot building similar to a Digimon? (Please note I don't like Blaziken's design that much either)

Last edited:

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
I've heard of that "Captain Falcon clone" debate. I just don't think Sceptile is likely or that the detractions against Blaziken make Blaziken an unlikely DLC character.

That is not a good argument at all. Please leave your bias out of this discussion. Also, how is a flaming chicken that can jump over a 300 foot building similar to a Digimon? (Please note I don't like Blaziken's design that much either)
I approve of Blaziken DLC, but the idea of approving of him in the finalized character roster, is impossible (for me). If I had to decide between Sceptile & Blaziken competing for that said certain DLC spot, ludicrous I know, hypothetically speaking, I'd say in favor of Sceptile getting more justice to be the victor.

Also. Garudamon & Agunimon are sorta similar to Blaziken. I laughed reading @ Shadowwolflink Shadowwolflink 's post. Lmfao it's kind of true XD.

Last edited:

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311

I now bring everyone to the next chapter of my ever growing essay on Sceptile's prominence in Smash:

GRASS RAPTOR v FIRE CHICKEN

The reason the Captain Falcon clone debate will not end is simple;
Yes, any character can be unique, no question, hands down, not worth discussion, who are you to call me fat?

Yet, we have heard Sakurai discuss popularity versus actual character mechanics.

"What? Not Chrom!?” I suspect a lot of you will ask. Of course, Chrom is quite popular...
At the end of the day, Chrom would just end up being another plain-old sword-wielder like Marth and Ike. Compared with other characters, he lacks any unique characteristics.
Conversely, when the idea of including Robin came to mind, conceiving the character was so easy that I immediately saw how it would work. From standards to specials, grabs to throws, all aspects of his moveset just fell into place. Not only did he possess characteristics unlike other fighters, but he also captured the essence of the Fire Emblem series. It was perfect!
So from this, we can gather:
At the end of the day, Chrom would just end up being another plain-old sword-wielder like Marth and Ike. Compared with other characters, he lacks any unique characteristics.
You can argue they are different all you want; we can look at this as 'fire kicker' instead of sword wielder, and down to their build, it is just very similar. It could be done, but what is the point?
Conversely, when the idea of including Robin came to mind, conceiving the character was so easy that I immediately saw how it would work. From standards to specials, grabs to throws, all aspects of his moveset just fell into place.
This tells us 'If another viable option brings more characteristics to mind that are more prominent, then I will look at that choice.' It is impossible to think Sakurai would not look at Sceptile. Let me not begin here...
Sceptile possesses to many ideas as to how he could be unique. Wall Clinging, Healing abilities, grappling, plant traps- there is a huge range of screaming potential. If compared next to each other, Sceptile screams potential and Blaziken screams "Can you do anything with me, Sakurai... please?"
Not only did he possess characteristics unlike other fighters, but he also captured the essence of the Fire Emblem series. It was perfect!
Here we get to the point of it all; Sceptile does more for Pokemon than just adding another character. He adds the trinity, the marketing, the point of battling in the Pokemon games, and introduces that concept into smash bros. Adding Sceptile adds a conceptual level of Pokemon to Smash Bros, beyond just adding a character. It CAPTURES THE ESSENCE OF POKEMON, and it is perfect.

Last edited:

CodeBlue_

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-2347-7011-5339
Guys don't forget that Blaziken has access to Hi Jump Kick, Sky Uppercut, Brave Bird, Fire Punch, Blaze Kick, Focus Blast, Brick Break, Low Kick and Counter. None of these moves are used by either Charizard or Lucario.

Shadowwolflink

Smash Master

I think that your statement translates to "I don't want a character, and I don't want two popular fire types (the most popular type in the game) because they share the same type". Please leave your bias out of this discussion. Also, how is a flaming chicken that can jump over a 300 foot building similar to a Digimon? (Please note I don't like Blaziken's design that much either)
If you can't see how Blaziken looks like a Digimon then I'm sorry for your vision problems. My point about its type still stands though, we'll get a grass starter before we get a second fire starter. Blaziken would basically be Lucario with fire effects and specials closer to Captain Falcon's anyway, that's not what Smash needs, it needs more diverse characters.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
I approve of Blaziken DLC, but the idea of approving of him in the finalized character roster, is impossible (for me). If I had to decide between Sceptile & Blaziken competing for that said certain DLC spot, ludicrous I know, hypothetically speaking, I'd say in favor of Sceptile getting more justice to be the victor.

Also. Garudamon & Agunimon are sorta similar to Blaziken. I laughed reading @ Shadowwolflink Shadowwolflink 's post. Lmfao it's kind of true I see the resemblances XD.
The only similarities between Agunimon and Blaziken is a fire motif and red color. The former's a demon humanoid while the latter's a bird man. Garudamon is admittedly closer in similarity due to being a bird man as well, but both still have many differences between the two that separates them.

Regardless, the whole "This Pokémon looks like a Digimon" complaint is crappy in general. Even ignoring the fact that Digimon=/=ugly, both have different design directions in their franchises, and it's easily seen in those monsters that share a concept (ex. take a look at Plesiomon vs. Lapras). It's a really bad excuse that really shouldn't be used as a complaint, and it's irritating that it keeps popping up pointlessly.

If you can't see how Blaziken looks like a Digimon then I'm sorry for your vision problems. My point about its type still stands though, we'll get a grass starter before we get a second fire starter. Blaziken would basically be Lucario with fire effects and specials closer to Captain Falcon's anyway, that's not what Smash needs, it needs more diverse characters.
I'm a fan of both and I barely see the similarities between the two, what does that make me?

Also, please tell me where it's written that we can't have overlapping types. We've had it before, and nothing Sakurai's has said has shown that he won't do it again. It's a poor assumption not justified by any facts or information given out.

Last edited:

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
@ Arcanir Arcanir
Is it you who I remember saying I did not address in regard to Blaziken?
I wrote my post above with you in mind, and was just going through the page the other day looking for the user with an 'A' name I did not fully address.

Shadowwolflink

Smash Master
The only similarities between Agunimon and Blaziken is a fire motif and red color. The former's a demon humanoid while the latters a bird man. Garudamon is admittedly closer in similarity due to being a bird man as well, but both still have many differences between the two that separates them.

Regardless, the whole "This Pokémon looks like a Digimon" complaint is crappy in general. Even ignoring the fact that Digimon=/=ugly, both have different design directions in their franchises, and it's easily seen in those monsters that share a concept (ex. take a look at Plesiomon vs. Lapras). It's a really bad excuse that really shouldn't be used as a complaint, and it's irritating that it keeps popping up pointlessly.

I'm a fan of both and I barely see the similarities between the two, what does that make me?

Also, please tell me where it's written that we can't have overlapping types. We've had it before, and nothing Sakurai's has said has pointed in that direction. It's a poor assumption not justified by any facts or information given out.
Don't get me wrong, I love Digimon. I still watch the movie once a year to this day. Blaziken is just not interesting in any way, there a so many better choices and Sceptile the best choice if you're looking for a third gen starter rep.

CodeBlue_

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-2347-7011-5339
No need to flame me for not thinking the same way you do. I have 20/20 vision, thank you very much.
Also I suggest you look at this:
Guys don't forget that Blaziken has access to Hi Jump Kick, Sky Uppercut, Brave Bird, Fire Punch, Blaze Kick, Focus Blast, Brick Break, Low Kick and Counter. None of these moves are used by either Charizard or Lucario.
How would Blaziken be a Lucario clone with this potential? Is Lucario defined by its fighting type to the point where Blaziken would even resemble him? Actually, how would he be a Falcon clone? Does Falcon burn people with his normals? Does Blaziken Falcon Punch or have any move similar to it? Does Blaziken conduct electricity from his Knee? Would Blaziken, a character from a game with a vast movepool in both of Blaziken's types (Fire and Fighting), be degraded to the level of a clone of a character from a franchise that hasn't had a decent game since F-Zerp GX?

I think you just want Sceptile in to complete the starter trio for diversities sake. I see a lot of speculation that wants every character to have a level of uniqueness and cannot stand any character added that doesn't fit their forced expectations; this is a HUGE problem on Smashboards. Sakurai puts in some decent level of effort for playable Pokémon (sans Pichu, but it is long gone now), and I'm sure he would be willing to put effort into a Pokémon that emits fire from its WRISTS and can jump 30 STORIES. Those gimmicks in themselves are enough to run with.

mark welford

Smash Ace
Inkling, Captain Toad, and Sceptile if he doesn't make it in originally. Basically just characters from new games that started development after the roster was decided.

Bandanna Dee is also a possibility with Rainbow Curse, and maybe even a character from the new LoZ. I think DLC might end up being a way to keep the game relevant into the future, so we could potentially see characters from games that have yet to be announced too.
I think it is a little bit too early to be considering inkling for smash don't get me wrong splatoon looks like a interesting game and I hope for it to be a successful franchise but development for splatoon didn't start until they were in the middle of development for smash so that's why I think they want to wait and see how splatoon does before even considering inklings for smash (5 of course) sometimes popularity and relevancy plays a important role I'm sure in decisions sometimes it doesn't but we will never know with the man we have at the wheel of the bus of smash

Last edited:

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
No need to flame me for not thinking the same way you do. I have 20/20 vision, thank you very much.
Also I suggest you look at this:

How would Blaziken be a Lucario clone with this potential? Is Lucario defined by its fighting type to the point where Blaziken would even resemble him? Actually, how would he be a Falcon clone? Does Falcon burn people with his normals? Does Blaziken Falcon Punch or have any move similar to it? Does Blaziken conduct electricity from his Knee? Would Blaziken, a character from a game with a vast movepool in both of Blaziken's types (Fire and Fighting), be degraded to the level of a clone of a character from a franchise that hasn't had a decent game since F-Zerp GX?
GRASS RAPTOR v FIRE CHICKEN

The reason the Captain Falcon clone debate will not end is simple;
Yes, any character can be unique, no question, hands down, not worth discussion, who are you to call me fat?

Yet, we have heard Sakurai discuss popularity versus actual character mechanics.

"What? Not Chrom!?” I suspect a lot of you will ask. Of course, Chrom is quite popular...
Conversely, when the idea of including Robin came to mind, conceiving the character was so easy that I immediately saw how it would work. From standards to specials, grabs to throws, all aspects of his moveset just fell into place. Not only did he possess characteristics unlike other fighters, but he also captured the essence of the Fire Emblem series. It was perfect!
So from this, we can gather:
You can argue they are different all you want; we can look at this as 'fire kicker' instead of sword wielder, and down to their build, it is just very similar. It could be done, but what is the point?
Conversely, when the idea of including Robin came to mind, conceiving the character was so easy that I immediately saw how it would work. From standards to specials, grabs to throws, all aspects of his moveset just fell into place.
This tells us 'If another viable option brings more characteristics to mind that are more prominent, then I will look at that choice.' It is impossible to think Sakurai would not look at Sceptile. Let me not begin here...
Sceptile possesses to many ideas as to how he could be unique. Wall Clinging, Healing abilities, grappling, plant traps- there is a huge range of screaming potential. If compared next to each other, Sceptile screams potential and Blaziken screams "Can you do anything with me, Sakurai... please?"
Not only did he possess characteristics unlike other fighters, but he also captured the essence of the Fire Emblem series. It was perfect!
Here we get to the point of it all; Sceptile does more for Pokemon than just adding another character. He adds the trinity, the marketing, the point of battling in the Pokemon games, and introduces that concept into smash bros. Adding Sceptile adds a conceptual level of Pokemon to Smash Bros, beyond just adding a character. It CAPTURES THE ESSENCE OF POKEMON, and it is perfect.

TROLL FUN:
I'm sure he would be willing to put effort into a Pokémon that emits fire from its WRISTS and can jump 30 STORIES. Those gimmicks in themselves are enough to run with.
Hmm... a character who can JUMP and shoot fire from his hands....
Does nintendo have any of those....
Think... Think... Think.....

Last edited:

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
Don't get me wrong, I love Digimon. I still watch the movie once a year to this day. Blaziken is just not interesting in any way, there a so many better choices and Sceptile the best choice if you're looking for a third gen starter rep.
I understand if you don't like Blaziken and prefer Sceptile, I'm not debating that, I just don't agree with that excuse.

@ Arcanir Arcanir
Is it you who I remember saying I did not address in regard to Blaziken?
I wrote my post above with you in mind, and was just going through the page the other day looking for the user with an 'A' name I did not fully address.
If it was, that didn't answer my question that I gave you. My question was why would the advertisements that Blaziken has been in not be attributed to it just because it was present in XY.

As for your points, as mentioned above, there are options to separate the two, even more so then Chrom vs. Ike/Marth. Similarly, while being unique can work in a character's favor, sometimes it doesn't. For instance, Krystal has more to give then Wolf in terms of uniqueness, but we got the latter over the former back in Brawl, whether it'd be because he was more popular then her in Japan, Sakurai's preference, or otherwise. Either way, in that case, uniqueness didn't win out. It's not a black and white case with popularity vs. uniqueness, there's a large amount of gray there, and theoretically, there is enough reason to believe that potentially Blaziken could be chosen over Sceptile, more unique or not.

Last edited:

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
The counter-argument here is Sakurai doesn't do Pokemon's relevancy with the hand-held games to be fully accurate on specific moves. Sakurai would take the moves that only really matter to Blaziken like Blaze Kick & other Flame-based moves & implement them into Sm4sh. Yet Charizard using Rock Smash as a side specials move is something he couldn't of learned in the games before until later game installments. Any move in Smash Brothers that involves an arm, leg, or counter special, is not unique all on it's own to say Lucario & charizard can't use those very same attacks / moves. The way it's game-play is done, the animations, the knock-back, & the frame data / hit-bubbles of the moves will be what makes or breaks Blaziken.

The only similarities between Agunimon and Blaziken is a fire motif and red color. The former's a demon humanoid while the latters a bird man. Garudamon is admittedly closer in similarity due to being a bird man as well, but both still have many differences between the two that separates them.

Yesss the motif, the hair flown back, the color, & the way they fight excluding fire-breathing, makes them characteristically similar. Garudamon & Blaziken are just Fire birds being the only similarity, to me.

I agree. . .I don't like debates that involve soley on which is better or who'd win in a fight, that's obvious.:p Pokemon & Digimon both are respected to their own designs with similar looks. However I'll have you know that Machinedramon is goddayum titanically beautiful android, I appreciate your fan-liking for liking both too.

I think you just want Sceptile in to complete the starter trio for diversities sake. I see a lot of speculation that wants every character to have a level of uniqueness and cannot stand any character added that doesn't fit their forced expectations; this is a HUGE problem on Smashboards. Sakurai puts in some decent level of effort for playable Pokémon (sans Pichu, but it is long gone now), and I'm sure he would be willing to put effort into a Pokémon that emits fire from its WRISTS and can jump 30 STORIES. Those gimmicks in themselves are enough to run with.
Your first paragraph should read my first post in reply to your first quote. Moving on.

I don't want Sceptile just for trinity's sake? What? forced expectations from users's speculation sometimes go hand-in-hand, it all depends how civil it's gone about. I don't see any of us being un-civil about it. Pokedex entries mean very little to absolutely no canon meaning to the Nintendo cross-over game that is Super Smash Brothers, flaming wrists are cool, 30 stories only means it can jump high, which that can be it's advantageous mechanic be, a good jump.

Last edited:

TheNerdyOne_

Smash Ace
The main reason I doubt Blaziken is simply for variety. Pokemon has a ton of potential for a ton of variety in its reps, having another fire starter just because they were the most popular goes against that. He's also kind of old news by now, Swampert and Sceptile just got new Mega Evolutions and are in the spotlight now.

I think it is a little bit too early to be considering inkling for smash don't get me wrong splatoon looks like a interesting game and I hope for it to be a successful franchise but development for splatoon didn't start until they were in the middle of development for smash so that's why I think they want to wait and see how splatoon does before even considering inklings for smash (5 of course) sometimes popularity and relevancy plays a important role I'm sure in decisions sometimes it doesn't but we will never with the man we have at the wheel of the bus
When development started is irrelevant, we're talking about DLC. Considering how much popularity a lot of Nintendo's franchises owe to Smash, I think it's safe to say that they aren't going to be worrying about how well it does when considering an Inkling for DLC. It's a great way to market the game and help it be even more popular, and would be a huge missed opportunity in that sense.

G0LD3N L0TUS

Smash Lord
NNID
G0LD3N_L0TUS
3DS FC
3007-8158-6601
I think Blaziken could easily be unique. Denying that is stupid. I prefer Sceptile. That's all, we're done. It's that simple.

mark welford

Smash Ace
The main reason I doubt Blaziken is simply for variety. Pokemon has a ton of potential for a ton of variety in its reps, having another fire starter just because they were the most popular goes against that. He's also kind of old news by now, Swampert and Sceptile just got new Mega Evolutions and are in the spotlight now.

When development started is irrelevant, we're talking about DLC. Considering how much popularity a lot of Nintendo's franchises owe to Smash, I think it's safe to say that they aren't going to be worrying about how well it does when considering an Inkling for DLC. It's a great way to market the game and help it be even more popular, and would be a huge missed opportunity in that sense.
well whatever I still maintain we wont see splatoon represented in any way until smash 5

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
Hypothetically for DLC, this kind of reminds me of Greninja's situation. Just a tad.

Last edited:

~Krystal~

True American Heroine
Unlike Roy, an Inkling would require a completely different skillset. They would in effect be an original addition to the roster, which is what I'd love. On the other hand, there goes the development time that could have gone towards another series with a sizable and longstanding fanbase. Sounds like a tough decision to make.

mark welford

Smash Ace
That's a good point! It probably just comes down to whether Sakurai thinks they'd be a good addition or not.
never cross a street without looking what I'm basically saying is it is too risky for them to waste time on a game which has not came out developing a character of a game that has not even hit shelves and if the game bombs which I hope it doesn't they would have wasted their time developing a character of game that bombed when that time could be spent making a character for a already known franchise

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
If it was, that didn't answer my question. My question was why would the advertisements that Blaziken has been in not be attributed to it when it still was present? And why would it being promoted in XY automatically mean that it can't be promoted for both?
To that I say, Blaziken is not used as frequently. The new ad with Mega Metagross has Swampert and Sceptile, it does not have Blaziken. Just one example.
The two reveals were the big thing even earlier one- Blaziken was in, but merely because they likely wanted to show all three starters, and it would have looked much more strange to NOT include him.
It isn't a matter of him not being able to be used to promote both, it is that by the nature of advertising, he was already chosen for XY. Mega Blaziken was introduced in XY, and that is when he was new. Sure, he is in ORAS, but he is not new in these games. He is a gen 3 Pokemon, but these are technicalities at this point- he was not marketed as an ORAS pokemon, and was used merely as a teaser in XY to show us the remakes were to come.
I'm not saying this disqualifies him as a Gen 3 Pokemon, just that this disqualifies Mega Blaziken as a new ORAS Pokemon.

As for your points, as mentioned above, there are options to separate the two, even more so then Chrom vs. Ike/Marth. Similarly, while being unique can work in a character's favor, sometimes it doesn't. For instance, Krystal has more to give then Wolf in terms of unique, but we got the latter over the former back in Brawl, whether it'd be because he was more popular then her in Japan, Sakurai's preference, or otherwise. In that case, uniqueness didn't win out. It's not a black and white case with popularity vs. uniqueness, there's a large amount of gray there, and theoretically, there is enough reason to believe that potentially Blaziken could be chosen over Sceptile, more unique or not.
As I said in my post, there are options to do anything. There were options to separate Chrom if he wanted to. The point is that when you compare Blazike to Sceptile, there is no denying who the clear winner is when it comes to who screams 'more unique game play options.'

That last part of Sakurai's statement is also a HUGE INDICATOR.

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
Unlike Roy, an Inkling would require a completely different skillset. They would in effect be an original addition to the roster, which is what I'd love. On the other hand, there goes the development time that could have gone towards another series with a sizable and longstanding fanbase. Sounds like a tough decision to make.
Nonsense!@ the part about development time affecting the decision.:p If any first priority characters that didn't make the finalized roster so to speak, would just be touched up & finished tweaking with being ASAP DLC shortly after the game's release. Say a few weeks, a month or two?

An inkling for DLC in smash would be lower priority probably to be released within a few months or rather half a year? Maybe shorter time length than that.

Last edited:

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
never cross a street without looking what I'm basically saying is it is too risky for them to waste time on a game which has not came out developing a character of a game that has not even hit shelves and if the game bombs which I hope it doesn't they would have wasted their time developing a character of game that bombed when that time could be spent making a character for a already known franchise
On the flip side, spending a little dough to develop the character and add her into smash is a sure fire way to market the game and make sure it IS a success.
In other words, her being in smash will make her game much more popular innately.

Considering how much emphasis Nintendo put on Splatoon at E3 as their answer to inventive, multiplayer First Person Shooters, I think this is the route they will take. This doesn't appear to me to be a one-off title, it seems to me they want to make this a franchise. The best way to build it is to make sure it gets many supporters from the launch. Get fans by having them play as her in smash; SSB is the best marketing Nintendo has. Period.

Last edited:

mark welford

Smash Ace
On the flip side, spending a little dough to develop the character and add her into smash is a sure fire way to market the game and make sure it IS a success.
In other words, her being in smash will make her game much more popular innately.

Considering how much emphasis Nintendo put on Splatoon at E3 as their answer to inventive, multiplayer First Person Shooters, I think this is the route they will take. This doesn't appear to me to be a one-off title, it seems to me they want to make this a franchise. The best way to build it is to make sure it gets many supporters from the launch. Get fans by having them play as her in smash; SSB is the best marketing Nintendo has. Period.
it can be a guy too so inkling could be like Robin, Villager and Wii Fit Trainer

~Krystal~

True American Heroine
Nonsense!@ the part about development time affecting the decision.:p If any first priority characters that didn't make the finalized roster so to speak, would just be touched up & finished tweaking with being ASAP DLC shortly after the game's release. Say a few weeks, a month or two?
Herein lies another issue. Isn't the point of DLC to give the fans characters that are in demand? Why would they polish up the uncompleted ones, which are clearly not first priority if they aren't on the finalized roster, and offer up leftovers as DLC? I can see this making sense if they plan to crank out a lot of them post release, but I'm not sure that's going to be the case.

Last edited:

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
Yesss the motif, the hair flown back, the color, & the way they fight excluding fire-breathing, makes them characteristically similar. Garudamon & Blaziken are just Fire birds being the only similarity, to me.
Eh, I wouldn't personally contribute some of those as similarities (for instance, Garudamon isn't primarily a kickboxer), but that's getting a bit too into that debate. Regardless, yeah there are some similarities, but those do not a Digimon make. Blaziken having those similarities to Garudamon doesn't make it a Digimon, it just means that there was some overlap in their concept, and it doesn't mean it's a bad Pokémon for having those (and vice versa for Digimon).

I agree. . .I don't like debates that involve soley on which is better or who'd win in a fight, that's obvious.:p Pokemon & Digimon both are respected to their own designs with similar looks. However I'll have you know that Machinedramon is goddayum titanically beautiful android, I appreciate your fan-liking for liking both too.
Thanks, and yeah, Machinedramon is awesome!

To that I say, Blaziken is not used as frequently. The new ad with Mega Metagross has Swampert and Sceptile, it does not have Blaziken. Just one example.
You mean the video where they were used as cannon fodder? If that's the case, then Zigzagoon is the most prominent Hoenn rep as it was beat up by Pikachus five times in a row. Otherwise, there have been no advertisements that those two have been in that Blaziken was not.

The two reveals were the big thing even earlier one- Blaziken was in, but merely because they likely wanted to show all three starters, and it would have looked much more strange to NOT include him.
And yet, it still appeared in other advertisements, such as this one. It did not disappear after the other two were revealed, it still shares the limelight with them.

It isn't a matter of him not being able to be used to promote both, it is that by the nature of advertising, he was already chosen for XY. Mega Blaziken was introduced in XY, and that is when he was new. Sure, he is in ORAS, but he is not new in these games. He is a gen 3 Pokemon, but these are technicalities at this point- he was not marketed as an ORAS pokemon, and was used merely as a teaser in XY to show us the remakes were to come.
That doesn't make any sense. Was Lucario not being prominently promoted in B2W2 because it was doing that already in DPPt? No, the Pokémon was still a very notable part of the advertisement in those games, it doesn't disappear because "it appeared before." Blaziken is still being used in advertising, it's still in the limelight, it's still showing up in the videos, so on and so forth. Saying its appearance in XY is a detriment (when really, it's the opposite as now its prominent in two games) is completely faulty.

As I said in my post, there are options to do anything. There were options to separate Chrom if he wanted to. The point is that when you compare Blazike to Sceptile, there is no denying who the clear winner is when it comes to who screams 'more unique game play options.'
That last part of Sakurai's statement is also a HUGE INDICATOR.
Except it's already been established that Blaziken has unique options and that its not a clear cut argument for "uniqueness vs. popularity." Sceptile may have more options, but that doesn't mean that it'll be the only deciding factor, Blaziken has its points that could win it favor with Sakurai, that's the point I'm trying to make. Ignoring those and playing up Sceptile doesn't make the latter more likely, it just means you're not giving Blaziken enough credit.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom