• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
smash in terms is the most unique fighting game out there you get a invitation to smash you have officially reached the top I think it would not be a stretch to say none of the fighting games now have can live up to smash expectations and sony trying to rip-off smash with that sony all-stars is not a good idea because if your messing with smash your messing with the king of fighting games which you cant win
Marvel vs Capcom 3 was hype as **** yo

Street Fighter is still the undisputed king of fighting games unless we're talking about sales.

Masonomace

Yeah Shulk, get stuck in!
NNID
Masonomace
You totally get it. Whether or not Jiggs gets anymore fun, doesn't mean a cut is merited. Mario never gets anymore fun for me, but the Justice League ain't the Justice League without Superman. Jiggs is Aquaman. Nobody really gives a ****, but when he's not there, you notice it.
I miss Justice League Unlimited. . . . .. . . .Thanks Ob--
Thanks Espio.:scared:
I was slightly excited from overload of posts, I let my fingers slip & typed that. Sry but ty, she'll never get boring similar to that wise quote, "There is never nothing going on." Same applies for Purin & every character, she'll never get boring unless you stop noticing her.:shades:

C'mon people, what is this, not a Smash forum?

"Anything can change!"

And I learned a thing today. 8) Thank you~
Thanks for Posting~
And learning~

Last edited:

Xenorange

Smash Lord
It is ironic that you enjoy Sonic's move-set over Jigglypuff's because they are polar opposites. Jigglypuff has a unique play-style as a longstanding veteran and Sonic has the most uninspired, unoriginal play-style to ever grace Smash, I am not sure why they brought him back. Sakurai should have just included Mega Man and left it at that. It would be such a horrible fate to have to endure Sonic another time without Snake. Cutting Snake and not Sonic would be utterly irrational.

Hehehee.

"It's not too late, it's never too late!"

Greninja'd by @ Masonomace Masonomace

Is he not also the first Grass-Dragon type via Mega Evolution?
I'm just a fan of the character man, I fail to see the irony in that. My opinion of you is now extremely negative. I used to like your posts, whether you care about my opinion matters not to me though. Long live Sonic, my childhood idol. I'm sorry that you have to "endure" such a special part of my childhood. If you were trying to hurt me, then you succeeded. Trust me, I'm more aware than anyone of how disappointing his moveset was. With that said, here take all of my hatred.

mark welford

Smash Ace
He can shoot lasers, he can sap health, he can make leaf blades, he can make leaf tornadoes, he can grapple with vines, he can shoot seed bombs, his mega form can shoot his tail as a torpedo and he has leech seed.
aren't you happy? we already have a green lizard who does better than what you listed he can grow wings and breathe fire can sceptile do that? no his name? Yoshi his full name? T. Yoshisaur Munchakoopas

Last edited:

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
Sonic's moveset is pretty good let's be real.

Just needs some tweaks.

Morbi

Scavenger
I'm just a fan of the character man, I fail to see the irony in that. My opinion of you is now extremely negative. I used to like your posts, whether you care about my opinion matters not to me though. Long live Sonic, my childhood idol. I'm sorry that you have to "endure" such a special part of my childhood. If you were trying to hurt me, then you succeeded. Trust me, I'm more aware than anyone of how disappointing his moveset was. With that said, here take all of my hatred.
I was just being facetious, I am also a Sonic fan, albeit, I am also also (sic) a Jigglypuff fan. I support clone characters such as Dark Pit, I have no right to discuss what move-sets do or do not deserve to be in the game. :p

I apologize for offending you, 'twas a (bad) joke.

Last edited:

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
What is Snake going to be cut for if the reasons you countered aren't going to apply.
The point is if Snake is cut, all the top dogs of the development screwed up BIG TIME.

You know, just like how ALL of the top dogs for Brawl's development team screwed up BIG TIME by putting over 60% of everything into the Subpar Crapperary.

Weeman

Smash Crusader
Now you're just taking this way too seriously

mark welford

Smash Ace
I was once a sonic fan too but I envy your love of the blue blur

D

Deleted member

On the subject of Sonic, as much as I love the fact he's in the game, I agree that his moveset is so uninspired. He doesn't have the most potential in the world, but it's there. How I would make it-- Project M version but up-smash is the tornado attack from heroes, and down b is bounce attack in mid air. I do like his new dash attack with the kick at the end though. Also Snake should be back, but I'm not sure how likely that also.

Also Tails for Smash he has more potential than Sonic.

Last edited by a moderator:
NNID
Nightdazer
3DS FC
0731-4784-1465
On the subject of Sonic, as much as I love the fact he's in the game, but I agree his moveset is so uninspired. He doesn't have the most potential in the world, but it's there. How I would make it-- Project M version but up-smash is the tornado attack from heroes, and down b is bounce attack in mid air. I do like his new dash attack with the kick at the end though. Also Snake should be back, but I'm not sure how likely that also.

Also Tails for Smash he has more potential than Sonic.
I would love to see Tails make it in. He has tons of options for his moveset.

Niala

Smash Ace
I ****ing hate Jigglypuff, Sceptile is light-years cooler. I pray to based Sakurai that he's included as a playable character. Sceptile's the only pokerep left that i REALLY want. The ideal Pokemon lineup would be Pikachu, Lucario, Mewtwo, Sceptile, Charizard and Greninja. Death to the Puff, life to the Lizard.
Don't talk about Sonic, you'll start a real fight with me.
He can shoot lasers, he can sap health, he can make leaf blades, he can make leaf tornadoes, he can grapple with vines, he can shoot seed bombs, his mega form can shoot his tail as a torpedo and he has leech seed.
This is truly the most mercurial posting I've even seen. I'm baffled.

So...thoughts on my post?
I'd like to read it BUT I CAN'T KEEP UP!
I'm gonna ignore stuff and go read it RIGHT NOW THOUGH.

Last edited:

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
Overall, Falcon is love.
Purin could use some re-vamp / changes / balancing to not get gimped by meteor smashes.
Sonic could replace his current VA & bring back Ryan Drummond or Jason Griffith. Roger Craig Smitch's lines so far in Sm4sh just ain't doing it for me. My opinion cus I watched all the Sonic anime & most of the games.
Snake should come back, I'd love his amazing game design to make another debut
I want Sceptile's Grass Raptor model to hunt the cast.

Huge apologies for this, the madness of posts occured right as your post was submitted here. I am definitely going to ignore the activity & re-read it. Brb

Last edited:

mark welford

Smash Ace
I said this before and I will say this again if sonic should get a second representative it should be tails he is the one who is closest to sonic and he would have a pretty unique moveset after that whoever else can come until then I maintain that tails deserves that second sonic representative spot

ElPanandero

Smash Lord
NNID
ElPanandero
Well the good old Brawl detractors for sonic, and there were a noticeable handful, complained most loudly about the direction sonic had gone since the dreamcast days, in everything 3D, post Adventure I believe. So I think, as a way to soften the blow for the detractors, they went with a "classic" sonic moveset so they could say "hey look, its classic sonic, you guys can't be mad" but it ended up making those who liked sonic, or were neutral to sonic, to dislike him apparently. I never had a problem with his moveset, his specials were lame and I suck at using him, but I never held that against him.

And yes @ Pizzanigs Pizzanigs I'd love to see Rool, though I'd hope he gets at least one blunderbuss based move, King Rool is Lame rool in my book

Last edited:

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
He would just be another sword user :awesome:

Welcome to the internet, where Morbid is the Queen of sarcasm

About Snake? Anything can happen at this point really. I'd be surprised if he returned based on what's going on

Espio264

Smash Ace
Yes. Or Knuckles. Or neither, because a second Third party rep from a particular series gets away from Nintendo All Stars. But if we can have a Namco Special flag, can we have a Tails item? one of his inventions? I'd say his tails, but that's basically what Tanooki leaf is already doing. What about Knuckles' gloves as an item? Can you imagine Falcon Punch with Knux' gloves. Freakin' Fantastic.

Sonic could replace his current VA & bring back Ryan Drummond or Jason Griffith. Roger Craig Smitch's lines so far in Sm4sh just ain't doing it for me. My opinion cus I watched all the Sonic anime & most of the games.
Jaleel White is best Sonic.

Oz37

Smash Journeyman
NNID
smozzy
Let's talk about a lizard who's ten times more cool, powerful, and loved than Sceptile.

Other than Morbid, would you guys like to see King K. Rool? :awesome:
I'd be fine with K. Rool, but he's just one of those characters for me that I have a hard time visualizing in the cast. This doesn't mean I don't support or think he's likely, it's like I just have a block and can't "see" him alongside the others myself. Do you guys have characters like that? Ones you think have a chance of being playable but you just can't realistically imagine what they'd be like in game?

Morbi

Scavenger
Alright, so about Snake...

There's some misconceptions on his chances for this game in my honest opinion. I think most people who want him out of the game are people who have never played Metal Gear Solid and are biased against it because it's "violent and gritty". However, if you've played essentially any title in the MGS series, you would know it hardly takes itself seriously, and it is goofy quite a bit of the time.

A lot of people in the Smash speculation community (not just here) like to say that Snake doesn't fit and should be cut. That's entirely subjective. My opinion that he fit just fine is also subjective. However, Sakurai's opinion actually lines up with mine. Coincidentially, so does Satoru Iwata's. Just read the interview from an Iwata Ask's episode in which Sakurai is talked to about Snake and Sonic. Here is an except:

If you look at a few of the parts I highlighted, you will realize that:

1) Iwata looks at it as both Sonic AND Snake fit into the environment of the game, and seem as if they've always been a part of the series.
- Basically, the argument that "Snake doesn't fit!" means nothing. Subjectively, you may think he doesn't fit, but the people whose thoughts matter most believe the opposite.

2) There was indeed internal debate on "where to draw the line" on 3rd Party characters in Smash. As found in a different interview with Hideo Kojima, he mentions that the Nintendo big-wigs weren't keen on the idea of Snake because he was "too Sony". This creates a hypocritical situation. However, I believe Sakurai's work convinced Iwata that it was a good choice, and it was because of the trust in Sakurai that Snake was allowed in the game.

Moving onto a point that may not bear too much prominence, but think about this...Smash Bros. has never completely lost a series before. We've lost characters, but we've never lost an entire series. If Snake is cut, that means that that will finally actually happen. We would lose a unique stage, trophies from various games of the series, and above all else, the iconic protagonist who had one of the most unique movesets in the series. It would be rather unfortunate as a fan of both Smash and Metal Gear.

Snake's position with Nintendo hasn't really changed at all. Around the time of Brawl, he had a remake in The Twin Snakes, and had MGS4 coming out on the heels of Brawl. Sakurai has made it known that he has no ****s to give about console wars as we know, so the current situation with Ground Zeroes/The Phantom Pain is comparable and negligible.

If Sakurai really cared about Snake predominantly being on competitor consoles, he wouldn't have been in the game in the first place. Actually, if IWATA cared as much as people claim he would, then why is content from Guns of the Patriots in the game in the first place? Portable Ops? There is a fair amount of content from games not on Nintendo consoles.

So far, several of the reasons against Snake that people use have been cast aside. The fact that he "isn't Nintendo" and/or "doesn't fit" can't really be used as a solid argument against him (pun not intended) based on the fact that Sakurai and Iwata disagree based on the interview I included.

I also find that Snake being the first 3rd Party character EVER introduced to Smash Bros. is something that shouldn't go unnoticed. I feel as if it will be a strange feeling without him based on his impact on the series. Removing him now will never erase him from Smash Bros. He's been a Smash Brother, so he's ALWAYS a Smash Brother.

The only way I could see him not being in this game, is if the initial contract to have Snake in Brawl was a one-time deal. That is simply the only way I see it at this point. There is nothing significant against him. The recent interview with Kojima can't really be taken either way, as the wording was strange, and Kojima is a complete troll. So really, you never can tell. (he DID have a smirk on his face...)

Why hasn't Snake been revealed yet? Well think of it this way. Mario v Sonic v Mega Man v Pac-Man is a gamer's dream come true. It's something that has never happened before. That picture of the four of them on Miiverse is something that Sakurai milked for awhile, and it makes sense to not have had Snake in it. It would have been awkward, and I'm a huge fan of the character and what he can do.

It makes more sense to me to reveal him later than that, and take advantage of his always amazing introduction of, "Kept you waiting, huh?". A lot of people expect him to be gone, so what better way to surprise everybody than reveal him just before the end of things?

At the end of the day, I could easily be proven wrong in the next few weeks. I hope I'm not, but I accept the fact that I might be wrong, and will have to suffer the pain of having one of my favorite characters in Brawl removed. That said, I am pioneering a Snake for Smash DLC campaign just in case, so if you are interested in following that effort, you can find it on Twitter at @Snake4Smash4.

Thanks for reading. I hope I convinced at least a few people. I think Snake gets a lot of unwarranted hate, and I hope that changes.
If it was truly your hope to convince someone that they were indeed incorrect, you were successful, good sir. I am not sure whether or not I wholeheartedly agree with the sentiment that relevant Nintendo figures thought that he "fit" into Smash. Let us be honest, he "fits" because he does not "fit." That is what I enjoy so much about his inclusion. Honestly, I interpret those assertions as standard PR statements. It is not as though Sakurai would tell us if he did not enjoy the choice. I do not find it material. The rest of your argument; however, was solid. :snake:

I am "crashing this party" fairly late, but better late than never, Dark Pit always says.

Last edited:

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209

Xenorange

Smash Lord
This is truly the most mercurial posting I've even seen. I'm baffled.

I'd like to read it BUT I CAN'T KEEP UP!
I'm gonna ignore stuff and go read it RIGHT NOW THOUGH.
What can I say, I get defensive when it comes to my childhood memories. I'm an odd guy.

Weeman

Smash Crusader
Jaleel White is best Sonic.
Sonic: "Hey Silver, would you like some soda?"
Silver: NO
Sonic: "Why?"
Silver: IT'S NO JUICE! TAKE THIS!
Jaleel: Did i do that?
What am i doing with my life?

Last edited:

Gold_Jacobson

Smash Journeyman
Don't know why you guys debate the roster when my uncle is a Nintendo and works for Sakurai and I can just ask him for the roster if you all want me too.

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
My one & only thought was,
"you. . .you're good:shades:"

I have nothing to say, I was quite fond of the solid evidence through quotes / source provided to us, you got me & many others on this thread atm to be in awe to your reasoning of Snake's inclusion as a Smash Brother regain a future debut in Sm4sh. I was fond of his game-play, although not playing all the MGS games, I've watched enough to know it's not what people assume it out to be. I thank you for posting that of which I read.

~Thanks for Posting~

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger
Well since you obviously want the attention, I think it was a very good post about Snake's unique situation. You covered just about everything. It isn't anything I haven't already heard, though, so I wouldn't say this changes my opinion on his chances.
Agreed. The post did not actually alter my opinion on his chances directly, it did; however, make me realize that I was being far too presumptuous in my perspective and that I was arbitrarily disregarding certain notions, such as the fact that Snake was our first third-party character. It was easy to blatantly dismiss that as not material, but after reading the post, I have given it more thought and determined that it was relevant. Basically, it helped me dispel some longstanding biases against Snake's inclusion.

In that right, I changed my opinion. I am on the Snake plane (Snakes on a Train is overrated). :snake:

Niala

Smash Ace
Alright, so about Snake...

There's some misconceptions on his chances for this game in my honest opinion. I think most people who want him out of the game are people who have never played Metal Gear Solid and are biased against it because it's "violent and gritty". However, if you've played essentially any title in the MGS series, you would know it hardly takes itself seriously, and it is goofy quite a bit of the time.
I'll admit I've never played anything from Metal Gear Solid, but I also think he is one of the most unique fighters in the game, and really enjoyed playing him. I wouldn't wish him to leave.

A lot of people in the Smash speculation community (not just here) like to say that Snake doesn't fit and should be cut. That's entirely subjective. My opinion that he fit just fine is also subjective. However, Sakurai's opinion actually lines up with mine. Coincidentially, so does Satoru Iwata's. Just read the interview from an Iwata Ask's episode in which Sakurai is talked to about Snake and Sonic. Here is an except:

If you look at a few of the parts I highlighted, you will realize that:

1) Iwata looks at it as both Sonic AND Snake fit into the environment of the game, and seem as if they've always been a part of the series.
- Basically, the argument that "Snake doesn't fit!" means nothing. Subjectively, you may think he doesn't fit, but the people whose thoughts matter most believe the opposite.
Agreed. They wouldn't have included him in the first place if he was super out of place.

2) There was indeed internal debate on "where to draw the line" on 3rd Party characters in Smash. As found in a different interview with Hideo Kojima, he mentions that the Nintendo big-wigs weren't keen on the idea of Snake because he was "too Sony". This creates a hypocritical situation. However, I believe Sakurai's work convinced Iwata that it was a good choice, and it was because of the trust in Sakurai that Snake was allowed in the game.
Convinced, but that's basically the same thing as the first point. They're both an argument of whether or not he's applicable or "fitting."

Moving onto a point that may not bear too much prominence, but think about this...Smash Bros. has never completely lost a series before. We've lost characters, but we've never lost an entire series. If Snake is cut, that means that that will finally actually happen. We would lose a unique stage, trophies from various games of the series, and above all else, the iconic protagonist who had one of the most unique movesets in the series. It would be rather unfortunate as a fan of both Smash and Metal Gear.
I don't think that's necessarily relevant, especially when the series in question is third party.

Snake's position with Nintendo hasn't really changed at all. Around the time of Brawl, he had a remake in The Twin Snakes, and had MGS4 coming out on the heels of Brawl. Sakurai has made it known that he has no ****s to give about console wars as we know, so the current situation with Ground Zeroes/The Phantom Pain is comparable and negligible.

If Sakurai really cared about Snake predominantly being on competitor consoles, he wouldn't have been in the game in the first place. Actually, if IWATA cared as much as people claim he would, then why is content from Guns of the Patriots in the game in the first place? Portable Ops? There is a fair amount of content from games not on Nintendo consoles.

So far, several of the reasons against Snake that people use have been cast aside. The fact that he "isn't Nintendo" and/or "doesn't fit" can't really be used as a solid argument against him (pun not intended) based on the fact that Sakurai and Iwata disagree based on the interview I included.

I also find that Snake being the first 3rd Party character EVER introduced to Smash Bros. is something that shouldn't go unnoticed. I feel as if it will be a strange feeling without him based on his impact on the series. Removing him now will never erase him from Smash Bros. He's been a Smash Brother, so he's ALWAYS a Smash Brother.
I don't think this is relevant, personally, but I can see the logic behind it. It's not dissimilar from the o12 argument.

The only way I could see him not being in this game, is if the initial contract to have Snake in Brawl was a one-time deal. That is simply the only way I see it at this point. There is nothing significant against him. The recent interview with Kojima can't really be taken either way, as the wording was strange, and Kojima is a complete troll. So really, you never can tell. (he DID have a smirk on his face...)
That was my thought as well, to be honest. I doubt at the time of Brawl they had intentions of making a fourth Smash Brothers, but here we are. I feel like Snake could suffer in that he's indeed third party, given that we have Sonic, Mega Man, and Pac-Man, who are being used as publicity. It's even been stated that Sakurai is shocked that it was possible to get these major characters in a game with Mario. I don't think that Snake is on the same level, and he could have been dropped in favour of those characters for various reasons.

Why hasn't Snake been revealed yet? Well think of it this way. Mario v Sonic v Mega Man v Pac-Man is a gamer's dream come true. It's something that has never happened before. That picture of the four of them on Miiverse is something that Sakurai milked for awhile, and it makes sense to not have had Snake in it. It would have been awkward, and I'm a huge fan of the character and what he can do.

It makes more sense to me to reveal him later than that, and take advantage of his always amazing introduction of, "Kept you waiting, huh?". A lot of people expect him to be gone, so what better way to surprise everybody than reveal him just before the end of things?

At the end of the day, I could easily be proven wrong in the next few weeks. I hope I'm not, but I accept the fact that I might be wrong, and will have to suffer the pain of having one of my favorite characters in Brawl removed. That said, I am pioneering a Snake for Smash DLC campaign just in case, so if you are interested in following that effort, you can find it on Twitter at @Snake4Smash4.

Thanks for reading. I hope I convinced at least a few people. I think Snake gets a lot of unwarranted hate, and I hope that changes.
I think the basic concept of your post is correct, that people are dismissing him for the wrong reasons. However, I don't think you've managed to convince me he's returning yet.

I'm sorry it took so long, but here's a response from somebody who read. <3 The thread's just moving so fast it's hard to keep up when a huge post comes along.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom