• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
Canada, Quebec (or Rogeuport if you want)
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
It's Hideo Kojima. There's no reason to take him seriously. He could be telling the truth, but then again, it's Hideo Kojima.
yeah, but did he expressed it like that smirk? Because that may be enough to at least expect him even if I would be unsure.

(there's really no way to tell what's the truth anyway, but implying it like that other interview...that may be more promising for me anyway).

Burruni

Smash Hero
Hey guys!
We are only a few hours away from assassination Monday

Which Retro do you think will bite the bullet today?

Or adversely, do you think Sakurai will break the chain, and reveal a retro today?
Excitebike AT, one of few Retros that people support that have the hope of being an AT, as I believe most don't have enough to be that let alone a fighter... as I slowly wait here in the corner as a Donbe & Hikari supporter.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
yeah, but did he expressed it like that smirk? Because that may be enough to at least expect him even if I would be unsure.

(there's really no way to tell what's the truth anyway, but implying it like that other interview...that may be more promising for me anyway).
Kojima basically chuckled and had a smirk on his face when he answered. So like I said, it's Hideo Kojima.

Like you said though. We'll just have to wait and see.

Burruni

Smash Hero
Hey guys!

Or adversely, do you think Sakurai will break the chain, and reveal a retro today?
Excitebike AT, one of few Retros that people support that have the hope of being an AT, as I believe most don't have enough to be that let alone a fighter... as I slowly wait here in the corner as a hypocritical but not hopeful Donbe & Hikari supporter.

D

Deleted member

I feel sonic boom is a little bit too much though I guess some people never heard the phrase if it aint broke don't fix it also I said lately which could mean recently
I don't mind the fact that it's different. It's actually being worked on by a separate team from Sonic Team, and Sonic Team is still working and the core games. What most people don't like about Sonic Boom is that it simply looks bad.

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
Canada, Quebec (or Rogeuport if you want)
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
Kojima basically chuckled and had a smirk on his face when he answered. So like I said, it's Hideo Kojima.

Like you said though. We'll just have to wait and see.
I'll have to think about it because doing it 2 times is another thing...

Maybe Sakurai let him tease his stuff (I mean it's know that they are friends so could happen).

mark welford

Smash Ace
Excitebike AT, one of few Retros that people support that have the hope of being an AT, as I believe most don't have enough to be that let alone a fighter... as I slowly wait here in the corner as a Donbe & Hikari supporter.
Rene & Angela 80's duo: you don't have to cry alone I'll here by your side to help be strong in short your not alone in your support of Donbe & Hikari

Masonomace

Yeah Shulk, get stuck in!
NNID
Masonomace
Hey guys!

Excluding MonadoMonday, or ReynTime

Muddy Mole? The recent discussion about him brought up leads me into his sudden de-confirmation.

I definitely feel Jill Dozer will get de-confirmed, & be AT status again.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
We're both speculating. Points offset.

But now, facts: Sceptile's support before Greninja was revealed was waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay less than it is now.

Mewtwo's support before Greninja's reveal was among the most wanted, if not THE most wanted.

And yes, I'll speculate further, but in an educated manner: Past the four Pokemon we have now, priority probably goes to Jiggs then Mewtwo then Ivysaur/Squirtle then "hey let's add another one!" If they were sooooooo sure they wanted Sceptile, would they not have likely shown him to us instead, being so confident in him, than the "XY somebody we hope they're gonna like".

Sceptile is like Ghirahim, Waddle Dee, Dark Pit and Chrom. A character people think is likely based on patterns that aren't actually patterns. In the end it comes down to: I'm not Sakurai, you're not Sakurai, therefore we're both wrong.
Eckhem...

This may have some aptitude built into it, but only by the nature of general human logic.
As information is revealed, our prediction on the outcome is changed. What exactly is the complaint about this? This is the foundation of an equation, to find the variables one at a time.

Before Namco was revealed to be making the game, Pacman was not considered as much of an option.
Before Snake, we had no third parties at all.
Before one character is revealed, another is seen as less likely (because they are less important to the series. Such as K Rool after Diddy).
I could go as far as to say that before a game comes out, a character from that game is not supported.
Patterns are observing method of operation; rather that defending the entirety of the process, I'll just say it is used to determine motive in things much more 'important' than adding characters to a smash game.

So, while the paragraph may have read as brilliant insight to a few on this forum, I've got to say, I'm not impressed, and am rather insulted to have all those characters lumped together. It seems to me you grouped together any highly discussed character into one arena simply because they are names that come up enough, and rather than dissecting the actual merits of the arguments themselves, you are calling them out together to be based on Patterns of information let out to the public.

The negative connotation seems to me you just don't enjoy or particularly want any of those characters, and so you will not look into the possibility that some actually have probability. Will they happen? Who knows- that is what this stage of the game is, SPECULATION. If you do not like it, honestly, what are you doing in the character speculation area of this site?

~Krystal~

True American Heroine
Hey guys!

We've had retro ATs for the past two weeks haven't we? My prediction for this upcoming Monday is none other than the heavily requested Goku from Yūyūki.

mark welford

Smash Ace
I don't mind the fact that it's different. It's actually being worked on by a separate team from Sonic Team, and Sonic Team is still working and the core games. What most people don't like about Sonic Boom is that it simply looks bad.
it does when I say if it aint broke don't fix it what I mean by that is their appearance which I don't like they're covered in bandages like they are mummies knuckles looks like he has been taking steroids on top of that they are stuffing another character down our throats like we don't have enough characters already and plus the voice acting is bad

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
Excitebike AT, one of few Retros that people support that have the hope of being an AT, as I believe most don't have enough to be that let alone a fighter... as I slowly wait here in the corner as a hypocritical but not hopeful Donbe & Hikari supporter.
I just kinda noticed this, that you re-posted the same thing 15 minutes ago, while the post I quoted from you is only 11 minutes ago =O. I guess it doesn't matter much.
Despite what I said earlier, I'd actually be somewhat pleased if Snake got in, because I feel that Konami deserves a rep just as much as the other three.
If it had to be a Konami character, definitely Snake.
Not Yu-gi-oh or any of that sort.

What about Castlevania?

Last edited:

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
I would've taken Clefairy over Jigglypuff. I was never a fan of Jigglypuff as a kid, except in the show. . . And they just ditched her.
You are not the only one here. My only concern his how would Clefairy's moveset works due to her not looking like a ball/balloon type of Pokemon.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I'm truly hoping it is finally time for a reveal.
Two retro character's take the stage; Lip and Duck Hunt Dog!

We have not had enough cartoonish characters for this newcomer go through.

Xenorange

Smash Lord
Generations was a splendid game, one of my favorite games of all time in fact. As long as Sega keeps pumping out games with a somewhat similar formula, Sonic will stay out of his Dark age.

Espio264

Smash Ace
Eckhem...

This may have some aptitude built into it, but only by the nature of general human logic.
As information is revealed, our prediction on the outcome is changed. What exactly is the complaint about this? This is the foundation of an equation, to find the variables one at a time.

Before Namco was revealed to be making the game, Pacman was not considered as much of an option.
Before Snake, we had no third parties at all.
Before one character is revealed, another is seen as less likely (because they are less important to the series. Such as K Rool after Diddy).
I could go as far as to say that before a game comes out, a character from that game is not supported.
Patterns are observing method of operation; rather that defending the entirety of the process, I'll just say it is used to determine motive in things much more 'important' than adding characters to a smash game.

So, while the paragraph may have read as brilliant insight to a few on this forum, I've got to say, I'm not impressed, and am rather insulted to have all those characters lumped together. It seems to me you grouped together any highly discussed character into one arena simply because they are names that come up enough, and rather than dissecting the actual merits of the arguments themselves, you are calling them out together to be based on Patterns of information let out to the public.

The negative connotation seems to me you just don't enjoy or particularly want any of those characters, and so you will not look into the possibility that some actually have probability. Will they happen? Who knows- that is what this stage of the game is, SPECULATION. If you do not like it, honestly, what are you doing in the character speculation area of this site?
You're right and... not as right, on some of these things. My later posts that you've yet to get to, I'm going to assume at this point will clarify some of this. I conceded later that perhaps pattern wasn't the right wording, and rather an "if - then " statement was perhaps the way to go.

As for the characters: Sceptile's cool, but I don't think Greninja being a water starter points to a Grass starter, and this Type Trifecta having any actual merit. If he's in, cool beans. I just wouldn't put as much stock in him as a lot of people seem to be doing.

No, I don't like Ghirahim, but only because I think there are more diverse, more iconic Zelda characters that would have made more sense to be put in first (Midna, Impa, Skull Kid, Tingle).

Waddle Dee would be a fine addition. I have no problem with him. I just think that people think Sakurai's bias is the leading force behind what happens and what doesn't. (In terms of his own series) We have a crap ton of KI items, because there are a crap ton to choose from. Same goes with Zelda. There aren't many Star Fox or F Zero items because they just don't make as much sense. I don't think a fourth Kirby rep should be a given because Sakurai is the director. For example. If Metaknight/DDD in Brawl, then at least somebody in 4.

And Dark Pit should be a Palette swap/costume anyway you slice it. Lucina as a clone and not a costume does not help Dark Pit's case one bit.

Last edited:

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
I'm truly hoping it is finally time for a reveal.
Two retro character's take the stage; Lip and Duck Hunt Dog!

We have not had enough cartoonish characters for this newcomer go through.
I don't have a negative opinion towards either of these newcomers to Smash Brothers.
I'm ready for the reveal / disappointments

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
WATCH THE AURA! NUUUUUUUUUUHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!! Lucario is so badace BADACE!
It's always good that we know Sean Schemmel GOKU himself is voicing Lucario.
I forgot about @ ~Krystal~ ~Krystal~ 's post about Goku, you quit that song-playing & finish that jazz up. We already got Goku in Sm4sh.:p He's voicing Blucario:4lucario:.
Also as a Lucario Brawl main, go Lucario!
Cheers to his buffs & being a future god-tier character in Doubles!

Edit:
Simon Belmont and Bomberman are also worthy, yes. But I think it will be a while before we get multiple reps from third parties. When we do, I expect Tails will have priority.
Indeed to the max. SSB5 will be the age of 3rd party.
. . .right?

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger
You're right and... not as right, on some of these things. My later posts that you've yet to get to, I'm going to assume at this point will clarify some of this. I conceded later that perhaps pattern wasn't the right wording, and rather an "if - then " statement was perhaps the way to go.

As for the characters: Sceptile's cool, but I don't think Greninja being a water starter points to a Grass starter, and this Type Trifecta having any actual merit. If he's in, cool beans. I just wouldn't put as much stock in him as a lot of people seem to be doing.

No, I don't like Ghirahim, but only because I think there are more diverse, more iconic Zelda characters that would have made more sense to be put in first (Midna, Impa, Skull Kid, Tingle).

Waddle Dee would be a fine addition. I have no problem with him. I just think that people think Sakurai's bias is the leading force behind what happens and what doesn't. (In terms of his own series) We have a crap ton of KI items, because there are a crap ton to choose from. Same goes with Zelda. There aren't many Star Fox or F Zero items because they just don't make as much sense. I don't think a fourth Kirby rep should be a given because Sakurai is the director. For example. If Metaknight/DDD in Brawl, then at least somebody in 4.

And Dark Pit should be a Palette swap/costume anyway you slice it. Lucina as a clone and not a costume does not help Dark Pit's case one bit.
Unless you slice it from the angle that Dark Pit is his own character... with his own weapons, abilities, and least importantly, personality whilst being a perfect candidate for a clone. However, "should" is subjective language anyways, ironic that it is predominantly utilized for objective statements. The biggest contradiction in the English language... except for Colonel. There is no way that is pronounced the way it is spelled (Snake and Dark Pit confirmed).

mark welford

Smash Ace
It's always good that we know Sean Schemmel GOKU himself is voicing Lucario.
I forgot about @ ~Krystal~ ~Krystal~ 's post about Goku, you quit that song-playing & finish that jazz up. We already got Goku in Sm4sh.:p He's voicing Blucario:4lucario:.
Also as a Lucario Brawl main, go Lucario!
Cheers to his buffs & being a future god-tier character in Doubles!

Edit:

Indeed to the max. SSB5 will be the age of 3rd party.
. . .right?
the man behind the famous Kamehameha voices Lucario? neat!

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311

I am getting to some of the posts you made indeed, after that one I quoted.

However, it is not just Sakurai who makes the decision when it comes to second parties- he is his own second party when it comes to Kirby, Fire Emblem is a second party, and of course, Pokemon is a second party.

Second parties push marketing. When it comes down to bottom line, Smash bros is a marketing ploy. The type trio is the biggest tactic used in every single generation of Pokemon to market the upcoming Pokemon. It also introduces the battle mechanic to any new user in the Pokemon series.
It cannot be questioned that ORAS had to have been known about when this roster was being developed. I'm not really interested in making that argument, others can do it better and I find it a waste of time.
I prefer to focus on the lack that on just a purely practical level, how could it be possible that Game Freak would not try to push it's newer games upon us? If you want to demonstrate this would be Blaziken, go ahead, but I think the fact that Blaziken was in XY even further proves Sceptile is more of a headstone for ORAS than Blaziken is.

From a marketing standpoint, it would be an infallible mistake for Game Freak to not have mentioned it to Sakurai. As for Greninja, there is nothing in his explanation as to why he was included, and this is really the big point. All we received was that he "looked cool"- and by that standard, we would much more likely have gotten a different rep. Sylveon was publicized, as was Mega Mewtwo, and both represent far more to the Pokemon franchise (particularly the Eevee line). If Sakurai was just going by what looked cool, he certainly would not have chosen another Ninja after we got Sheik- this counters his statement of 'choosing a character which provides a unique move set.' So, why did we get Greninja? Either game freak pushed Greninja, which leads us back to a Gen 3 Pokemon also being pushed by Game Freak, or Sakurai wanted to represent a water elemental in the triad he already was thinking of representing.

Espio264

Smash Ace
Unless you slice it from the angle that Dark Pit is his own character... with his own weapons, abilities, and least importantly, personality whilst being a perfect candidate for a clone. However, "should" is subjective language anyways, ironic that it is predominantly utilized for objective statements. The biggest contradiction in the English language... except for Colonel. There is no way that is pronounced the way it is spelled (Snake and Dark Pit confirmed).
What I continually fail to communicate, apparently, is that the surge in Dark Pit's likeliness, didn't really come after the Palutena trailer, it came after Sakurai stating that a slight difference in their mechanics made Lucina a clone and not a costume. By this reasoning, people are asserting that Dark Pit would be a clone. Not an individual character with his own weapons/ or abilities, but ones similar enough to Pit. That's fine. Do it Sakurai. The problem is. Dark Pit is A PIT. He's not Dark Shadow Pit. He's not Dark Hush Pit. He's just Dark Pit. The only thing that separates him from Regular Pit, is all the Black. At least Dr. Mario has a coat and an uncovered head. Making him a completely unique character would work. Making him a Pit clone is just adding another Pit. It's like saying that Fire Mario should be his own character, even though he's a clone that does everything that Mario does, and has the same costume, just in a different color.

I am getting to some of the posts you made indeed, after that one I quoted.

However, it is not just Sakurai who makes the decision when it comes to second parties- he is his own second party when it comes to Kirby, Fire Emblem is a second party, and of course, Pokemon is a second party.

Second parties push marketing. When it comes down to bottom line, Smash bros is a marketing ploy. The type trio is the biggest tactic used in every single generation of Pokemon to market the upcoming Pokemon. It also introduces the battle mechanic to any new user in the Pokemon series.
It cannot be questioned that ORAS had to have been known about when this roster was being developed. I'm not really interested in making that argument, others can do it better and I find it a waste of time.
I prefer to focus on the lack that on just a purely practical level, how could it be possible that Game Freak would not try to push it's newer games upon us? If you want to demonstrate this would be Blaziken, go ahead, but I think the fact that Blaziken was in XY even further proves Sceptile is more of a headstone for ORAS than Blaziken is.

From a marketing standpoint, it would be an infallible mistake for Game Freak to not have mentioned it to Sakurai. As for Greninja, there is nothing in his explanation as to why he was included, and this is really the big point. All we received was that he "looked cool"- and by that standard, we would much more likely have gotten a different rep. Sylveon was publicized, as was Mega Mewtwo, and both represent far more to the Pokemon franchise (particularly the Eevee line). If Sakurai was just going by what looked cool, he certainly would not have chosen another Ninja after we got Sheik- this counters his statement of 'choosing a character which provides a unique move set.' So, why did we get Greninja? Either game freak pushed Greninja, which leads us back to a Gen 3 Pokemon also being pushed by Game Freak, or Sakurai wanted to represent a water elemental in the triad he already was thinking of representing.
Excuse me for not thinking like a businessman. Not snark directed toward you Duke, snark directed toward society in general. I'm not saying that Sceptile doesn't merit inclusion, just that the ideas that Sakurai values a type trifecta, or that GameFreak is pushing a particular character, Sceptile spcifically, is nothing but speculation that one person ran with, probably first on these forums, and he being the likeliest inclusion along with Mewtwo and Jigglypuff was then set in stone.

We all seemed to think that a Blue haired FE swordsman Trio was an inevitability. Sakurai wanted said "Trifecta" and that the FE staff wanted Chrom to be their Awakening frontrunner. But we all know how that ended. This is now fact: What we thought, and what we have now.

The only Pokemon related facts we've been given are that they set a roster spot aside for an XY Pokemon, and Greninja was who they chose. Who GameFreak might suggest, or the idea that they wanted a starter, and therefore a third starter from Gen 3 to flesh out a trio are not facts, they're cool ideas that make a lot of sense.

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger
What I continually fail to communicate, apparently, is that the surge in Dark Pit's likeliness, didn't really come after the Palutena trailer, it came after Sakurai stating that a slight difference in their mechanics made Lucina a clone and not a costume. By this reasoning, people are asserting that Dark Pit would be a clone. Not an individual character with his own weapons/ or abilities, but ones similar enough to Pit. That's fine. Do it Sakurai. The problem is. Dark Pit is A PIT. He's not Dark Shadow Pit. He's not Dark Hush Pit. He's just Dark Pit. The only thing that separates him from Regular Pit, is all the Black. At least Dr. Mario has a coat and an uncovered head. Making him a completely unique character would work. Making him a Pit clone is just adding another Pit. It's like saying that Fire Mario should be his own character, even though he's a clone that does everything that Mario does, and has the same costume, just in a different color.
Dark Pit's eye-color also changes to a reddish brown and his wings have purple particle effects instead of blue, I will have you know!

Dark Pit has also the infinite power of flight via stealing Pandora's powers. It is not such a subtle difference in the grand scheme of things. He does not use Palutena's Bow either; instead, he opts to use the Silver Bow. Not only that, but he has a weapon named after him, teh (sic) Dark Pt staff.

Unless Sakurai asserts that characters who share the same model cannot be clone characters, your sentiment is completely arbitrary. You are entitled to your opinion, but that does not make it objectively true. If a lab coat is enough to warrant a character slot, Dark Pit's abilities and the notion that he is NOT JUST PIT will warrant him a character slot as well.

I rest my case, violently.

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
Sylveon was publicized, as was Mega Mewtwo, and both represent far more to the Pokemon franchise (particularly the Eevee line).
I can't help but wonder, if Sylveon will get a pokeball summon, after being reminded of Sylveon's first appearance in X & Y game leaks. Sylveon as far as I know is fairly popular in the Eevee-lutions. But Eevee is the meaning of Evolution, which is a huge aspect of Pokemon. Could that Eevee pokeball summon in Sm4sh hint at something? Nah couldn't be. . .

Edit: IDK MAAAAAAAAN. . .Purin & Eevee got some noticing & got granted with Fairy-type.
Still doubtful. . .

Last edited:

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
The type trio is the biggest tactic used in every single generation of Pokemon to market the upcoming Pokemon.
Wrong. It used to be, but the cover legendaries have definitely usurped that role for the past 4 generations.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
And yet, Charizard is running around without the rest of his group being joined at the hip. It's a notable part of the franchise, but GF does ignore it when it comes to marketing sometimes. That's why Charizard got two Megas and a lot of promotion, Blaziken got first billing, among other examples.

Yes it can, because we don't know when the game was in development nor whether GF chose to share that information with Sakurai. Particularly considering that we haven't gotten any content from those games whereas both BW and XY have.

I think I asked you this question before, but how? How does Blaziken being in XY suddenly make him less of a headstone for ORAS then Sceptile? He's a part of the advertisements (all of the same ones as Sceptile, with more due to XY), he's a notable part of those games, and he's one of the most prominent characters from those games. So how does that go out the window because he appeared a game earlier?

"Mistake" is arguable, it's a remake, not a completely new game, so they may've not put much priority for it, or they didn't start work on it yet, or it was too early in development to really give it much mind. There are many different reasons for why they may've not have mentioned it, you can't assume one scenario. Also, there have been games like Prime 3 and Galaxy that came out around the same time as Brawl in Japan, and yet those games didn't get any content either, so arguably it can happen with ORAS.

As for Greninja, you're making a lot of assumptions. Remember that when they picked him out, the game was still in development and they probably didn't even have their advertising in mind yet. Sylveon may've not been on the forefront at that point in time. As for Mewtwo, we still have to wait and see where it is first. Finally, the team could've gravitated towards Greninja because they liked what he could do, that's one of the reasons why PT and his Pokémon got in, they've done that before and it could've happened again. There's no reason to assume there's an anterior motive behind Greninja's inclusion.

Last edited:

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I want to take a minute to talk about who I want in Pokemon/what I think would make the most sense.

1- Pikachu
2- Charizard
3- Sceptile
4- Greninja
5- Lucario
6- Mewtwo
*7- Pokemon Trainer- (Utilizing Summon attacks of six basic Pokemon for summons, as well as Pokeball attacks instead of Punches and kicks, which trap opponents in different ways in the Pokeball)
*8- Pokemon Ranger- Utilizing a variety of different Eeveelutions, controlled through her stylus. I think this would cover the basis of Eevee's importance to Pokemon, allowing a very unique Pokemon character,
*9- Team Rocket- This would be A Grunt, with emphasis placed probably on Meowth, who would not fight like any other Pokemon character, and would fight like a trap-gone-wrong/gone right Looney Tune. Anime inspired, but derived from the games fully.

I think this is a way to properly cover all areas of Pokemon; all divisions of the game (including main spinoff games such as Ranger, Mystery Dungeon, Pinball, Snap), and supplementary characters. It adds in the effects of the battle mechanics, the items, the multiple battles, the strategic way in which Pokemon makes you fight, and just represents the series' beyond individual characters ever could. It is a lot, but this is why I have the starred characters, the ones who would be added if the game reached up to 65 characters, or if those spinoff games counted as subseries just as Mario games do.

BUT WHAT ABOUT JIGGLYPUFF?
There is a controversy over her. The debate is essentially that she is a staple with a heavily enjoyed moveset, and that her Intellectual Property (IP/ as a character) she is outdated.

To me, this is solved by giving her move set to another character. Sure, everyone is not happy. Some people believe that because she was in the original game, she should never be cut. I think this is a ...poor idea, because adopting to change is a necessity to life.
Yet, I can identify with the idea that her move set is amazing, and that as a simple to make character, she should stay.

I also identify with the fact that, no matter how you look at it, Pokemon is the most competitive franchise for additions. It has over 800 character options, always growing, with more than 20 games, and a fan base that is researched by economists as a phenomenon because it covers such an array of media.
We can say there are not slots, but there are not going to be thirty Pokemon characters. This is too many, and we all could understand this. Jigglypuff is, as many have said, a smash character, and it is just a little bit difficult that a smash character must occupy the seat of a character for the most competitive franchise.

SO, substitute her move set into another character. For me, I choose Boo. I love Boo, down to his name, and think he is choice one if Luigi ever does branch out enough. The move set transference is truly uncanny.
-Floatation as always
-Kicks with Tail instead of feet
-Charged pounce instead of Rollout
-Scare instead of Rest (he says, BOO)
-Intangible UP B.

Of course, Boo is just one idea for this. It could be another character. The point is, keep her move set, get rid of the outdated character. I think there is a possibility we will see this with Sheik in the future too, transference to Impa. Just, possibly.

mark welford

Smash Ace
other than the legendaries, starters and Pikachu what other pokemon are very popular I can name 1 Lucario. Lucario is a regular everyday pokemon that has its own movie
quote="DukeNapoleon, post: 17272950, member: 241220"]I want to take a minute to talk about who I want in Pokemon/what I think would make the most sense.
1- Pikachu
2- Charizard
3- Sceptile
4- Greninja
5- Lucario
6- Mewtwo
*7- Pokemon Trainer- (Utilizing Summon attacks of six basic Pokemon for summons, as well as Pokeball attacks instead of Punches and kicks, which trap opponents in different ways in the Pokeball)
*8- Pokemon Ranger- Utilizing a variety of different Eeveelutions, controlled through her stylus. I think this would cover the basis of Eevee's importance to Pokemon, allowing a very unique Pokemon character,
*9- Team Rocket- This would be A Grunt, with emphasis placed probably on Meowth, who would not fight like any other Pokemon character, and would fight like a trap-gone-wrong/gone right Looney Tune. Anime inspired, but derived from the games fully.
I think this is a way to properly cover all areas of Pokemon; all divisions of the game (including main spinoff games such as Ranger, Mystery Dungeon, Pinball, Snap), and supplementary characters. It adds in the effects of the battle mechanics, the items, the multiple battles, the strategic way in which Pokemon makes you fight, and just represents the series' beyond individual characters ever could. It is a lot, but this is why I have the starred characters, the ones who would be added if the game reached up to 65 characters, or if those spinoff games counted as subseries just as Mario games do.
BUT WHAT ABOUT JIGGLYPUFF?
There is a controversy over her. The debate is essentially that she is a staple with a heavily enjoyed moveset, and that her Intellectual Property (IP/ as a character) she is outdated.
To me, this is solved by giving her move set to another character. Sure, everyone is not happy. Some people believe that because she was in the original game, she should never be cut. I think this is a ...poor idea, because adopting to change is a necessity to life.
Yet, I can identify with the idea that her move set is amazing, and that as a simple to make character, she should stay.
I also identify with the fact that, no matter how you look at it, Pokemon is the most competitive franchise for additions. It has over 800 character options, always growing, with more than 20 games, and a fan base that is researched by economists as a phenomenon because it covers such an array of media.
We can say there are not slots, but there are not going to be thirty Pokemon characters. This is too many, and we all could understand this. Jigglypuff is, as many have said, a smash character, and it is just a little bit difficult that a smash character must occupy the seat of a character for the most competitive franchise.
SO, substitute her move set into another character. For me, I choose Boo. I love Boo, down to his name, and think he is choice one if Luigi ever does branch out enough. The move set transference is truly uncanny.
-Floatation as always
-Kicks with Tail instead of feet
-Charged pounce instead of Rollout
-Scare instead of Rest (he says, BOO)
-Intangible UP B.
Of course, Boo is just one idea for this. It could be another character. The point is, keep her move set, get rid of the outdated character. I think there is a possibility we will see this with Sheik in the future too, transference to Impa. Just, possibly.[/quote]

I thought you were a pokemon fan I thought you liked all pokemon that is such an indifference towards jigglypuff now we both know that jigglypuff is not getting replaced but a guy can dream right sheik is not getting replaced either so uh dream on!

Last edited:

Espio264

Smash Ace
Dark Pit's eye-color also changes to a reddish brown and his wings have purple particle effects instead of blue, I will have you know!

Dark Pit has also the infinite power of flight via stealing Pandora's powers. It is not such a subtle difference in the grand scheme of things. He does not use Palutena's Bow either; instead, he opts to use the Silver Bow. Not only that, but he has a weapon named after him, teh (sic) Dark Pt staff.

Unless Sakurai asserts that characters who share the same model cannot be clone characters, your sentiment is completely arbitrary. You are entitled to your opinion, but that does not make it objectively true. If a lab coat is enough to warrant a character slot, Dark Pit's abilities and the notion that he is NOT JUST PIT will warrant him a character slot as well.

I rest my case, violently.
Colorations do not a different character make. I'm sure his eyes are damn beautiful, but that point is just you enjoying your own words.

But to the actual point, Infinite flight. Great. Pandora powers. beautiful. Silver bow. Alright. Make him a different character. But if he's A CLONE, as the HEY LUCINA's A CLONE argument suggests, then he's not going to have any of that. At least not to an extent that makes any difference to his playstyle from Pit.

A lab coat is not enough to warrant a character slot. Dr. Mario should be a costume. End of statement.

You are entitled to your opinion as well, but that doesn't make it true either.

My point is, if they separate him from Pit in terms of his abilities/playstyle, then fine, he deserves a roster spot. But if he is just a clone, like Lucina is to Marth, then he may as well just be an alternate costume. If colorations is all that separates him from Pit, then he doesn't warrant his own spot.

The Black mage

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2492-4215-1228
Alrighty, so I heard from the mess that is the Super Smash Bros Miiverse, that Geno was claimed to have been shown in a section of CoroCoro that goes over Super Smash bros, two days ago. Anyone heard the same thing yet?

Morbi

Scavenger
Colorations do not a different character make. I'm sure his eyes are damn beautiful, but that point is just you enjoying your own words.

But to the actual point, Infinite flight. Great. Pandora powers. beautiful. Silver bow. Alright. Make him a different character. But if he's A CLONE, as the HEY LUCINA's A CLONE argument suggests, then he's not going to have any of that. At least not to an extent that makes any difference to his playstyle from Pit.

A lab coat is not enough to warrant a character slot. Dr. Mario should be a costume. End of statement.

You are entitled to your opinion as well, but that doesn't make it true either.

My point is, if they separate him from Pit in terms of his abilities/playstyle, then fine, he deserves a roster spot. But if he is just a clone, like Lucina is to Marth, then he may as well just be an alternate costume. If colorations is all that separates him from Pit, then he doesn't warrant his own spot.
I feel as though you are missing the point. Lucina is not relevant. Sakurai's words are relevant. He essentially confirms that characters such as Dark Pit are going to be in their own slot as opposed to an alternate costume. I do enjoy my words, but not as much as I enjoy Sakurai-senpai's words.

The Silver Bow would probably give most of his normals different properties or attributes and if he were a clone, he would animate the Silver Bow as opposed to Palutena's Bow, that much is certain. I do agree that certain aspects are disputable, such as his beautiful and immaculate Dark Pit Staff; however, he is going to have differences in the event that he is a clone. No clone in Smash is objectively a clone. There are subtle differences. Pandora's power of flight would probably entail a different recovery move and whatnot.

Dr. Mario should not be a costume. If we examine precedent, we would see that I am indeed correct.

Perhaps not, but I believe that I have supported my opinion better, and therefore, I feel as though it is the more logical opinion to adhere to. Your opinion is arbitrary, nothing indicates that Sakurai feels the same way.

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
Alrighty, so I heard from the mess that is the Super Smash Bros Miiverse, that Geno was claimed to have been shown in a section of CoroCoro that goes over Super Smash bros, two days ago. Anyone heard the same thing yet?
I certainly did not, I'd ask for that source but heavily no thanks. That's a tad interesting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom