• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
I just want Sonic's Side-Special to be changed. At least something more noticeably different. He does need some buffs as well.

And about the Snake topic:
Yeah, I'm not really a fan of Snake nor am I a fan of Metal Gear Solid, so I couldn't care less if he were to be cut. I know he has a lot of supporters though and his inclusion in Smash is, in my opinion, a miracle. So, therefore, I could see why a lot of people want him to return.

mark welford

Smash Ace
see this is what I like a group of people actively participating in a discussion I want to thank you guys even though I'm not done for this wonderful discussion and debate

Weeman

Smash Crusader
Agreed. The post did not actually alter my opinion on his chances directly, it did; however, make me realize that I was being far too presumptuous in my perspective and that I was arbitrarily disregarding certain notions, such as the fact that Snake was our first third-party character. It was easy to blatantly dismiss that as not material, but after reading the post, I have given it more thought and determined that it was relevant. Basically, it helped me dispel some longstanding biases against Snake's inclusion.

In that right, I changed my opinion. I am on the Snake plane (Snakes on a Train is overrated). :snake:
How about Snakes on a boat? :awesome:

I want you to but I don't want you to out of fear of my heart being broken about wolf
You don't want Wolf in the roster? WHAT IS THIS??!!

Xenorange

Smash Lord
I was just being facetious, I am also a Sonic fan, albeit, I am also also (sic) a Jigglypuff fan. I support clone characters such as Dark Pit, I have no right to discuss what move-sets do or do not deserve to be in the game. :p

I apologize for offending you, 'twas a (bad) joke.
I also apologize for my Jigglypuff comment, it was very insensitive and I wouldn't feel nearly as strongly about Jiggly if it weren't for my strong desire to have Sceptile playable. She's not a bad character at all. I was just being dumb.

Niala

Smash Ace
Let's talk about a lizard who's ten times more cool, powerful, and loved than Sceptile.

Other than Morbid, would you guys like to see King K. Rool? :awesome:
Would I like to see him? Sure. I think he could be interesting enough, god knows he has enough material to take from.

I still don't think he'll make the cut, though.

What can I say, I get defensive when it comes to my childhood memories. I'm an odd guy.
<3 Just gotta love your Smash community and keep yourself in check. We'll love you back~

Or, at least, I will. 8D

EDIT:
I also apologize for my Jigglypuff comment, it was very insensitive and I wouldn't feel nearly as strongly about Jiggly if it weren't for my strong desire to have Sceptile playable. She's not a bad character at all. I was just being dumb.
<333333333333~~~~~~

Last edited:

Burruni

Smash Hero
Let's talk about a lizard who's ten times more cool, powerful, and loved than Sceptile.

Other than Morbid, would you guys like to see King K. Rool? :awesome:
For a big bellied green lizard, I prefer Sceptile.
For a DK character, or a new villain, K. Rool is King.

Though, King K. Rool was only in two games. Donkey Kong 64 and Country 1. It was Kaptain K. Rool and Baron K. Roolenstein in DKC 2 and 3 which are clearly different and original. :awesome:.

Seriously, I want K. Rool moreso than other options, but not much for him by himself. Maybe it is because I haven't seen a moveset that I have really liked for him, unlike I have most other newcomers I support. (And yes I've checked the K. Rool thread).

Last edited:

mark welford

Smash Ace
I apologize about my angry outburst about sonic we can both love him right?

Masonomace

Yeah Shulk, get stuck in!
NNID
Masonomace
@ Niala Niala I need your purple text on this threads page somewhere, ANYWHERE! Edit: Never mind :D<3

For sonic tweaks from split clips of the Sonic trailer I remember, his D-air's hit-box while diving down is a confirmed Meteor Smash. & he still combo's with U-air to Spring aerials. I'm gonna miss all of his technical mechanics from Brawl & Project M like the SPDSC roll.
Spin Dash Cancel into Shield Roll was such a quick & mind-game mechanic tactic : (

Loving the forgiving love here. Humanity I believe in you again.

Last edited:

Muster

Smash Lord
NNID
Muster
3DS FC
3454-0690-6658
So...thoughts on my post?
While I love your post and anything in it as a rabid snake supporter, I do have a question about something.

One of my friends linked a Japanese tvcm (commercial I guess) that apparently did not have konamis name anywhere to be seen, stating that it deconfirmed him because the tv spot would need said credits unlike the website which lacked them before other 3rd party character announcements. What do you think of this?

TV spot is here btw
http://youtube.com/watch?v=_ePqAF4JlWY

If this actually translates to something other than a tv commercial or something, then I apologize.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
While I love your post and anything in it as a rabid snake supporter, I do have a question about something.

One of my friends linked a Japanese tvcm (commercial I guess) that apparently did not have konamis name anywhere to be seen, stating that it deconfirmed him because the tv spot would need said credits unlike the website which lacked them before other 3rd party character announcements. What do you think of this?

TV spot is here btw

If this actually translates to something other than a tv commercial or something, then I apologize.
I think it's a line of crap.

Having Konami in the commercial would automatically confirm Snake and ruin the surprise. Same thing with any other companies who will have characters in the game.

That's just me though.

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
I honestly don't care about Snake or Wolf, I would jettison almost any of the other stragglers for Lucas.
Sup
Did you lack the care to not mention about jettisoning Snake & Waffle because they give off that vibe of military theme they'd have their parachutes ready? Good luck with :4peach: & :gw: too. I'd like Lucas to return, I get soft for any sound of cuts excluding clones.

But I'd push off 1 to keep 2. Especially them two being Wolf & Snake.

Burruni

Smash Hero
My suggested change options for Sonic to make him better overall though it won't happen this game.

Basically change his aerials/tilts to Project M equivalents.

As a new Down B or Neutral B (with Homing Attack moving to Side B)
Sonic Tornado (works like Luigi or 64/Melee [Dr.]Mario's with a skinnier, but thinner hitbox). Stuck in place, Sonic spins in place to create a small vortex, pulling opponents in slightly and comboing for damage, launches Sonic into the air at the end with the height of a full jump, decent starting lag.

Or.

New Down B:
Sonic Drive/Meteor - On the ground, Sonic tosses a ring at a 60 degree angle, that will disappear after a full second of hitting the ground, but will slide slowly and has no hitbox. Upon second activation, Sonic launches to the location, but has low priority.
In the air, causes Sonic to spike to the ground and bounce off to 1.5x jump height, having super armor and mild damage on the way down. Functions like an inverse Super Dedede Jump. Does not refresh jump number.

mark welford

Smash Ace
My suggested change options for Sonic to make him better overall though it won't happen this game.

Basically change his aerials/tilts to Project M equivalents.

As a new Down B or Neutral B (with Homing Attack moving to Side B)
Sonic Tornado (works like Luigi or 64/Melee [Dr.]Mario's with a skinnier, but thinner hitbox). Stuck in place, Sonic spins in place to create a small vortex, pulling opponents in slightly and comboing for damage, launches Sonic into the air at the end with the height of a full jump, decent starting lag.

Or.

New Down B:
Sonic Drive/Meteor - On the ground, Sonic tosses a ring at a 60 degree angle, that will disappear after a full second of hitting the ground, but will slide slowly and has no hitbox. Upon second activation, Sonic launches to the location, but has low priority.
In the air, causes Sonic to spike to the ground and bounce off to 1.5x jump height, having super armor and mild damage on the way down. Functions like an inverse Super Dedede Jump. Does not refresh jump number.
you ever played sonic heroes? sonic and shadow could use the vortex to spin up poles

Last edited:

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Not the time...the quotes or the article. I tough he talked about a statement he made on a livestream, but I don't think it's the same thing.

EDIT: so it's not...

So, what about that statement?
The "recent" interview was the one where Kojima basically said, "I'm not sure about that..." in regards to Snake in Smash.

Deathcarter

Smash Lord
So...thoughts on my post?
I've always felt that if Snake wasn't returning, Konami were going to be the ones to blame. Sakurai wouldn't EVER dump Snake if he could help it, Kojima obviously would want Snake to be in given that he begged for Snake to be included to begin with and Nintendo fully trusts Sakurai (and probably likes what a big name like Snake does for sales).

But we're slightly over one month from release. I get the idea Sakurai milking Mario v Sonic v Pac-Man v Mega Man but I can't help but be worried given that we still haven't gotten a Snake reveal.

Burruni

Smash Hero
you ever played sonic heroes? sonic and shadow could use the vortex to spin up poles
...Yes, I did. But that doesn't change how that move was used in combat in the main game nor how I would envision it being brought into Smash. Especially when the only similar moves would be Luigi/Mario's struggle-smashing whirling, the Links' Spin attacks, and Breaking-The-Meta Knight's blade storm of doom.

Last edited:

Niala

Smash Ace
@ Niala Niala I need your purple text on this threads page somewhere, ANYWHERE! Edit: Never mind :D<3

For sonic tweaks from split clips of the Sonic trailer I remember, his D-air's hit-box while diving down is a confirmed Meteor Smash. & he still combo's with U-air to Spring aerials. I'm gonna miss all of his technical mechanics from Brawl & Project M like the SPDSC roll.
Spin Dash Cancel into Shield Roll was such a quick & mind-game mechanic tactic : (

Loving the forgiving love here. Humanity I believe in you again.
It really is beautiful. You can feel the love vicariously. :love:

TV spot is here btw

Hmm....

HMM.....

This might be a relevant notion, but it could just be with the intent of covering up who the other characters are. I'm leaning towards the latter, given it would mean many more contenders are potentially not possible as well. If he looked up specifically for Snake then the information is somewhat unreliable. Was, for example, Monolith Soft there? If it was, then it certainly does mean that Snake's not playable, as it indirectly confirms Shulk. If it wasn't, does that mean that Shulk is also deconfirmed? I don't think it's hard enough evidence to make anything too much out of it.

Last edited:

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
Canada, Quebec (or Rogeuport if you want)
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
The "recent" interview was the one where Kojima basically said, "I'm not sure about that..." in regards to Snake in Smash.
and the stream?

I don't have the full details, but he was implying a cut in a stream without directly saying it to then follow by saying something like if Sakurai was watching the stream to use him (implied to be snake).

That's actually why I tough it didn't look promising, but I tough you were talking about that (unless you have to say something about the stream).

Last edited:

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
I would've taken Clefairy over Jigglypuff. I was never a fan of Jigglypuff as a kid, except in the show. . . And they just ditched her.

mark welford

Smash Ace
all this talk of sonic makes me want to play a sonic game I feel sega has doing right as of lately by sonic which mean the sonic dark age could be over and thus the sonic renaissance begins a chapter of lighter brighter days of sonic

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
all this talk of sonic makes me want to play a sonic game I feel sega has doing right as of lately by sonic which mean the sonic dark age could be over and thus the sonic renaissance begins a chapter of lighter brighter days of sonic
This sounds like a Sonic Storybook adventure sequal. I'm in favor!

D

Deleted member

The dark age of Sonic has been over since either Unleashed or Colors depending on whether or not you liked the werehog or not. And then Sonic Lost World happened. Most people hated it(I actually like it, but whatever) Now Sonic Boom is happening, and that seems like it's not that good. At least the Wii U version. Sonic's a weird series.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Hey guys!
We are only a few hours away from assassination Monday

Which Retro do you think will bite the bullet today?

Or adversely, do you think Sakurai will break the chain, and reveal a retro today?

Last edited:

mark welford

Smash Ace
The dark age of Sonic has been over since either Unleashed or Colors depending on whether or not you liked the werehog or not. And then Sonic Lost World happened. Most people hated it(I actually like it, but whatever) Now Sonic Boom is happening, and that seems like it's not that good. At least the Wii U version. Sonic's a weird series.
I feel sonic boom is a little bit too much though I guess some people never heard the phrase if it aint broke don't fix it also I said lately which could mean recently

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
and the stream?

I don't have the full details, but he was implying a cut in a stream without directly saying it to then follow by saying something like if Sakurai was watching the stream to use him (implied to be snake).

That's actually why I tough it didn't look promising, but I tough you were talking about that (unless you have to say something about the stream).
It's Hideo Kojima. There's no reason to take him seriously. He could be telling the truth, but then again, it's Hideo Kojima.

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
The dark age ended since the dark ages of Sonic & the Black Night Knight. This is why the dark age needs a sequal.:smirk:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom