• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
NNID
Nightdazer
3DS FC
0731-4784-1465
Hyper Voice is, by far, the most "logical" option for Jigglypuff to use as an attack in Smash...considering it's her best primary attack option in Pokemon. 90 BP Special Normal type move? Um...yes please.

mark welford

Smash Ace
I ****ing hate Jigglypuff, Sceptile is light-years cooler. I pray to based Sakurai that he's included as a playable character. Sceptile's the only pokerep left that i REALLY want. The ideal Pokemon lineup would be Pikachu, Lucario, Mewtwo, Sceptile, Charizard and Greninja. Death to the Puff, life to the Lizard.
I like sonic but your undeserving to have him as your avatar also sakurai don't give a **** about people's feelings jigs is in no matter what people say sceptile or no sceptile not yours not mine none of our feelings

Masonomace

Yeah Shulk, get stuck in!
NNID
Masonomace
If Puff got a new Up B then it shouldn't be a recovery.
I hope others agree, but she is needing for a vertical option. I also don't want you to reply with Upward DI'd Doubleslap / Pounds to get vertical mobility, that's garbage even if you do it 6 times.:c

No Pokemon lineup is complete without Jigglypuff.
I. . .don't wanna say no to that gif, but. . .not everyone lasts forever? :crying:

D

Deleted member

I ****ing hate Jigglypuff, Sceptile is light-years cooler. I pray to based Sakurai that he's included as a playable character. Sceptile's the only pokerep left that i REALLY want. The ideal Pokemon lineup would be Pikachu, Lucario, Mewtwo, Sceptile, Charizard and Greninja. Death to the Puff, life to the Lizard.
But we already have a lizard, one with wings even! What's that, we also already have a pink puffball? Well, he's from a different series so he doesn't count. Also, I don't really care if "the original 12 must stay" is an arbitrary rule, it's a rule I follow regardless. (rereading this, it sounds a bit rude. Curse you limitations of messaging through the internet! Eh, I'll post this anyway.)

~Krystal~

True American Heroine
I sure hope Sakurai does not care for my feelings to the extent he would use a Moonstone on Jigglypuff, a Pokemon I like. That would be heartbreaking.

Niala

Smash Ace
The only problem with Mimic is that some characters recover with items; for instance, Link with his Master Sword. If Jigglypuff were to have another Nintendo characters up-special, she should have Pandora's infinite flight that Dark Pit would have had if he was playable... in the event that he is not playable.

Or she could use Hyper Voice whilst facing downward, similar to Robin's recovery move.
Most importantly, the image of Jigglypuff screaming downward and pushing herself upward is absolutely hilarious.

However, it's also worth noting that Kirby uses Marth's sword, Link's Bow and Arrow, Ike's Sword, etc. out of nowhere. I don't think it's necessarily a problem as long as the size is scaled to fit Jigglypuff as opposed to original character, as it is with Kirby. I think it would be interesting to see a second character adopt that mechanic, and what better option than the character who was made in his image?

She could even wear hats. Lovely~

Niala. . .we meet again.:shades:
Time to see green & purple again.
The colour coordination is intense. 8)

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
Hyper Voice is, by far, the most "logical" option for Jigglypuff to use as an attack in Smash...considering it's her best primary attack option in Pokemon. 90 BP Special Normal type move? Um...yes please.
Hyper Voice is a special type of attack?

How convenient for you Purin. You survive the chopping block this time around. But WE'LL GET YOU.:smirk:

CodeBlue_

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-2347-7011-5339
I find your statement extremely insulting to thew puff. I have a friend who regularly prays to her like a goddess. I don't think you should be messing with the Puff cult. :jigglypuff::jigglypuff::jigglypuff:

Also this "Sceptile is cool" chant that is going around by a certain portion of Pokémon fans on this site (and Youtube) is really getting on my nerves. I just don't like it probably because I disagree.

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger
I like sonic but your undeserving to have him as your avatar also sakurai don't give a **** about people's feelings jigs is in no matter what people say sceptile or no sceptile not yours not mine none of our feelings
First, I would like to note that this is the predominant reason that Dark Pit is likely; however, I will now contradict myself because that is always fun.

Sakurai does care about people's feelings (especially regarding the roster)... here is a source to support my assertion.

http://www.polygon.com/2013/6/17/44...director-masahiro-sakurai-character-selection

"Whether it's a minor character or a character that is one of the most highly skilled and most played," Sakurai said, "if that character is removed from the game, the people who live for that character in Smash Bros. are going to have their feelings hurt.

"I think we have to really consider that, so I take a very serious, hard look at that and have empathy for the players who look for these type of characters when we're making these decisions."

Espio264

Smash Ace
At this point, there are certain characters that people shouldn't consider belonging to a specific series, but are in fact, "Smash Characters" - and they're in, because they wouldn't be as legendary without Smash.

- Captain Falcon
- Ness
- Ice Climbers
- Game and Watch
- Falco
- and Jigglypuff. Just accept it. Smash ain't Smash without Jiggs.

NNID
Nightdazer
3DS FC
0731-4784-1465
At this point, there are certain characters that people shouldn't consider belonging to a specific series, but are in fact, "Smash Characters" - and they're in, because they wouldn't be as legendary without Smash.

- Captain Falcon
- Ness
- Ice Climbers
- Game and Watch
- Falco
I think Smash would be completely fine/better without Jigglypuff, honestly....and I've been playing Smash since I was what? 6?

Weeman

Smash Crusader
Couldn´t disagree more with you, you just can't stand Jigglypuff's cuteness and want a "badass" Pokémon :awesome:

Besides what does Sceptile friggin' has that Greninja and Charizard already don't?, apart from being a grass type, wich he doesn't even represent well. In order to match his character, Sceptile would need to just be another Greninja. At least Ivysaur would represent a Grass type's abilities better, without having redundant appearance and concept.

Like seriously, you might as well call Sceptile the "Chrom" of Pokémon reps, except not being nearly as likely to begin with.

Last edited:

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
F-Zero Captain Falcon is way better than Smash Falcon tho

Western comic book bounty hunter >>>> some tokusatsu reject

from a bitter f-zero fan

Last edited:

Autumn ♫

I'm terrible with these Custom Titles.
I find your statement extremely insulting to thew puff. I have a friend who regularly prays to her like a goddess. I don't think you should be messing with the Puff cult. :jigglypuff::jigglypuff::jigglypuff:

Also this "Sceptile is cool" chant that is going around by a certain portion of Pokémon fans on this site (and Youtube) is really getting on my nerves. I just don't like it probably because I disagree.
But...but Sceptile is cool... :(

Morbi

Scavenger

- Captain Falcon
- Ness
- Ice Climbers
- Game and Watch
- Falco
The list is entirely subjective. For instance, once Dark Pit is included as a playable character, I would add him to the list and cite the reasoning that he is essentially a Smash original character conceived in Smash, by Smash, for Smash.

But no one will agree. :shades:

Last edited:

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
First, I would like to note that this is the predominant reason that Dark Pit is likely; however, I will now contradict myself because that is always fun.

Sakurai does care about people's feelings (especially regarding the roster)... here is a source to support my assertion.

http://www.polygon.com/2013/6/17/44...director-masahiro-sakurai-character-selection

"Whether it's a minor character or a character that is one of the most highly skilled and most played," Sakurai said, "if that character is removed from the game, the people who live for that character in Smash Bros. are going to have their feelings hurt.

"I think we have to really consider that, so I take a very serious, hard look at that and have empathy for the players who look for these type of characters when we're making these decisions."
Morbid if you are the angel of your source, I'd love to be Akuma here.:smirk:

http://mynintendonews.com/2013/06/2...e-to-bring-all-characters-back-to-smash-bros/

NegativeNegativeNegativeNoteveryone'scomingbackletsprepareforit

- Captain Falcon
- Ness
- Ice Climbers
- Game and Watch
- Falco
FALCON HYES! Fun Fact: Falcon Punch was totally made-up for Captain Falcon in 64. Forever Falcon.
Ness I can relate with
IC's need grab tweaks, but they're iconic in Smash
G&W we love, well. . .I like you.
Falco...N PUNCH? Nah I'm adulting. I agree.
Purin to me has gotten very boring. If she doesn't get a re-vamp or any changes at all. Then she needs to go. Sorry:ohwell:

Pizzanigs

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Pizzanigs
I think you want to give life to the wrong lizard...

Seriously though, what's so wrong with Jigglypuff? She's a unique addition to the roster. I honestly don't think Sceptile would really be unique at all. Oh wait, I forgot, its Grass typing warrants it a spot on the roster, right? :rolleyes:

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
Couldn´t disagree more with you, you just can't stand Jigglypuff's cuteness and want a "badass" Pokémon :awesome:

Besides what does Sceptile friggin' has that Greninja and Charizard already don't?, apart from being a grass type, wich he doesn't even represent well. In order to match his character, Sceptile would need to just be another Greninja. At least Ivysaur would represent a Grass type's abilities better, without having redundant appearance and concept.

Like seriously, you might as well call Sceptile the "Chrom" of Pokémon reps, except not being nearly as likely to begin with.
He is a Grass Raptor, the Forest Master. Your Blue Water Ninja Amphibian & Orange Fire wannabe-but-is-a-X-Dragon can respect that.:seuss:

Last edited:

Oz37

Smash Journeyman
NNID
smozzy

And see, this here is why I loathe it when people go around saying "(X character) should be cut!" Great, you are more than entitled to your opinion, hate any character you like. But you aren't the only person who is going to play this game. The character you want gone may be (and certainly is) someone else's favorite character. I know we're talking about video games, and I know that this is the infamous internet, but I really wish people could exercise a little empathy.

Last edited:

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
Sceptile is unique in the sense that it's a fast grass type, which are normally slow as hell.

Not that it matters.

Xenorange

Smash Lord
Don't talk about Sonic, you'll start a real fight with me.

Niala

Smash Ace
Jigglypuff already has 5 jumps for crying out loud, I don't think a recovery is needed, Up-B just needs to be improved to be useful in the air somehow.
I'd go a step further and say that her UpB needs to be improved so that it's usable. As it stands, the time people are asleep is less than the time you're singing. It's really terrible.

- Captain Falcon
- Ness
- Ice Climbers
- Game and Watch
- Falco
While the contents of your list are debatable, I think you have the general idea correct. There are characters who will likely remain in Smash simply because they are iconic representative of their series in Smash, not necessarily just of their series.

http://mynintendonews.com/2013/06/2...e-to-bring-all-characters-back-to-smash-bros/

FALCON HYES! Fun Fact: Falcon Punch was totally made-up for Captain Falcon in 64. Forever Falcon.
Ness I can relate with
Purin to me has gotten very boring. If she doesn't get a re-vamp or any changes at all. Then she needs to go. Sorry:ohwell:
I always thought Falcon Punch came from this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=esY2zdIsKaI

Last edited:

~Krystal~

True American Heroine
I think if nothing else, Sceptile is a solid choice for DLC. I for one would gladly dish to have him on my roster.

mark welford

Smash Ace
smash in terms is the most unique fighting game out there you get a invitation to smash you have officially reached the top I think it would not be a stretch to say none of the fighting games now have can live up to smash expectations and sony trying to rip-off smash with that sony all-stars is not a good idea because if your messing with smash your messing with the king of fighting games which you cant win

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
Some out-of-the-question callouts & argumentative opinions here. And I just finished debating with @ Espio264 Espio264 & now we're making funny joke puns. LETS DO THIS.
No need to flake on Sceptile guys, he's a pretty good candidate Smash. Bros., I just think it's way too late to consider for the main roster.
Three Days Grace - Never Too Late
I always thought Falcon Punch came from this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=esY2zdIsKaI
Nope hotness, that anime's ending Falcon Punch was inspired from Sakurai's Falcon Punch in the games being so popular & iconic to millions worldwide. They appreciated that & animated a scene out of the move. Much kudos & resepct to that.:shades:

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger
Don't talk about Sonic, you'll start a real fight with me.
It is ironic that you enjoy Sonic's move-set over Jigglypuff's because they are polar opposites. Jigglypuff has a unique play-style as a longstanding veteran and Sonic has the most uninspired, unoriginal play-style to ever grace Smash, I am not sure why they brought him back. Sakurai should have just included Mega Man and left it at that. It would be such a horrible fate to have to endure Sonic another time without Snake. Cutting Snake and not Sonic would be utterly irrational.

Hehehee.

No need to flake on Sceptile guys, he's a pretty good candidate Smash. Bros., I just think it's way too late to consider for the main roster.
"It's not too late, it's never too late!"

Greninja'd by @ Masonomace Masonomace

Sceptile is unique in the sense that it's a fast grass type, which are normally slow as hell.

Not that it matters.
Is he not also the first Grass-Dragon type via Mega Evolution?

Last edited:

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Alright, so about Snake...

There's some misconceptions on his chances for this game in my honest opinion. I think most people who want him out of the game are people who have never played Metal Gear Solid and are biased against it because it's "violent and gritty". However, if you've played essentially any title in the MGS series, you would know it hardly takes itself seriously, and it is goofy quite a bit of the time.

A lot of people in the Smash speculation community (not just here) like to say that Snake doesn't fit and should be cut. That's entirely subjective. My opinion that he fit just fine is also subjective. However, Sakurai's opinion actually lines up with mine. Coincidentially, so does Satoru Iwata's. Just read the interview from an Iwata Ask's episode in which Sakurai is talked to about Snake and Sonic. Here is an except:

Sakurai
Correct. I know I’m the one who’s being interviewed, but I’d like to ask you how Nintendo felt about having outsiders in the game.

Iwata
You mean, whether or not it was okay?

Sakurai
Right.

Iwata
Everyone understood for the most part since that’s the nature of Smash Bros. However, there were debates about where to draw the line. For the most part though, it was readily solved since we were comfortable that you were in charge for the selection. I myself thought it was best to make the game as inclusive and entertaining as possible since festive opportunities like Smash Bros. come along only once in a great while.

Sakurai
I’m glad everyone felt they could trust me. For my part, I have no regrets about incorporating Snake and Sonic into the game and I think their inclusion was well worthwhile.

Iwata
Now that you’ve put them in the game, can you tell me what they’re like?

Sakurai
Hmm, what should I say? I think they’re solid characters with a lot of potential.

Iwata
Because they’re non-Nintendo characters?

Sakurai
Right. They’ve certainly have a distinct feel to them. It’s not that I was consciously trying to design Nintendo and non-Nintendo characters, but ultimately, I feel they’re molded differently than the other characters as far as the laws of Smash Bros. are concerned.

Iwata
I was impressed with the end results. They blend in as if they’ve always been there yet also possess a fresh, new aura.
If you look at a few of the parts I highlighted, you will realize that:

1) Iwata looks at it as both Sonic AND Snake fit into the environment of the game, and seem as if they've always been a part of the series.
- Basically, the argument that "Snake doesn't fit!" means nothing. Subjectively, you may think he doesn't fit, but the people whose thoughts matter most believe the opposite.

2) There was indeed internal debate on "where to draw the line" on 3rd Party characters in Smash. As found in a different interview with Hideo Kojima, he mentions that the Nintendo big-wigs weren't keen on the idea of Snake because he was "too Sony". This creates a hypocritical situation. However, I believe Sakurai's work convinced Iwata that it was a good choice, and it was because of the trust in Sakurai that Snake was allowed in the game.

Moving onto a point that may not bear too much prominence, but think about this...Smash Bros. has never completely lost a series before. We've lost characters, but we've never lost an entire series. If Snake is cut, that means that that will finally actually happen. We would lose a unique stage, trophies from various games of the series, and above all else, the iconic protagonist who had one of the most unique movesets in the series. It would be rather unfortunate as a fan of both Smash and Metal Gear.

Snake's position with Nintendo hasn't really changed at all. Around the time of Brawl, he had a remake in The Twin Snakes, and had MGS4 coming out on the heels of Brawl. Sakurai has made it known that he has no ****s to give about console wars as we know, so the current situation with Ground Zeroes/The Phantom Pain is comparable and negligible.

If Sakurai really cared about Snake predominantly being on competitor consoles, he wouldn't have been in the game in the first place. Actually, if IWATA cared as much as people claim he would, then why is content from Guns of the Patriots in the game in the first place? Portable Ops? There is a fair amount of content from games not on Nintendo consoles.

So far, several of the reasons against Snake that people use have been cast aside. The fact that he "isn't Nintendo" and/or "doesn't fit" can't really be used as a solid argument against him (pun not intended) based on the fact that Sakurai and Iwata disagree based on the interview I included.

I also find that Snake being the first 3rd Party character EVER introduced to Smash Bros. is something that shouldn't go unnoticed. I feel as if it will be a strange feeling without him based on his impact on the series. Removing him now will never erase him from Smash Bros. He's been a Smash Brother, so he's ALWAYS a Smash Brother.

The only way I could see him not being in this game, is if the initial contract to have Snake in Brawl was a one-time deal. That is simply the only way I see it at this point. There is nothing significant against him. The recent interview with Kojima can't really be taken either way, as the wording was strange, and Kojima is a complete troll. So really, you never can tell. (he DID have a smirk on his face...)

Why hasn't Snake been revealed yet? Well think of it this way. Mario v Sonic v Mega Man v Pac-Man is a gamer's dream come true. It's something that has never happened before. That picture of the four of them on Miiverse is something that Sakurai milked for awhile, and it makes sense to not have had Snake in it. It would have been awkward, and I'm a huge fan of the character and what he can do.

It makes more sense to me to reveal him later than that, and take advantage of his always amazing introduction of, "Kept you waiting, huh?". A lot of people expect him to be gone, so what better way to surprise everybody than reveal him just before the end of things?

At the end of the day, I could easily be proven wrong in the next few weeks. I hope I'm not, but I accept the fact that I might be wrong, and will have to suffer the pain of having one of my favorite characters in Brawl removed. That said, I am pioneering a Snake for Smash DLC campaign just in case, so if you are interested in following that effort, you can find it on Twitter at @Snake4Smash4.

Thanks for reading. I hope I convinced at least a few people. I think Snake gets a lot of unwarranted hate, and I hope that changes.

Espio264

Smash Ace
I think Smash would be completely fine/better without Jigglypuff, honestly....and I've been playing Smash since I was what? 6?
I've been playing Smash since I was ten, when Smash 64 came out, when the Original 12 was all we had, and there was no such thing as a competitive scene or high hopes for a sequel. It was just plain fun. There's not been Smash without Jiggs yet, so until that day comes, you can't say it'll be better without him/her/it. I don't care all that much for Jiggs either, but Smash is Nintendo Celebration. Smash is nostalgia from when I was ten. It's not a grab bag of characters that people think are worthwhile.

The list is entirely subjective. For instance, once Dark Pit is included as a playable character, I would add him to the list and cite the reasoning that he is essentially a Smash original character conceived in Smash, by Smash, for Smash.

But no one will agree. :shades:
My list included characters that have made it into at least two games, and whose fanbases probably wouldn't be nearly as big without their inclusion in Smash. I'd say that we can add Wolf, Lucas and ROB to the list if and when they make it back too. And though you know my feeling on Dark Pit, your point is valid. But he can't be added to the list until he's a character. Which he's not.

Plus....................... conceived in Smash as a Palette swap. Long live Dark Pit's legacy.

Ness I can relate with
You totally get it. Whether or not Jiggs gets anymore fun, doesn't mean a cut is merited. Mario never gets anymore fun for me, but the Justice League ain't the Justice League without Superman. Jiggs is Aquaman. Nobody really gives a ****, but when he's not there, you notice it.

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
It is ironic that you enjoy Sonic's move-set over Jigglypuff's because they are polar opposites. Jigglypuff has a unique play-style as a longstanding veteran and Sonic has the most uninspired, unoriginal play-style to ever grace Smash, I am not sure why they brought him back. Sakurai should have just included Mega Man and left it at that. It would be such a horrible fate to have to endure Sonic another time without Snake. Cutting Snake and not Sonic would be utterly irrational.

Hehehee.

"It's not too late, it's never too late!"

Is he not also the first Grass-Dragon type via Mega Evolution?
Some out-of-the-question callouts & argumentative opinions here. And I just finished debating with @ Espio264 Espio264 & now we're making funny joke puns. LETS DO THIS.

Nope hotness, that anime's ending Falcon Punch was inspired from Sakurai's Falcon Punch in the games being so popular & iconic to millions worldwide. They appreciated that & animated a scene out of the move. Much kudos & resepct to that.:shades:
Yes I finally ninja'd Morbid!

Xenorange

Smash Lord
I think you want to give life to the wrong lizard...

Seriously though, what's so wrong with Jigglypuff? She's a unique addition to the roster. I honestly don't think Sceptile would really be unique at all. Oh wait, I forgot, its Grass typing warrants it a spot on the roster, right? :rolleyes:
He can shoot lasers, he can sap health, he can make leaf blades, he can make leaf tornadoes, he can grapple with vines, he can shoot seed bombs, his mega form can shoot his tail as a torpedo and he has leech seed.

Niala

Smash Ace
It's not too late, it's never too late!" Greninja'd by @ Masonomace Masonomace
C'mon people, what is this, not a Smash forum?

"Anything can change!"

And I learned a thing today. 8) Thank you~

Weeman

Smash Crusader
He can shoot lasers, he can sap health, he can make leaf blades, he can make leaf tornadoes, he can grapple with vines, he can shoot seed bombs, his mega form can shoot his tail as a torpedo and he has leech seed.
He would just be another sword user :awesome:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom