• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

Am I the only one who would be completely fine with Pikachu, Greninja, Charizard, Lucario, Jigglypuff and Mewtwo being our Pokemon characters? 6 Pokemon to compare to a team in one of the games, and all of them are pretty damn unique and popular to boot.

Anyway, I might throw a post together on what we know about Snake at this point and why I think he shouldn't be counted out just yet. Maybe.
I never really expected more than six pokemon. If we didn't get Mewtwo, I thought we would get sceptile(I would prefer Mewtwo for the record) The only way I would see more than six is with squirtle and ivysaur with DLC.

NNID
Nightdazer
3DS FC
0731-4784-1465
Honestly, having Mewtwo and Jigglypuff return would be completely acceptable in my book.
However, having Mewtwo and Sceptile would be the absolute best case scenario. Sorry Jigs, you've had your time to shine.

mark welford

Smash Ace
Honestly, having Mewtwo and Jigglypuff return would be completely acceptable in my book.
However, having Mewtwo and Sceptile would be the absolute best case scenario. Sorry Jigs, you've had your time to shine.
sorry but jigs isn't going anywhere sceptile or no sceptile jigglypuff has the bigger fanbase

Espio264

Smash Ace
Dark Pit also has Sakurai's assertions in his favor... but yeah, he is just skating around the "prominently featured in a video" theory that did not amount to much of his support, of course. I suppose these words do not exist because it is best to pretend that they do not exist, correct?
/violent sarcasm

However, even though Lucina shares her physical stats and techniques with Marth, the characteristics of their attacks differ. When two such similar characters function in an even slightly different manner, I give them a separate spot on the roster since that will affect battle records and whatnot. In that sense, you could say she was very lucky to join the fray!
I finally saw Guardians today, and I'm taking your violent sarcasm as if it were straight from Rocket's mouth. And it makes me want to respect you that much more.

However, my point with this post, is not that Dark Pit isn't being supported, but that his support's recent surge is based on unfounded theories. Game and Watch appeared at the end of Pac's trailer, and he's a given. So Dark Pit at the end of Palutena's trailer fits in the same boat is one "pattern." Another is the wide variety of Uprising stuff in this game. That amounts to another Uprising character, apparently. The other, as you've kindly stated, is that Lucina being a Marth clone makes Dark Pit as a clone a reasonable conclusion. Lucina and Marth share a moveset, but not a FACE like Pit/Dark Pit. If her name was GIRL MARTH and she got her own space, then yes, go Dark Pit. The "pattern" is that, since he did it with Marth and Lucina, he'll do it with Pit and Dark Pit. One piece of data does not make a pattern.

And you know what all this heated fighting between everybody over character speculation really is?

- A bunch of jack asses standing around in a circle.

Morbi

Scavenger
I finally saw Guardians today, and I'm taking your violent sarcasm as if it were straight from Rocket's mouth. And it makes me want to respect you that much more.

However, my point with this post, is not that Dark Pit isn't being supported, but that his support's recent surge is based on unfounded theories. Game and Watch appeared at the end of Pac's trailer, and he's a given. So Dark Pit at the end of Palutena's trailer fits in the same boat is one "pattern." Another is the wide variety of Uprising stuff in this game. That amounts to another Uprising character, apparently. The other, as you've kindly stated, is that Lucina being a Marth clone makes Dark Pit as a clone a reasonable conclusion. Lucina and Marth share a moveset, but not a FACE like Pit/Dark Pit. If her name was GIRL MARTH and she got her own space, then yes, go Dark Pit. The "pattern" is that, since he did it with Marth and Lucina, he'll do it with Pit and Dark Pit. One piece of data does not make a pattern.

And you know what all this heated fighting between everybody over character speculation really is?

- A bunch of jack ***** standing around in a circle.
Dark Pit Rocket for Smash!

I suppose that is correct; however, I would not necessarily assert that a pattern is the evidence that I am citing. I am; more or less, quite literally citing the words from the source that indicate that it is not only possible, but probable that Dark Pit might be his own character.

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
Do people really dislike Jigglypuff that much? Screw Sceptile, I'd take Jiggs any day.
I'd rather have someone like Blaziken, Gengar, Plusle/Minun, Garvedoir, Zoroark, Zangoose, Snivy, Hawlucha, or Monferno over either of them

Last edited:

Niala

Smash Ace
I find it hard to believe JIgglypuff would ever leave. The only thing that suggests that she might be getting the boot is that, well, a lot of Pokemon have, it seems. The high majority of characters who have been dropped in Smash have been Pokemon, exactly half, in fact, assuming you count Snake, Ivysaur, and Squirtle, who aren't technically deconfirmed yet. That being said, she was revealed, officially, almost two months after Brawl's North American release. Even if she isn't revealed before the game comes out, she'll be in it.

Last edited:

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988
I find it hard to believe JIgglypuff would ever leave. The only thing that suggests that she might be getting the boot is that, well, a lot of Pokemon have, it seems. The high majority of characters who have been dropped in Smash have been Pokemon, exactly half, in fact, assuming you count Snake, Ivysaur, and Squirtle, who aren't technically deconfirmed yet. That being said, she was revealed, officially, almost two months after Brawl's North American release. Even if she isn't revealed before the game comes out, she'll be in it.
Eventually I could see her being phased out of playability.

Morbi

Scavenger
Do people really dislike Jigglypuff that much? Screw Sceptile, I'd take Jiggs any day.
Jigglypuff thrives off of the hate, it does not matter if people do not want her, she will just drink their salty, salty tears on the moment of her reveal. In fact, that should be part of her reveal trailer.

They might as well throw in Dark Pit while they are at it. Screw the antagonist trailer idea, we need a salt trailer.

Last edited:
NNID
Nightdazer
3DS FC
0731-4784-1465
sorry but jigs isn't going anywhere sceptile or no sceptile jigglypuff has the bigger fanbase
She's no longer relevant in Pokemon by any sense. That alone is reason enough to think she might get the boot. Don't think that the "012 status" guarantees anybody, especially since Ness almost got the boot in both Melee and Brawl because of Lucas.

Espio264

Smash Ace
Dark Pit Rocket for Smash!

I suppose that is correct; however, I would not necessarily assert that a pattern is the evidence that I am citing. I am; more or less, quite literally citing the words from the source that indicate that it is not only possible, but probable that Dark Pit might be his own character.
Well maybe "pattern" isn't the correct wording for it. Maybe I'm searching for if/then conclusion.

People seem to think that if :4marth:/:4lucina: then :4pit:/ Dark :4pit:.

The difference is that they share stats/characteristics/height/what have you...

My argument against Dark Pit is that, even if his moves differ slightly, they still share a 1.) Face 2.) Physical manifestation 3.) Name
- Take the "Dark" outta "Dark Pit" and you still have "Pit". You can't take the "Marth" outta "Lucina."

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988
She's no longer relevant in Pokemon by any sense. That alone is reason enough to think she might get the boot. Don't think that the "012 status" guarantees anybody, especially since Ness almost got the boot in both Melee and Brawl because of Lucas.
I think Ness has much more chance than Jigglypuff of returning as he is essentially the Mother Mascot now.

Autumn ♫

I'm terrible with these Custom Titles.
I'll give you Melee, and I completely agree with you with just about everything, but I do think Ness was going to be cut in Brawl.

Morbi

Scavenger
Jigglypuff is still relevant to Pokemon, you may not have heard of it; but, not even a year ago, she was confirmed to have a type change. She is currently a fairy-type. :troll:

mark welford

Smash Ace
I don't see why people refer to pokemon as he or she when the official pokedex refer to pokemon as it not a gender I don't refer to a pokemon as a gender and rarely in the series other than the video games show a pokemon's gender
trust me that is not happening either to jigs so much hate for such a loveable pokemon

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988
Jigglypuff is still relevant to Pokemon, you may not have heard of it; but, not even a year ago, she was confirmed to have a type change. She is currently a fairy-type. :troll:
Even though you can't catch her until right before gym 8 and she can only learn 1 learn fairy move naturally.

Last edited:

ZecaOMestre

Smash Apprentice
Whimsicott also became a Fairy-type, doesn't make it relevant. I love Jiggs, but the only reason for him to be in the game is because he's been since the first one

mark welford

Smash Ace
dude this argument pointless no matter your preference which sakurai could give 2 ***** about jigs is in with or without sceptile and ness is a unrelated series

Morbi

Scavenger
Even though you can't catch her until right before gym 8 and she can only learn 1 learn fairy move naturally.
In the same area where you catch Ditto and Zoroark; the area right before Mewtwo's dwelling, coincidence? I think... not!

Whimsicott also became a Fairy-type, doesn't make it relevant. I love Jiggs, but the only reason for him to be in the game is because he's been since the first one
Jigglypuff is still relevant by definition.

Niala

Smash Ace
I don't see why people refer to pokemon as he or she when the official pokedex refer to pokemon as it not a gender I don't refer to a pokemon as a gender and rarely in the series other than the video games show a pokemon's gender
Well, three things. One, Jigglypuffs are predominantly female, so referring to her as such is logical. Two, typing out "Jigglypuff" instead of "she" or "her" is long and unnecessary given you're already aware about whom we're discussing. Three, English has no gender neutral pronouns which describe a single entity, although admittedly plenty of non-cis people ask to be referred to as "they." But that's not exactly a discussion for here and now.

EDIT: sorry missed this.

Perhaps eventually, but with two Pokemon already presumably having been phased out of this iteration, I don't see it happening right now.

Last edited:

Masonomace

Yeah Shulk, get stuck in!
NNID
Masonomace
I definitely forgot to say this but Welcome to SmashBoards @ChaosNeo45 :shades:.
Finishing up the quote posts with ya Espio. Thanks for Posting

Mewtwo, Jigglypuff, Squirtle and Ivysaur outrank Sceptile because they were a REALITY at one point. Sceptile has never been anything more than HOPE. You can put a tangible value on those four, not an accurate one mind you, but they've got something to go on. You can't do more than speculate on Sceptile.

Your points about the Pokemon company's recommendations to Sakurai are all very likely, but they're still speculation. Same goes for ORAS. Who's to say they told him ANYTHING about these new games? He might have been able to infer they were coming eventually, but what all they entailed were none of his business. Who's to say he even gave a damn about the ORAS games anyway? Your thoughts on them wanting to use Sceptile to promote them, though they make sense, are still speculation. I mean, perhaps there's a FE game in the works that features Roy, do we need him back to promote said future game?

My point is, if ORAS is what makes Sceptile so much more likely, then we're getting Blaziken instead. I mean, the Pokemon Company couldn't wait for ORAS to show him to us in Mega form, he's clearly their pic for a 3rd generation rep. If it comes down to the PC making business decisions, that's it. If it comes down to Sakurai choosing who he wants... there'll be no 3rd Gen Pokemon. Hold out hope for Zoroark.
The pokemon MIA are all walking on ice when there's 4 existing in the roster, & those 4 veterans / returning fighters still to be announced. Sceptile compared to veterans & returning fighters, he is outranked from relevance to Smash Bros., but he's still a potential newcomer for Pokemon's franchise. His likeliness & possibility rate make him more than one can just hope for it to happen. Anyone who's not confirmed whether they be a veteran or newcomer, is still hanging onto speculation for their future debut in Smash Bros..

Sry but ty for the points. Game Freak themselves would be the say to tell Sakurai about the new games, not saying they did, I'm saying they would if they wanted to promote their pokemon to Sakurai through his SSB games. A double marketing ploy such as promoting X & Y, and ORAS in Sm4sh would be a huge turn in favor of GF, very heavily in their favor. And please refrain from comparing FE's character Roy against Sceptile's promotion. That contrast just isn't required & is uneccessary.

Your point is noted no worries, although your big IFs on your point don't need a reply, Zoroark is practically a pokeball. Moving on, I wanna hear about @Scoliosis Jones 's points on SNake returning much more.

I'd rather have someone like Blaziken, Gengar, Plusle/Minun, Garvedoir, Zoroark, Zangoose, Snivy, Hawlucha, or Monferno over either of them
Gengar wins ggs
Approved, except I want the O12 to somewhat return. Purin is a relic of ancient Smash Bros history, but I can see Sakurai keeping her still thinking of Kirby inside, re-vamping with that fairy type. There's Kirby in everyone.

Last edited:

NickerBocker

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2492-4251-5054
Jiggs isn't going anywhere. She's relevant in Smash, so i don't think she will leave.

But for the love of god Sakurai, change that up b to something that I can actually use. Change her sing to a taunt that does the same effect.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
How is Jigglypuff not relevant?

She's been in every Pokemon game. She's clearly relevant. The word you guys want to use is prominent.

Oz37

Smash Journeyman
NNID
smozzy
I think attention should be drawn back to Sakurai's commentary on cuts. I am sourceless, but it's well known that Sakurai said he didn't prefer to make cuts because of not wanting to cut a player's favorite character. Jigglypuff is a unique fighter, one of the long-runners, and therefore unlikely to be cut in my opinion. Honestly, I believe even the Brawl clones are all likely to return given Sakurai's comment. The only exceptions being Squirtle/Ivysaur in favor of making a full, non-transforming character out of PT, and Snake (though I won't be shocked should he also return).

Last edited:

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
Jiggs isn't going anywhere. She's relevant in Smash, so i don't think she will leave.

But for the love of god Sakurai, change that up b to something that I can actually use. Change her sing to a taunt that does the same effect.
Finally glad to see discussion about change to Purin's :GCU::GCB:.

Last edited:

Niala

Smash Ace
I realize this is probably a unique opinion, but that is an incredibly uninspired list of Pokemon for Smash. It's almost entirely bipedal Pokemon with incredibly similar, humanoid proportions. I can't say I agree with that sentiment, no offense meant.

That's a good solution, actually. I doubt I would have ever thought of it myself, but changing her Sing to a taunt and giving her something relevant as an UpSpecial would be perfect.

Last edited:

Espio264

Smash Ace
I definitely forgot to say this but Welcome to SmashBoards @ChaosNeo45 :shades:.
Finishing up the quote posts with ya Espio. Thanks for Posting

The pokemon MIA are all walking on ice when there's 4 existing in the roster, & those 4 veterans / returning fighters still to be announced. Sceptile compared to veterans & returning fighters, he is outranked from relevance to Smash Bros., but he's still a potential newcomer for Pokemon's franchise. His likeliness & possibility rate make him more than one can just hope for it to happen. Anyone who's not confirmed whether they be a veteran or newcomer, is still hanging onto speculation for their future debut in Smash Bros..

Sry but ty for the points. Game Freak themselves would be the say to tell Sakurai about the new games, not saying they did, I'm saying they would if they wanted to promote their pokemon to Sakurai through his SSB games. A double marketing ploy such as promoting X & Y, and ORAS in Sm4sh would be a huge turn in favor of GF, very heavily in their favor. And please refrain from comparing FE's character Roy against Sceptile's promotion. That contrast just isn't required & is uneccessary.

But at least they're on the ice. No one has any proof that Sceptile even made it to the Winter Wonderland.

And your case for promotion is exactly right, but it still doesn't point to Sceptile, it points to a 3rd generation Pokemon. Which takes us back to my original point of the Fire/Water/Grass trio is a made up theory/pattern/if-then conclusion. Why can't we have Mega Swampert? or Mega Salamence? Ivysaur proved a quadrupedal character is possible. Crap, give me Cacturne. There's your grass/cool/bipedal/Gen 3 character right there. Sceptile makes absolute sense, but has no facts to support his inclusion. Put him on your roster, love him to death, I'm all for it, but don't assume that it's a certainty he's coming.

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
She could inflate and float in the air, perhaps gaining some altitude... like a balloon. Because she is a balloon Pokemon.

Would be really weird if they somehow made a hot air balloon out of her body or something to move upwards

...wait that actually sounds pretty wicked considering Jiggs can learn Flamethrower

Xenorange

Smash Lord
I ****ing hate Jigglypuff, Sceptile is light-years cooler. I pray to based Sakurai that he's included as a playable character. Sceptile's the only pokerep left that i REALLY want. The ideal Pokemon lineup would be Pikachu, Lucario, Mewtwo, Sceptile, Charizard and Greninja. Death to the Puff, life to the Lizard.

Morbi

Scavenger
Off the top of my head, Mimic is a move she can learn. Perhaps she can use it to Mimic a targets UpSpecial, and then has continual use of that specific special until dies, and respawns with a fresh slate.

She could even get rid of it with a taunt. :jigglypuff:=:kirby2:?
The only problem with Mimic is that some characters recover with items; for instance, Link with his Master Sword. If Jigglypuff were to have another Nintendo characters up-special, she should have Pandora's infinite flight that Dark Pit would have had if he was playable... in the event that he is not playable.

Or she could use Hyper Voice whilst facing downward, similar to Robin's recovery move.

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
I realize this is probably a unique opinion, but that is an incredibly uninspired list of Pokemon for Smash. It's almost entirely bipedal Pokemon with incredibly similar proportions. I can't say I agree with that sentiment, no offense meant.

That's a good solution, actually. I doubt I would have ever thought of it myself, but changing her Sing to a taunt and giving her something relevant as an UpSpecial would be perfect.
Niala. . .we meet again.:shades:
Time to see green & purple again.

She could inflate and float in the air, perhaps gaining some altitude... like a balloon. Because she is a balloon Pokemon.
I love this idea. I shared a similar idea to the Jiggs thread about "colelcting" air intake each time using a jump. Then varying on how many times you "intake air" for each jump, you release out for your Delfating UpB. Thank you Morbid.
But at least they're on the ice. No one has any proof that Sceptile even made it to the Winter Wonderland.

And your case for promotion is exactly right, but it still doesn't point to Sceptile, it points to a 3rd generation Pokemon. Which takes us back to my original point of the Fire/Water/Grass trio is a made up theory/pattern/if-then conclusion. Why can't we have Mega Swampert? or Mega Salamence? Ivysaur proved a quadrupedal character is possible. Crap, give me Cacturne. There's your grass/cool/bipedal/Gen 3 character right there. Sceptile makes absolute sense, but has no facts to support his inclusion. Put him on your roster, love him to death, I'm all for it, but don't assume that it's a certainty he's coming.
:urg:, I forgot my wallet at the igloo. Sceptile de-confirmed for Ice skating. .
If not for Sceptile's sake of playable status, I want a Gen 3 starter to have recognition for that status, preferrable Swampert or Sceptile, but I've been swayed that Blaziken can bring unique tricks, game-play, & mechanics to Sm4sh's table. I've dreamed of those muscles to be in Sm4sh, I have yet to see Mega Sceptile I need that to burn into my retina's. The only real solid semi-points I can make for Sceptile to end it off are Robin's Elwind slashing green strikes, his healing / dealing / cursing mechanic from Nosferatu, & Megaman's leaf Shield cutting SFX similar to Elwind's SFX. Oh & Yoshi's removed dinosaur back-bent idle animation, which is open for grabs. Ridley, K.rool you want this?:troll:

SmashBro99

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4957-2747-2945
I ****ing hate Jigglypuff, Sceptile is light-years cooler. I pray to based Sakurai that he's included as a playable character. Sceptile's the only pokerep left that i REALLY want. The ideal Pokemon lineup would be Pikachu, Lucario, Mewtwo, Sceptile, Charizard and Greninja. Death to the Puff, life to the Lizard.
Could not agree more. But Jigglypuff will be in...it's an original and "omg it has a new type now so kewl!"...what a shame.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom